Calcutta Payout

crav'in action

Registered
For the most part yes I would, let me give you an example. I was down in the cape and a couple guys were getting ready to play a 5k set, so I bet 200 on the rail. The player I bet on was getting staked so he woulda won about 2.5k I think.....he still gets 40 jelly from me. I guess part of it is people have treated me really well in the pool world for the most part and it just feels right....but had I lost the last 4 times I bet on the guy or something, he gets air, but I remind him of my losses. The reason I jelly more on rail bets is I feel I get better value in making good rail bets, calcuttas are tough, either have to unload on the good players or find a dark horse/sneak up player. Once again I don't think jelly should be expected or madatory though imo.

I think you might have missed the part where I said, "if he takes half the action on your Rail Bet". From what you described above, you would end up with $60.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They've kind of gone off topic Che. My original question was, should we be expected to give him part of our winnings after he bought half of himself and collected the 1st place cash for the tournament?

Yes you should. Given his rep as a good guy and knowing he will play hard no matter what should be enough for a little reward. Not to mention he's a great person for tournaments to have at the venue. He drinks beer buys food and totally supports the establishment.

chemrvos1972

Registered
I think you might have missed the part where I said, "if he takes half the action on your Rail Bet". From what you described above, you would end up with $60.

Pretty sure I understand, In that case the player has 5k in the middle 100 on the rail and I have 100 on the rail not 200....so he would get 20 jelly...pretty simple.

crav'in action

Registered
No he didn't. No names were mentioned in the FB post

Since he was one of the top 2 players in the tournament, don't you think everyone playing knew who bought him? In addition, unless I wanted to sit by and let him bash me on FB, as soon as I responded, everyone knew my name. Do you feel that it would be unethical of me to post a link to this thread on his FB post in my defense?

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Since he was one of the top 2 players in the tournament, don't you think everyone playing knew who bought him? In addition, unless I wanted to sit by and let him bash me on FB, as soon as I responded, everyone knew my name. Do you feel that it would be unethical of me to post a link to this thread on his FB post in my defense?
He went ahead and made it public already, how is it unethical to share a public post?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

There are so many opinions here that you would be neither supported nor unsupported, sorry to say.

That's the problem with/ benefit of a large group.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Unethical? of course not. But it wouldn't prove anything either. You should let it go and hopefully most people won't remember you for being nitty.
PS for the record the FB post was just like this one, posted with no names for discussion purposes only.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is not the nature of the relationship.
One party is a player, the other is the investor.
Absolutely correct.
Therefore, as the investor/gambler in a calcutta I owe the player zero.
Just as I owe a baseball player nothing if I win when laying the common 4-1 bet on the flyball to the outfield.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Absolutely correct.
Therefore, as the investor/gambler in a calcutta I owe the player zero.
Just as I owe a baseball player nothing if I win when laying the common 4-1 bet on the flyball to the outfield.

Except you aren't standing in the outfield rooting the player on. But you are sitting in the bar being friendly and all But the guy a few beers.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Only my opinion...nothing more.

Except you aren't standing in the outfield rooting the player on. But you are sitting in the bar being friendly and all But the guy a few beers.
I'm getting off topic here, forgive me, but I did not clarify baseball gambling. Maybe you're not familiar with it.
It takes place at the ballpark and not in a bar....well, I guess someone could book the action while watching television. But the excitement of being in the bleachers in the open air sunshine with the peanuts, hot dogs, beer, cheering, and thousands of dollars worth of action with money changing hands is hard to beat. (as long as the police or a 'goody goody' aren't around, naturally....)
4-1 on the flyball, 6-5 on a 'skinner', 3-2 on next pitch, 14-1 on the HR.
I owe the player out there in left field nothing when he catches that fly ball.
I owe the batter nothing if he fouls 'em off.
I owe Willie Stargell nothing when he used to put one into the nearest cloud.
I owe Shane Van B. nothing if he crushes the opponent and beats the line on the opponent "don't 7 or don't 8".
That's what I mean about the Calcutta payout stuff. Giving out "Jelly" is for those who feel guilty about winning a bad percentage bet (and that's what a Calcutta really is...a bad bet. But I play 'em anyway)
Just my opinion about it all, pardner.
Keep on truckin'.
:thumbup:

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm getting off topic here, forgive me, but I did not clarify baseball gambling. Maybe you're not familiar with it.
It takes place at the ballpark and not in a bar....well, I guess someone could book the action while watching television. But the excitement of being in the bleachers in the open air sunshine with the peanuts, hot dogs, beer, cheering, and thousands of dollars worth of action with money changing hands is hard to beat. (as long as the police or a 'goody goody' aren't around, naturally....)
4-1 on the flyball, 6-5 on a 'skinner', 3-2 on next pitch, 14-1 on the HR.
I owe the player out there in left field nothing when he catches that fly ball.
I owe the batter nothing if he fouls 'em off.
I owe Willie Stargell nothing when he used to put one into the nearest cloud.
I owe Shane Van B. nothing if he crushes the opponent and beats the line on the opponent "don't 7 or don't 8".
That's what I mean about the Calcutta payout stuff. Giving out "Jelly" is for those who feel guilty about winning a bad percentage bet (and that's what a Calcutta really is...a bad bet. But I play 'em anyway)
Just my opinion about it all, pardner.
Keep on truckin'.

Actually you clarified nothing. You are talking about 2 different things. In a calcutta you are actually partners with your horse. Keep your horse happy is the safe bet. The calcutta wasn't a bad percentage bet in this case, player in question was a lock to get in the calcutta money. And he not only got in the money, he won it all. Show some respect and love for his hard honest work, he earned it.

JumpinJoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The player has this bad mentality that they are entitled to 10%, it's a joke.
I've spent thousands in calcuttas in the south where they are the biggest.
There have every right to buy half or less from the outset, if they do that I'm more entitled to throw them an extra jelly. But the notion they are "entitled" is crazy.

I've only not tipped one guy ever, and it's because I know they were doing funny shit, I had em both, they were together, they bought half of one, go figure.

I've also seen some "suspected" stuff almost identical at white diamonds before, but they fixed that issue with said players.

us820

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually you clarified nothing. You are talking about 2 different things. In a calcutta you are actually partners with your horse. Keep your horse happy is the safe bet. The calcutta wasn't a bad percentage bet in this case, player in question was a lock to get in the calcutta money. And he not only got in the money, he won it all. Show some respect and love for his hard honest work, he earned it.

He was such a lock that everybody else in the room thought bidding more was too much.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess we just don't see eye to eye on this and no amount of conversation will change our differences on it. That's okay with me....differences of opinion and all that.
I'd like to state that I am partners in a Calcutta with NOBODY. I'm the one taking the risk.....not the shooter, he has his own agenda to fulfill.
He deserves zero from me if he wins......unless he agrees ahead of time to pay back to me half of what I lost by choosing him (if he doesn't finish in the money)
And...there is no such thing as a "lock" when gambling in a pool room.
There's always business or pressure here and there.
I've seen too many champions miss a three foot straight-in at the most opportune moment. I saw Alex with ball in hand on the 8 and couldn't get out with the 9 ball at the other end a foot from the hole. And his recent pooching of the 9 ball in that tourney final match against Shaw was something to behold. I saw Mizerak straight-in on the out ball once and he miscued.
There are no "locks".
But I have no gripes about all that, it goes with the territory.......we have to remember this is THE BUSINESS WE HAVE CHOSEN.
Keep on truckin' and good luck to you....
:thumbup:.
[/I]

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But do you understand that approach might compromise future earning potential?

Your position is kinda shortsighted...not that there is anything inherently wrong with either way of aplroaching the matter.
I guess we just don't see eye to eye on this and no amount of conversation will change our differences on it. That's okay with me....differences of opinion and all that.
I'd like to state that I am partners in a Calcutta with NOBODY. I'm the one taking the risk.....not the shooter, he has his own agenda to fulfill.
He deserves zero from me if he wins......unless he agrees ahead of time to pay back to me half of what I lost by choosing him (if he doesn't finish in the money)
And...there is no such thing as a "lock" when gambling in a pool room.
There's always business or pressure here and there.
I've seen too many champions miss a three foot straight-in at the most opportune moment. I saw Alex with ball in hand on the 8 and couldn't get out with the 9 ball at the other end a foot from the hole. And his recent pooching of the 9 ball in that tourney final match against Shaw was something to behold. I saw Mizerak straight-in on the out ball once and he miscued.
There are no "locks".
But I have no gripes about all that, it goes with the territory.......we have to remember this is THE BUSINESS WE HAVE CHOSEN.
Keep on truckin' and good luck to you....
:thumbup:.
[/I]

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He was such a lock that everybody else in the room thought bidding more was too much.

Possibly...but definotely, our dude here was the high bidder.

You dont know how much competition there was in the bidding for the player.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But do you understand that approach might compromise future earning potential?
Your position is kinda shortsighted...not that there is anything inherently wrong with either way of approaching the matter.
Interesting.
Can you explain how it might compromise future earning potential?
What's the guy going to do? Shoot badly or semi-dump if he finds out I have him in a calcutta somewhere? :eek:
Is he going to refuse to play because he notices that nit Low500, who won't toss jelly, has him in the calcutta?
(His backers and the rail bettors will just luv that one, right?)
Your turn.........

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting.
Can you explain how it might compromise future earning potential?
What's the guy going to do? Shoot badly or semi-dump if he finds out I have him in a calcutta somewhere? :eek:
Is he going to refuse to play because he notices that nit Low500, who won't toss jelly, has him in the calcutta?
(His backers and the rail bettors will just luv that one, right?)
Your turn.........

In a perfect world you are right buddy. But if you're putting a lapse in integrity past a gambler, you are being naive.