Justin Bergman--Mosconi Cup

gesan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just want the players that give the us the best chance to win. I'm sure there are as many opinions relative to which players they are as there are - dare I say it?

We know Justin Bergman has handled the pressure and performed as well if not better then any players that have had the opportunity in recent years.

Many of the others mentioned we can only guess about. If winning is the result we are looking for, it would seem to some that going with what we know versus what we don't know might be the best choice.

If we choose players based upon who can afford to travel around the world without concern for cost versus winning or losing then there is a fair chance that's the kinda players we are gonna get.

I have no dog in this 9 ball tournament but I'm sick of watching the those childish euro fans and listening to their idiotic bs

I want to watch childish us fans and listen to idiotic us bs for a change!

If winning is the objective there are others that it would make more sense to replace.

IMHO

Just saying Scottie P

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Barry Much, thank you I appreciate it... Yeah I really want to play but I understand if they don't and I'll still root for USA I think we have the talent to win. I think our best players are really close to Europes best but I think Europe has more of them. I would say we only have like 8-10 players that could win and they have 25-30. Asia probably has 100 lol.

I could see where people don't think I deserve it but honestly if I had to do it again i would not travel from California, to Oregon, then North Carolina, then to Texas, then to New York. Some of those are worth going to and you have to spend $2,500 to make $6,000. Some are spend $2,500 to win maybe $2,500. I always put my own money in tournaments, well about 95 percent of the time if I have it. I do get staked to play like $20,000 sets and up but if I can bet my own I will. I don't have a sponsor that pays my travel if I had that I would go to every event. Most people even ones that follow pool still don't realize I think US pool culture is more gambling and I think that's where our best players are gamblers. If pool tournaments paid $30,000 for first and maybe $3,000 for top 10 you would see a lot different names winning tournaments. Especially these tournaments rack your own 9 ball, bar table, race to 7. When I was young I was always told real pool players gamble and suckers play tournaments... I wish it were different but that's how it is in the U.S. I try to do both but until they pay a little better I'm not traveling every weekend to play races to 7 to win $1,000.

This is the truth, sad to say. I noticed it a long time ago when I was going to two, three, and four pool tournaments a month. You must come in first, second, or third place at most events to break even. And you're so stuck from the other tournaments as far as costs if you did not come in first, second, or third in those events that your money is always in the red. You never get ahead. Never!

We racked up $100,000 in debt within 4 or 5 years of following the tournament trail in pool. And that was just going to American events, and we won quite often in the weekend regional tours. It still was not enough to cover expenses.

As far as gambling goes, if Saint Shane -- (and I love Shane, so no offense meant here) --- steps in the pit for a challenge match with Earl or Dennis or anyone, nobody utters a peep. If another player steps in the pit for a gambling match, the pool public castigates them as no good, as if gambling raises its ugly head once again.

Like it or not, gambling has always been an American attraction in pool and many other sports. That's what Vegas is all about : Gambling! People enjoy it. In pool those who can't play a lick or run three balls but love the game, they like sweating matches and invest a little on the side. It makes it fun, just like in Vegas.

The Asians love to gamble, big time. If the blue-blooded European robots and their pool purist followers don't like gambling, too bad. And that goes for the rest of the world. Tough!

Pool is a rich man's high today if you're a good player. Only one or two out of a hundred can eke out a living or make ends meet. For all others, it's a downward spiral financially -- and, sad to say, emotionally devastating when the realization kicks in that pool may be the worst choice one will ever make in their life if they seek out a career in pool.

My advice to Justin -- coming from an old lady -- is to pursue a non-pool-related career while you're young and make that your number one priority. Still play pool and do what you enjoy. Playing pool and competing part-time with a roof over your head and making ends meet is much more rewarding than growing old and having this pool forum and others ridicule you when you can't run a rack anymore. Do you know how many pool fans and friends will be by your side if you get sick or go broke? A big fat goose egg. When you need a friend the most, you will find out how fickle the pool world is. I can cite examples, but I don't out of respect for the players.

I'm sorry Justice did not get selected, but maybe, just maybe, it's a divine calling for him to get his priorities in life in order. Don't put all your money "on the come" in pool.

Last edited:

Dave714

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe 1st thru 4th you're staying out of the red. Maybe 5th thru 8th you are losing money after expenses depending how big the tournament is. Unless its the Houston Open where they paid up to 24th with a 76 player field. Stupidest thing I ever saw, when they should have pd. 1-12. Cost John Morra 2k a couple of weeks ago.

Last edited:

frankncali

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He put the coach in an impossible position.

Yes, I know it's tough to make out chasing MC points. However, how in the world can the coach reward a player not willing to chase the points?!

If you do, you end up creating a situation where players just lay back on their rep instead of competing.

Frankly, I want the guy hungry enough to chase the points at all costs. I mean, if you're a pro pool player, unless you've been studying to be a brain surgeon in your off time, what else are you aspiring to?

Lou Figueroa

The whole point of the coachs pick is to pick without a consideration to points. There is not a pro tour nor any money in pool. If a coach doesnt believe in picking the best for his team to win then its a sham.
I dont know who should be on there but in looking at past performances it would have been hard for me to choose against JB.

Truthfully maybe he should be get a couple extra points for not stupidly wasting money chasing points. Sponsors arent beating down players doors and prize purses are not a lot compared to expenses.

Out of all the guys that I saw that were mentioned as being in contention to make the team I think Donny Mills would have been in the top 2 to show up prepared.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The whole point of the coachs pick is to pick without a consideration to points. There is not a pro tour nor any money in pool. If a coach doesnt believe in picking the best for his team to win then its a sham.
I dont know who should be on there but in looking at past performances it would have been hard for me to choose against JB.

Truthfully maybe he should be get a couple extra points for not stupidly wasting money chasing points. Sponsors arent beating down players doors and prize purses are not a lot compared to expenses.

Out of all the guys that I saw that were mentioned as being in contention to make the team I think Donny Mills would have been in the top 2 to show up prepared.

I understand not accumulating enough points. What I don't understand is not having enough want-to to at least try and get sufficient points to qualify for one of the sport's premier showcases.

If I'm the coach I want guys with the desire and who have expended the effort and have been in open competition.

There are few endeavors in life where resting on your laurels proves a rewarding strategy.

Lou Figueroa

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is the truth, sad to say. I noticed it a long time ago when I was going to two, three, and four pool tournaments a month. You must come in first, second, or third place at most events to break even. And you're so stuck from the other tournaments as far as costs if you did not come in first, second, or third in those events that your money is always in the red. You never get ahead. Never!

We racked up $100,000 in debt within 4 or 5 years of following the tournament trail in pool. And that was just going to American events, and we won quite often in the weekend regional tours. It still was not enough to cover expenses.

As far as gambling goes, if Saint Shane -- (and I love Shane, so no offense meant here) --- steps in the pit for a challenge match with Earl or Dennis or anyone, nobody utters a peep. If another player steps in the pit for a gambling match, the pool public castigates them as no good, as if gambling raises its ugly head once again.

Like it or not, gambling has always been an American attraction in pool and many other sports. That's what Vegas is all about : Gambling! People enjoy it. In pool those who can't play a lick or run three balls but love the game, they like sweating matches and invest a little on the side. It makes it fun, just like in Vegas.

The Asians love to gamble, big time. If the blue-blooded European robots and their pool purist followers don't like gambling, too bad. And that goes for the rest of the world. Tough!

Pool is a rich man's high today if you're a good player. Only one or two out of a hundred can eke out a living or make ends meet. For all others, it's a downward spiral financially -- and, sad to say, emotionally devastating when the realization kicks in that pool may be the worst choice one will ever make in their life if they seek out a career in pool.

My advice to Justin -- coming from an old lady -- is to pursue a non-pool-related career while you're young and make that your number one priority. Still play pool and do what you enjoy. Playing pool and competing part-time with a roof over your head and making ends meet is much more rewarding than growing old and having this pool forum and others ridicule you when you can't run a rack anymore. Do you know how many pool fans and friends will be by your side if you get sick or go broke? A big fat goose egg. When you need a friend the most, you will find out how fickle the pool world is. I can cite examples, but I don't out of respect for the players.

I'm sorry Justice did not get selected, but maybe, just maybe, it's a divine calling for him to get his priorities in life in order. Don't put all your money "on the come" in pool.

All anyone needs to do is look at Donny Mills for a template how to do both , he's playing top level pool and works a full time job ,, it's got to be easier on him mentally to know he doesn't have to win to eat , ya I know the critics will say that might hold him back compared to someone who needs to win to survive I say BS , the less on your mind the better you can play , Think any top pro like Shane's worried about not eating I hardly think so ,,,

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Donny would have been my choice because you have a body of work you can't assume JB is in form pool is just like anything else you have to play to keep in form,

Shannon.spronk

Anybody read this?
Silver Member

Show me the results from this year that showed Justin deserved to be on the team. I am a huge fan of his but it seems he chose not to play the events that would reward him with a pick to be on the team. I am fine with that. It is his decision and his life. I just dont think he should be picked based on his past performances when his more recent performances dont show that he really wanted to be a part of the Mosconi Cup.

I think he is one of the best American players on a consistent basis, so I agree he should be on the team.

However, I'm not sure I agree with the statement that Bergman and Woodward are clearly the 2nd and 3rd best American players. Morris, Oscar, Earl, and Dechaine (when he is playing) all could be in the discussion

I think that it is sad that America does not have at least 20 players that are right at the top (world class players). Sorry if that was off topic.

What about players like Chip Comptan, Joey Grey, and Brandon Shuff (may have mispelled his name). Are they not good enough to be on the team?

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think that it is sad that America does not have at least 20 players that are right at the top (world class players). Sorry if that was off topic.

What about players like Chip Comptan, Joey Grey, and Brandon Shuff (may have mispelled his name). Are they not good enough to be on the team?

Well they may be good enough to be on our team , but when your sizing up the question is are they good enough to be on the euro team since they are the better team , that answer is clearly no ,

Last edited:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Every pool player has their streak in greatness, some longer than others. When they walk into the pool room, the pool enthusiasts and fans flock around them and hang onto their every word, sometimes wanting an autograph or having their photograph taken with the player

People will write about the pool players' almighty wins on pool forums like this and sometimes even in pool's fourth estate, like Billiards Digest. You will be cheered when you walk into the pit at the TV table.

Some pool folk enjoy a little action and offer to stake the player, hoping to win a big score. Dance, dance, pool monkey. Dance for the pool fans. The fans cheer when you win and high-five you everywhere you go, following you around like the Pied Piper. What a great life it is to be loved by all you meet!

Then, as time goes by, you grow old. Your eyes aren't seeing as crisp and clear as they once did, and you can't run packages the way you did in your prime. There are new pool stars on the horizon dancing for the masses, and nobody wants to watch you dance anymore. You grow old, alone, with no support, financially or emotionally. Pool has been your life, and it's all you have ever known.

And then you die, broke, with no money to take care of the funeral expense or cremation or a proper burial. All the hundreds of pool fans and so-called friends from long ago may give you kind words in memory, but when it's time to meet your maker, you are quite alone. Nobody will care anymore, and you wonder what life would have been like if you didn't make pool your number one priority.

One such player, a legend, is Norman Wines. May he rest in eternal peace. A few of us still remember Stormin' Norman, but the rest, quite frankly, don't give a damn about a player who once danced for them on cue, now that he's dead and it's a time of need: https://www.gofundme.com/norman-porky-eugene-wines

Dance, pool monkey, dance! If you get sick, go broke, go to jail (ask Tony), or die, you will find out how many friends you really had. A big fat goose egg!

Last edited:

barrymuch90

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jam idk u personally but I've noticed your posts have gotten dark lately so I hope everything is ok out in the real world. And I know what u say is true to an extent but it doesn't have to be this way. If you have enough ability to make money playing pool then it surely can be ur life and if you are slightly wise with the winnings and live on a budget and get out of that baller lifestyle then I believe it doesn't have to end so nasty. However almost every pool player I know that relies on pool for income isn't smart when it comes to savings. I think most of them have addictions in diff forms be it drugs alchohol gambling etc n I think that is the cause of the money issues more than pool. Obviously there's little money in pool besides the guys at the top but I think if you love pool that much it's ok to pursue a career playing pool but you shouldn't do it if your goal is to make tons of money: if you truly love pool and have talent and are extremely smart with your winnings then at the end of your career it's possible to not be on skid row. But what do I know I'm only 26 and don't rely on pool for income(also I'll admit if there were millions to be made in pool I might have pursued it as a career but at this stage I'm just not good enough to sustain my family's needed income playing pool so as much as I love pool I have a job and a paycheck and then play pool every chance I can. Obviously it's not the best career choice and if money's your ultimate driving force pool should almost never be the choice but my point is for the few exceptions that are talented enough and love pool enough to play everyday it's not fair to tell them it's impossible and will absolutely end in misery.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jam idk u personally but I've noticed your posts have gotten dark lately so I hope everything is ok out in the real world. And I know what u say is true to an extent but it doesn't have to be this way. If you have enough ability to make money playing pool then it surely can be ur life and if you are slightly wise with the winnings and live on a budget and get out of that baller lifestyle then I believe it doesn't have to end so nasty. However almost every pool player I know that relies on pool for income isn't smart when it comes to savings. I think most of them have addictions in diff forms be it drugs alchohol gambling etc n I think that is the cause of the money issues more than pool. Obviously there's little money in pool besides the guys at the top but I think if you love pool that much it's ok to pursue a career playing pool but you shouldn't do it if your goal is to make tons of money: if you truly love pool and have talent and are extremely smart with your winnings then at the end of your career it's possible to not be on skid row. But what do I know I'm only 26 and don't rely on pool for income(also I'll admit if there were millions to be made in pool I might have pursued it as a career but at this stage I'm just not good enough to sustain my family's needed income playing pool so as much as I love pool I have a job and a paycheck and then play pool every chance I can. Obviously it's not the best career choice and if money's your ultimate driving force pool should almost never be the choice but my point is for the few exceptions that are talented enough and love pool enough to play everyday it's not fair to tell them it's impossible and will absolutely end in misery.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I used to be enthusiastic about pool, like you, and loved every minute of it. The best times of my life in pool were when I was shooting on the pool leagues. We had fun. That's what pool used to be for me.

However, on the tournament trail, especially the professional pool tournament trail, when you're competing professionally, the costs far outweigh the rewards. Yes, if you are Shane Van Boening, you can make a living at it, traveling around the world. This is the exception, though, in Americam professional pool, rather than the norm.

Aspiring professional players just cannot afford to attend two, three, and four pool tournaments a month. The costs of travel, lodging, food, living out of a suitcase are much higher than what one can earn in pool tournaments. Even if you, say, pocket $10,000 for first place in a tournament, the previous 10 tournaments where you didn't cash or make expenses, this $10,000 covers those expenses. You're not ahead. There's no money to invest. This is my point.

Yes, Shane and very few others do eke out a living. Oscar Dominguez runs a regional pool tour to supplement his pool income. Tony Chohan sells T-shirts and has cue stick raffles to supplement his pool income.

Another side effect of pool which is problematic is not many females can adapt to the male pool player lifestyle, especially if they have family, children to take care of. When the player is on the road attending tournaments on a frequent basis, they sometimes are away from home more than they are at home. This takes a toll on any relationship. I know of several players who have multiple children by three or more women, and they still are not married to any of them. I could elaborate, but I'll save that for another thread.

My advice to anyone who wants to shoot pool in 2017 and be the best that they can be is to do so, but don't make it your livelihood or career. Get a job. Go to school. Shoot pool as a hobby like you would touch football on weekends or once-a-week bowling leagues. Professional pool is not supported in the United States. It is currently circling the drain. I say these remarks based on my observations of how pool popularity, to include cool pool rooms, have diminished over the last 40 years.

I hope I am wrong and something boost pool to popularity, like NFL, tennis, golf, basketball, baseball. But pool peeps are a very small culture in the scheme of things. Ask somebody on the street who Efren Reyes or Earl Strickland is, and you'll find that 99 percent, with a 1 or 2 percent margin of error, have never heard of them. :embarrassed2:

Last edited:

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
I know for a fact that Earl Strickland, Buddy Hall, Danny Deliberto and other top players from years past are not doing all that well financially and are struggling. If JAM can keep one or two people out of harms way with her cryptic words about pro pool, Don't you think it is worth it for her to take the time and educate the pool community???

Keith McCready is her spouse and one of the most prolific pool players in modern time and her insight on his finances and that of his other PRO pool friends is invaluable. So, please do not discourage her kindness and concern to the people new to the pool community.

No, she is not Miss Cleo and this is not the Psychic Friends Network! Just, some factual reality of historical events that may shed some light on possible future events in the world of pro pool.

KD

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Every pool player has their streak in greatness, some longer than others. When they walk into the pool room, the pool enthusiasts and fans flock around them and hang onto their every word, sometimes wanting an autograph or having their photograph taken with the player

People will write about the pool players' almighty wins on pool forums like this and sometimes even in pool's fourth estate, like Billiards Digest. You will be cheered when you walk into the pit at the TV table.

Some pool folk enjoy a little action and offer to stake the player, hoping to win a big score. Dance, dance, pool monkey. Dance for the pool fans. The fans cheer when you win and high-five you everywhere you go, following you around like the Pied Piper. What a great life it is to be loved by all you meet!

Then, as time goes by, you grow old. Your eyes aren't seeing as crisp and clear as they once did, and you can't run packages the way you did in your prime. There are new pool stars on the horizon dancing for the masses, and nobody wants to watch you dance anymore. You grow old, alone, with no support, financially or emotionally. Pool has been your life, and it's all you have ever known.

And then you die, broke, with no money to take care of the funeral expense or cremation or a proper burial. All the hundreds of pool fans and so-called friends from long ago may give you kind words in memory, but when it's time to meet your maker, you are quite alone. Nobody will care anymore, and you wonder what life would have been like if you didn't make pool your number one priority.

One such player, a legend, is Norman Wines. May he rest in eternal peace. A few of us still remember Stormin' Norman, but the rest, quite frankly, don't give a damn about a player who once danced for them on cue, now that he's dead and it's a time of need: https://www.gofundme.com/norman-porky-eugene-wines

Dance, pool monkey, dance! If you get sick, go broke, go to jail (ask Tony), or die, you will find out how many friends you really had. A big fat goose egg!

Jen,

Think this is one of the best, if not the best, posts I've ever read on AZ. Guess sometimes the truth hurts even when unspoken!

Lyn

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know for a fact that Earl Strickland, Buddy Hall, Danny Deliberto and other top players from years past are not doing all that well financially and are struggling. If JAM can keep one or two people out of harms way with her cryptic words about pro pool, Don't you think it is worth it for her to take the time and educate the pool community???

Keith McCready is her spouse and one of the most prolific pool players in modern time and her insight on his finances and that of his other PRO pool friends is invaluable. So, please do not discourage her kindness and concern to the people new to the pool community.

No, she is not Miss Cleo and this is not the Psychic Friends Network! Just, some factual reality of historical events that may shed some light on possible future events in the world of pro pool.

KD

Thanks, Kid. Truer words have never been spoken about pool.

Kid is a good example of someone who has a strong passion for pool. He has competed professionally as a junior pool player, and make no mistake about it, even today, this kid's got game. He battles it out with top players from Philippines and shows no fear for high stakes.

Yet the Kid has a family and a career. The family is his number one priority, as it should be, and you know what? He's a happy camper, secure in life with a career, and a loving family that surrounds him. This is not the case with many other strong players.

Keith McCready and me, we both complement each other. He is my anchor of strength when times are tough for me, and I will never, ever let anything bad happen to Keith as long as I am alive. His joy in life is infectious, and I feel fortunate to share my heart with him. He will always have pool in his blood. I hope he will be able to continue enjoying it to the fullest, even when he may not feel like he's shooting as well as he once did or if he doesn't cash in a tournament. In order to do that, you have to play every single day, get in combat, and go to two, three, and four tournaments a month. To do that and pay monthly bills like utilities, rent, insurance, food, well, it's impossible for the majority of players, even those who play strong. :frown:

That's my story, and I'm sticking with it. :grin-square:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jen,

Think this is one of the best, if not the best, posts I've ever read on AZ. Guess sometimes the truth hurts even when unspoken!

Lyn

It stings a little to write it, Lyn. My heart is breaking for Stormin' Norman. To think how alone he is right now at death, and all those people who loved him when he was hitting 'em strong, they don't really care about him anymore. :sorry:

frankncali

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Show me the results from this year that showed Justin deserved to be on the team. I am a huge fan of his but it seems he chose not to play the events that would reward him with a pick to be on the team. I am fine with that. It is his decision and his life. I just dont think he should be picked based on his past performances when his more recent performances dont show that he really wanted to be a part of the Mosconi Cup.

Any results you find will never show the desire or lack of desire for anyone to be on a team. You have to ask the individual and I guess its a possibility that the coach did that and found the desire lacking.
You can not look at not going to tournaments as lack of desire. It costs money to travel and go and many times I am amazed that the guys travel like they do. Very tough sport.

OLD NO 9

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
To get back on topic, any present day USA Mosconi Cup team that doesn't have Justin Bergman on it, is not the best team we could send.

Take anyone, including SVB, off that team and put Justin on and it would be a better team.

Before anyone gets the sniffles over what I just said, no I do not think Justin is better than SVB. I just think as a team member and from past performance on that stage Justin would be more valuable. As for the other 4 that made the team Justin beats all 4 of them and just tortures more than one.

It's just my opinion and I very well could be wrong, but I doubt it:D

GO USA, GO USA, GO USA

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member

As painfully true as this is Jen, it certainly isn't exclusive to pool and pool players alone, it isn't every pool players story, and it casts aside the notion that someone might actually enjoy the life of a competitor and the quest for excellence.

Of course there is a cost for chasing your dream. Of course dreams get crushed every day. But don't let that scare you out of doing something you love. Just be smart and don't plan your retirement with scratch off lottery tickets.