Dominant Eye before any aiming system

SSP

I got back into pool a little over a year ago and I felt I was progressing quickly, all of the sudden I seemed to hit a wall and my play became inconsistent, break & run 1 week, miss 3 ball in hands the next, during my stroke drill of up and down the table with the cue ball returning to my tip I found that I had to shoot slightly to the left to hit "true center" my head was centered over the cue stick and my pre shot routine consistent but I was missing easy shots and couldn't understand why, so at the end of our league at the banquet I heard some guys talking about Dominant Eye, It's a really easy test and couldn't believe the results, I am definitely a Dominant Right Eye, I couldn't wait to get home and try it out, I started lining up with my right eye over the cue shaft and now center ball was center ball, the stroke drill was true center now, within a week of the change my consistency jumped dramatically, you can find the test online and it only takes seconds to do, it may not be your aiming it may be the sight picture you see is wrong because of where your eyes are when you aim, hope this helps.

Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Vision center is key, but I don't think you can separate the two - eye dominance is the primary ingredient in vision center location, usually closer to and often directly under the dominant eye.

pj
chgo
Not sure
“often under the dominant eye” is correct
please provide a link to support that
from non scientific observation
its often
"Near" the dominant eye"

Last edited:

SSP

Vision center is key, but I don't think you can separate the two - eye dominance is the primary ingredient in vision center location, usually closer to and often directly under the dominant eye.

pj
chgo
I'll agree with you and you may have stated it better than I did, I guess the main thing I was trying to point out is I played for years and didn't even know about dominant eye or vision center, understanding this could be a break through for a lot of people like it was for me.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Not sure
“often under the dominant eye” is correct
please provide a link to support that
from non scientific observation
its often
"Near" the dominant eye"
Are you saying it's never under the dominant eye, or just not "often"?

pj
chgo

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
I got back into pool a little over a year ago and I felt I was progressing quickly, all of the sudden I seemed to hit a wall and my play became inconsistent, break & run 1 week, miss 3 ball in hands the next, during my stroke drill of up and down the table with the cue ball returning to my tip I found that I had to shoot slightly to the left to hit "true center" my head was centered over the cue stick and my pre shot routine consistent but I was missing easy shots and couldn't understand why, so at the end of our league at the banquet I heard some guys talking about Dominant Eye, It's a really easy test and couldn't believe the results, I am definitely a Dominant Right Eye, I couldn't wait to get home and try it out, I started lining up with my right eye over the cue shaft and now center ball was center ball, the stroke drill was true center now, within a week of the change my consistency jumped dramatically, you can find the test online and it only takes seconds to do, it may not be your aiming it may be the sight picture you see is wrong because of where your eyes are when you aim, hope this helps.
And . . . head height is important and head rotation. My feet are close to 45 degrees to the shot line for many shots, I allow my head to turn with my trunk into the stance, so my left eye is closer to the CB as a right-hander.

When you next play well, make note of your precise head position (degree of rotation if any/height above cue), looking into a mirror. :)

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Are you saying it's never under the dominant eye, or just not "often"?

pj
chgo
I think someones vision center is not often directly under their dominant eye.
The dominance i dont think is 100% most of the time
The non dominant eye wants to be part of the picture to some degree
Pulling the vision center towards the non dominant eye to some amount
How much
varies on the division of dominance
Jmho
Icbw

snookered_again

point at some distant object and call it your target.

Without moving your head or your pointing finger, close one eye and note how far your pointing finger is off from the target. then close the other eye and see the difference..

probably one eye is stronger, that's your dominant eye.. the difference will be less as compared to both, when using that eye.

my left is way more dominant, and I'm right handed.. I have no doubt it affects me, Id be interested in how I best compensate..

with only one eye, you have no depth perception so as long as you shoot with both open then your vision center is going to be important..
I was playing with a friend recently that said he has no depth perception, I guess one very bad eye.. he went to use the long cue ( snooker) faulted because it was hard for him to judge distance between the end of his cue and the CB..

I dont know everything about it but took up an archery course, learned I'd need to pull the string with my left to be accurate. I found it so uncomfortable and awkward I quit archery.

I think if a guy is into guns they might use only one eye.. maybe some gun owners have tips?

all I've gathered is that I'm compensating somehow but I do think it means I likely won't be a world champ, just do the best I can.. I dont know if eye surgery would correct it , when I went for eye testing they didn't think I needed that. i think I do less well if I use my cell phone for a long time prior to playing.

Car tires that are some 50 feet away appear to be extra low profile tires when my eyes are fatigued.

Getting old sucks, but I can't think of a better option at this point ;-)

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
The non dominant eye wants to be part of the picture to some degree
Does the non-dominant eye “want to be part of the picture” when aiming a rifle or arrow? Isn’t aiming the stick at something pretty similar?

pj
chgo

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Does the non-dominant eye “want to be part of the picture” when aiming a rifle or arrow? Isn’t aiming the stick at something pretty similar?

pj
chgo
i am not an eye expert
i gave my opinion and am done answering questions
if you do the research and come up with some scientific links to answers
i am ready to learn
have a nice day patrick

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
@Patrick Johnson
do you agree that a persons vision center is not always directly under their dominant eye
pick one
yes
no
do you agree its more important to have the cue under your vision center than under your dominant eye (assuming your vision center is not under your dominant eye)
pick one
yes
no

snookered_again

I think maybe an archer or rifleman may just use one eye when aiming but maybe there is one here that can answer better.. that might not be the same if you are shooting guns from the hip like on gunsmoke ;-)

I dont think archers use the arrow itself as a sight, they showed us some sights that can be mounted upon a bow, but an arrow actually follows an arc, more-so than a bullet. One thing they do that is similar is touch their cheek or chin, face during their draw, as a point of reference, a lot of pool players do that as well.. The ones that have a habit of getting right down on their shots.

I think most pool players use both eyes and maybe depth perception is important, their eyes aren't adjusted to a focal length of basically near infinity, like a more distant shooting target.

I've heard I should have my chin over my cue but could be compensating and naturally using my center of vision habitually.

I also may not have my eyes at an angle that is , how do I say... to be perpendicular or square to the shot and level to the table.. does a pro level player always have his 2 eyes level to the table or may they tilt their head slightly?

Interesting what I might learn by video'ing myself, I think as soon as I become conscious of it all then it might sway what I do habitually.. I believe much of it is about like you would aim a basketball, or golf ball,,, In that case there are no sights, its as much about muscle memory as aim.

I think we use the cue as a sight somewhat, but also compansate, that's how I can hit the right part of the ball by loking at the contact point.. the contact point is not he aim point, the rest basically a compensation we naturally make.

a pool instructor could likely be more qualified to help with a better explanation.

definitely food for thought , for me..

Last edited:

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.

pj
chgo
Heck I'm a weirdo, I keep both eyes open when aiming, even with a scope. With a scope especially it helps you keep an eye on your quarry.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
@Patrick Johnson
do you agree that a persons vision center is not always directly under their dominant eye
pick one
yes
no
do you agree its more important to have the cue under your vision center than under your dominant eye (assuming your vision center is not under your dominant eye)
pick one
yes
no
I thought we were done answering questions...

pj
chgo

• Haha
Reactions: bbb

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I was done talking about rifles and archery
I would like you to answer my questions if you would, so choose to

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
You didn't talk about them.

I would like you to answer my questions
Took about a minute to Google these examples...

pj
chgo

download.jpg
Efren.jpg
images (1).jpg
images (2).jpg
images (4).jpg
images (5).jpg
images (6).jpg
images.jpg

Attachments

• images (3).jpg
    images (3).jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 21
  • images (7).jpg
    images (7).jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 18

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I thought we were done answering questions...

pj
chgo
@Patrick Johnson
pick one
yes
no
pick one
yes
no
I would like you to answer my questions
to see if we agree or not
and if not why

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
those are specific examples
cherry picked by you
please just answer my questions
its a yes or no answer
pick one
yes
no
pick one
yes
no

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
those are specific examples
cherry picked by you
"Cherry picked" within a minute or two of browsing for the few available straight-on pics of pros - plenty to show it's "often" true.

pj <- what sense would it make for me to post pics of cues that aren't under the dominant eye?
chgo