2. Nick Van Den Berg - 11 Hsu Kai Lun - 7
3. Karl Boyes - 11 Lo Li Wen - 10
4. Nick Ekonomopoulos - 11 Lee Van Corteza - 9
5. Jeffrey De Luna - 11 Vilmos Foldes - 8
6. Thorsten Hohmann - 11 Dennis Orcullo - 8
7. Chris Melling - 11 David Alcaide - 8
8. Carlo Biado - 11 Fabio Petroni - 10

Live scoring --> http://qbsf.qa/en/live_score.php

Tournament chart/Knockout stage --> http://qbsf.qa/en/downloads/2web_final_round.pdf

gopi-1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The schedule is already 50 minutes behind...

Knockout stage: Quarterfinals -- Race to 11

6:30 pm Doha time (11:30 pm Manila/8:30 am Pacific/11:30 am Eastern):

1. Antonio Gabica vs. Nick Van Den Berg
2. Karl Boyes vs. Nick Ekonomopoulos
3. Jeffrey De Luna vs. Thorsten Hohmann
4. Chris Melling vs. Carlo Biado

Live scoring --> http://qbsf.qa/en/live_score.php

Tournament chart/Knockout stage --> http://qbsf.qa/en/downloads/2web_final_round.pdf

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
100% sure

So after round of 16, we can be 100% sure that the champ will be:
1) One of these 8:
Antonio Gabica
Nick Van Den Berg
Karl Boyes
Nick Ekonomopoulos
Jeffrey De Luna
Thorsten Hohmann
Chris Melling
Carlo Biado

2) either European or Filipino

3) either late 20s, 30 to 40 years old

:D

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Five Europeans (Hohmann, Melling, Ekonomopolous, Vandenberg, Boyes) and three Filippinos (Biado, Gabica, DeLuna) make up the last 8.

Three members of last year's winning Team Europe in the Mosconi Cup remain (Ekonomopolous, Vandenberg, Melling).

To me, the two giants that remain are Hohmann and Biado, who could possibly meet in the semis. I'm guessing that if they do, the winner will go on to win the WPA World 9-ball Championship.

... but we shall see.

JumpinJoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wonder if any of the 8 left would be willing to bet that 36k playing that guy from America that can't win a tourney over there, his name is SVB.

Say a race to 200 over 4 days playin 10 ball. He'll he may give them all 20 games on the wire besides Biado.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I wonder if any of the 8 left would be willing to bet that 36k playing that guy from America that can't win a tourney over there, his name is SVB.

Say a race to 200 over 4 days playin 10 ball. He'll he may give them all 20 games on the wire besides Biado.

I wonder if the Olympic marathon champion would make a huge wager against a fellow competitor in a 200 mile race. No he wouldn't, because the 200 mile race is of no more relevance to the sport of distance running than the race to 200 is to pool.

Wanna prove you're the best? Beat six consecutive champions on six different tables on which you've probably never played before. Only the greats seem up to the challenge against the most elite fields. It takes a great competitive pedigree and you've got no room for error. You'll face late match pressure several times along the way and you'll have to be good enough to fade it. Play bad for an hour once and your opportunity to win is gone.

How many could have done what Mr Hohmann has done this week? He had to beat Bustamante just to qualify for single elimination. He then beat China Open bronze medalist Kurabayashi, and then two World 9-ball champions in a row in Appleton and Orcullo.

Last edited:

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Yes true, any of the 8 will run for cover rather then play SVB in race to 200.
Instead they may stake their 36K on money kings Orcullo or Yang to play SVB. Now then SVB will likely run for cover :grin:

Last edited:

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Instead they may stake their 36K on money kings Orcullo or Yang to play SVB. Now then SVB will likely run for cover :grin:

SVB drilled Dennis in race to 100 just 2 months ago or so and Yang may not be Yang anymore.

No telling what might happen if they played now

Last edited:

arps

tirador (ng pansit)
Silver Member
i hope gabica advances further. he was stopped in the quarterfinals last year. very very talented player.

JumpinJoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wonder if the Olympic marathon champion would make a huge wager against a fellow competitor in a 200 mile race. No he wouldn't, because the 100 mile race is of no more relevance to the sport of distance running than the race to 200 is to pool.

Wanna prove you're the best? Beat six consecutive champions on six different tables on which you've probably never played before. Only the greats seem up to the challenge against the most elite fields. It takes a great competitive pedigree and you've got no room for error. You'll face late match pressure several times along the way and you'll have to be good enough to fade it. Play bad for an hour once and your opportunity to win is gone.

How many could have done what Mr Hohmann has done this week? He had to beat Bustamante just to qualify for single elimination. He then beat China Open bronze medalist Kurabayashi, and then two World 9-ball champions in a row in Appleton and Orcullo.

Please save it. None of them Euros got any heart in action matches, since Steve Knight. They all fold.

JumpinJoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

SVB will run from no one breathing air playing 10 ball.
You will need a fine tuned robot to get his cash in that game in a long race.

TheLoneSilencer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SVB will run from no one breathing air playing 10 ball.
You will need a fine tuned robot to get his cash in that game in a long race.

Hmm last I check, didn't Jay just recently write that he has seen Shane turn down games this year? Perhaps he could elaborate if 10 ball was to be in any of those.

He won't go overseas & play 10 ball, he'd be the underdog against a number of people & only Shane huggers would believe otherwise.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Carlo Biado beats Chris Melling 11-3, first player to enter semi-finals. Well done.
Thanks for update. I tot they were playing quarters tomorrow LOL
Looks like Biado is young gun to win this year
Thorsten is just turning it on De Luna 9-2
Boyes putting distance from Nick E 9-6

Hmm last I check, didn't Jay just recently write that he has seen Shane turn down games this year? Perhaps he could elaborate if 10 ball was to be in any of those.

He won't go overseas & play 10 ball, he'd be the underdog against a number of people & only Shane huggers would believe otherwise.
Well said :grin:

JumpinJoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You lost your mind. And I'm a Dennis O. Fan. But SVB playin 10 ball long races is about as close to unbeatable as you will find in pool these days. His break is just to dominant.

He can play any man, from any land, for whatever $ they can withstand.

And there's definitely not ANY European with a snowmans chance in hell to win.