Anyone see that Blackboar cue on Facebook? Ouch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

THam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What he said was other top makers suck as Hercek and Searing would never let it leave their shop. For the price on a BB I agree it shouldn’t leave the shop.

misterpoole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No photo description available.
May be an image of bicycle

Wow, thats awful work right there

CuseFan559

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Again, not a single one of them know who you are and I have 8 cues being built/worked on at the best in the world's shop. How many you got being built by the top 5?
Who are the top 5 cuemakers in the world?

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
This might be the saddest cue post I have ever seen. First I was at the 2000 ish US Open when the owner of the "greatest cueshop" left that show with most if not all the cues he bought with him. Even with Steve Mizerak trying to be his salesman. A few of which made the rounds and these 1/2 joint cues had beginner inlays, and gaps in the points. Would it be fair to judge him on these cues, compared to what he does today? No. I would bet this Black Boar was made when they were getting their feet wet with the equipment. Go to the gallery and look at Tikklers Black Boar cues and tell me about the issues. The number of internet know it all's increases exponentially every year. The reality is most of them were still sh*tting themselves when the cue market was at its peak. But let's keep this on cues... even comparing a 1959-60 Balabushka to one he made in 1974 would make them seem like they were made by two different people. What would he and his cues have to deal with if there was an internet in 1966? With guys that have never even turned a lathe on judging his craftsmanship and skillset? All the while championships were being won with his cues. This is what makes the internet a sh*tshow. Do you know how many cues if you zoomed in on inlays, and put them under a microscope you could find a flaw in? Most of them is the answer. I am attaching a photo of an inlay at a ridiculous magnification... There are chips in the pearl, microfinish scratches, what kind of idiot would say that this guy should have shelved this cue?

This is a very poor showing by people that should know better.

JV

Attachments

• inlay.jpg
    inlay.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 125

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Perhaps Tony is getting older and not involved as much as he may have been in the past. Not making excuses for the shoddy work which is not acceptable or expected from his shop. It just seems odd.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This might be the saddest cue post I have ever seen. First I was at the 2000 ish US Open when the owner of the "greatest cueshop" left that show with most if not all the cues he bought with him. Even with Steve Mizerak trying to be his salesman. A few of which made the rounds and these 1/2 joint cues had beginner inlays, and gaps in the points. Would it be fair to judge him on these cues, compared to what he does today? No. I would bet this Black Boar was made when they were getting their feet wet with the equipment.
This is a fair point. But what I don't understand is the defense of sub- par work. The pictures are zoomed in, but they are not under a microscope. the flaws are there very plain to the naked eye. IF they were just learning the CNC machine or the software, that means they were not experts when the cue was made. What in the world would make this even a 5k cue? I am genuinely asking, as I have never, owned, and probably never will, a custom cue.

I can understand the historical relevance of a Balabushka, as you said because of the championships won the relationship to famous players, etc. How many championships have been won with this maker's cue? How many famous or successful pro's play with them? Again, not being argumentative, just trying to learn.

Go to the gallery and look at Tikklers Black Boar cues and tell me about the issues. The number of internet know it all's increases exponentially every year. The reality is most of them were still sh*tting themselves when the cue market was at its peak. But let's keep this on cues... even comparing a 1959-60 Balabushka to one he made in 1974 would make them seem like they were made by two different people. What would he and his cues have to deal with if there was an internet in 1966? With guys that have never even turned a lathe on judging his craftsmanship and skillset? All the while championships were being won with his cues. This is what makes the internet a sh*tshow. Do you know how many cues if you zoomed in on inlays, and put them under a microscope you could find a flaw in? Most of them is the answer. I am attaching a photo of an inlay at a ridiculous magnification... There are chips in the pearl, microfinish scratches, what kind of idiot would say that this guy should have shelved this cue?

JV

Scrunge19

Registered
This might be the saddest cue post I have ever seen. First I was at the 2000 ish US Open when the owner of the "greatest cueshop" left that show with most if not all the cues he bought with him. Even with Steve Mizerak trying to be his salesman. A few of which made the rounds and these 1/2 joint cues had beginner inlays, and gaps in the points. Would it be fair to judge him on these cues, compared to what he does today? No. I would bet this Black Boar was made when they were getting their feet wet with the equipment. Go to the gallery and look at Tikklers Black Boar cues and tell me about the issues. The number of internet know it all's increases exponentially every year. The reality is most of them were still sh*tting themselves when the cue market was at its peak. But let's keep this on cues... even comparing a 1959-60 Balabushka to one he made in 1974 would make them seem like they were made by two different people. What would he and his cues have to deal with if there was an internet in 1966? With guys that have never even turned a lathe on judging his craftsmanship and skillset? All the while championships were being won with his cues. This is what makes the internet a sh*tshow. Do you know how many cues if you zoomed in on inlays, and put them under a microscope you could find a flaw in? Most of them is the answer. I am attaching a photo of an inlay at a ridiculous magnification... There are chips in the pearl, microfinish scratches, what kind of idiot would say that this guy should have shelved this cue?

JV
Cue was made in 2019.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

JV
If you would pay 20k for that half ass work good for you. I don’t expect a hand made cue to be perfect but I’ve seen a lot of customs in my life and that to me his shoddy work. Sorry if we called your buddy out. No one says all his work looks like that. Not even close.. but that shouldn’t have left the shop period.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member

JV
24 years ago - good for you!

There is NO comparison between the work Dennis does and the work Tony does, Dennis is light years ahead of him!

Why do you think most of his cues are black and white? I'll give you a hint - it's because it's easy to hide flaws with filler in black

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
When using a CNC machine what part of the cue making process is done by the machine and what part is done by hand.

Be specific.

Is this also applicable if a Pantograph is the tool used during the embellishment process?

c'mon hans, dazzle us with your cue making acumen

( some of your replies are down right numb)

Status
Not open for further replies.