Who wants to test 14.1 Sequence?

DaWizard

Hey everyone. Ive created a variation of Straight Pool. I'm curious what straight pool players think of it and even better: want to give it a shot!

Here are the rules:

14.1 Sequence is a variation of 14.1 continuous, aka straight pool.

All straight pool rules apply, with the exception of scoring. In 14.1 Sequence every potted ball is worth one point, unless the player decides to call a sequence of shots.

The sequence of shots has to be called by writing down which balls will be potted and in which pockets. A sequence has to be at minimum 3 shots.

A sequence of shots is worth more points: the longer the sequence, the more points.

3 balls = 6 points
4 balls = 9
5 balls = 12
6 balls = 15
7 balls = 18
8 balls = 22
9 balls = 26
10 balls = 30
11 balls = 35
12 balls = 42
13 balls = 50
14 balls = 60

If the player calls a sequence, but the cue ball gets out of line and he is unable to pot the ball in the called pocket, then the run ends and the points scored in the sequence are cancelled.

Example
A player has run a total of 31 points so far and decides to announce a sequence:
4 in the corner pocket, 12 in the side, 6 in the corner pocket and the 7 in the same corner pocket.
Potentially scoring 10 points if he pots all 4 balls in the pockets he called.

He pots the 4, 12 and the 6 in the specified pockets, but gets out of line on the 7. He must pot the 7 in the specified corner pocket, but he can only do so through a difficult kick shot. He decides to play safe instead.
The run ends and he gets 0 points for the 4, 12 and 6 and ends his run with 31 points.

Writing down the sequence
To prevent arguments over the called sequence it’s advisable to write down the sequence and the scored points so far. Here’s a system to do so:

1) number the pockets
numbers.png

2) write down the numbers of the balls in connection with the pocket, potential points and the current score.
E.g.: 4-1, 12-5, 6-6, 7-6 (10 points)
currently at 31 points.

Last edited:

DaWizard

I have yet to test it myself but I reckon it changes the dynamic quite a lot. The points increase is pretty steep. Races will be to 200, 500 or even 1000 points. Just potting balls wont get you there, sequences are essential.

On the plus side this is a strong incentive to call sequences. And I hope that adds a high risk, high reward aspect to the game. In straight pool often it's not difficult to call 4-5 balls ahead, especially if the lay-out is easy. But after that things gets iffy. Are you willing to risk your run?

The down side is that it might become too focused on making sequences. Players will have to look out for them all the time. This is different compared to the more laid back nature of straight pool.

On the other hand it's an interesting come back mechanism. A player that is far behind could still call a 10 ball sequence to make a comeback.

I'm curious how more experienced straight pool players look at this scoring system.

Last edited:

DaWizard

You've heard the old saying, ""if it ain't broke", don't fix it?"
I get that people want to keep things as they are and that's fine.

I like to experiment a little though and i'm curious how this will pan out. Haven't got the time to test myself yet but I will soon.

DaWizard

For my first test the main thing to test will be: is it too easy to score double digits points?

Because I think it is. To make it a bit harder I'll add a rule for a sequence:
In a sequence sequential balls cannot be called in the same pocket.

This is not too complex or limiting and it ensures that the balls travel a bit more, increasing the risk of failure.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Scheduled a test for the game.

The design team is still deciding how many shots to take for the pre-assessment.

5 shots of vodka plus a pool coach can make me feel like a strong player.

1 shot of vodka without a coach, I can make at least 1 ball more than I am used to. It at least gives the impression that taking a shot is worth it.
Or should the test be for beer or wine?

I am heading to a few pool rooms to demo the game today. Anyone interested in shooting around NY Tri State Area?

How much feedback are you hoping for?

justnum

Silver Member
The first round needs more chances for players.
Opening shot is lag.
Winner chooses their break pattern layout.
Opponent is forced to play their break pattern.
Turn ends and incoming player receives BIH.

Should players take turns choosing different break layouts? Yes, making and using diagrams is a key job skill.

The first two turns is where new players need time to catch a gear.

Fun game really makes the kids practice their memory and counting. If it had an app the kids can just voice input their sequence to an AI.

Let them have fun analyzing their own practice data. Fridays are for banging and Saturdays are for stroke practice, Sundays is when the group gets together for the private matchups.

Anyone have recommendations for good sammiches?

Hard Knock Cues

Hey everyone. Ive created a variation of Straight Pool. I'm curious what straight pool players think of it and even better: want to give it a shot!

Here are the rules:

All straight pool rules apply, with the exception of scoring. In 14.1 Sequence every potted ball is worth one point, unless the player decides to call a sequence of shots.

The sequence of shots has to be called by writing down which balls will be potted and in which pockets. A sequence has to be at minimum 3 shots.

A sequence of shots is worth more points: 1 cumulative point for every called and made shot:

3 balls = 1 + 2 + 3 = 6 points
4 balls = 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 = 10
5 balls = 15
6 balls = 21
7 balls = 28
8 balls = 36
9 balls = 45
10 balls = 55
11 balls = 66
12 balls = 78
13 balls = 91
14 balls = 105

If the player calls a sequence, but the cue ball gets out of line and he is unable to pot the ball in the called pocket, then the run ends and the points scored in the sequence are cancelled.

Example
A player has run a total of 31 points so far and decides to announce a sequence:
4 in the corner pocket, 12 in the side, 6 in the corner pocket and the 7 in the same corner pocket.

He pots the 4, 12 and the 6 in the specified pockets, but gets out of line on the 7. He must pot the 7 in the specified corner pocket, but he can only do so through a difficult kick shot. He decides to play safe instead.
The run ends and he gets 0 points for the 4, 12 and 6 and ends his run with 31 points.

To prevent arguments over the called sequence it’s advisable to write down the sequence and the scored points so far. Here’s a system to do so:

1) number the pockets
View attachment 733358
2) write down the numbers of the balls in connection with the pocket, potential points and the current score.
currently at 31 points.
Interesting but I think the pockets should have a letter value so to not confuse balls and pockets.
Write it down like 5-a, 10-c, 9-f, ect, ect,

It would make novices look ahead and plan for patterns.

justnum

Silver Member
Feels like a good reason for hexadecimal counting. Is this a puzzle or Hello World Joke

DaWizard

3 balls = 6 points
4 balls = 9
5 balls = 12
6 balls = 15
7 balls = 18
8 balls = 22
9 balls = 26
10 balls = 30
11 balls = 35
12 balls = 42
13 balls = 50
14 balls = 60
I realised there needs to be a cap for the points per ball. The points increased too steep.

Changed it to
3 = 2p per ball
4-7 = 3p
8-10 = 4p
10+ is increasingly better

Calling 10+ shots and run them is a feat. But like this smaller runs are worthwhile too.

Last edited:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Here are the rules:

A sequence of shots is worth more points: 1 cumulative point for every called and made shot:

3 balls = 1 + 2 + 3 = 6 points
4 balls = 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 = 10
5 balls = 15
6 balls = 21
7 balls = 28
8 balls = 36
9 balls = 45
10 balls = 55
11 balls = 66
12 balls = 78
13 balls = 91
14 balls = 105

Example

1) number the pockets
View attachment 733358
currently at 31 points.
Too complicated to keep up with! 14.1 is challenging enough without making the scoring more challenging than the game!

DaWizard

Too complicated to keep up with! 14.1 is challenging enough without making the scoring more challenging than the game!
I wouldn't say it makes it more challenging. It adds a high risk high reward element to the game. In you're head you're already "calling sequences". But how deep do you dare to say it out loud?

I think the dynamic will be pretty different from regular straight pool.
I'm making a video explaining the rules, you'll see it's not that difficult.

And the 20th of January i'm going to run a small tournament in which well play 14.1 Sequence as well. I hope to get it livestreamed but the venue doesnt have a setup for that.

cjr3559

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched the video with an open mind. It may be great for personal practice/improvement, but way too complicated for a two player game. Confusion, disagreements and misunderstandings about the scoring are inevitable. It will also take longer to draft an explanation of your turn than to make the shots.

And this game appears to eliminate the .1 continuous part of straight pool. Seems that runs are capped at 14 and you start over again with a fresh rack. Otherwise how could you plan the next rack when you don’t know what it looks like.

Hard Knock Cues

I watched the video with an open mind. It may be great for personal practice/improvement, but way too complicated for a two player game. Confusion, disagreements and misunderstandings about the scoring are inevitable. It will also take longer to draft an explanation of your turn than to make the shots.

And this game appears to eliminate the .1 continuous part of straight pool. Seems that runs are capped at 14 and you start over again with a fresh rack. Otherwise how could you plan the next rack when you don’t know what it looks like.
I agree with cjr3559 it would slow down an already time consuming game. Better players would also have an even bigger advantage to put up even more points. It Would still be useful for practice and help with looking ahead for patterns. I just don't see it taking off, Although I'm glad you used my idea of giving the pockets a letter value 😉 good luck and let us know how it goes over.