let's stir the pot alittle, cuemaker you can care less about owning

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Every last one of them. I have 2 Predators and a Mezz as playing cues that should last me the 10 or so more years ill be living or at the very least playing.

I must admit i like my Roger Allen as a break cue but not interested in any of his Players if they are even around.

penguin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
lets name the cuemaker you couldn't wait to sell or don't ever want to own.
Guerra Cues made by "Tony Guerra", real name Tony Maninha.

Do a simple Google search for "Tony Maninha" and a little reading to find out what some cue buyers are learning the hard way. :eek:

Shame that those who have had bad experiences with "Tony Guerra" have chosen to keep silent, rather than come forward and protect other members of this forum from being taken for a ride. :(

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
After buying a Josey I stopped looking, Therefore, I couldn't care less about buying from another cuemaker.

This is not to say there aren't good cuemakers out there. It just says I've stopped wanting any others.

(edit) I do feel sorry for those posting here who have had a bad experience....

Bassmaster

Gone Fishin
Silver Member
I know Im in the minority....but a Searing or especially a Searing conversion.....I just can't get over a plain jane 4 pointer for 5-6k because it has an S in the butt cap. And takes 15years to get one.

De420MadHatter

SicBiNature
Silver Member
Bloodworth simply because the guy is a crook. Straight up stole my cue from me. Sent it back to him because the collar was buzzing. Exchanged countless emails (still have them), and had several phone conversations with him after he received my cue. One day about a month later I call to see what the hold up is, and he denies ever talking to me previously or ever receiving my cue. A bunch of BS ensued for several months but I never got anywhere. Jacked me for a cue I had just paid $1400 for. This was Leonard btw.

SmoothStroke

Swim for the win.
Silver Member
szamboti ... I don't get it. Well I kind get it's a piece of cue history but I don't get why I would want to spend 15k for one lol. These guys almost cum in there pants over a plain jain 4 point cue. I always laugh out loud at all the comments saying how amazing it is lol I've gotten to hit with quite a few as a friend was a flipper of high end cue and to me they don't hit any better then the average cue. lol I know to each his own.

Black boar. Again I've gotten to play with a lot of his cue's that our in the 15k + range and they look drop dead beautiful and then you play with them and to me the hit doesn't match the looks.

Agree with Szamboti, hit with some older ones that were good, not so much for the new cues, overated. Southwest you can keep.

Dan Dishaw is another story. I was the only one in his booth at the SBE. Tried talking to him about the cues and guitars. He was very short with me, like I was a bother. I was really interested in his guitars, thats the main reason I went there.

He can stick his cues and guitars where the sun dont shine, I want to hear how long the sustain carries from his ass.

I had enough cash on me to buy his entire booth and a few booths next to him, screw him, I went and ordered a custom Paul Reed Smith

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
whooops.. was beating a dead horse and didn't realize it. getting old I guess.

Last edited:

asiasdad

Banned
Finally an honest thread without cue maker nut huggers

szamboti ... I don't get it. Well I kind get it's a piece of cue history but I don't get why I would want to spend 15k for one lol. These guys almost cum in there pants over a plain jain 4 point cue. I always laugh out loud at all the comments saying how amazing it is lol I've gotten to hit with quite a few as a friend was a flipper of high end cue and to me they don't hit any better then the average cue. lol I know to each his own.

Black boar. Again I've gotten to play with a lot of his cue's that our in the 15k + range and they look drop dead beautiful and then you play with them and to me the hit doesn't match the looks.

tap, tap, tap

I got agree with Trob assessment above... Plus SW cues do nothing for me. Paying thousands for a cue with a few nice woods, no inlays, and look down right plain for the most part. I've seen couple of nicer SW, but the price was about double of the plain jane's. And yeah, I hit with my buddies more than a few times... eh, if I closed my eyes I would not know it from anything else....

I know they age their woods, and they build good cues, and the folks are nice, but geez, just not for me.... no firestorm please, this is jmho.

tap, tap, tap ...I've owned 3...Southwests are for flipping, not playing.,..if they
played all that great they would not be for sale on here all the time.

I know Im in the minority....but a Searing or especially a Searing conversion.....I just can't get over a plain jane 4 pointer for 5-6k because it has an S in the butt cap. And takes 15years to get one.

tap, tap, tap....A friend of mine and I compared my TAD-1 ($1500.00 at the time)
to his Searing merry widow ($4000.00 at the time) and the very next day he sold
his cue to an S nut hugger here on AZB for $4500.00 and bought a TAD
so it appears Searings are as good as Southwest in this regard.

To add more firewood to this fire: James Michael White...I bought one of his cues
on here because I thought it was a good deal for the money...turned out the reason
it was flipped twice (each time at a reduced price) was due to the points being
god awful crooked with obvious glue lines (that managed to hide in the photos)

That cue should have been thrown in the scrap pile and never finished.

Finally, I would never buy a cue...regardless of cuemaker that has those
arrowheads or little flowers at the end of the points...that just means they
fukked up the points, and did not have the integrity to throw away the forearm.

Last edited:

Stones

YEAH, I'M WOOFING AT YOU!
Silver Member
Richard Black Cues

About thirty years ago, I lived in Houston. I'd seen a few Richard Black cues and liked what I saw. I decided I was going to have him make my next cue for me. Something in the $1200 to $1500 range which, at the time, was a lot of money to spend on a cue. Also, I was going to have him put new cue tips on a couple of my cues since I heard he still had the tips I liked which were hard to find since they were no longer being manufactured.

I'd been warned by a few people that Richard could be "an arrogant pr*ck" (their words, not mine) when he wanted to be.

I headed off to his shop. Maybe, I caught him on a bad hair day or his time of the month, I just don't know.

After introductions and before discussing building a new cue, I wanted to get the tips replaced on my Joss West, my main shooter, and a old Meucci, my break and backup player. I happened to pull the Meucci out first. What happened next, I will never forget as it shocked me so much. Richard looked down at the Meucci, looked up at me and yelled "Get that f*king POS out of my shop! In fact, get your azz out of my shop! NOW!" He, then, pointed at the door.

I gathered my stuff up and started to leave. As I reached the door, I turned and said "Mr. Black, you have the privilege of knowing this door will never hit me in the azz again. I will spend the rest of my life talking sh*t about you and your cues!"

So, for the last thirty years, I've kept my end of the bargain. LOL

Come to find out later, after talking to other people, I found out he hated Bob MeuccI and his cues with a passion.

My girlfriend has an absolutely beautiful Black which she offered a couple of times to let me play with. After telling her the story, she hasn't offer since, though I might use it if I ever get a really bad itch in the crack of my butt. My girlfriend now knows to lock the Black away if I'm ever rooting around looking for kindling to start a BBQ fire. LOL

Stones

Last edited:

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

:yikes:

This is just crazy. I've been around pool cues for a long time and these two
are the same cues I was thinking of. I tried out my friend's Szamboti years
ago and I really didn't think anything of it. I was even at Gus's house to pick
up shafts. They didn't cost that much back then.

And when Black Boar first come out my friend was crazy about it and I tried it
out and I thought the hit was dead. I didn't like it. I know all cues hit defferent
even when they are made by the same maker. I just can't believe that $400 Black
Boar is worth a lot of money now.

My first Schon R7 with the six ebony points and the Ivory ferrules was okay, but
I liked my old Meucci Originals better. Sold that Schon with two shafts back in 1991
for $185 dollars.

Wow...what a mistake!

Guess I'm just a production kind of guy-----plain, simple, cheap, and old.:thumbup:

For the money I still love my Dale Perrys.

Last edited:

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
Southwests are for flipping, not playing.,..if they
played all that great they would not be for sale on here all the time.

Ouch, that really hurt.
Just for that, when I put my last South West up for sale, I don't want to hear you make
any of those crazy trade offers like you did with my fake Tad>:grin-square:

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I suppose you could say that the cuemakers cues I could care less about owning would be any cue over lets say $2K. I just don't see any chunk of wood being worth that much money because of the name on it. You cant tell me a BB, Tasc., Southwest, etc.. is actually better than other quality cues simply because of the name. I just do not believe there is that much technology in a cue for one to be superior than another. They are all made from some combo of materials, wood, metal, plastic, and leather, so they are no propitiatory materials, and I do not think there are really any ground breaking manufacturing or assembling techniques. This means all you are really paying extra for is the signature on the forearm or the symbol on the butt cap. I suppose I should have made my monetary limit $1k, but when you consider how many man hours it takes to make custom hand made items I thought that would be too cheap for the cuemaker to put forth his best effort. So I guess unless someone steps up and gives me a free cue I will never own a cue with a "Big Name" signature on the forearm. FWIW I recently bought a D19 McDermott, had McDermott refinish and build a G-Core shaft for it, it is a spectacular hitting cue, I would say its very similar to the hit of older Schons or Runde/Schons. I was never my intention but this cue is quickly becoming my player.

luke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any cue with other than 5/16x18, 5/16x14, or 3/8x10 pin. Hate those odd pin sizes.

Stroud is easily the biggest scumbag of them all. Everyone else mentioned and known to AZ Billiards is a distant second. Why? Because Mr "design your dream cue" was already successful, hall of fame worthy and was the one who offered the contest. I don't forgive thieves, but it is easier to understand how a novice builder/businessman could get in over his head. Stroud should've been beyond and above that.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Stroud is easily the biggest scumbag of them all. Everyone else mentioned and known to AZ Billiards is a distant second. Why? Because Mr "design your dream cue" was already successful, hall of fame worthy and was the one who offered the contest. I don't forgive thieves, but it is easier to understand how a novice builder/businessman could get in over his head. Stroud should've been beyond and above that.

Stroud may have had a good reason for not building the cue: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=4655834&postcount=11

His communication about the issue, however, may well have been woefully deficient.

LAlouie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Of the big cuemakers,,,Bill Stroud BY FAR. His cues simply do not stand up to the passage of time. I had two. They fell apart and warped. There is also a reason why his cues have not maintained their value compared to the Ginas, Tads, Herceks, Schicks or why it's easy find an available Joss West anytime you want.

Last edited: