Speed Control Tip

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Suggestion: lessons with Randy G and Scott Lee. They teach an analytical method to speed control.

Freddie <~~~ student

Fred,
I've had that. I didn't find that rolling balls down the table helped me in any way, shape, or form to develop speed control. You NEVER even hit a ball with their Mother Drill #5. I've had top - and I mean TOP - pros tell me you simply cant improve speed control unless you actually hit a ball.

r/DCP

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When practicing I just try to play every shot with 100% conviction. Ob here cb here. If all doesnt go as planned, oh well. Reset, next shot. I cant be thinking all this, use this much backstroke, this much speed, whatever. Just visualize and trust in time my brain and hand eye cordination will do it for me.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I started this thread I was hoping for some witticisms and/or some profound comments from top players over the years. Got some people's thoughts and ideas but that's not exactly what I was hoping for. Its all appreciated though.

I'll keep checking this thread. In the meantime I am leaving for the football game. Temp about 40, light rain. Going to be miserable. And I've been sick with a head cold most of the week too. Pneumonia right around the corner.

r/DCP

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You have to take instruction with an open mind Mike...and that's something that you haven't had for decades. Open minds, open doors. Don't let what you absolutely KNOW to be true, get in the way of learning something new. Mother Drill 6 takes what you learn in MD 5 (speed control), and adds it to stop shots, so that you land the OB in the zone. It takes a real quality stroke to do that, even at short distances between CB & OB. You simply just don't know what you don't know.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Fred,
I've had that. I didn't find that rolling balls down the table helped me in any way, shape, or form to develop speed control. You NEVER even hit a ball with their Mother Drill #5. I've had top - and I mean TOP - pros tell me you simply cant improve speed control unless you actually hit a ball.

r/DCP

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Scott, are you doing md 5 drill and md 6 the same session?

What I mean by that is are you training the arm for a given speed then, doing the next drill to add an object ball at a given speed progessively?

Thanks in advance.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes...All mother drills are progressive, in distance and stroke speed. We encourage our students to develop a regimen practicing all 7 mother drills. There's 220 shots in the entire routine. It takes a while until you build your stroke process, and to understand and assimilate the drills. Many students start out needing 2-3 hours to complete the drills, but with time and effort you can get the routine down to 20-30 minutes of disciplined practice.

Scott Lee

Scott, are you doing md 5 drill and md 6 the same session?

What I mean by that is are you training the arm for a given speed then, doing the next drill to add an object ball at a given speed progessively?

Thanks in advance.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
When I started this thread I was hoping for some witticisms and/or some profound comments from top players over the years. Got some people's thoughts and ideas but that's not exactly what I was hoping for. Its all appreciated though.

I'll keep checking this thread. In the meantime I am leaving for the football game. Temp about 40, light rain. Going to be miserable. And I've been sick with a head cold most of the week too. Pneumonia right around the corner.

r/DCP

It's not HOW to control the speed so much as WHEN.

During the SETUP step, you're getting into your stance with the proper aim and all that. Once you're down on the shot and have the aim setup correctly, THEN looking at the cue ball, practice 2 speed strokes to get the speed in your head. Go to Set, then look up at the ob if that's what you do, then shoot. By fine tuning the speed LAST, you'll have it as primary. You don't have to worry about the aim, because you've already established that correctly, so the speed is then your only problem left.

Sense?

Jeff Livingston

SARDiver

JCC Chief
Silver Member
Send your cue forward with the same speed with which you would roll the ball to get it where you want.

Wasn't taught this. Kinda came up with it on my own. Seems to work for me.

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
Sorry, I didn't pull up the drills you are speaking of.

Just set up an easy straight in shot for an object ball. Ob one diamond off pocket, set the cb at least a diamond off ob.

Leave enough room for follow through. So on a seven foot table I find one diamond seperation is not quite enough. The cue ball starts drawing back on the cue stick.

Then use as little power as you can to get the cb to draw back to it's original spot.

It's amazing if you've never done it how little power is required. A full follow through is required though and you'll never get there w out it.

Work on it. When you think your using a low power stroke, go for broke and cut your power by half.

Edit:sorry wrong Scott.

Last edited:

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
I like to shoot a rack or two of banks, helps me quickly figure out speed of table.

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
well, that's dedication, head cold and still working on your game; I'll guess grand kids
are lining it up, only reasonable thing to take a chance on getting pneumonia, you're
going to need that head in good shape to play speed though.

The un pro found way I'm working the speed is with a game that has boundaries
where making the shot is only half of the challenge/requirement to shoot again, any
remaining balls on the table form boundaries to which the cue ball must be within to continue play.
Yes, managing that follow though, push's to the rails with the left, right's around the
center of the cue ball has amazing finishing fun results, having a way to score it, your results, is the game.

a show and tell in the for sale section,
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=460234
couldn't resist... :smile:

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's pretty accurate overall Jeff...especially with how long it's been since we got together. Nice job including the PEP, which is the 'secret weapon'! LOL The real key is in the simplified sentence, "just shoot". What does that mean, exactly? For most players it means pull back and shoot. The problem usually is that the player jerks the transition and pokes the ball, with a tight grip.

For me it's something completely different. It means measuring out your stroke as you get down on the shot line, and settling into your bridge and stance. It means stopping at the CB, after warm up swings, but before you shoot. It means a slow backswing, with some kind of short or long pause at the end of the backswing (which facilitates a smooth transition from backwards to a smooth accelerated forward stroke). It means finishing your swing the same every time, with a relaxed cradle...instead of "following through more". Using a static pendulum swing, the weight of the cue, and timing to create the speed of the stroke. KISS rules! Essentially it's a successful (when applied properly) method of improving everything about your pool game.

I'm not quite sure why Dr. Cues Protege (Mike) can't seem to grasp the concept...but he's heard the same message (pendulum stroke)from many instructors. He agrees that stroke comes first, but disagrees on how to build one! In the end...different strokes for different folks! :D

Scott Lee

During the SETUP step, you're getting into your stance with the proper aim and all that. Once you're down on the shot and have the aim setup correctly, THEN looking at the cue ball, practice 2 speed strokes to get the speed in your head. Go to Set, then look up at the ob if that's what you do, then shoot. By fine tuning the speed LAST, you'll have it as primary. You don't have to worry about the aim, because you've already established that correctly, so the speed is then your only problem left.

Sense?

Jeff Livingston

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The only speed "tip" that I have ever gained from was a draw tip. It was, to draw a specific distance, hit a drag shot that would stop spinning the same distance beyond the object ball that you want to draw.

It doesn't work. But after much repetition, you learn to feel it. Follow is very similar but requires less repetition.

Did your team win?

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

r/DCP
Football's fun...
2478761.jpg

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Originally Posted by chefjeff View Post

Sense?

Jeff Livingston

That's pretty accurate overall Jeff...especially with how long it's been since we got together. Nice job including the PEP, which is the 'secret weapon'! LOL The real key is in the simplified sentence, "just shoot". What does that mean, exactly? For most players it means pull back and shoot. The problem usually is that the player jerks the transition and pokes the ball, with a tight grip.

For me it's something completely different. It means measuring out your stroke as you get down on the shot line, and settling into your bridge and stance. It means stopping at the CB, after warm up swings, but before you shoot. It means a slow backswing, with some kind of short or long pause at the end of the backswing (which facilitates a smooth transition from backwards to a smooth accelerated forward stroke). It means finishing your swing the same every time, with a relaxed cradle...instead of "following through more". Using a static pendulum swing, the weight of the cue, and timing to create the speed of the stroke. KISS rules! Essentially it's a successful (when applied properly) method of improving everything about your pool game.

I'm not quite sure why Dr. Cues Protege (Mike) can't seem to grasp the concept...but he's heard the same message (pendulum stroke)from many instructors. He agrees that stroke comes first, but disagrees on how to build one! In the end...different strokes for different folks! :D

Scott Lee

My comment of "then shoot" was to keep the idea of speed being the final thing integrated into the shot. That is, once the speed has been determined, it's time to shoot. I didn't want to express any details of that as it wasn't pertinent to what I was trying to say and I didn't want to distract from the point of speed-control coming last.

Thanks for the additional comments. Btw, it's been 12 years I think since you were here.

Jeff Livingston

goettlicher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with Scott Lee. Mother Drill #5.

Learn speed control both Mentally and Physically.

randyg