Great News For Tournament Operators

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Obviously you play in very few medium or high dollar events. Every event I attend where the racker is NOT the breaker, there is an argument over whether the rack is straight, tight or patterned. Even when the racker is the breaker, the opponent will challenge the rack as too loose, too crooked, too patterned ad nausium. Wish I lived where you are so I can avoid those conflicts. Till then, Paul's "No Conflict Rules" work just fine for me. Played in the last event. Had a great time. Only thing I wasn't 100% satisfied with was the bracketing. In most events when you get to the final four winners, you finish no lower than 5/6. Which I did. Due to Paul's brackets, I finished 6/8 instead. Not the end of the world but a small problem in my mind. Still going to return for his next event. You should try one!

Lyn

Ya I guess that must be true ,, APT, Viking, Mezz, planet pool ,SBE, and MD state championships are about all I play in

with players such as

Bradon Shuff
Mike Davis
Rob Seaz
Shaun Wilki
Matt Krah
Max Embre
Bobby Chamberlin
Adam Kieler
Ryann McCreash

just to name a few ball bangers

Paul Schofield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ya I guess that must be true ,, APT, Viking, Mezz, planet pool ,SBE, and MD state championships are about all I play in

with players such as

Bradon Shuff
Mike Davis
Rob Seaz
Shaun Wilki
Matt Krah
Max Embre
Bobby Chamberlin
Adam Kieler
Ryann McCreash

You can name drop all you want but if you don't know that there is a huge problem here, you will have a hard time convincing anyone that you are aware of what is going on around you....and for that matter, what is being done to you.

smoooothstroke

JerLaw
Silver Member
Paul don't get bogged down with all the negitivity.You have created something that is usefull here.I doubt it is perfect.All that matters is wether or not TDs like it and use it.

Debate is great I just don't want to see this dragged into the morass.

Paul Schofield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Paul don't get bogged down with all the negitivity.You have created something that is usefull here.I doubt it is perfect.All that matters is wether or not TDs like it and use it.

Debate is great I just don't want to see this dragged into the morass.

I really am trying to make an instructive point here. I should have said more. There really are players out there that are completely unaware that there is a problem and that it matters to their game.

Last year I had a tournament director / player drive 100 miles to Erie to play and watch one of my events. He was a really great guy. At the conclusion, he came to me and said that the No Conflict Rules were over the top and were really not necessary. I encouraged him to pay close attention to the next tournament he ran. I told him what to look for. He came back to me and said that to his surprise, almost every player was pattern racking at one level or another. He then stated that pattern racking didn't mean anything and does not effect anything. I had him run a test. I had him pattern rack the 2 & 3 in the offensive position, break the balls 25 times, and record how many times he got to the 4. He was then to pattern rack the 2 & 3 in the defensive position and record how many times he got to the 4. The point was made.

I then explained to him all the rack rigging that goes on where the ball on the break is concerned. By this time he was a little more receptive.

There are some very fine players that are in complete denial, to their own detriment.

inside_english

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice job!

You have put a lot of thought into this. Please ignore the negative feedback. Actually, please try to separate the negative feedback from the constructive criticism.

I agree with another poster in that there is nothing wrong with shaking things up a bit and thinking outside the box.

A lot of people hate the Magic Rack, or the fact the the nine ball does not count on the break in some events, etc. There will always be those that reject change simply because...

They refuse to entertain anything different.

I see no harm in modifying a format that saves time. We have all played in events where you are waiting for hours because the TD can't handle his/her business, especially if you lose early, an unfortunate habit of mine...:)

I really like the No Conflict Rules as well.

For my next event I will try this. People will complain, but ultimately they will play.

They hated nine ball too, back in the day. Claimed straight pool was the only true pool game...well, look where nine ball is today. How many 14.1 events are there in comparison?

Keep up the good work.

(And yes, I love your dress code!)

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member

with players such as

Bradon Shuff
Mike Davis
Rob Seaz
Shaun Wilki
Matt Krah
Max Embre
Bobby Chamberlin
Adam Kieler
Ryann McCreash

Went through your list of players. Played against most of them as well. Do you really mean to tell me you've never witnessed a racking argument between these guys? Really? Never? Sorry to question you but I think you either intentionally or unintentionally overlook the disagreements. Never played in a single "Pro" event where there were no racking problems. Never. Not one at Paul's event. That says alot.

Lyn

Paul Schofield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

For my next event I will try this. People will complain, but ultimately they will play.

You are going to be surprised. Who doesn't want to shoot after the break? You are giving them exactly what they want and exactly what they think they deserve. They are right. They'll get it. SHOOT WHAT YOU BREAK! Makes good sense.

The "No Conflict Rules" are fun and good for the game.

I will be in touch.

Last edited:

Paul Schofield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am NOT going to say that my modified format is fairer. I do not believe that fair exists. I will say instead that the modified format is more equitable than the standard format. Compare the following:

Standard 64 man DE short way to 3rd place: 7 matches
Standard 64 man DE long way to 3rd place: 11 matches

Modified 64 man DE short way to 3rd place: 8 matches
Modified 64 man DE long way to 3rd place: 8 matches

If a player loses his first match, his chances of making finals in the modified format are 8X that of making finals in the standard format. That is a good thing.

Last edited:

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You have put a lot of thought into this. Please ignore the negative feedback. Actually, please try to separate the negative feedback from the constructive criticism.

I agree with another poster in that there is nothing wrong with shaking things up a bit and thinking outside the box.

A lot of people hate the Magic Rack, or the fact the the nine ball does not count on the break in some events, etc. There will always be those that reject change simply because...

They refuse to entertain anything different.

I see no harm in modifying a format that saves time. We have all played in events where you are waiting for hours because the TD can't handle his/her business, especially if you lose early, an unfortunate habit of mine...:)

They hated nine ball too, back in the day. Claimed straight pool was the only true pool game...well, look where nine ball is today. How many 14.1 events are there in comparison?

Keep up the good work.

Sneezing is not a conflict by all means point out conflcts in your iron hand rack ur own spot the money ball turnys other than payouts sharking and pocket faces. We all don't have hospital whites to play with
The dress code should be no more than the establishments dress code

Paul Schofield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
More of the same from post #108 only this time I am referring to a 128 man chart. Compare how a player comes in 3rd losing early and late in the standard format in contrast to the modified format:

Standard 128 man DE short way to 3rd place: 8 matches
Standard 128 man DE long way to 3rd place: 13 matches

Modified 128 man DE short way to 3rd place: 9 matches
Modified 128 man DE long way to 3rd place: 10 matches

If a player loses his first match, his chances of making finals in the modified format are 8X that of making finals in the standard format. That is far more equitable.

Last edited:

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
More of the same from post #108 only this time I am referring to a 128 man chart. Compare how a player comes in 3rd losing early and late in the standard format in contrast to the modified format:

Standard 128 man DI short way to 3rd place: 8 matches
Standard 128 man DI long way to 3rd place: 13 matches

Modified 128 man DI short way to 3rd place: 9 matches
Modified 128 man DI long way to 3rd place: 10 matches

If a player loses his first match, his chances of making finals in the modified format are 8X that of making finals in the standard format. That is far more equitable.

What does "DI" stand for?

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Paul -- Have you noticed that in Bonus Ball the breaker shoots after a legal break (no requirement to make a ball)? Maybe someone is listening to you (although there may be other reasons for that rule in BB)!

Paul Schofield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Paul -- Have you noticed that in Bonus Ball the breaker shoots after a legal break (no requirement to make a ball)? Maybe someone is listening to you (although there may be other reasons for that rule in BB)!

LOL. All one has to do is think through it. It makes the best sense. I am sure that when these guys put their rules together, they were not thinking or listening to me. They reached the logical conclusion on their own.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
LOL. All one has to do is think through it. It makes the best sense. I am sure that when these guys put their rules together, they were not thinking or listening to me. They reached the logical conclusion on their own.

I guess we need to switch to 15.0 instead of 14.1 as well based on the way you think it through.... Nothing like getting stuck in the rack or kicked in on a perfect break shot.... Open break, run all 15 then open break again... No balls needed on the open breaks....

Paging John Schmidt LOL

Paul Schofield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess we need to switch to 15.0 instead of 14.1 as well based on the way you think it through.... Nothing like getting stuck in the rack or kicked in on a perfect break shot.... Open break, run all 15 then open break again... No balls needed on the open breaks....

Paging John Schmidt LOL

14.1 is done, dead. It is not even worth a mention.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
14.1 is done, dead. It is not even worth a mention.

Missed the point... 14.1 becomes a different game... Just as 8ball, 9ball and 10ball become different games under your rules... It is not just a rule set but an alteration of the games themselves....

I have no idea what you will dub the games but I think you have a better shot at marketing the changed games than a variation of rules..... Offensive 8, Offensive 9 and Offensive 10?

Paul Schofield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Missed the point... 14.1 becomes a different game... Just as 8ball, 9ball and 10ball become different games under your rules... It is not just a rule set but an alteration of the games themselves....

I have no idea what you will dub the games but I think you have a better shot at marketing the changed games than a variation of rules..... Offensive 8, Offensive 9 and Offensive 10?

Players of all calibers drive hours to fill up my events with these rules. I am unaware of anyone seeing the game differently. Once a player has some experience, they get the point. Pack your stuff and come and play in the next event. You might become a convert. These rules make our short games much more fun for everyone.

I am not taunting you. I am relaying our extensive experience.

Last edited:

Paul Schofield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Missed the point...

No. Respectfully, you have missed the point. I think you and many like you have placed far too much significance on "the ball on the break". Just get rid of it. It is far, far more trouble than it is worth. Just look what has gone on. Look what has continued to go on.

Just think: The better the player, the more critical the break is. Reward the true skill of the break: conrol the cue ball, conrol the 1-ball, and get a good spread. Don't throw a wild card in the mix. Don't make the break: rack, luck, or gadget dependent. It is so simple.

Last edited:

Shane Jackson

Action Jackson Industries LLC
Silver Member
as a player and a room owner

I look at these "No conflict rules" two ways : as a player and as a room owner.

As a player I have played in multiple events put on by Paul Scofield of Gold Crown Billiards in Erie. He has one of the largest followings for a quarterly event I've been to, not to mention its ran in a timely fashion. 64 players+ and turning some down...

The no conflict rules really are what they say they are. In every event I have played in there I have yet to see an argument about the rack (balls not touching/pattern racking/tilting/etc), the break, or people with animosity towards each other. Having the above mentioned things taken away there isn't reason for two players to get into a heated debate which takes a turn for the worst. Everyone has what they want : a fair opportunity in a game that allows each player the same amount of chances. Alternate break, rack your own, shoot again after the break, these are all things players want in every tournament they play in. What more could a player ask for? Everyone wants to shoot after the break. When a player loses a match one of the worst reasons is " I wasn't making balls on the break and it was crushing me". This makes it possible for each player to have the same amount of opportunities as his opponent. If you can't break and run out....Thats your fault!

The "No Conflict Rules" gives off an overall positive vibe to the room and you can feel it throughout the players. It may seem a bit awkward at first but we have grew to love it and everyone who has played comes back...Theres a reason why this tournament continues to grow...

Now that I have given my personal opinion as a player Ill give it to you straight as a room owner:

As owner of Steel City Billiards in Pittsburgh, Pa I have ran a few double elimination tournaments and they have ran well. The problem came about with long matches and we were only racing to 7. Opponent racks the balls and the breaker isn't happy. The correct balls aren't touching and the breaker is unsatisfied. The racker continues to finger the balls and re rack and re rack. This becomes tedious and frustrating for both breaker and racker. In the midst of this the clock is ticking for everyone and this holds up the rest of the tournament. Now the breaker feels as if the racker is intentionally toying with his mind. Aside from the subtraction of time I really like how theres no negative feelings amongst the players towards each other. With the rules people have a positive experience and they will come back. Negativity is contagious and it takes one guy to complain about anything from the rack, break, or people trying to get him. Why not adopt something that is smooth and allows players a fair chance at each others throats!

I hope this helps some room owners and players get a glimpse at what Paul is doing. I don't know how he comes up with this stuff but he's on to something. Give it a try. Whats the worst it could do...make you have a growing tournament? :wink: