The BeCue System - Carbon Composite Cue - Interview with the Cue Makers

spidermik

Registered
This has nothing to do with a mistranslated word.

Doesn't this say "patented" or am I reading this incorrectly?

This would be just one example of an unsubstantiated claim, as you do not have a patent on this. Pending, waiting, maybe, kind of, sort of, are not the same as being awarded an actual patent in which the text on your website claims to have happened.

And what player(s) have conducted your tests? Testing what? When? How? You claim they (the internationally UNKNOWN players) have given their blessings to your product after completing tests. Prove it.

Also, what a tasteful shirt to attach the image of your company. Although curse words are used in emotional communication transfers, I do believe it to be in poor taste to be asking the masses here for money whilst having such fast and loose mindset.

P.S. I've not tried to discredit anything, just stating to you what myself and other people will look at when you make such requests. Perception is a heavyweight in this business and right now you have a lightweight influence on my wallet.

Really we do not understand your commitment to discredit us, anyway, why you don't post this image?

leonardo.jpg

or this?

aurora.jpg

because these are really easy to find, are everywhere, in our site, in our Kickstarter campaign, in our facebook.

However, we have just sent at the agency that translated texts a query about this.
Fortunately you are the only person who raised this linguistic controversy, perhaps because other people have seen well the main images, and they understood that our company is absolutely transparent.

Thanks again for your participation, it is right, if there are translation errors must be corrected! And it will be made after the Agency's opinion.

About our t-shirt, we regret that you do not like, many players have asked to have it!

Have a nice day!

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My original very polite request was for more transparency, as I stated before, it's my hard earned money and this is what I am asking in return. A very simple concept and nothing more. If I choose to point a few concerns out, so what?

I investigate when strange new companies show up with unsubstantiated claims, and ask for my money. If I had, no interest in the product whatsoever you may have something to run with. However I am interested in the product and would like more verifiable information. If this cannot be provided, it gets a thumbs down from me and I wouldn't advise anyone I speak to about it.

I support the notion of advancement, enough that I pay attention, close attention.

Bravo to me.

So at point will you post your apology that you were wrong about your assumption that something dishonest was going on and your implication of dishonesty in your other post?

As alessandro just pointed out, there were web site statements of "patent pending" which you chose to ignore in your previous clip and paste posts.

Its all of our hard earned money, and many from 8 different countries decided after communicating with the cue makers that these guys are not only legit, but good people for the pool world.

You could've had your Italian friend call them up by phone or simple email for explanation instead of trying to play forum/internet detective. But you chose not to so there was already a desired view point by you.

Either way, an apology is in order...Will it be when members here post video/pictures of them playing with the BeCue? Or maybe you'll make the trek to SBE and see them in person with a hand shake? Or will it be here, right now, when you realize your conclusions were wrong?

dvs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Congrats

Hello Spider:

Congrats are in order. I was one of the first to back you guys and commented in the earlier thread.

I think you addressed this patent misinterpretation more than adequately; if it was me I wouldn't waste any more time with that guy.

I wish you all the success in the world.

Looking forward to trying out your cue.

Best of luck and Merry Christmas

Dave

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks a lot BBB,

Retail price will be close to 950 for the naked, if you choose NAKED SUPER EARLY BIRD reward (500 €) on kickstarter you save 450 €,

Retail price will be close to 1250 for the Sneaky Pete, if you choose SNEAKY SUPER EARLY BIRD reward (650€) on kickstarter you save 600 €.

thanks for the reply
wish you much success

spidermik

Registered
Hello Spider:

Congrats are in order. I was one of the first to back you guys and commented in the earlier thread.

I think you addressed this patent misinterpretation more than adequately; if it was me I wouldn't waste any more time with that guy.

I wish you all the success in the world.

Looking forward to trying out your cue.

Best of luck and Merry Christmas

Dave

Thanks a lot dvs,

Now we begin to work hard to try to reduce the delivery time!
We want to deliver as soon as possible the cues!

Thanks for your support

Merry Christmas!
Alessandro

Jawzcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For the Record

All, Let me start by saying again, that I was quite interested in your product/project. I’m a complete pool junky, I’ve played with the new REVO, 314, Z, Mezz WX 700 and 900, OB, OB+, and Meucci Black Dot, along with countless customs. I’ve also seen many unsubstantiated claims made all over the forum from players and makers alike. I believe in the power of innovation and I also believe in due diligence and doing my homework, I’m not rich and 600-1000 USD for me is a whole lot of money.

For the Record here are the things that caused me to draw pause and question the validity of your kickstatrter proposal in the order I encountered them:

1. Youtube Video using footage from the Hustler and Accu-Stats. I seriously doubt anyone in billiards, I mean any company, has the money to buy the rights to use Footage from a major motion picture and imagine Paul Newman’s lawyers would sue if they saw this. I will email accu-stats today and ask if you sought their permission to use their video footage as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezntCTyWrmc

My Personal Conclusion - No respect for others intellectual property

2. Youtube video of Practical Deflection test. There is nothing scientific or practical about this test. A problem that plagues many in billiards. In watching the video, watch the players bridge and hand at the :42 second mark- he’s not stroking center and applying heavy english, the player strikes the ball off angle trying to reduce squirt. Also an overhead camera would show if the cues path and Ball’s path were straight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwNrT28zoBg

My Personal Conclusion - Smoke and mirrors, If BeCue were interested in really testing, it would have worked a lot harder on creating a more scientific test.

3. Leonardo Weight System – works to accomplish the same thing at double the price of Predator’s thing that has way more adjustments, not much of an innovation and I wonder how you will get the patent when I find old patents for a similar system dating back to the 1960’s. Don’t believe me just go to google patents and search for “Weighted handle for a billiard cue”

https://patents.google.com/patent/US3342489A/en?q=weighted&q=handle&q=billiard+cue

My Personal Conclusion - this isn’t really new, different or innovative. Also Predator’s thing is cheaper ½ the price… but who wants to change their weight all the time anyway

4. Your copy states patented and patent pending in different locations. As a start-up on kick-starter proposing a revolutionary new product, I’d expect you to know the difference, and blaming a translation service is an easy out. Did the translation service also get the dates wrong too? I’m going on what I see and can research. Please don’t find fault with me for errors in your proposal.

My Personal Conclusion - Are these guy for real? Or did they just file a few applications and make a video or two, and are about to walk with 20K

5. Not a single known pro player is the USA, Europe or Asia has been seen to test or use your product. I can’t verify they didn’t but no one on this forum of devoted fans has seen it or heard from them. And I watch the Eurotour on Kozoom, haven’t seen it there either.

My Personal Conclusion - with only a month until your Product is supposed to ship, how can I believe it will perform well? You can’t believe everything someone writes on the internet.

I’m done. I was trying to protect the passionate good people here on AZB that love this game. I’ve put too much time into this now, but don’t like having my motives questioned anymore than you do. Perception is reality, and these points are how my perception was formed.

I look forward to seeing your product at SBE.

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
I have no dog in this race, but as far as the patent information goes, from what I hear it could take many years to actually get your patent. Once you pay to get your patent pending, no one can copy your concept. Many don't go further than the pending stage because it takes too long & too much money.

So for me as far as anyone saying they have a patent pending, it's good enough for me.

spidermik

Registered
I have no dog in this race, but as far as the patent information goes, from what I hear it could take many years to actually get your patent. Once you pay to get your patent pending, no one can copy your concept. Many don't go further than the pending stage because it takes too long & too much money.

So for me as far as anyone saying they have a patent pending, it's good enough for me.

Things are exactly as you said, the process is very long and expensive. It can also take years to see approved the patent and to extend it to other countries.

In our case we will have to wait about 9-12 months for a definitive answer of approval or non-approval.

File a patent, correctly, is a very complicated and long process because in addition to the content, it must also respect the correct form of writing.
In short, the best thing is to rely on a specialized company, as we did. This choice requires more money but it allows to have a greater guarantee of approval because these companies, before becoming active in patent drafting, perform an operation which is called "prior art search" (I hope that the translation is correct ...).
This can cost up to $ 2,000, and we did.
If this research meets expectations, you can proceed with writing and then with the presentation.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The BeCue has been realized and I received mine Friday of last week.
I completed my "first impressions" review after five hours of drills and I'm thoroughly impressed.

Alessandro and the BeCue team are stellar in their customer service but more importantly, their engineering.

My compete write-up is on my home computer and I'll be posting it here later tonight when I get home from work.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Pool cues

Personally I believe it is next to impossible to match the feedback or sound of a maple shaft...
Not trying to be negative but I don't know of any material and technic that anyone can do to match the sound that a solid maple shaft makes when hitting the cue ball.
I would have to listen to the hit on one of the Becues to believe it........

How about maintenance ?
Can the local backyard pool cue repairman repair or replace the ferrule on a Becue ?

Can you post your warranty policy ???

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BeCue Product Review February 2017

Custom made 31” Shaft at 12.05mm diameter and 31” butt (Naked design)

First Impressions after 5 complete hours of use

I understand that Cue’s will change over time. I never really put too much stock into cue reviews unless they are given in the right context. Most shafts/cues hit great right out of the box. But the real story is how will they play after 300 hours of use. With that, I would like to preface these views and comments on the BeCue 5.1 shaft and carbon composite butt as a first look with five hours of heavy drills and play. This isn’t after a few hits on a demo table at a trade show. I really didn’t hold anything back with this cue right out of the box. From power stroke drills to light touch shots – I tried to go as complete as I could in regards to testing this product and to get a solid idea as to the viability of carbon composite in a playing cue compared to a novelty/fad.

THE LOOK

Right out of the box, the BeCue is, for lack of a better word, mesmerizing. Under the glow of my home table fluorescents, watching the butt section’s carbon composite fiber weave pattern dance in the reflective light is unlike anything I’ve ever seen before in a pool cue. It’s eye catching to say the least, and makes you want to take a closer look.

The white shaft is beautiful and naturally neutral to the eye. It complements the dark grey/black weave pattern of the butt – a no-frills, no-flash simple design of modern cue technology. The white shaft does not take any getting used to when down on a shot and sighting in.

I’ve never been one for cleaning and maintaining spotless shafts. I always saw the dark blue stained shaft as a badge of honor – a symbol of all the hard work you have put in on the table. Therefore, I am looking forward to a weathered chalk-stained battle hardened look of the white BeCue 5.1 shaft. But so far, the cue maintains its cleanliness and doesn’t stain as easily as, for example, the white ferrule material that is used in other shafts.

THE WEIGHT

I do not have an accurate scale to weigh the cue so all I can do is compare to my current cue (Predator P3 butt, with 4” mid cue extension, OB+ classic shaft) which clocks in at 21 oz.

The 31” BeCue butt has a better feel/balance than my Predator P3 butt with the 4” extension installed. The 31” shaft has a great weight to it all on its own. It feels more solid than any other low deflection shaft that I own. The same goes for the standard 29” BeCue shaft. (The standard size BeCue cut/shaft comes in at 19 oz. and can be adjusted in weight with the Leonardo system by .5 oz to the desired weight)
The cue together has amazing weight distribution. I easily utilized the Leonardo Balance system and plugged in the largest weight cartridge and immediately the feel to my regular cue (Predator P3 with added uni-loc weight system) was identical.
The Leonardo Balance system is quite the invention. It is easily installed and can easily be removed with the supplied magnet cap. The pieces are machined extremely accurately and the weights fit exact and tight inside the butt. With the fairly powerful magnet, you can slowly work the weight back and forth while pulling out and it slips right out. However, once the player finds their preferred feel—the weight will stay in there for a while and the end cap screws in extremely tight and locks down.

With the BeCue shaft having some weight to it, and after adding weight to the back of the cue, it still has a great balance and weight distribution. With my other cue, on rail shots, with cue ball frozen to the rail requiring a super short bridge—when choking up on the grip to use a shorter backstroke, the shaft would tend to raise up since the balance was shifted further back. Here the shaft stays down and exact, because of the engineered weight distribution. In my research I learned that this was specifically engineered by utilizing the metallic steel/titanium components to distribute the weight throughout and provide for a superior feel. This goal has been successfully achieved here with the BeCue.

THE FEEL

The BeCue butt diameter comes in at 30mm, which is a hair under my original Predator P3 butt at 32mm. This is my preferred thickness, which is more comfortable for me over other thinner diameter cues that I own (Predator IKON, Lucasi, and Longoni).

I’ve been a wrapless fan for a while so I’m more than happy with the carbon composite/clear coat grip area of the butt.

The shaft is given its white color by a coat of aeronautical paint and it has a slight texture to it. It is not a varnish or clear coat in any way so it’s not sticky and slides quite nicely through my open and closed bridges.

However, I prefer a bit more smoothness to the shaft, especially the 15-18 inches from the tip so I treated this shaft just like any of my other wood shafts and used my cue burnishing/cleaning pad. A few times over with the light grit side, then a few more times over with the smooth leather side—worked like a charm. The shaft is slick and smooth and slides even better. In the new realm of carbon fiber cues – this is extremely unique to the BeCue. The paint acts as a barrier over the carbon composite, and it can be slightly modified for feel. Of course, you can’t sand too much, but then again, you can’t do that with wood either or you could lose the taper/diameter in areas.

THE HIT

In my opinion, this is the greatest quality of the BeCue—the hit.
Even with just a handful of shots, and a brand new tip, you realize that this is a new experience to the game of pool. The hit of this cue is solid and steady, yet still low deflection. There is zero trade-off between the two.

As accustomed to smaller diameter low deflection shafts, there usually is a vibration of some form—especially when loading up on an extreme power shot. With BeCue, not an ounce of vibration is felt throughout the cue or seen visually in the shaft on the follow through of the shot. This shaft plays solid and stays solid no matter what.
The sound is solid and low. Gone is that hollow “thunk” sound of other LD shafts. The only modification needed for sound/hit is your choice of tip. The stock Ultraskin Medium tip did not have that hardness out of the box, but with the elimination of a few layers, another few hours of heavy play to further compress the remaining layers—I’m now getting that crisp pop that I prefer in the hit. I most likely will be changing to my usual Kamui Black Medium, which will go a bit harder and crisper. But that is my preference. The steady aspect here is the shaft—it sounds solid.

I even conducted a sound test with various other shafts. Side by side comparison—a predator Z2, Longoni S2, OB classic, OB+ classic, Samsara True Shaft, and the BeCue 5.1—lightly tapping them against the table slate, you can hear the variations in pitch from the cored out wood and without a doubt, the BeCue sounds (and feels) more solid than the rest. This is due to the rubber compound composite sound dampening material that is used inside and the result is superb. This is an engineering success of some significance.

CONCLUSION

After 5 hours of playing with BeCue, I am a big fan. I will continue to play with this cue. I was convinced not just after the 5 hours of BeCue, but more so when I decided to immediately shift back and work with my main playing cue to see the difference. It was night and day. I never realized how much vibration there was before. This experience was like getting glasses for the first time after going years without, and seeing so clear, then taking the glasses off and realizing just what you’ve been missing.

The greatest realization is that this cue out of the box and with 5 hours of play, after it is all said and done, will be the same cue after 1,000 hours of play. That is the main advantage and selling point of Carbon fiber. The realization that you can get used to something the way it is and it won’t crack, deteriorate, or expire on you under regular play. And THAT is something that this sport has never seen before.

Already we have seen Carbon Fiber in a shaft, but this entire cue is carbon fiber composite and pretty darn tough. Already, as clumsy as I am, while practicing…moving to my next shot and chalking around the corner of my Brunswick Gold Crown, I inadvertently caught one of those pesky metal corner castings with the butt of my shiny new BeCue…I quickly looked it over expecting the usual dent and found nothing. Already, it’s working as advertised. Bravo BeCue.

RECOMMENDATIONS FOR IMPROVEMENT

The 5.1 Shaft comes with a standard taper that begins about an inch from the tip. For those who utilize a shorter bridge, not as long of a follow through, this will not even register. However, it is noticeable with a longer bridge and takes some getting used to. Again, this is carbon fiber, and can't be modified so it has to be built for the player's specs right out of the box.

The guys at BeCue informed me they are working on a "pro-taper" design and they aren't quite there yet because it has not performed as well as the 5.1 shaft in the testing process. But they are close.

The butt cap comes locked in extremely tight and requires the use of a small Allen wrench to gain access to the weight cartridge system/area. The tightness is important so it needs to be locked in with a tool. But some player's might not have an allen wrench set.

BeCue is also going to make this correction in the second generation of the Leonardo Balance System - which will come with an ergonomic tool that the player can utilize.

I am also looking forward to the butt extension and break cue products that will be released in the future. This company is trying new things and that is great for us!

I understand that they will have a booth at this year's super billiards expo - please stop by and give these guys a tip of your hat and try one of their cues. It's a new and evolving experience to the sport and it's nice to see it happen.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Nevermind, I see that you have already posted your report.

Thanks,
JoeyA

The BeCue has been realized and I received mine Friday of last week.
I completed my "first impressions" review after five hours of drills and I'm thoroughly impressed.

Alessandro and the BeCue team are stellar in their customer service but more importantly, their engineering.

My compete write-up is on my home computer and I'll be posting it here later tonight when I get home from work.

FANTASTIC!

I look forward to reading your write-up.

Take your time, but PM me a link to your review.

Thanks,
JoeyA

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Your report was thorough and AWESOME.

Some of the people reading your report should know that you can play pool quite well. (That's always a plus)

Anyway, your report of the BeCue almost makes me want to go to the Super Billiard Expo just to see and test their cues and perhaps make a purchase of it.

Thanks again for the great report.

JoeyA

BeCue Product Review February 2017

Custom made 31” Shaft at 12.05mm diameter and 31” butt (Naked design)

First Impressions after 5 complete hours of use

I understand that Cue’s will change over time. I never really put too much stock into cue reviews unless they are given in the right context. Most shafts/cues hit great right out of the box. But the real story is how will they play after 300 hours of use. With that, I would like to preface these views and comments on the BeCue 5.1 shaft and carbon composite butt as a first look with five hours of heavy drills and play. This isn’t after a few hits on a demo table at a trade show. I really didn’t hold anything back with this cue right out of the box. From power stroke drills to light touch shots – I tried to go as complete as I could in regards to testing this product and to get a solid idea as to the viability of carbon composite in a playing cue compared to a novelty/fad.

THE LOOK

Right out of the box, the BeCue is, for lack of a better word, mesmerizing. Under the glow of my home table fluorescents, watching the butt section’s carbon composite fiber weave pattern dance in the reflective light is unlike anything I’ve ever seen before in a pool cue. It’s eye catching to say the least, and makes you want to take a closer look.

The white shaft is beautiful and naturally neutral to the eye. It complements the dark grey/black weave pattern of the butt – a no-frills, no-flash simple design of modern cue technology. The white shaft does not take any getting used to when down on a shot and sighting in.

I’ve never been one for cleaning and maintaining spotless shafts. I always saw the dark blue stained shaft as a badge of honor – a symbol of all the hard work you have put in on the table. Therefore, I am looking forward to a weathered chalk-stained battle hardened look of the white BeCue 5.1 shaft. But so far, the cue maintains its cleanliness and doesn’t stain as easily as, for example, the white ferrule material that is used in other shafts.

THE WEIGHT

I do not have an accurate scale to weigh the cue so all I can do is compare to my current cue (Predator P3 butt, with 4” mid cue extension, OB+ classic shaft) which clocks in at 21 oz.

The 31” BeCue butt has a better feel/balance than my Predator P3 butt with the 4” extension installed. The 31” shaft has a great weight to it all on its own. It feels more solid than any other low deflection shaft that I own. The same goes for the standard 29” BeCue shaft. (The standard size BeCue cut/shaft comes in at 19 oz. and can be adjusted in weight with the Leonardo system by .5 oz to the desired weight)
The cue together has amazing weight distribution. I easily utilized the Leonardo Balance system and plugged in the largest weight cartridge and immediately the feel to my regular cue (Predator P3 with added uni-loc weight system) was identical.
The Leonardo Balance system is quite the invention. It is easily installed and can easily be removed with the supplied magnet cap. The pieces are machined extremely accurately and the weights fit exact and tight inside the butt. With the fairly powerful magnet, you can slowly work the weight back and forth while pulling out and it slips right out. However, once the player finds their preferred feel—the weight will stay in there for a while and the end cap screws in extremely tight and locks down.

With the BeCue shaft having some weight to it, and after adding weight to the back of the cue, it still has a great balance and weight distribution. With my other cue, on rail shots, with cue ball frozen to the rail requiring a super short bridge—when choking up on the grip to use a shorter backstroke, the shaft would tend to raise up since the balance was shifted further back. Here the shaft stays down and exact, because of the engineered weight distribution. In my research I learned that this was specifically engineered by utilizing the metallic steel/titanium components to distribute the weight throughout and provide for a superior feel. This goal has been successfully achieved here with the BeCue.

THE FEEL

The BeCue butt diameter comes in at 30mm, which is a hair under my original Predator P3 butt at 32mm. This is my preferred thickness, which is more comfortable for me over other thinner diameter cues that I own (Predator IKON, Lucasi, and Longoni).

I’ve been a wrapless fan for a while so I’m more than happy with the carbon composite/clear coat grip area of the butt.

The shaft is given its white color by a coat of aeronautical paint and it has a slight texture to it. It is not a varnish or clear coat in any way so it’s not sticky and slides quite nicely through my open and closed bridges.

However, I prefer a bit more smoothness to the shaft, especially the 15-18 inches from the tip so I treated this shaft just like any of my other wood shafts and used my cue burnishing/cleaning pad. A few times over with the light grit side, then a few more times over with the smooth leather side—worked like a charm. The shaft is slick and smooth and slides even better. In the new realm of carbon fiber cues – this is extremely unique to the BeCue. The paint acts as a barrier over the carbon composite, and it can be slightly modified for feel. Of course, you can’t sand too much, but then again, you can’t do that with wood either or you could lose the taper/diameter in areas.

THE HIT

In my opinion, this is the greatest quality of the BeCue—the hit.
Even with just a handful of shots, and a brand new tip, you realize that this is a new experience to the game of pool. The hit of this cue is solid and steady, yet still low deflection. There is zero trade-off between the two.

As accustomed to smaller diameter low deflection shafts, there usually is a vibration of some form—especially when loading up on an extreme power shot. With BeCue, not an ounce of vibration is felt throughout the cue or seen visually in the shaft on the follow through of the shot. This shaft plays solid and stays solid no matter what.
The sound is solid and low. Gone is that hollow “thunk” sound of other LD shafts. The only modification needed for sound/hit is your choice of tip. The stock Ultraskin Medium tip did not have that hardness out of the box, but with the elimination of a few layers, another few hours of heavy play to further compress the remaining layers—I’m now getting that crisp pop that I prefer in the hit. I most likely will be changing to my usual Kamui Black Medium, which will go a bit harder and crisper. But that is my preference. The steady aspect here is the shaft—it sounds solid.

I even conducted a sound test with various other shafts. Side by side comparison—a predator Z2, Longoni S2, OB classic, OB+ classic, Samsara True Shaft, and the BeCue 5.1—lightly tapping them against the table slate, you can hear the variations in pitch from the cored out wood and without a doubt, the BeCue sounds (and feels) more solid than the rest. This is due to the rubber compound composite sound dampening material that is used inside and the result is superb. This is an engineering success of some significance.

CONCLUSION

After 5 hours of playing with BeCue, I am a big fan. I will continue to play with this cue. I was convinced not just after the 5 hours of BeCue, but more so when I decided to immediately shift back and work with my main playing cue to see the difference. It was night and day. I never realized how much vibration there was before. This experience was like getting glasses for the first time after going years without, and seeing so clear, then taking the glasses off and realizing just what you’ve been missing.

The greatest realization is that this cue out of the box and with 5 hours of play, after it is all said and done, will be the same cue after 1,000 hours of play. That is the main advantage and selling point of Carbon fiber. The realization that you can get used to something the way it is and it won’t crack, deteriorate, or expire on you under regular play. And THAT is something that this sport has never seen before.

Already we have seen Carbon Fiber in a shaft, but this entire cue is carbon fiber composite and pretty darn tough. Already, as clumsy as I am, while practicing…moving to my next shot and chalking around the corner of my Brunswick Gold Crown, I inadvertently caught one of those pesky metal corner castings with the butt of my shiny new BeCue…I quickly looked it over expecting the usual dent and found nothing. Already, it’s working as advertised. Bravo BeCue.

RECOMMENDATIONS FOR IMPROVEMENT

The 5.1 Shaft comes with a standard taper that begins about an inch from the tip. For those who utilize a shorter bridge, not as long of a follow through, this will not even register. However, it is noticeable with a longer bridge and takes some getting used to. Again, this is carbon fiber, and can't be modified so it has to be built for the player's specs right out of the box.

The guys at BeCue informed me they are working on a "pro-taper" design and they aren't quite there yet because it has not performed as well as the 5.1 shaft in the testing process. But they are close.

The butt cap comes locked in extremely tight and requires the use of a small Allen wrench to gain access to the weight cartridge system/area. The tightness is important so it needs to be locked in with a tool. But some player's might not have an allen wrench set.

BeCue is also going to make this correction in the second generation of the Leonardo Balance System - which will come with an ergonomic tool that the player can utilize.

I am also looking forward to the butt extension and break cue products that will be released in the future. This company is trying new things and that is great for us!

I understand that they will have a booth at this year's super billiards expo - please stop by and give these guys a tip of your hat and try one of their cues. It's a new and evolving experience to the sport and it's nice to see it happen.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The review is well done. Excellent.

But I see a contradiction.

The "lack of vibration" which I prefer to call resonance makes the cue sound as if it is dull, perhaps even numb, yet it is described as solid.

Admittedly the review says this is a completely new experience. So some new understanding may be necessary.

When or how did such resonance become "bad"?

Cuemakers, experts in their trade, and sometimes expert players themselves, have been known to manipulate that resonance when constructing the cue. It's part of how they get the feel, or feedback, or hit they are looking for. Some have described it quite nicely. Never have I heard one say he was trying to eliminate it.

What am I missing?

Kimmo H.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you for a great review! Hopefully Becue cathches on and provides customisation options in the future. They are off to a good start it seeems :wink:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
The review is well done. Excellent.

But I see a contradiction.

The "lack of vibration" which I prefer to call resonance makes the cue sound as if it is dull, perhaps even numb, yet it is described as solid.

Admittedly the review says this is a completely new experience. So some new understanding may be necessary.

When or how did such resonance become "bad"?

Cuemakers, experts in their trade, and sometimes expert players themselves, have been known to manipulate that resonance when constructing the cue. It's part of how they get the feel, or feedback, or hit they are looking for. Some have described it quite nicely. Never have I heard one say he was trying to eliminate it.

What am I missing?

I am holding up on my review while I work with the cue and tweak it a bit. The good things exceed the negative in my opinion.

I will say it does not have the same kind of feedback as a wooden cue. Please understand that this cue is something entirely different than what we are used to, so it is difficult to describe. It's a cue made up of completely synthetic materials laminated around a mold and finished to appear like a conventional wooden pool cue. There are no lathes, no wood, no sanding. It is hollow throughout, filled with foam to deaden the sound and the shaft is painted.

That being said, the cue is extremely consistent in off center hits. As far as feel, this is the lowest variation on feedback from shot to shot I've experienced. An English shot feels and sounds pretty much like a center ball shot. Follow feels and sounds like draw and vice versa. The cue penetrates the space of the cue ball better than any cue I've played with. There is zero feeling of glancing off the cue ball yet it does not seem tip heavy. All this may sounds odd - but it's very odd to me as well. The feel or feedback will come from the visual results of the shot because all shots tend to feel the same. That being said, there are no big surprises either. It is the most what-you-shoot-is-what-you-get cue I've ever played with.

I'm no pro but I have a respectable Fargorate of 622. I'm looking to increase that. I believe this cue could help eliminate errors that stem from cue inconsistencies and limitations. I can tell you already that there are some position shots I am comfortable with that I don't like to play with my current LD shaft.

Last edited:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Tate.

As I suspected there are aspects of this cue that are so outside the box as to defy explanation in traditional terms. I think you did a pretty good job though.

That consistency and lack of vibration is interesting.

Perhaps we can call it tranparency? It sounds like the cue does everything it can to stay out of attention. That leaves only the result to judge as you say.

I wanted to think "numb" but now I'll think "transparent".