How Would You Get from The 5 To The 8?

You are shooting the 5. How would you get to the 8?

111.jpg

222.jpg

Kris_b1104

House Pro in my own home.
Silver Member
No English, center ball to get above the 8 and play the 8 in the side that it's closest to.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
stun off the five...

I'd stun off the five with outside spin and go three rails behind the nine back to center table to play the eight in the corner.

Jaden

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are shooting the 5. How would you get to the 8?

View attachment 364823

View attachment 364824

Seriously, this is my favorite type of shitty situation. All you really have to do is make the 5, keep the cue-ball on the table and not get hooked. As well, the precise location of the 5 and the cueball can have a huge influence on your decision here (draw, not draw, spin or no spin) that your approach is allowed to vary once you're staring at the shot. My thought is, find a path that keeps the cueball on the table and away from the 9. I'm okay with landing close to the 8 but I'm prepared for another tough shot.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd stun off the five with outside spin and go three rails behind the nine back to center table to play the eight in the corner.

Jaden

If I can slow the cue-ball enough, I'd probably use draw and go two rails. It's hard to say from the photos though.

Atlatlien

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks to me like cutting the 5 in the corner with follow will avoid the scratch in the side on the near side. Cue can come off the rail and below the 8 for the shot in the same side.

Should be pretty simple to get the shape you need on the 9 from there.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I can miss the side pocket, I'd go 3 rails around the 8 and 9 to get straight on the 8 to play it in the side its closest to.

rramsey0011

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Jaden

This is my choice as well. If someone is confident with their banking skills I could also see playing the 5 one rail to the side and drawing the CB two rails onto the eight.

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
I'd soft draw on the five to play perfect position on the 8 in the corner.

Of course, I'd be so focused on getting perfect position on the 8 that I'd rattle the 5 in the pocket. :mad:

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
Was playing Scotch doubles with a friend, a much better player than I, and it was my shot. There was only a few balls on the table, no clusters, the next object ball away from the rail, and all pockets open, I asked him where I should leave him...he looked at me like I was crazy and said "anywhere in the middle of the table". :) Simple.

J

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
If I can slow the cue-ball enough, I'd probably use draw and go two rails. It's hard to say from the photos though.

To me, that's the road shot...draw past the side pocket....NO side spin.
...two rails to the middle....you have three pockets for the 8-ball.
This takes into account worn cloth, a bit dirty, and a light cue-ball.

Keep it simple under pressure....especially when two of the side bettors
are looking a little owly ....and some scum-sucking lowlife is eying your cue case.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
If I can miss the side pocket, I'd go 3 rails around the 8 and 9 to get straight on the 8 to play it in the side its closest to.

That's the shot I like under tournament conditions...and playing ok.

High left gets the natural shape, 3 rails around the 9.
....looks like you can hit the rail before the side pocket.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To me, that's the road shot...draw past the side pocket....NO side spin.
...two rails to the middle....you have three pockets for the 8-ball.
This takes into account worn cloth, a bit dirty, and a light cue-ball.

Keep it simple under pressure....especially when two of the side bettors
are looking a little owly ....and some scum-sucking lowlife is eying your cue case.

I'll take that as a compliment, thanks! There ARE shots out there where you can let the cue-ball loose and you just know, no matter how hard you hit it, it's gonna land perfect. I don't think this is one of those shots and with the 8-ball in the middle of the table, you have plenty of options. Yeah, you're positioning for something that might not be a world of fun but, IMO, I think it's important to insure a shot on that 8.

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
letting it go

Im letting my cue ball go here, no trying to hold it or soft draw. If I can cut it with speed and stay above the side pocket, I'll go around the 8 and 9 and back up near the 5. 8 in the corner down table.

poolgod1

Banned
Easy bank back to corner by cueball and drift down for 8 in side or corner. The scratch and 9 ball never come into play. Pool god has spoken.

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
I like the just rolling it in and playing the 8 in the side option.

It's much easier to see the shot from behind the cue ball.

Attachments

• 222f.jpg
    222f.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 360

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the just rolling it in and playing the 8 in the side option.

It's much easier to see the shot from behind the cue ball.

If you can put the brakes on that cue-ball to do that, sure. I'm not sure you can but then again, I never look at the table from God's perspective.

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
If you can put the brakes on that cue-ball to do that, sure. I'm not sure you can but then again, I never look at the table from God's perspective.

LOL God's perspective, I think you can come up short, stop the CB before it crosses by the 8, and play it in the corner, waddia think about them potatoes.