The Octopus by Black Boar

bbhistorian

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tony has always said his last cues will be his best. So I guess he’s committed to outdoing himself… forever. If they’re only going to get more special, here’s to him living another couple decades
🥂
🖤
🐗

This cue was 4 months and dozens and dozens of variations from conception to completion. To say it consumed Tony is an understatement. To say it is phenomenal, also an understatement.

Gentlemen and Ladies, I present to you the Octopus cue
🐙
🖤
🐗

Just for show- Not for sale!!!!

More pictures can be found on Facebook and soon I'll upload them to the Black Boar website

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-10-14 at 6.08.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-14 at 6.08.20 PM.png
    948.9 KB · Views: 1,346
  • Screen Shot 2021-10-14 at 6.08.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-14 at 6.08.51 PM.png
    816.9 KB · Views: 902
  • Screen Shot 2021-10-14 at 6.09.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-14 at 6.09.11 PM.png
    825.5 KB · Views: 814
  • Screen Shot 2021-10-14 at 6.09.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-14 at 6.09.39 PM.png
    68.8 KB · Views: 782
  • Screen Shot 2021-10-14 at 6.09.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-14 at 6.09.58 PM.png
    70.1 KB · Views: 831
Last edited:

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
No, sir, pretty sure Tony is going to die behind the lathe, but he won't let it be said his quality declined as he aged ;)
Still remember spending the day with Tony and Vince at the Black Boar shop, buying a cue. Vince told me beforehand it's unlike any cue shop you've been to, and he was right.

Of all the cuemakers, and all have their talents, I've never met one more talented than Tony, Black Boar.

All the best,
WW

Jimmy_Betmore

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good Lord! That is without question the most beautifully composed and perfectly executed themed cue I've ever seen! The choices for the inlay materials are beyond incredible. Thank you for sharing it!

bbhistorian

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
4 months from design to finish?
or 4 months to finish the design idea?
4 months all told, it was designed in stages. The first inspiration was the octopus and there were countless (100 some odd) variations over about 6 weeks, meanwhile working on the blank. Finally he found something that worked for him, but Tony didn't want to leave the back without a face and the idea of duplicating it on the other side wasn't working for him either. The octopus was designed, pockets cut and inlayed before the Koi fish was conceived. Shafts and forearm work was in motion about the same time he was laboring over designing the koi. And the bubbles were conceived a day or so before finishing, so it wasn't such a linear process. He says all the time, "the cue becomes what it becomes", once a design is set in motion he isn't done until it's fully realized but he doesn't always know what that is when he sets out. He says "the space needs what it needs" and also "it'll be done when it's done" lol.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
Tony has always said his last cues will be his best. So I guess he’s committed to outdoing himself… forever. If they’re only going to get more special, here’s to him living another couple decades
🥂
🖤
🐗

This cue was 4 months and dozens and dozens of variations from conception to completion. To say it consumed Tony is an understatement. To say it is phenomenal, also an understatement.

Gentlemen and Ladies, I present to you the Octopus cue
🐙
🖤
🐗

Just for show- Not for sale!!!!

More pictures can be found on Facebook and soon I'll upload them to the Black Boar website
I can't even fathom what I'm seeing here. The extra pics on facebook are really good. Just utterly amazing.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
It's beyond compare. There is a lot of discussion as to who is the best cue maker of all time. I've spent some time with Tony, and It's subjective, but I think Tony and Black Boar have surpassed all others.

All the best,
WW

CJH

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Incredible cue, no doubt. Tony wouldn't be putting out work like this if Carrie Anne didn't come back to BB and get things organized and get Tony focused. Not an easy job she has but nobody does it better than her. Congrats to Tony for his masterful work and the owner of this cue.