More camera help - video

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
A video camera that shoots well in low light. I want to possibly record a One Pocket game or lesson to review. To see what was done right/wrong,etc. iPhones are no good.... Would need to record for an hour or so. The Go-Pro was suggested but I'll take other recommendations. I currently have a camcorder with mini tape. I hate it. Would like a camera with a card or hard drive. Simple to use. Thanks. Frank

Canon HF G10. Under $500 used and shoots great in low light, I would go with HF G20 for another 100 or 200 as it performs a little better in low light.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Canon HF G10. Under $500 used and shoots great in low light, I would go with HF G20 for another 100 or 200 as it performs a little better in low light.

Thanks Fast. One of these is perfect. The HF G10 is showing for over $1000......HG20 for $799. I'm going to look into the G20.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks everyone. Special thanks to Bob J. & Fast Lennie. I like the Canon G20 or might take look at the Panasonic.
I'm am a Canon fan so that might influence me.

M.Mike....thanks for taking the time to review and suggest the equipment. It's way more than I need but if I ever got serious I'd have a chat with you. Your photography is absolutely beautiful. So are your pool accessories. You have great hands man.

Last edited:

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Stuff

dude....explain this pic....whats the wood? andwhat is the contraption? beautiful.....
QUOTE]
I don't really know what I am doing, had/have health issues, can no longer work for anyone.
I have a mechanical and machining history, I want to be a cue maker , and have made a couple of jump cues and playing cues .
But along the way I started to make these pocket chalkers just to practice wood working so I could start making cues.
I don't know what to say, I make them the best I can.
Now I include a tool to push the chalk out of the staked leather piece .
Anyway that's what they are ...

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
I believe the Canon Vixia G40 is the latest model. So, buying a refurb or used G10/20 is a good choice if you're looking to save money. Not unlike buying a Predator BK1/BK2 right after the newer BK3 comes out. The Vixia G series is known for their low light capability. Make sure you get an extended battery. The original battery will like last 45-75 minutes, while extended will let you run 4-6 hours.

The 5D MK II is iconic, just like the ebony nose Southwest. Put a Canon 5D MKII with a 85mm f1.2 lens in the hands of someone who really knows the relationship between shutter speed, ISO, and aperture in manual setting, and you can really extract its potential. Putting a 5D in my hands won't make me a better photographer if I don't pay attention to my fundamentals, just like putting Frankie Hernandez' newer wrapless Southwest won't make me play like a short stop. I'll still be making my D+ mistakes.

If you're going to buy DSLR cameras, invest in the lenses not the bodies. Newer bodies come out every year. Years ago I was going to buy a Canon 7D, instead I went with the Canon T2i and spent the money on 85mm F1.8 and 30mm F1.4. If cameras were pool cues then the bodies are the butt and lenses are the shafts.

On Canon DSLRs, you can get around the 30 minute video limit by installing Magic Lantern. It will automatically re-start the record button when you reach either 30 minutes or 4GB.

Thanks everyone. Special thanks to Bob J. & Fast Lennie. I like the Canon G20 or might take look at the Panasonic.

M.Mike....thanks for taking the time to review and suggest the equipment. It's way more than I need but if I ever got serious I'd have a chat with you. Your photography is absolutely beautiful. So are your pool accessories. You have great hands man.

Last edited:

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
dude....explain this pic....whats the wood? andwhat is the contraption? beautiful.....
QUOTE]
I don't really know what I am doing, had/have health issues, can no longer work for anyone.
I have a mechanical and machining history, I want to be a cue maker , and have made a couple of jump cues and playing cues .
But along the way I started to make these pocket chalkers just to practice wood working so I could start making cues.
I don't know what to say, I make them the best I can.
Now I include a tool to push the chalk out of the staked leather piece .
Anyway that's what they are ...

awesome!!!! what about that piece of awesome burl or whateer in the background? or is it fossilized something? that loooks sweet.... I've got bunches of stuff and trade often with a local trading post....may be getting this amazing block of petrified red palm!!!!

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I believe the Canon Vixia G40 is the latest model. So, buying a refurb or used G10/20 is a good choice

Thanks cty. New or bust for me. Looks like BH photo is getting more G20's. Is the 40 that much better. Runs about $400 more.

Last edited:

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Video

If I lived closer I would fill your pool room with a camera and a couple of Continuous florescent lights and give it a go with a 24mm lens.
And just see how it would look .

I could do any stills photos you needed done ..

I am ready just send the air line ticket, I have camera and pool cue at hand.

You need to join that forum I talked about, they have a used camera section and the members that are selling seem pretty honest considering I bought 12 to 15 K in photography gear without a hick up..

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/

Can you change lenses on the cam recorder you are thinking of buying ?

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If I lived closer I would fill your pool room with a camera and a couple of Continuous florescent lights and give it a go with a 24mm lens.
And just see how it would look .

I could do any stills photos you needed done ..

I am ready just send the air line ticket, I have camera and pool cue at hand.

You need to join that forum I talked about, they have a used camera section and the members that are selling seem pretty honest considering I bought 12 to 15 K in photography gear without a hick up..

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/

Can you change lenses on the cam recorder you are thinking of buying ?

I'm am signed onto POTN. I think my handle is 2Canons. Has been a while. As far as changing lens...not sure what the recorder does. However something for under $500 would most likely be ok for what I'm doing with it.
Yep...sorry we're not neighbors. Would like to learn more about my taig lathe than photography. I got fairly good with tips, tenons and ferrules. Would like to learn to pin for JP's...just for fun. I do not sell anything.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
my pet wood

awesome!!!! what about that piece of awesome burl or whateer in the background? or is it fossilized something? that loooks sweet.... I've got bunches of stuff and trade often with a local trading post....may be getting this amazing block of petrified red palm!!!!

Manzanita burl wood , been putting orange oil and bees wax on that wood for a decade ...
Looks pretty ripe to me ..
I have some ready to be made into a pocket chalker..

This where I got that piece of wood .
https://www.bing.com/mapspreview?&t...N70x664186~&cp=34.792469~-109.891197&v=2&sV=1

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Taig lathes

I'm am signed onto POTN. I think my handle is 2Canons. Has been a while. As far as changing lens...not sure what the recorder does. However something for under $500 would most likely be ok for what I'm doing with it.
Yep...sorry we're not neighbors. Would like to learn more about my taig lathe than photography. I got fairly good with tips, tenons and ferrules. Would like to learn to pin for JP's...just for fun. I do not sell anything.

I use my Taig lathes allot , I have 3 of them.
Do you have the large spindle bore ?

I sale everything I make ......
Making a pipe right now Has 12 slot rings abc LOL

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
I took a quick look at the spec, and didn't see anything worthwhile popping out to me. I'm sure Predator marketing will tell you BK3 is better than the BK1. I wouldn't expect any different from Canon's. For me, personally I would buy the older G20 and keep the money in my pocket or use it towards better lighting.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/compa...G20/BHitems/1210608-REG_963130-REG_909792-REG

Thanks cty. New or bust for me. Looks like BH photo is getting more G20's. Is the 40 that much better. Runs about $400 more.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I use my Taig lathes allot , I have 3 of them.
Do you have the large spindle bore ?

I sale everything I make ......
Making a pipe right now Has 12 slot rings abc LOL
Mid America large
I took a quick look at the spec, and didn't see anything worthwhile popping out to me. I'm sure Predator marketing will tell you BK3 is better than the BK1. I wouldn't expect any different from Canon's. For me, personally I would buy the older G20 and keep the money in my pocket or use it towards better lighting.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/compa...G20/BHitems/1210608-REG_963130-REG_909792-REG

Thanks. I'm sure the 20 would be fine.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Bob,
You should check out Magic Lantern. One of the features is automatically re-starting the record button.

I've used UPS like this as a portable 110 A/C power source.
www.amazon.com/APC-BE550G-Back-UPS-8-outlet-Uninterruptible

With the small draw of the T3i, it should be able to last 10 hours on a 7 amp/hour battery.

The problem with the T3i is that it can only do a 30-minute video without being restarted. Also, you need to buy the AC adapter kit (which replaces the battery) to allow a long enough record time.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A video camera that shoots well in low light. I want to possibly record a One Pocket game or lesson to review. To see what was done right/wrong,etc. iPhones are no good.... Would need to record for an hour or so. The Go-Pro was suggested but I'll take other recommendations. I currently have a camcorder with mini tape. I hate it. Would like a camera with a card or hard drive. Simple to use. Thanks. Frank

For an economical way, just a simple flash memory camcorder on a cheap tripod would capture an hour rather easily for for you. In HD, with just the light of the pool table, you'd be amazed at the clarity and detail that can be captured.

It won't be documentary quality as others have pointed out- you would need the better lenses, camera etc. for that.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-ha...lack/2964179.p?id=1219563946200&skuId=2964179

After a $30 memory card, you'd be up and running for less than $400.

The video could be dropped to your hard drive and onto YouTube immediately. No gopro formatting, extra editing, or time delay.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Large bore

Mid America large

Not that hard to make a cue on that lathe,.

Get a deco cue ridged veneer trimer mount . 160.00
Buy the ridgid veneer trimmer new life time warranty home depot. 99.00
Buy the 1/4 arbor and slitting saw blade from Chris Hightower 70 bucks with veneers
And buy some veneers from him too .

You can do slotted rings and scallops

I don't have photos of doing scallops yet..

Last edited:

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
So what is this

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 890