Karl Boyes talking crap

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes he has a real illness!

It was mentioned during his matchroom special and several insiders have confirmed. It was allude that it is behavior in nature. It explained a lot of the antics.

Now, don't some here feel awful jumping on a ill man. I sure did! I thought it was malicious! Only to find out it is illness related. He gets a pass from me ever since.

He needs his medicine and skips it when he thinks it effects his play. Just causes strange behavior when not on them, I noticed! Well behaved with Shane watching out and keeping him calm.

Kd

Just what illness is that,,

Ih82luz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes he has a real illness!

It was mentioned during his matchroom special and several insiders have confirmed. It was allude that it is behavior in nature. It explained a lot of the antics.

Now, don't some here feel awful jumping on a ill man. I sure did! I thought it was malicious! Only to find out it is illness related. He gets a pass from me ever since.

He needs his medicine and skips it when he thinks it effects his play. Just causes strange behavior when not on them, I noticed! Well behaved with Shane watching out and keeping him calm.

Kd

Earl is a grown man and takes responsibility for his own actions. You can see it.

I believe Earl is better playing as a single. I don't think his demeanor is conducive to team play.

I would have preferred to see another team mate for Shane in this international event.

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
Just what illness is that,,
Who in their right mind discloses mental medical issues publicly?

He says he is sick and I believe him. You want more detail then you got to ask Earl and his doctors! Afraid hippa laws will only allow earl to tell it!

Kd

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
Earl is a grown man and takes responsibility for his own actions. You can see it.

I believe Earl is better playing as a single. I don't think his demeanor is conducive to team play.

I would have preferred to see another team mate for Shane in this international event.
Shane missed the 2 ball. Shane dry broke on critical game. Numerous mistakes by Shane cost them that set more than anything earl did!

Kd

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who in their right mind discloses mental medical issues publicly?

He says he is sick and I believe him. You want more detail then you got to ask Earl and his doctors! Afraid hippa laws will only allow earl to tell it!

Kd
Lots of people disclose their sickness in sports ,,

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Correction, he won the world 8 ball championship.

I just saw this thread... I'm glad you wrote this. Karl is a great guy. And he's got some fire, too!

Let's not make this an us vs them thing. Both Darren and Karl have a lot of pals in the States.

Freddie

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
Illness?

Earl said something along the lines of, "I'm the best there is and everyone is coming to get me." This was said before the game against England A.

If I'm sick, then I play! Obviously Earl was feeling OK to give Shane the "stink eye" after his bad shot against England A. The best play hurt! No excuses!

If you watched the match you could see the friction between our two player. This is all Earl's fault!!

Shane is the #1 player in the world and you have a "house pro" telling him where to put the ball!?

In my opinion, Earl is a great singles player. He should not ever be a team player representing the United States of America!, until he's won numerous events throughout the previous year.

A better "team" player could have been chosen. Earl,.......until he gets out on the "tour" and wins tournaments, should stay off of the Mosconi Cup Team, and any team that represents theUnited a states of America!

Earl is not a good team player. Period.

A house pro? That's laughable . Try 5 time US Open champion. You call him a house pro???? Your delusional with hate

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Karl can get played. Just let him and Earl play each other for 20k on the ten footer in NYC. Might as well settle it on the table.

Meanwhile it's a pretty sure bet that Karl Boyes greatest accomplishment in pool will be to forever stay in Earl Strickland's shadow as there is almost no chance he will accomplish what Earl has achieved in this sport.

I get that he doens't like Earl's attitude. Fair enough as the brits say. But he can easily shut Earl up by playing him a long race on tough equipment. Should be a cakewalk to beat the old washed-up former triple world champion right?

Blue Jam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Karl can get played. Just let him and Earl play each other for 20k on the ten footer in NYC. Might as well settle it on the table.

Meanwhile it's a pretty sure bet that Karl Boyes greatest accomplishment in pool will be to forever stay in Earl Strickland's shadow as there is almost no chance he will accomplish what Earl has achieved in this sport.

I get that he doens't like Earl's attitude. Fair enough as the brits say. But he can easily shut Earl up by playing him in tough conditions. Should be a cakewalk to beat the old washed-up former triple world champion right?

Might as well settle it on a 6x3 UK table at 8 ball. Oh wait, that would be playing to the experience of one player over another. Hmmmm...

OK, maybe best to settle it a 9ball on standard tables instead, since that's what this is about. Maybe at a big prize pot international event. Like a World Cup of Pool. Wonder who would come out on top there? :thumbup:

I'm still waiting to see what the "trash talking" of "all American players" actually consisted of, since all the original poster seems to be able to remember is how angry it made them :rolleyes:

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Might as well settle it on a 6x3 UK table at 8 ball. Oh wait, that would be playing to the experience of one player over another. Hmmmm...

OK, maybe best to settle it a 9ball on standard tables instead, since that's what this is about. Maybe at a big prize pot international event. Like a World Cup of Pool. Wonder who would come out on top there? :thumbup:

I'm still waiting to see what the "trash talking" of "all American players" actually consisted of, since all the original poster seems to be able to remember is how angry it made them :rolleyes:

Karl has been playing American pool on bog tables long enough. Plus don't they have 6x12 tables in England? The larger tables are supposed to favor the British.

They can play on a 9ft table if Karl is scared to play on the 10ft. They can play for as much as Karl won in the World Cup.

I think Earl can find backers - can Karl? The thing is even a mentally unstable, down on himself, Earl Strickland, still has enough firepower to wipe any other pro off the table at any time. Obviously the better the player the more difficult that will be but in a long session Karl doesn't have to like it against Earl. If he does then put up the money and make the challenge.

Blue Jam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Karl has been playing American pool on bog tables long enough. Plus don't they have 6x12 tables in England? The larger tables are supposed to favor the British.

They can play on a 9ft table if Karl is scared to play on the 10ft. They can play for as much as Karl won in the World Cup.

I think Earl can find backers - can Karl? The thing is even a mentally unstable, down on himself, Earl Strickland, still has enough firepower to wipe any other pro off the table at any time. Obviously the better the player the more difficult that will be but in a long session Karl doesn't have to like it against Earl. If he does then put up the money and make the challenge.

I can assure you that nobody in Britain plays 9ball on 6x12 tables. Besides, I wouldn't presume to know what Karl's, Earl's or anyone else's preferences would be for table size.

My point was that in order to lessen the ego hurt of team America being beaten you concocted a set of conditions for a game which you believe favourable enough for Earl to have an edge when this could just as easily be done in reverse. The important lesson is simply that there's no need to discuss hypothetical games. They were part of a recent match for a considerable sum of money.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
So I've seen a couple of events that were team events and it's been a while since I've seen an "Earl" team beat a British team. I don't get out as much as a lot of you so I'm asking, have Earl and Karl ever played straight up? In a tournament or a TAR match or something else? If they have, what was the result? It seems to me that Karl should be pushing for some sort of match up so he could "shut him up" or "sit him down" or whatever he said. I would think that Earl would be after something like that as well. After that the winner could pretty much talk all they want and no one could say anything about it.
This crap talking, and frog walking and that stuff, do you suppose it's cultural? ...and because it's not the behavior of the other culture it's interpreted as rude or offensive. The frog walking to me looks like the Philipinos having fun with each other, not concerned with the other team. I guess they spout some junk during interviews, but I don't think I've ever seen a European player say anything you could say was shit talking unless it from the safety of an interview (except maybe Tony Drago, I loved it when he was "mad on Earl" laughed about that for days), where as I've seen at least a couple of the Americans talk right to the Europeans. Maybe the difference is cultural. And of course, maybe behind the scenes shit talking goes on all the time and Karl has been in Earl's face a few times?

Last edited:

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I can assure you that nobody in Britain plays 9ball on 6x12 tables. Besides, I wouldn't presume to know what Karl's, Earl's or anyone else's preferences would be for table size.

My point was that in order to lessen the ego hurt of team America being beaten you concocted a set of conditions for a game which you believe favourable enough for Earl to have an edge when this could just as easily be done in reverse. The important lesson is simply that there's no need to discuss hypothetical games. They were part of a recent match for a considerable sum of money.

They played a doubles match with a SHORT race and the USA lost by 2 games. Hardly a true test given all the variables in such a match.

I didn't concoct anything. Earl is the house pro at Society Billiards in NYC and no one is barred from playing him there. Shane stepped up and played as have several others.

I don't care if they play pocket pool on the subway just let them match up. Most professional players have said at one time or another that ten ball on the ten footer is the most challenging pool game. So if Karl believes that as well then he should have no problem stepping up and easily dispatching washed-up Earl Strickland.

In other words, Karl Boyes should OFFER to take on Earl on Earl's home court if Karl thinks Earl can't get there. What better way to settle it than to go to the guy's room and beat him there.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
So I've seen a couple of events that were team events and it's been a while since I've seen an "Earl" team beat a British team. I don't get out as much as a lot of you so I'm asking, have Earl and Karl ever played straight up? In a tournament or a TAR match or something else? If they have, what was the result? It seems to me that Karl should be pushing for some sort of match up so he could "shut him up" or "sit him down" or whatever he said. I would think that Earl would be after something like that as well. After that the winner could pretty much talk all they want and no one could say anything about it.
This crap talking, and frog walking and that stuff, do you suppose it's cultural? ...and because it's not the behavior of the other culture it's interpreted as rude or offensive. The frog walking to me looks like the Philipinos having fun with each other, not concerned with the other team. I guess they spout some junk during interviews, but I don't think I've ever seen a European player say anything you could say was shit talking unless it from the safety of an interview (except maybe Tony Drago, I loved it when he was "mad on Earl" laughed about that for days), where as I've seen at least a couple of the Americans talk right to the Europeans. Maybe the difference is cultural. And of course, maybe behind the scenes shit talking goes on all the time and Karl has been in Earl's face a few times?

I think that most of the pros have a lot of respect for each other. Once in a while there are "beefs" but for the most part any "trash talking" in interviews like the World Cup are just for marketing.

Any time you have a community of people doing the same thing it will often be pretty tight knit behind the scenes even if there are public disagreements.

Blue Jam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They played a doubles match with a SHORT race and the USA lost by 2 games. Hardly a true test given all the variables in such a match.

I didn't concoct anything. Earl is the house pro at Society Billiards in NYC and no one is barred from playing him there. Shane stepped up and played as have several others.

I don't care if they play pocket pool on the subway just let them match up. Most professional players have said at one time or another that ten ball on the ten footer is the most challenging pool game. So if Karl believes that as well then he should have no problem stepping up and easily dispatching washed-up Earl Strickland.

In other words, Karl Boyes should OFFER to take on Earl on Earl's home court if Karl thinks Earl can't get there. What better way to settle it than to go to the guy's room and beat him there.

On the contrary, I think it's an excellent test of professional ability, particularly - as you say - in handling the variables in such a match. But I understand why you would want to discount it as the result doesn't suit your position.

So lets say we discount this recent victory, we need to look for other results. How about last years Mosconi Cup? I know Karl and Daren beat Earl and Rodney at doubles but since that's not a "true test" we'll discount that as well.

What we can't discount, however, was Karl beating Earl in the Mosconi Cup singles by 6 frames to 3. That's an honest, heads up, pressure match played on professional equipment.

It doesn't really matter how many hypothetical games you come up with that point to a chance of one player winning, when the real world results are only pointing in one direction. Sorry if that makes you feel uncomfortable.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying Earl couldn't or wouldn't win. Of course he could, he's one of the best ever, I don't think that's ever been in question.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here a perspective that no one has thought of. How about a doubles match where Earl and Karl are partners? Think both of them could handle that? That would be a true test of character for the both of them.

Last edited:

master_cueist

pick your poison
Silver Member

Maybe you should check your stats...Karl actually won the Diamond Bigfoot 10 ball challenge last year...I do believe that is played on a 10 footer right??? So please tell me, how is that favoring one player over another? Since Karl won that he probably thinks Earl has no chance beating him on it when in truth, NOBODY can get up and beat Earl in a lengthy race on a 10 footer, not even Shane, and It's been proven.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
On the contrary, I think it's an excellent test of professional ability, particularly - as you say - in handling the variables in such a match. But I understand why you would want to discount it as the result doesn't suit your position.

So lets say we discount this recent victory, we need to look for other results. How about last years Mosconi Cup? I know Karl and Daren beat Earl and Rodney at doubles but since that's not a "true test" we'll discount that as well.

What we can't discount, however, was Karl beating Earl in the Mosconi Cup singles by 6 frames to 3. That's an honest, heads up, pressure match played on professional equipment.

It doesn't really matter how many hypothetical games you come up with that point to a chance of one player winning, when the real world results are only pointing in one direction. Sorry if that makes you feel uncomfortable.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying Earl couldn't or wouldn't win. Of course he could, he's one of the best ever, I don't think that's ever been in question.

Um no, even when my favorite player wins in the short set format I don't go around proclaiming them to be better than their equally world class opponent.

You seriously think a race to six tells the tale? I beat Ronnie Wiseman racing to five. I beat Max Eberle and other pros in short sets. Does that mean I am the better player? Players my speed can occasionally run out three to five games. If I do that once in a while then don't you think that for players who do it regularly that short sets are really coin flips for those guys?

The shorter the race the more chance that rolls and mistakes play a bigger part in the outcome.

That's why when top players match up FOR THE CASH, they choose long sets. Races to fifteen are about the bare minimum these days in either 9 or 10 ball that pros play when gambling. Mostly they choose races to 21 or 25 sometimes races to 30 or 50.

Look on Youtube at all the money games posted by the Filipinos, all races to 21 or more.

Top players want room to stretch out. They don't like short set formats. Most of them say that clearly when asked.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
An Earl / Karl match on a 9' table at a neutral place (maybe race to 21 to 35) would probably make money for some streamer that won't try and charge too much. I'd pay to watch it if they lose that crazy break format they just played. Johnnyt