playing pocket speed

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why don't we just ask San Jose Dick - I'm sure he was slow rolling balls in One Pocket long before most of you mugs were born.

Dale

True statement Dale...However, simply 'slow rolling' is not always an accurate description of "Pocket Speed"...Many responders are worried about 'pocket size', 'roll-off', 'wet tables' etc...Of course, all these things are factors in ANY game, but pocket speed transcends them all !..Unless the table is too bad to play on anyway, roll-offs are commonplace, and are really not all that important !

If you don't learn the rails, and the speed of the table..(fairly quickly) you will never be able to play highly competitive one pocket !..It is really the only game, that places such a huge premium on being able to master good 'pocket speed' !
..Sure, it may come up occasionally in other discipline's..But in NO game, is it more important to try and keep your opponent digging balls out of your hole, than one pocket !..Games like (snooker table) golf, and one pocket, call for very precise lagging, kicking, and speed control skills !..Its always been that way, and always will be ! ;)

Last edited:

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
Pocket Speed- hitting the OB at a speed firm enough that it doesn't roll off but soft enough that if it touches the rail before the pocket it will most likely still fall.
I think pocket speed is something you learn to gauge with experience .
Optimal speed for ball pocketing
This would be my definition of it

When posted this I had rotation pool on my mind as that's what I play 95% of the time.
As you know in rotation you do not want to hang the ball by the pocket. I guess it could be different for different games but this is what I consider "pocket speed"

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When posted this I had rotation pool on my mind as that's what I play 95% of the time.
As you know in rotation you do not want to hang the ball by the pocket. I guess it could be different for different games but this is what I consider "pocket speed"

Thats true Mr. Dude..You would rarely have any need for 'pocket speed' in any of the rotation games, or even 8ball..Thats why I tried to explain its advantages, in post #103 !..How many times, have you heard (or seen) a good one pocket mover, get the best of a 'straight shooter' he would have no chance playing 9ball with ? :confused:

Broaden your horizon's, and take a big step up to the game of one pocket !..I'm sure you play well enough to grasp it pretty quickly ! (but please, give it more than 2 weeks :eek:)..You might even learn to like a 'thinking mans' game, where you do something besides "paint by numbers", and try to get ball in hand, before the other guy does ! :rolleyes: :wink:

PS..Also, you can prolong your playing days !..Learn the game, before you get too old and blind ! ;)

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMHO, the definition changes depending upon the layout of the table.

If we are just pocketing a ball, I consider pocket speed the speed required to hit the pocket without "overpowering" the shot. Hitting the ball with just enough force to keep it online until it goes over the shelf and into the pocket.

If there is a ball that I need to get position on, then "pocket speed" becomes something different. It becomes the speed I need to pocket the ball combined with the speed (or spin) I need to maneuver the cue ball after I make the object ball.

Last edited:

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sooner or later it's inevitable; you must learn pocket speed. It's boring. It takes the fun out of the game, but it must be done.

Question is, how?

Easy
Hold mid section of cue. Better still shoot with short cue
That is what I do anyway.
:grin-square:

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMHO, the definition changes depending upon the layout of the table.

IMO it changes based on the game. Thats been my experience anyways. There is no one on this board who can say with 100% certainty what the original usage was. Unless you were alive and are the person who coined it, it would be considered hearsay, cause I would bet dollars to donuts that its not documented anywhere.
That said, one pocket guys refer to it as hanging a ball in your hole, and the rotation guys will say it means a ball that rolls off the slate into the pocket vs slapping the back. Which came first the chicken or the egg? Doesnt matter, its just a phrase used to describe different things.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I did the poll on the two definitions we're talking about, and it's been pretty close. Currently about 55% are endorsing the "maximize ball drop" definition and 45% are for the "jaws if it misses" definition.

And all language is "dreamed up." Where and when do you think the phrase 'pocket speed' came from? Somebody dreamed it up, other people heard it and used it - often differently than the way the first person used it, and it spread like that. The difference between you and me is that I recognize that fact, but you're trying to claim that one particular definition - coincidentally the one that you use - is the stone tablet version.

OK, if that's true, you should be able to prove that. In this thread I've seen two definitions that were published. The first said that there were two valid uses of the phrase, and the second had a different definition completely. So let's see it - if you're right and you know the one and only absolute truth of the definition and etymology of the phrase, provide some evidence.

So I guess your language skills don't go far enough to include terminology do they?
Fission and fusion are both processes in Nuclear Physics. Do you think some
freshman student could get away with switching the definitions because he thought
that would be a better choice?

Back to pool, suppose you were teaching your granddaughter about position, using
the spot shot for demonstration. Now imagine she says something like: "Listen you
stupid old fart, when I say spot shot I mean any shot where one of the balls rolls over the spot.

Wouldn't you have just the slightest inclination to correct her misunderstanding?

Dale

It is sumptuously ironic to hear americans bicker over cue sport terminology. What is a bank shot? A bridge? English? Other than a language you've butchered, what does that mean when it comes to the game of pocket billiards?

I can't say it surprises me pd has such fundamentalist tendencies, however.

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
It is sumptuously ironic to hear americans bicker over cue sport terminology. What is a bank shot? A bridge? English? Other than a language you've butchered, what does that mean when it comes to the game of pocket billiards?

I can't say it surprises me pd has such fundamentalist tendencies, however.

I guess everyone thinks they are right....... How about capitalizing America when you reference it if you don't mind

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Don't forget, though, arguing over semantics gives us something to do.
Talking about cues tips, LD shafts, and how much my Meucci is worth, gets really old after a while. There's only so much of that mundane crap that a person can tolerate before they need some sort of release. Did you ever see a convict pacing up and down in his cell. It's like that.
That is why humans need to vent, from time to time. To set loose those pent up emotions, and accumulated anxieties. To reach out and blast the living shit out of someone close by, regardless of how hurtful, or mean spirited that outburst might be. It's life on a forum, kids. We knew it going in.
How do you deal with it? Easy. Just push the ignore button in your mind and go do something else for awhile. When you get back there will surely be someone talking about why Cue Silk is slicker than monkey jizz on a Meucci red dot with a milk dud on it, and you can jump right in. :smile:

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
Don't forget, though, arguing over semantics gives us something to do.
Talking about cues tips, LD shafts, and how much my Meucci is worth, gets really old after a while. There's only so much of that mundane crap that a person can tolerate before they need some sort of release. Did you ever see a convict pacing up and down in his cell. It's like that.
That is why humans need to vent, from time to time. To set loose those pent up emotions, and accumulated anxieties. To reach out and blast the living shit out of someone close by, regardless of how hurtful, or mean spirited that outburst might be. It's life on a forum, kids. We knew it going in.
How do you deal with it? Easy. Just push the ignore button in your mind and go do something else for awhile. When you get back there will surely be someone talking about why Cue Silk is slicker than monkey jizz on a Meucci red dot with a milk dud on it, and you can jump right in. :smile:

" ...they're called boobs Ed...."

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I guess your language skills don't go far enough to include terminology do they?
Fission and fusion are both processes in Nuclear Physics. Do you think some
freshman student could get away with switching the definitions because he thought
that would be a better choice?

Back to pool, suppose you were teaching your granddaughter about position, using
the spot shot for demonstration. Now imagine she says something like: "Listen you
stupid old fart, when I say spot shot I mean any shot where one of the balls rolls over the spot.

Wouldn't you have just the slightest inclination to correct her misunderstanding?

Dale
I understand that you see the term 'pocket speed' this way. I get it. So I've asked you to show that your definition is the correct one. You could cite a ton of scientific papers, dictionaries, etc. that specify the meanings of terms in nuclear physics. You can even find many pool terms defined consistently in multiple books and articles, terms like spot shot.

So please find some references to the term 'pocket speed.' If it's so obvious it should be really easy. "I once knew an old guy who said..." doesn't cut it.

And yeah, it drives me crazy when people use terms incorrectly. Two of my pet peeves are when people use the term 'data' as a singular noun, or 'begs the question' to mean 'raises the question.' And you know what, in both cases the "incorrect" usages have become accepted and recognized in dictionaries.