playing pocket speed

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
Pocket Speed- hitting the OB at a speed firm enough that it doesn't roll off but soft enough that if it touches the rail before the pocket it will most likely still fall.
I think pocket speed is something you learn to gauge with experience .
Optimal speed for ball pocketing
This would be my definition of it

Last edited:

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great, then you (and google) can educate patrick and leave the rest of us the hell alone.

Sorry, you were the one who was wrong about the definition(s).

But nice try on deflection instead of admitting.

Speaking of educate, this is a forum for discussion.

Dale(who is not surprised)

SilverCue

Sir Raksalot
Silver Member
http://www.billiardsforum.info/billiard-terms-definition/pocket-speed.asp

Pocket Speed Definition

Pocket speed has two definitions as related to cue sports. Pocket speed refers to the velocity at which there is just enough speed for the object ball to reach the pocket, but ideally not so hard that a miss would cause sufficient rebound to leave your opponent a return bank. Alternatively, pocket speed refers to the degree of ability of a pocket to more easily accept a shot that was not aimed perfectly if it was softly shot at a fairly slow speed. If the shot was not soft and slow, it my not fall in.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree 100% on forum enemies. I agree with you on many of the technical aspects of pool too, how can I not, much of it is common knowledge through the work of Dr. Dave, Jack Koehler and Robert Byrne.

As a non native speaker of English I can also empathize with your views on "ability" vs. skill. I thought that when one talked about ability as referring to a persons talent or genetic potential, one would usually use the term "talent" or in some cases (but not all) "innate ability". Yours is a tricky language...

................................................................................................

"Yours is a tricky language..."
..........................................................................................

Now that's the truth and then some...

My own pet peeve: the 'complications' of usage pale by comparison to the ludicrous
free-for-all that is Spelling in English.

Dale

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pocket Speed- hitting the OB at a speed firm enough that it doesn't roll off but soft enough that if it touches the rail before the pocket it will most likely still fall.
I think pocket speed is something you learn to gauge with experience .
Optimal speed for ball pocketing
This would be my definition of it

Jesus, joseph and mary, How can anybody NOT know that pocket speed is the speed at which
an OB that misses stays HUNG-UP in the jaws of the pocket.

Absolutely essential in One Pocket, also mucho handy in Bank Pool and 8 Ball.
Straight Pool, not so much.

Just to clarify - the optimal "speed" for pocketing balls - and for cue ball control as well
are certainly valid topics worthy of discussion.

Dale

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
According to Billiards forum.info, two definitions are offered and these are the ones I agree with. :smile:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While I agree that playing pocket speed is important, it seems that it is not nearly as important that some would have it in rotation games and snooker (while no one can deny the importance in straight pool and one pocket). Watching professional standard pool and snooker shows that they prefer to hit shots with a medium/firm speed and positive cueing whenever possible, even when slower alternatives are available (the two universal exceptions being balls on or extremely close to the rail in snooker and of course pocket cheating shots in pool.)

I guess why many instructors recommend amateurs to play certain shots slowly ,in contrast to professionals, is to increase their success with these shots since their make percentage with higher speed may be suspect. while for the pros (whose make percentage on the same shots are almost 100%) the element of risk of a bad contact at slower speed and avoiding "getting out of stroke" is more important. I find that the better I'm playing, the harder I'm hitting shots (not like Ram shots but quite firm). I remember watching one match with Efren Reyes where he was playing terribly (relative to his normal standard) and one commentator very astutely observed that he was "babying the ball". His standard of play immidiately improved when he started shooting shots more firmly.

The easiest way to learn pocket speed IMHO is the so called brainwashing drill where you throw 15 balls out and try to run them off whithout touching a rail. The L-drill, when played properly will also give you opportunities to practice this.

I agree 100% and I use the EXACT words you just mentioned, "BABYING THE BALL".

I hit the balls a lot firmer than most people who I've noticed playing today. I think the current fashion to play pool is to shoot softer and use spin, rather than "stroke", to play the game.

You can tell who is stroking balls around the table, because hitting the pocket with a firm crisp shot sounds a lot louder than spinning them in.

I would have to say that the majority of my screw-ups have had something to do with "babying the ball" when I shouldn't have.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jesus, joseph and mary, How can anybody NOT know that pocket speed is the speed at which
an OB that misses stays HUNG-UP in the jaws of the pocket.

Absolutely essential in One Pocket, also mucho handy in Bank Pool and 8 Ball.
Straight Pool, not so much.

Just to clarify - the optimal "speed" for pocketing balls - and for cue ball control as well
are certainly valid topics worthy of discussion.

Dale
Hmm, I'm sorry but many people use the term "pocket speed" to mean the speed that maximizes the chance that the ball drops, and not "if you miss, it will stay in the jaws."

I'm not sure which is the more common definition, but that's the funny thing about language: there are no stone tablets from God. Word meanings come from word usage, not the other way around. Maybe it depends on which games you play more often. One pocket and 8-ball players: if you miss, it jaws; rotation players: maximize pocketing?

I think I'll do a poll on this and see which definition is more common.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hmm, I'm sorry but many people use the term "pocket speed" to mean the speed that maximizes the chance that the ball drops, and not "if you miss, it will stay in the jaws."

I'm not sure which is the more common definition, but that's the funny thing about language: there are no stone tablets from God. Word meanings come from word usage, not the other way around. Maybe it depends on which games you play more often. One pocket and 8-ball players: if you miss, it jaws; rotation players: maximize pocketing?

I think I'll do a poll on this and see which definition is more common.

Why don't we just ask San Jose Dick - I'm sure he was slow rolling balls in
One Pocket long before most of you mugs were born.

Swing and a miss on the language excuse. 'Pocket Speed' is terminology, not
conversational exchange. As with "Spot Shot' or 'In Baulk' one doesn't have the option
of dreaming up a new definition just because it pleases the ear of the beholder(behearer?)

Dale

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
Pocket Speed Definition

Pocket speed refers to the velocity at which there is just enough speed for the object ball to reach the pocket (and go in)....

Believe it or not, the term " pocket speed" was given a somewhat official definition many years ago and this is pretty much it ^.
[Koehler 1989]

That said, call it whatever you like.
My lasagna is finally done and it's time to eat.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Believe it or not, the term " pocket speed" was given a somewhat official definition many years ago and this is pretty much it ^.
[Koehler 1989]

Hey, that's what I said it was.
You got a little extra of that Lasagna, maybe? :smile:

Sorry, you were the one who was wrong about the definition(s).

But nice try on deflection instead of admitting.

Speaking of educate, this is a forum for discussion.

Dale(who is not surprised)

See posts 50 and 70. I'm surprised you missed post 70 as it was replying to, er, you.

Now, aside from reading and comprehension skills, is there anything else i can help you with?

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
[Koehler 1989]

So in other words, I was right. :p Heck, I even provided a real life example, and people still want to argue.

Actually, hitting the ball so that it just barely reaches the pocket and goes in, is the exact definition of pocket speed.

Here's an example (at the 6:30 mark) demonstrated by your boyfriend.

:lovies::wub::wub::wub::grin-loving::grin-loving::grin-loving::grin-loving::lovies:

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
See posts 50 and 70. I'm surprised you missed post 70 as it was replying to, er, you.

Now, aside from reading and comprehension skills, is there anything else i can help you with?

You can't understand even a little bit can you?

The definitions I was referring too - which you were dead wrong about - were those
for ability and skill.

But I can see why you misunderstood - all I did was cut and paste an ENTIRE page
from Google search.

Since no one could possibly be a stupid as you are pretending to be, the only reasonable explanation is...

Troll - which I do not feed.

Dale(who will follow his own advise)

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why don't we just ask San Jose Dick - I'm sure he was slow rolling balls in
One Pocket long before most of you mugs were born.

Swing and a miss on the language excuse. 'Pocket Speed' is terminology, not
conversational exchange. As with "Spot Shot' or 'In Baulk' one doesn't have the option
of dreaming up a new definition just because it pleases the ear of the beholder(behearer?)

Dale

I did the poll on the two definitions we're talking about, and it's been pretty close. Currently about 55% are endorsing the "maximize ball drop" definition and 45% are for the "jaws if it misses" definition.

And all language is "dreamed up." Where and when do you think the phrase 'pocket speed' came from? Somebody dreamed it up, other people heard it and used it - often differently than the way the first person used it, and it spread like that. The difference between you and me is that I recognize that fact, but you're trying to claim that one particular definition - coincidentally the one that you use - is the stone tablet version.

OK, if that's true, you should be able to prove that. In this thread I've seen two definitions that were published. The first said that there were two valid uses of the phrase, and the second had a different definition completely. So let's see it - if you're right and you know the one and only absolute truth of the definition and etymology of the phrase, provide some evidence.

You can't understand even a little bit can you?

The definitions I was referring too - which you were dead wrong about - were those
for ability and skill.

But I can see why you misunderstood - all I did was cut and paste an ENTIRE page
from Google search.

Since no one could possibly be a stupid as you are pretending to be, the only reasonable explanation is...

Troll - which I do not feed.

Dale(who will follow his own advise)

Lol.

:wave3: