Favorite Cuemaker (ONLY ONE!)

patrickcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
junkbond

This has turned out to be a tougher question to answer than I thought it would be. Today's cue makers (most of them, anyway) produce such great playing cues that to single out one as my favorite isn't easy. (Of course, back in 1957, when I started playing as a kid, any cue that wasn't shaped like a boomerang was okay with me.)

I don't have any cues that I would part with because of the way it plays - they're all just too good - so I had to come up with some other way to get an answer for this. I have one, two, or three cues from a bunch of makers, but when I counted, there was only one cue maker from whom I had four cues. Then I asked myself, "If I had to get rid of my cues and could only keep the cues from one maker, whose cues would I keep?" And I came up with an answer:

Doug Patrick. I would really, really hate to be without those four cues.
Thank you Howard. That means more than you know to me!!!!

jburkm002

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would love to know the cuemaker ( state they live in) and owner ( state they live in). I only say that because I live in Maryland and Joss is in MD. If we surveyed leagues in our area Joss would probably be the most popular. We also have Lambros and I think SLY. Sure there are others. Before I joined AZBILLIARDS I never heard of some cuemakers. Just interested if some comes from comfort of having someone local. I know I love being able to drop by Joss any time I like and checking out their cues. 10 minutes from my house.

Last edited:

eddie8842

getcha some of that
Silver Member
jackie

Gotta go with Mr. John "Jack" Madden, great cuemaker, the best balance and hit of any cue i've ever shot with, and a great guy to deal with

Bury me with my Jack Madden cue, i'll never part with it

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I would love to know the cuemaker ( state they live in) and owner ( state they live in). I only say that because I live in Maryland and Joss is in MD. If we surveyed leagues in our area Joss would probably be the most popular. We also have Lambros and I think SLY. Sure there are others. Before I joined AZBILLIARDS I never heard of some cuemakers. Just interested if some comes from comfort of having someone local. I know I love being able to drop by Joss any time I like and checking out their cues. 10 minutes from my house.

I think you are on to something there about local cues being popular. Im not sure how popular these are elsewhere but Schon, McDermott and Viking are all real popular here in Wi. same place these cues are made

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Joe Gold... He builds a great cue and if you get lucky enough to hang out with him he's a real character. His road stories are phenomenal and he's just fun to hang out with. There is much more to Joe than Cognoscenti cues, his love of cars, motorcycles and other toys makes for one interesting individual..

SSach

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hymm

This is one tough question. I have had the opportunity to deal with some of the best guys out there. To me several of the guys noted are great cuemakers and top tier in many ways and I hope to get a cue from some of the guys noted.

However, for me there is one guy that I have built a relationship over the years. He will still put a tip on and clean up my cue, and even talk about everything from politics to his latest work. Even though he is busy and probably could spend his time he makes time.

The cue maker is Barry Szamboti.

Rico

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Runde

I have owned most (high end makers )makers cues at onetime or another.Bob Runde can stand with them all. True gentleman great craftsman.

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike Durbin. Excellent workmanship, fantastic playing cue, very easy to work with and great value. Travis (Blackcreek) close second.

Lesh

One Hole Thinkifier
Silver Member
Easy choice for me and by a massive margin: Bill McDermott

Builds superb high-end cues for not a ton of money, and has the best hitting cues for the price in the history of cue making. Pound for pound, best ever and continues to be so.

Let the flames commence!
picture.php

Lesh

Rackemep

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Of the limited selection of custom cues that I have shot with my favorite is my current cue by Greg Kucharski

HueblerHustler7

AndrewActionG
Silver Member
Eric Crisp SugarTree Cues... If you have played with one or even had the pleasure of seeing his work in person, well need I say more...

flyvirginiaguy

Classic Cue Lover
Silver Member
Passed on or alive?

George Balabushka. The all time greatest perfectionist at making the absolute best hitting cues for the players of his era.

Currently,
Steve Klein
http://www.kleincues.com/

This truly is the kind of cue you get from Steve: "My goal is to provide you with the finest billiard equipment available; Each cue is treated as if I were making it for myself.".