Turning Stone Classic XXIX Updates - 2018

xianmacx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I checked the main page with no luck. Anyone know if the finals will be posted on ustream?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While it is true that each shot' s outcome is solely the result of the shooter's action, sometimes minute details turn the outcome to shit.

Surely we have each been on both sides of the matter: sometimes, a shot turns to shit and gets followed up with worse and worse outcomes after that. Brutality!

deadnutz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What triggered his ''acting out''.
Near the end it was poor position particularly on one rack he snookered himself slightly and had to shoot a 1/2 table length slight masse shot at a ball a few inches from the pocket. (Standard shot that most A players would execute successfully) and dogged it. At the end of a strong comeback he missed position and then missed the shot. Only one to be mad at was himself. He should've been beating his head off the table instead of his cue. Wasn't the cues fault......

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
Funny the same thing happened to Billy Thorpe in the hot seat match. Every bad role in the world but he kept his head and won. Conincidence ... I think not.
Except when he whacked the 9ball off the table.......

Near the end it was poor position particularly on one rack he snookered himself slightly and had to shoot a 1/2 table length slight masse shot at a ball a few inches from the pocket. (Standard shot that most A players would execute successfully) and dogged it. At the end of a strong comeback he missed position and then missed the shot. Only one to be mad at was himself. He should've been beating his head off the table instead of his cue. Wasn't the cues fault......
He kept shooting (and missing it) after the match too.
With his battered cue. lol
The comeback was exciting though.

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It was rack for your opponent winner break 9 ball. New diamond triangle rack that was hollow plastic. It was the same on all tables and all matches.

KMRUNOUT

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Thanks for clarifying. Could have sworn I saw a template used on first day. Maybe that new triangle was real clear plastic, LOL.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
Except when he whacked the 9ball off the table.......

He kept shooting (and missing it) after the match too.
With his battered cue. lol
The comeback was exciting though.
I think that Billy winning this tournament was the best lesson that he could have had -- because he shouldn't have been in the finals due to his temper.

When he conceded and whacked the 9-ball off the table in the other match, he should have lost that match right there according to the rules. If you concede a game, you where supposed to automatically lose the next game too. He's very lucky that the other player didn't call him on it. If he would have been out of the tournament at that point, he may have never realized that he would have been really giving up first place.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I think that Billy winning this tournament was the best lesson that he could have had -- because he shouldn't have been in the finals due to his temper.

When he conceded and whacked the 9-ball off the table in the other match, he should have lost that match right there according to the rules. If you concede a game, you where supposed to automatically lose the next game too. He's very lucky that the other player didn't call him on it. If he would have been out of the tournament at that point, he may have never realized that he would have been really giving up first place.

There was a Ref watching, he should have called it. It shouldn't be left up to the players.

I don't agree with the rule but it's not my tournament.

They could solve it by charging the other player a game if he doesn't call it, that would for sure solve the problem cause the player would call it every time. Lol
Jason

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Interesting way to think about it.

Taxi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I may be in the minority, but I'm glad that rule wasn't enforced, and that the match was allowed to be settled where it belonged----on the table.

I also think it was a fine display of sportsmanship on Cicero's part not to want to win on a technicality. I'd never heard of him before, but I'll be rooting for him in the future.

Overall this was a terrific tournament from start to finish, although it kind of made me nostalgic for the commentating days of Grady and "Cardone". Archer was interesting for awhile, but after his little rant about Jay and his inattention to the match before him, it seemed he was just running on like the proverbial six pack of gonorrhea. They needed to get someone like JJ in the booth.

justabrake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There was a Ref watching, he should have called it. It shouldn't be left up to the players.

I don't agree with the rule but it's not my tournament.

They could solve it by charging the other player a game if he doesn't call it, that would for sure solve the problem cause the player would call it every time. Lol
Jason

Best answer I’ve heard on this

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
I may be in the minority, but I'm glad that rule wasn't enforced, and that the match was allowed to be settled where it belonged----on the table.

I also think it was a fine display of sportsmanship on Cicero's part not to want to win on a technicality. I'd never heard of him before, but I'll be rooting for him in the future.

Overall this was a terrific tournament from start to finish, although it kind of made me nostalgic for the commentating days of Grady and "Cardone". Archer was interesting for awhile, but after his little rant about Jay and his inattention to the match before him, it seemed he was just running on like the proverbial six pack of gonorrhea. They needed to get someone like JJ in the booth.
If I was his opponent, I wouldn't have enforced the rule either. But Billy should realize that there are consequences for acting out like that.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don’t think a match should ever end on that rule. If anything, take a game off Billy’s score, don’t give a game to the opponent.

justabrake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
whats the craziest rule you ever heard of mine was if I break my cue down you automatically loose even if I wanted to change my shaft

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was watching from high up on the stands.
Can someone tell me if the slight masse shot that Dennis missed on the 4, could he have gone rail first and had better chances at making the shot with position on the 5?

The stream angle would've picked it up better. But from where I was viewing, the 4 looked like it was comfortable off the rail for a rail first attempt.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I don’t think a match should ever end on that rule. If anything, take a game off Billy’s score, don’t give a game to the opponent.

That is much easier rule to enforce....I like it.
I have played in Joss tournaments.....and never took that edge....I would remind them
to stop doing it, though.

I like the rule, BTW....you should have nothing to say when it’s not your shot.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
I was watching from high up on the stands.
Can someone tell me if the slight masse shot that Dennis missed on the 4, could he have gone rail first and had better chances at making the shot with position on the 5?

The stream angle would've picked it up better. But from where I was viewing, the 4 looked like it was comfortable off the rail for a rail first attempt.

The rail-first shot was makeable, but probably a little more difficult than the slight masse, I suspect, because the OB was slightly to the left of the center of the pocket (as Hatch was looking at it), as I recall. I also think position was more natural with the masse. I think he should have taken more time before shooting the masse, and calmed down a bit so he could give the shot his complete concentration.