Keilwood shafts

schitzngigglz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am looking for a new low-deflection shaft for my Espiritu. Is there much difference between a $200 Keilwood shaft and a $500 Keilwood shaft?

Assuming that all manufacturers started with the same Keilwood blank, I don't see where the craftsmanship would come into play.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Taper
quality in what is done at the tip / ferrule
Are 2 things that come to mind

Reactions: ACL

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am looking for a new low-deflection shaft for my Espiritu. Is there much difference between a $200 Keilwood shaft and a $500 Keilwood shaft?

Assuming that all manufacturers started with the same Keilwood blank, I don't see where the craftsmanship would come into play.
Skipping the obvious $300...I'd ask the seller.

It could be some difference that is worth far more than the $300 added, but you don't want that feature.

You might save money and get what is better for you too.

schitzngigglz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Taper
quality in what is done at the tip / ferrule
Are 2 things that come to mind
I would think that 99% of commercially available shafts are produced on a CNC lathe to the same "Pro-taper" program. same with the tip/ferrule.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who makes a $500 Keilwood shaft? Price depends on the maker as much as the performance of the product. I know a local guy that makes shafts for like $200 or less all day and quite a few of them are every bit as good as a $300+ shaft from other makers, with the addition of being able to do a custom taper and width.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I would think that 99% of commercially available shafts are produced on a CNC lathe to the same "Pro-taper" program. same with the tip/ferrule.
some people are able to put out better quality with the same tools
just sayin
if you are just looking to justify buying the cheapest thing out there
thats fine

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member

Just like regular maple,.Kielwood comes in different grades.
Craftsmanship is not the same from maker to maker.
Or factory to factory..I don't know why you assume it is.

DJKeys

Sound Design
Silver Member
This! The blanks are not the same, the craftsmanship is not the same.

-dj

Reactions: bbb

TheBasics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Howdy All;

To me it is about the age of the wood and how long it's been aged before
it was cooked. How it was cooked (time, temp. akin to heat treating metal),
and who cooked it. Was the blank bought?
Lots of 'things' can influence the price including.

hank

Coos Cues

Coos Cues
It's all about supply and demand.

Every transaction in a free country between private entities will sell for exactly what a willing buyer will pay a willing seller.

Ain't capitalism grand?

schitzngigglz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does Kielwood need to be at a certain humidity level before it can be called Kielwood?

A couple of questions for you as a cuemaker:
Do you use a CNC lathe to turn your shafts?
Do you buy your kielwood shafts in blanks or bake your own?

Honestly, no disrespect intended.

schitzngigglz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For argument's sake, what would be the difference between a $225 customizable Schmelke Kielwood shaft and a $420 customizable Hsunami shaft?

Both are reputable cue makers.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Does Kielwood need to be at a certain humidity level before it can be called Kielwood?

Kielwood is torrified maple.
You can tell if the wood is torrified by the color.

No CNC. I have a taper machine with taper templates.

I buy blanks from 3 different sources.
The facility that does this costs hundreds of thousands..At least one of them is in the million+ . They supply guitar companies.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It's not just the moisture content. Much more chemistry going on other then that.

Zerksies

Probably quality of the wood. I mean they both are baked the shit out of but i would think grain quality. Possibility the $500 shafts are baked longer have less moisture.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
For argument's sake, what would be the difference between a $225 customizable Schmelke Kielwood shaft and a $420 customizable Hsunami shaft?

Both are reputable cue makers.
$195.........;)
i have not played with both
i own and played with hsunami and might sell it for less than hsunami new but more than schmelke
PM me if interested
to answer your question
there has to be a reason hsunami gets so many rave reviews while the scmelke does not

schitzngigglz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kielwood is torrified maple.
You can tell if the wood is torrified by the color.

No CNC. I have a taper machine with taper templates.

I buy blanks from 3 different sources.
The facility that does this costs hundreds of thousands..At least one of them is in the million+ . They supply guitar companies.
Are you able to buy the blanks at different grades? I'm sure there is some type of certification to be qualified as Kielwood.

ACL

The craftmanship of the Hsunami is what sets it apart IMHO. I tried a few different kielwood shafts before going with the Hsunami and to me, the extra money was worth it.

I have an OL-2 Meucci Original. The biggest difference for me was the feel of the hit with the Hsunami on my cue. I can't really describe it. It was as if there was a disconnect with the others that I tried while the Hsunami felt as if it was made for it. I don't know if that makes any sense.

I have the original and the 2.0. The 2.0 has a bit of a stiffer hit than the original and a deeper tone.

I recently acquired a Richard Hsu cue that he made in 2003 and I just happened to have a third shaft on order with him. I asked if I could change my order to match his cue and he did so without hesitation. Richard is great to work with and meticulous in his work so to repeat, the extra money is worth it. Not only that, I feel better working with a small business rather than a bigger company.

DJKeys

Sound Design
Silver Member
The craftmanship of the Hsunami is what sets it apart IMHO. I tried a few different kielwood shafts before going with the Hsunami and to me, the extra money was worth it.

I have an OL-2 Meucci Original. The biggest difference for me was the feel of the hit with the Hsunami on my cue. I can't really describe it. It was as if there was a disconnect with the others that I tried while the Hsunami felt as if it was made for it. I don't know if that makes any sense.

I have the original and the 2.0. The 2.0 has a bit of a stiffer hit than the original and a deeper tone.

I recently acquired a Richard Hsu cue that he made in 2003 and I just happened to have a third shaft on order with him. I asked if I could change my order to match his cue and he did so without hesitation. Richard is great to work with and meticulous in his work so to repeat, the extra money is worth it. Not only that, I feel better working with a small business rather than a bigger company.
I agree completely. I have the 1.0 shaft for about a year, complete custom build. I should be getting the 2.0 soon, looking forward to trying it. Richard is a great guy to deal with, highly recommend his work-

-dj

Reactions: ACL