let's stir the pot alittle, cuemaker you can care less about owning

BryanB

Huge Balls
Silver Member
Kikel... If someone gave it to me I would sell it. If refuse to advertise for him

nineballsafety8

6ft 5" 285, hits 'em hard
Silver Member
Kikel... If someone gave it to me I would sell it. If refuse to advertise for him

I was stationed at Carson for abour 3 years, and I found it utterly entertaining how much people either LOVED or HATED Kikel's cues. I never hit a ball with one, and some of his combinations are super ugly in my opinion, but his craftsmanship was super top notch from everything that I saw. I have heard he can be slightly hard to deal with though.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Personally I couldn't wait to get rid of every Larry Vigus cue I ever had and I have had a few hundred.

Larry
Good one.
well since everyone is dancing around the question, I will give my $.02

There are two cue makers that make very nice cues, that both play well (from what I have heard), but I have ZERO interest in ever owning one.
Dan Dishaw
John Barioni

Both of these are due to the piss poor attitude that I have heard from both of them. Barioni was via threads on AZB (arguing with Eric Crisp and Thomas Wayne if I remember correctly), and Dan Dishaw was about a phone conversation that I personally had with him many years ago. He pretty much told me that the cue I wanted would be ugly, and he didn't want to build it, so for it to be worth his time, he was going to charge me an extra $500 to build an ugly cue.

Customer service, and "likeability" are major factors in what makes the cue buying experience enjoyable for me. If you are not someone I would want to sit down and have a beer with, or shoot the breeze... I likely will never own one of your cues. These two gentlemen (while accomplish and competent cuemakers) pretty much pissed on any interest I would ever have in them.
Got to appreciate Dan's position though. Sometimes makers have a certain satisfaction that comes from building what is pleasing to them. I doubt I would have tried to charge an "ugly" tax though. I would have simply said I don't use that wood.

I can understand getting turned off though. I am sure if you put case makers in as well you would see about a dozen response from people who won't buy from me because of my outspoken nature.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
The question is rather vague, but the cuemakers I care less about owning, are any of the Internet cuemakers that have left us in disgrace.
Pepper, Zinzola, & Wadsworth for example.
I remember more names as I see their crappy cues come up for sale, and there are more to come.
My advice is not to send deposits unless you have completed a thorough search of the guys rep.

nineballsafety8

6ft 5" 285, hits 'em hard
Silver Member
Good one.

Got to appreciate Dan's position though. Sometimes makers have a certain satisfaction that comes from building what is pleasing to them. I doubt I would have tried to charge an "ugly" tax though. I would have simply said I don't use that wood.

I can understand getting turned off though. I am sure if you put case makers in as well you would see about a dozen response from people who won't buy from me because of my outspoken nature.

I would not have been upset if he had just said "I would rather not build it", but to be a jerk and say it would cost me more for being ugly was in really bad taste IMO

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
I don't own that many custom cues.

Well, if you consider a couple of Dale Perry's, One of Ones, then I do. I'm Stylin and Profilin. I pull out a Perry and say, "Look, $1800.00, Dale said so on his web site.

As of late, there are more than a couple of cue makers that I will take a huge pass on tho.

Happens just not with Cues as well. I just spent $1500 on servicing my boat.

I have to take my boat in somewhere else now and have it re checked.

All I got was a bunch of Honkus from the original Tech that worked on it.

I hate when that happens.

But, $16.000.00 for the Oglala Souix Warrior Cue. I am certainly hoping that is $16.000.00 Yuan or Pesos.

I actually wouldn't mind owning that Indian tribute cue. Like I said, for that one. Pesos yes, Big American Bucks, no way Jose.

Or rather than Jose, "No way, Johnny Crooked Arrow".

Last edited:

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
szamboti ... I don't get it. Well I kind get it's a piece of cue history but I don't get why I would want to spend 15k for one lol. These guys almost cum in there pants over a plain jain 4 point cue. I always laugh out loud at all the comments saying how amazing it is lol I've gotten to hit with quite a few as a friend was a flipper of high end cue and to me they don't hit any better then the average cue. lol I know to each his own.

Black boar. Again I've gotten to play with a lot of his cue's that our in the 15k + range and they look drop dead beautiful and then you play with them and to me the hit doesn't match the looks.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I got agree with Trob assessment above... Plus SW cues do nothing for me. Paying thousands for a cue with a few nice woods, no inlays, and look down right plain for the most part. I've seen couple of nicer SW, but the price was about double of the plain jane's. And yeah, I hit with my buddies more than a few times... eh, if I closed my eyes I would not know it from anything else....

I know they age their woods, and they build good cues, and the folks are nice, but geez, just not for me.... no firestorm please, this is jmho.

Last edited:

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Good one.

I too can understand the turn-off by an "ugly tax." Not that it's an explanation, but folks need to remember that Dan Dishaw is a musical instrument maker first, and cuemaker second. Dan makes some of the finest playing and sounding solid-body guitars around -- he's a well-known name on the musical instrument scene. No less than Great White's Mark Kendall ("markgw" here on AZB) uses Dishaw guitars. I'm thinking about having Dan make me a 6-string electric bass guitar, but that's a SERIOUS investment that I'm going to have to plan for.

Why do I mention this? Because if you think Dan's "ugly tax" stance on cues is over the top, then you've never dealt with instrument makers at all. I know some who will tell you and dictate to you what woods you should be using for the particular sound you're known for, and if you don't abide by their "guidance," then you get stamped with an ugly tax or even outright refusal to build (with condescending attitude about you being a "mere musician who doesn't know anything besides what notes his fingers are touching" to boot).

Actually, it's all in the communications. I've found if you can give an educated reason why you want what you want (and not just "because I'm the customer and I want it, dammit!"), you'll find you can get past the "here, let me guide you" funnel that cuemakers/instrument makers put up. Talk to them about your mind's eye, and how you've personally put those woods together, and how this or that wood "means something to you personally." This way, you're explaining to the cuemaker that this is a sentimental journey for you, and not just a slapathon of woods.

Just some thoughts,
-Sean

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
My Hanes Boxer Briefs absorb most of the after shock.
Hahahaha!

FK, I just Grossed myself out again.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
I completely agree, it is rediculous. I wanted a mahogany (yes you heard me right) and birdseye plain jain wrapless, cored with straight grain maple. He told me that mahogany was too ugly to go in any cue, and to put his name on such an atrocity would cost me an extra $500 on top of normal build cost.

Why mahogany you ask? Because I am a drummer, and it is one of my favorite tone woods. Good enough for a $800 solid shell Craviotto snare drum, good enough for a cue.

for the record, I think mahogany is a beautiful wood for a cue.

and it was apparently good enough for brunswick, too. :)

this sapele mahogant brunswick converted sneaky is from the 30's - 40's .

best,
brian kc

Attachments

• Rittel-brunswick-sneaky-butt.jpg
    Rittel-brunswick-sneaky-butt.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 689
  • Rittel-brunswick-sneaky-points.jpg
    Rittel-brunswick-sneaky-points.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 680

scsuxci

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member