Hypothetical Question - What would you do?

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
hahaha!

I'd tell them if I saw them about to mess up, and I always tell my opponent if I mess up and they didn't see it. I was raised playing the game of golf, and you always hold yourself accountable to your actions. To each their own though.

Seems the reasoning is a little fuzzy here.
You hold yourself accountable for your actions...but not the other guy?
....do you think you’re better than everybody else?

pt...worked at a pro shop long before he hit a pool ball

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Say the guy, for whatever reason, just doesn't see the 1 ball, is it ok to let him keep making balls until he misses or notices his error and then call the foul?

If you're hungry and your opponent offers you an apple, is it fundamentally different than him offering you an orange?

LeonD123

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would never tell him, as long there is money, points or a result on the line.

Sportsmanship is being nice, fair play and respectful.

Helping your opponent during a match is absolute douchebaggery.

This is pool, not your Sunday Monopoly at your grandma's :thumbup:

Reactions: KRJ

Wieguns

Banger
Silver Member
Seems the reasoning is a little fuzzy here.
You hold yourself accountable for your actions...but not the other guy?
....do you think you’re better than everybody else?

pt...worked at a pro shop long before he hit a pool ball

It doesn't seem fuzzy to me. I would hold them accountable for their actions if they hit the wrong ball, and they would suffer the penalty for doing so.

If they haven't hit the ball, but I saw they would, I would say something. The action hasn't taken place in this case.

To parallel it to my golf analogy, it would be the same as having your opponent about to hit the wrong ball from the fairway. If I saw this about to take place, I would say "that is my ball you are about to hit." If they proceeded to hit it anyway, they would be in violation of rule Rule 15-3b, and they would incur the associated penalty. In every situation I have ever witnessed, the opponent let the individual know they believed they were about to hit the wrong golf ball.

To each their own. I'm simply stating how I would handle the proposed hypothetical question.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It doesn't seem fuzzy to me. I would hold them accountable for their actions if they hit the wrong ball, and they would suffer the penalty for doing so.

If they haven't hit the ball, but I saw they would, I would say something. The action hasn't taken place in this case.

To parallel it to my golf analogy, it would be the same as having your opponent about to hit the wrong ball from the fairway. If I saw this about to take place, I would say "that is my ball you are about to hit." If they proceeded to hit it anyway, they would be in violation of rule Rule 15-3b, and they would incur the associated penalty. In every situation I have ever witnessed, the opponent let the individual know they believed they were about to hit the wrong golf ball.

To each their own. I'm simply stating how I would handle the proposed hypothetical question.

I saw the same “fuzziness”. You think everyone should hold themselves accountable for their actions, but then say that you should help your opponent. Why not have him be responsible for his own actions, and you for yours?

If it’s all for fun, go ahead and tell them whatever you want, but to do so in a competition is silly (in my opinion).

PS - I like golf too.

OneIron

On the snap, Vinny!
Silver Member
I will always let the opponent know. I have no interest in winning by gaming the rules. And it doesn’t matter who my opponent is or how they act. Honest is honest...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sbpoolleague

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If it's cheating if my best friend and team mate do it, it should be wrong is my opponent does it. How can you pat one on the back, and call the other person a "cheater" ?

That makes no sense. Sportsmanship is being thrown around, but when my team mate does it he's a cheater?

Either it's right or wrong. If your opponent is shooting leave him alone unless he asks you something? Hey, am I stripes or solids? Whatever.

Your fundamental lack of knowledge about sportsmanship is typical of Trump supporters. Sad.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You really shouldn't tell your opponent he's shooting the wrong ball. Even though it's meant with good intentions, it's technically interfering with a player while he's at the table shooting. He may even realize he's shooting the wrong ball at the last second on his own and get up off the shot.

You can interrupt him if you feel the need for a call on a particular shot, but otherwise there are very few allowable reasons to interrupt your opponent while he's at the table. Good sportsmanship is to not interfere with your opponent unless it's in accordance with the the rules of the game, such as asking for a call on a hit.

You can also think of it this way: Would a referee notify a player he's about to shoot the wrong ball? A referee's job is to judge after the fact, and not to interfere with a player's judgement, right or wrong. In the absence of a referee, an opponent must also act like a referee.

Last edited:

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You really shouldn't tell your opponent he's shooting the wrong ball. Even though it's meant with good intentions, it's technically interfering with a player while he's at the table shooting. He may even realize he's shooting the wrong ball at the last second and get up off the shot.

You can interrupt him if you feel the need for a call on a particular shot, but otherwise there are very few allowable reasons to interrupt your opponent while he's at the table. Good sportsmanship is to not interfere with your opponent unless absolutely necessary.
You don't think notifying your opponent that he's shooting the wrong ball is one of the "very few allowable reasons" to interrupt your opponent?

If you were the one shooting the wrong ball and your opponent interrupted you, would you think that is poor sportsmanship?

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Tell them or not, it doesn't really matter.

What does matter is that when all is said and done, everybody gets a Participation Trophy.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Say the guy, for whatever reason, just doesn't see the 1 ball, is it ok to let him keep making balls until he misses or notices his error and then call the foul?

If you're hungry and your opponent offers you an apple, is it fundamentally different than him offering you an orange?

Lol.....good question. But the foul must be called on the shot for which it was committed. I mean, if an opponent fouls while shooting the 1 in a game of 9ball, and you ignore it because you believe he can't get out anyway, you can't call the foul a few shots later when he's about to win. However, if he skips the 1 entirely, he commits a foul on every shot thereafter as long as it's not the 1 (lowest ball). So theoretically you could let him shoot several balls, each shot a foul, and then call foul at your convenience! :eek: It would be no different than letting a double hit on the CB slide once or twice in a friendly match, only to call foul when it happens again at a more critical or opportune time. With no ref, it's the opposing player's responsibility AND discretion when it comes to calling fouls.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Your fundamental lack of knowledge about sportsmanship is typical of Trump supporters. Sad.

LOL. Can't win with facts so you bring politics into this. You got something to say, you're welcome to venture into NPR. Yeah, I didn't think so.

So, if teammate warns player about shooting wrong ball he's a cheater, if the other team does it they are great sportsman. That's what you said, why back down from it, why deflect from the question. Typical league non sense where the rules are whatever the LO decides that day. LOL What a joke.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LOL. Can't win with facts so you bring politics into this. You got something to say, you're welcome to venture into NPR. Yeah, I didn't think so.

So, if teammate warns player about shooting wrong ball he's a cheater, if the other team does it they are great sportsman. That's what you said, why back down from it, why deflect from the question. Typical league non sense where the rules are whatever the LO decides that day. LOL What a joke.

I guess not telling your opponent is being racist too!

sbpoolleague

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'm not backing down from anything. Read the ****ing rules. Are you ****ing stupid?

What am I saying...of course you are.

Should have my head examined for arguing with morons.

Last edited:

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I'm not backing down from anything. Read the ****ing rules. Are you ****ing stupid?

What am I saying...of course you are.

Should have my head examined for arguing with morons.

Have you read the rules of conduct on this site? So, now name calling is OK. How do you run a business like this ? I can only imagine how you treat league players, geez.

You have one person challenge you, not rudely at all, but just asking how one is sportsmanship and the other is a cheater? And instead of having a civil conversation you risk getting banned because you can't control yourself. Well played Sir, I guess you win the internet today. LMAO

Last edited:

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You don't think notifying your opponent that he's shooting the wrong ball is one of the "very few allowable reasons" to interrupt your opponent?

If you were the one shooting the wrong ball and your opponent interrupted you, would you think that is poor sportsmanship?

It's absolutely not an allowable reason to interrupt your opponent, regardless of who is on the receiving end.

Another classic example is when a fan favorite player shows up a few minutes past the 15 minute forfeit time and the TD asks the opponent if they would mind playing the match.

If a player finds himself faced with this type of moral dilemma in a match, then the TD or LO needs to work harder at his job. Among other things, his job is to prevent players to have to face unnecessary moral dilemmas. He does this in several ways: 1.) Enforce the rules that are on the books. 2) Use player meetings effectively for discussions, and not just for a calcutta or the draw. 3.) Address issues as they come up and even periodically hand out discussion sheets to players of issues that occur and their resolution.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I have other important things to worry about...
Is a hypothetical question a real question?
:scratchhead::scratchhead::scratchhead: