2017 World Snooker (Free Facebook Live Broadcast)

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Selby is two shots away from.....

Mark Selby is the 2017 World Snooker Champion

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is it me or does it seem like the crowds the whole way through weren't exactly backing Selby? Even in the match against Ding.

smashmouth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Selby's been the number one snooker monster for a couple years now, the Ding match took a lot out of him but he recovered amazingly

he's about the same age as Ronnie was when he won his third world title so who knows how far he can go plus he dabbles in pool which is pretty awesome too

I can see him and Ding competing hard for the next 5 titles

Selby in my mind is now one of the all time greatest, his overall game is the strongest I've ever seen, and Ding has surpassed Jimmy White as the greatest to never win a world title

note to students, Ding's technique is pure textbook form and the pinnacle of a study guide

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is it me or does it seem like the crowds the whole way through weren't exactly backing Selby? Even in the match against Ding.

Selby isn't massively loved over here (in the U.K.)...he is respected, but not loved.

Some say he's too dull...but mainly it's just because he's a winner, Steve Davis and Stephen Hendry (well when he played outside Scotland) had to put up with the same too.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do these guys ever gamble against each other?

What about the amateur level players, they gamble?

Last edited:

Lonestar_jim

Two & Out
Silver Member
The best player won!
Great contrasts between sessions, no ?
I say next year do 6 sessions as a race to 4 or 5. Then have a tie breaker on day 3 as a win by 2 ?
I don't like the long races because players tend to play well in spurts and then cool off. Who knows how Higgins would do on day 3 ?

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Great contrasts between sessions, no ? ...

Selby - Higgins:

• 2 - 6 Sun. afternoon
    5 - 4 Sun. evening
    6 - 1 Mon. afternoon
    5 - 4 Mon. evening

18 - 15

For their 5 matches in this event, their records in frames won and lost:

• Selby: 71 - 41 (63% winning percentage)
    Higgins: 68 - 47 (59%)

smashmouth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

its very rare in snooker amateur and pro and I've spent a good chunk of time in that uk scene

their pool scene might have gambling, unsure though

snooker is like anti-pool, they don't gamble, they strive for good form over lots of practice including lots of drills, could care less about equipment,

Lonestar_jim

Two & Out
Silver Member
its very rare in snooker amateur and pro and I've spent a good chunk of time in that uk scene

their pool scene might have gambling, unsure though

snooker is like anti-pool, they don't gamble, they strive for good form over lots of practice including lots of drills, could care less about equipment,
Well so would I (care less about equipment) with my Parris shining on the green.

Are you saying they play with Chinese ash in the clubs there ?

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

Very little gambling at any billiard game in the UK. Quite a bit in Thailand though and I suspect they will gamble in China as well. They were gambling at Pool when I was over there. Plain and simple explanation - Asians like to gamble at everything!

Lonestar_jim

Two & Out
Silver Member
Selby - Higgins:

• 2 - 6 Sun. afternoon
    5 - 4 Sun. evening
    6 - 1 Mon. afternoon
    5 - 4 Mon. evening

18 - 15

For their 5 matches in this event, their records in frames won and lost:

• Selby: 71 - 41 (63% winning percentage)
    Higgins: 68 - 47 (59%)
If I knew your Paypal essentials I would send you some jelly.

Ladies and gentlemen let's all give a sincere thank you to AtLarge for his dedication to the stats in all things billiard !

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
If I knew your Paypal essentials I would send you some jelly.

Ladies and gentlemen let's all give a sincere thank you to AtLarge for his dedication to the stats in all things billiard !

I agree.....if His AtLargeness didn't keep us updated....there would be a lot more threads
where people would be asking 'What the hell happened?" :confused::scratchhead::shrug:

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
note to students, Ding's technique is pure textbook form and the pinnacle of a study guide

I've always considered his and Higgins' (John) to be the most textbook of any professional.

The physical is the easy part to learn. I want to know how to have the mental game of Selby. Rock solid.

smashmouth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well so would I (care less about equipment) with my Parris shining on the green.

Are you saying they play with Chinese ash in the clubs there ?

they play with alot of junk, parris cues are not considered anywhere near top of the line, thai cues were all the rage a few years ago, hendry and ebdon won world titles with junky warped cues and tips