Last Three Mosconi Cup Points Tournaments.

fat Albert

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why have Mosconi Cup Points tournaments if the Team is chosen before the last three Tournaments.!

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why have Mosconi Cup Points tournaments if the Team is chosen before the last three Tournaments.!
Not sure what you heard about this,but i got some info from a very reliable source that the players for Team USA were notified about their selection about two weeks ago.

I am not 100% up to date on the points but i guess the players chosen were all locks to make the top ten and the captain had made up his mind who his picks were going to be.

I do feel like it was not really fair if it's true to the other players still thinking they had a shot and playing the last three events trying to make the team.

Last edited:

fat Albert

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your info is I believe accurate except the last three Mosconi Points Tournaments allowed for a couple of Players on the bubble to conflict with points standing. Also the pre selection caused a few top players to pass on the events . My point again, why have Mosconi points Tournament if selection occurs prior to conclusion when the points total at that point was not a given

barrymuch90

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
not sure what you heard about this,but i got some info from a very reliable source that the players for team usa were notified about their selection about two weeks ago.

I am not 100% up to date on the points but i guess the players chosen were all locks to make the top ten and the captain had made up his mind who his picks were going to be.

I do feel like it was not really fair if it's true to the other players still thinking they had a shot and playing the last three events trying to make the team.

well who are the players?!?!?

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your info is I believe accurate except the last three Mosconi Points Tournaments allowed for a couple of Players on the bubble to conflict with points standing. Also the pre selection caused a few top players to pass on the events . My point again, why have Mosconi points Tournament if selection occurs prior to conclusion when the points total at that point was not a given
I think this selection process is flawed anyway if your going to use a points system for qualification use it the players with top points should make the team period.

They played the events put in the time and effort to earn the points i think guys with top points should be in, but that's just my personal opinion.

But it is Matchroom's event they own it put up the cash and have the right to run it the way they think is best.

Good luck to Team USA this year i hope they play their best.

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think this selection process is flawed anyway if your going to use a points system for qualification use it the players with top points should make the team period.

They played the events put in the time and effort to earn the points i think guys with top points should be in, but that's just my personal opinion.

But it is Matchroom's event they own it put up the cash and have the right to run it the way they think is best.

True. It seems Matchroom has the last word on who gets on the team.
I think the "points race" we hold is merely for the fans anymore.

JayTS

Certified Donator
Silver Member
Another good question is why is an event considered a "Mosconi Cup Points Event" if the event is NOT 9 Ball racked high withe the 9 on the SPOT? This bartable 8 ball/10 ball Mosconi Cup Points events are the exact reason why we can't win anymore against Europe. They consistantly play with WPA break rule and rack the 9 on the spot in 90% of their events. We are lucky to find one event with similar rules that is a points event. What a joke.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure what you heard about this,but i got some info from a very reliable source that the players for Team USA were notified about their selection about two weeks ago.

That's unfortunate.

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another good question is why is an event considered a "Mosconi Cup Points Event" if the event is NOT 9 Ball racked high withe the 9 on the SPOT? This bartable 8 ball/10 ball Mosconi Cup Points events are the exact reason why we can't win anymore against Europe. They consistantly play with WPA break rule and rack the 9 on the spot in 90% of their events. We are lucky to find one event with similar rules that is a points event. What a joke.
At least no bar table events were used this year for qualification events.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

There aren't any bar table events for Mosconi Cup this year. There are some 10-ball and several 8-ball events, but they're all on 9-foot tables.

But the problem isn't which events are Mosconi Points events, the problem is the lack of tournaments altogether. It's not like there are all these pro 9-ball tournaments with $x,000 added just waiting to get on the points list, but Matchroom isn't picking them. The problem is that there isn't a pro pool tour.

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member
So, what happens if more than one of the current picks drops off the top 10...?
I'm not saying it will happen, but holy hell, it is possible. That may very well explain why Sky and Bergy were at the Texas open this last week.:shrug:

Johan has only 1 pick outside the top 10.

It's very strange.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

It would not bother me a bit if the team consisted of the top 5 on the points list, for the reason you indicate in your second paragraph. Of course, we'd have to wait for all the points events to be played before knowing who the top 5 are, as movement on that list was certainly possible with 3 events remaining. Which means, I guess, that Johan felt differently (if the team was picked before the final 3 events).

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Does anyone know what the current point standings are....?

I could give you a list, but I don't know if it is accurate. The Coates event is listed by Matchroom as "Grade One," but it looks like they paid only 16 places rather than 32. So the points could be adjusted (reduced) for some of those positions; that has happened in the past.

But it's clear that Bergman did not pick up enough points in the Texas Open to move into the top 10.

I think the top 9 from Matchroom's list after the Markulis event are still the top 9, although the order has been scrambled a bit, with Oscar dropping. I have Shuff in 10th place, with Roberts dropping below that (and below Archer, Strickland, Bergman, and Wilkie).

Last edited:

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member
I could give you a list, but I don't know if it is accurate. The Coates event is listed by Matchroom as "Grade One," but it looks like they paid only 16 places rather than 32. So the points could be adjusted (reduced) for some of those positions; that has happened in the past.

But it's clear that Bergman did not pick up enough points in the Texas Open to move into the top 10.

I think the top 9 from Matchroom's list after the Markulis event are still the top 9, although the order has been scrambled a bit, with Oscar dropping. I have Shuff in 10th place, with Roberts dropping below that (and below Archer, Strickland, Bergman, and Wilkie).

Thanks buddy. I was wondering mainly about Oscar, Shuff, and Josh. It's all moot at this point, but this has to put a sour taste in more than a couple of these players mouths.

There's a new Barry in town, I guess......

barrymuch90

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh, he's right. I just want to see the possibilities. Matchroom hasn't updated the list for 3 weeks now......hmmmm.

If they went off this list meaning he picked off the top 10 with the Unupdated list currently on match room I'm guessing they're going w the top 5
Shane
Oscar
Dennis
Rodney
Sky
That's not the exact order just the top 5 n as others have stated it wouldn't bother me using this however Billy was 6th at the time n wouldn't mind him taking Dennis or Rodney's place to get more young guns on the team

barrymuch90

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've seen 2 list one had Donny 9/10th the other had him 11th n his two third place finishes were after they apparently picked so I assume he didn't make the cut. Had Johan waited he might of strongly considered Donny.