Calcutta Payout

crav'in action

Registered
I've known the guy 27 years.....the guy who they are posting about would never dump as far as I know.

They've kind of gone off topic Che. My original question was, should we be expected to give him part of our winnings after he bought half of himself and collected the 1st place cash for the tournament?

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
They've kind of gone off topic Che. My original question was, should we be expected to give him part of our winnings after he bought half of himself and collected the 1st place cash for the tournament?

I'd buy him a beer or dinner, but we're chopping the Calcutta and that's enough

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Not that it matters to you anymore, but a consequence of failing to tip him might be that your money making opportunities involving him have been eliminated.

And that is neither a good nor a bad thing, at this point.

crav'in action

Registered
I've known him for at least that long and was really shocked when I read his post on FB. I'm not really sure how this post turned into a conversation about dumping.That's not the issue. I just wanted to get some input as to whether "Tipping" him is the standard procedure or just HIS IDEA.

jojopiff

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've known him for at least that long and was really shocked when I read his post on FB. I'm not really sure how this post turned into a conversation about dumping.That's not the issue. I just wanted to get some input as to whether "Tipping" him is the standard procedure or just HIS IDEA.

Snowball effect. Many have said no tipping necessary and those on the side of tipping have hinted at if you don't tip then maybe next time he'll dump on you.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Snowball effect. Many have said no tipping necessary and those on the side of tipping have hinted at if you don't tip then maybe next time he'll dump on you.

But lets get off 'dump'. These horses need the money, so i asay it would be unlikely they would earn less for placing just to spite the calcutta buyer.

As i said, there would be a strong possibiliyt that.failure to massage the horse would change future associations.

jojopiff

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But lets get off 'dump'. These horses need the money, so i asay it would be unlikely they would earn less for placing just to spite the calcutta buyer.

As i said, there would be a strong possibiliyt that.failure to massage the horse would change future associations.

Agree to strongly disagree.

chemrvos1972

Registered

Well I actually disagree about tipping being expected, jellying up is a nice gesture, but by no means required, just my opinion though..........I've hit Cacutta money many times and only until recently have I received any jelly(twice in life)....Just hate the dumping word being spouted around when we both know that's not what he's about, but I do realize many players make deals.....I've seen them package road dogs together in calcutta's to stop this.

chemrvos1972

Registered
Well I actually disagree about tipping being expected, jellying up is a nice gesture, but by no means required, just my opinion though..........I've hit Cacutta money many times and only until recently have I received any jelly(twice in life)....Just hate the dumping word being spouted around when we both know that's not what he's about, but I do realize many players make deals.....I've seen them package road dogs together in calcutta's to stop this.

I would like to mention I usually jelly 20% when I bet the rail and maybe 10% on calcutta, but I usually don't mess with calcuttas to much besides myself, but that's just me.

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you frequent the same Tourney/Calcutta with the same players, I think a little jelly would go a long way. Players often split. I'd hate to sweat a shit show of a match to take home second place Calcutta money, that I split with a friend, because my horse no longer cared if he won. Not "dumped", just didn't care.

So, my answer to the OP is, if you frequent that Tourney/Calcutta, tip is expected.

crav'in action

Registered

I appreciate you sharing your opinion. That was my purpose for this thread. I just want to get some thoughts on this subject, other than his and mine. Like I said,we're not best buddies or anything but I've been playing pool with this guy for almost 30 yrs and quite a bit of golf too. It really irritated me to see him calling my buddy and I " a couple of nits" for not giving him some of our share.

crav'in action

Registered
If you frequent the same Tourney/Calcutta with the same players, I think a little jelly would go a long way. Players often split. I'd hate to sweat a shit show of a match to take home second place Calcutta money, that I split with a friend, because my horse no longer cared if he won. Not "dumped", just didn't care.

So, my answer to the OP is, if you frequent that Tourney/Calcutta, tip is expected.

First off, I would never bet on someone that didn't care if he won. That is certainly not the case with this guy. I will never question his skill at the table nor his heart and will to win. He never gives up. We just disagree on the tipping issue and how you treat friends. 1st time I've ever been a Calcutta in this bar.

chemrvos1972

Registered
Would you jelly up 20% of your share of a rail bet if he got in on half of the action?

For the most part yes I would, let me give you an example. I was down in the cape and a couple guys were getting ready to play a 5k set, so I bet 200 on the rail. The player I bet on was getting staked so he woulda won about 2.5k I think.....he still gets 40 jelly from me. I guess part of it is people have treated me really well in the pool world for the most part and it just feels right....but had I lost the last 4 times I bet on the guy or something, he gets air, but I remind him of my losses. The reason I jelly more on rail bets is I feel I get better value in making good rail bets, calcuttas are tough, either have to unload on the good players or find a dark horse/sneak up player. Once again I don't think jelly should be expected or madatory though imo.

bazkook

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In regards to the OP, I think it was greedy of the player to expect more than his half of the calcutta prize, especially if it happened to be a good chunk of change and he was just a local or even regional player with little or no travel expenses. It was even lower of him to complain about it on social media instead of bringing it up when the prize money was dispersed. If he bought his half of the calcutta, he is not automatically entitled to any more. If I were the OP and he had discussed a "tip" while the money was being chopped up, I might have tossed him something extra or paid his bar tab for the night. Since the guy took to social media the OP should comment on the guy's post to explain his side of the story. I would not buy the guy again in the calcutta even if he were the best player in the room taking his actions into account.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree that termination of the betting relationship just mihht be a good thing for the op.

In regards to the OP, I think it was greedy of the player to expect more than his half of the calcutta prize, especially if it happened to be a good chunk of change and he was just a local or even regional player with little or no travel expenses. It was even lower of him to complain about it on social media instead of bringing it up when the prize money was dispersed. If he bought his half of the calcutta, he is not automatically entitled to any more. If I were the OP and he had discussed a "tip" while the money was being chopped up, I might have tossed him something extra or paid his bar tab for the night. Since the guy took to social media the OP should comment on the guy's post to explain his side of the story. I would not buy the guy again in the calcutta even if he were the best player in the room taking his actions into account.