Great News For Tournament Operators

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
IMO

Even with this modified format, I am not a die hard fan of DE. Most of the players travel some distance. 25% of the field is eliminated after 2 matches. Drive for 4 or 5 hours and only get to play for and hour and a half. It does not seem worth it. I don't worry about the players that finish in the money. I concern myself with remainder of the field.

SE is really penalizing in this way but only worse. Half the field is gone after one match.

Round robin gives the players a decent play for their trouble but there are many pointless matches. Who wants to play a match in a tournament if you cannot win the tournament.

A perfect format is where every player gets a huge play for their money and travel effort. In addition, If they are still playing, they can still win the tournament. Finally, a perfect format progresses from many players to finals quickly within just a few rounds. This holds everyone's interest.

IMO

What also sucks if your in a coin op bar table event....is if you lose in a dbl elim 128 field in the first round. Why should you put in dbl the quarters to get to the finals of a coin op event? Some players might not show up for the match because they Know they will need to stay an extra day, and spend at least an additional $40 or more to get ''into'' the money. Coinage nowadays is Not cheap, ESPECIALLY with alternate break and races to nine or eleven.

Last edited:

Paul Schofield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We ran our 15th quarterly one day tournament on August 24th. As always, there were 64 spots and the event was filled in advance. There was a waiting list. We run the Summer event cheap with a mere $20 entry fee. There was $4700 in the calcutta.

The No Conflict Rules work. Eventually, every player gets it. The ball on the break is not worth keeping. Keep it and keep all the strife that goes along with it. Get rid of it and the competitive experience is much better. Our tournaments are fun.

We added a new feature this time and it was a big hit. We had a Ten-Ball Jackpot. Chances were sold to build the pot. Each ball was worth a tenth of the pot. A Name was drawn and the player shot untill he missed and then another name was drawn. Names were drawn repeatedly untill all the balls were gone. Read the details here with a link to a video. Watch the full video. It is all good leading up to a histerical shot on the 10-ball.

Be aware, the first shooter on the 10-ball is a hundred ball runner in 14.1.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Paul<<<<<< the break is weak with this one........

Chris<<<<<< not the pool playing droid you are looking for.........

Last edited:

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
We ran our 15th quarterly one day tournament on August 24th. As always, there were 64 spots and the event was filled in advance. There was a waiting list. We run the Summer event cheap with a mere $20 entry fee. There was $4700 in the calcutta.

The No Conflict Rules work. Eventually, every player gets it. The ball on the break is not worth keeping. Keep it and keep all the strife that goes along with it. Get rid of it and the competitive experience is much better. Our tournaments are fun.

We added a new feature this time and it was a big hit. We had a Ten-Ball Jackpot. Chances were sold to build the pot. Each ball was worth a tenth of the pot. A Name was drawn and the player shot untill he missed and then another name was drawn. Names were drawn repeatedly untill all the balls were gone. Read the details here with a link to a video. Watch the full video. It is all good leading up to a histerical shot on the 10-ball.

As you know Paul, change of ANYTHING within our narrow minded billiard industry, whether it be pros or league is EXTREMELY difficult and most often Impossible. You've opened up a small window of success thru trial and ?? I'm glad you have enough forward thinking to be persistent and aware of the rutttttttttttttttttt our game has instilled with the formats being the same for a Loooooooooooooooong time.

Still waiting on your thoughts............tho you being an X hardcore poolplayer like myself, we tend to think/act/respond as we've always done since the sixties.

''End Game''

Last edited:

Paul Schofield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As you know Paul, change of ANYTHING within our narrow minded billiard industry, whether it be pros or league is EXTREMELY difficult and most often Impossible.

It is not quite what you think. I do what I do to keep pocket billiards viable, interesting, and exciting in my neck of the woods. I work hard at it and I try many different ideas. I take my successes and put them out there for others to try. Hopefully, what has worked for me will work and be beneficial to others. No one is forcing the No Conflict Rules on anyone. It is all voluntary and all in good fun.

Here is an interesting note. Dennis Hatch played in my Spring Event. I overheard him say. "I really like these rules. It is just so nice to not have to watch my opponents every move. I get sick of it. I can go play and concentrate on my game."

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member

What is this all about? What is my prize?

JoeyA

Paul Schofield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am going to try to come up with a visual comparison of standard double elimination chart and my modified format.

It only took me six months to get around to it but here it is. I am not a fan of DE but it is all the pool world uses. Take note:

In Standard DE, if you lose your 1st match, your path to finals climbs from 5 all the way to 10 more match wins.

In Modified DE, if you lose your 1st match, your path to finals jumps from 5 to 7 more match wins.

Quite a difference. COUNT THEM!

In my mind, Modified DE is far more equitable. Everything is give and take. This is the give. The take is that late losers must win 1 more match than they would have to in Standard DE. I have had 3 players complain. Change comes hard for a lot of people.I am fine with it. Overall, the field is very satisfied with the format. My first priority is to build and have return a full field of players. My formats and the No Conflict Rules work. Togeather, they make for a good and successful event.

Attachments

• AZ Standard DE.jpg
    AZ Standard DE.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 131
  • AZ Modified DE.jpg
    AZ Modified DE.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:

Paul Schofield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I first posted the No Conflict Rules on my website three years ago. The traffic and visits to the No Conflict Rules page of my website has increased every month since the rules were posted. My BCA League has voted for the 3rd season in a row to use the rules (there are a number of 100 ball runners in the league). All of my weekly tournaments are played with them and a lot of my voluntary casual play in my room is played under the rules. My quarterly events using the rules have never been more popular. I have had great success with them and I encourage others to experiment.

The No Conflict Rules reward valuable skills needed to make a good break and eliminate all of the problematic issues surrounding the front end of our short games.