Quarterfinals race to 10
Semifinals race to 11
Final Race to 13

wpm pf.PNG

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
was race to 7 last year i think? or was that the year before that

anyway. very hard to pick one, shane is on fire, filler and albin are playing great.. yapp is due a big title, i'll root for him..

BlueRaider

Registered
I'm a bit sad to see Niels seemingly out of contention. It seems like yesterday he won in 2018, but hell, that was 6 years ago, and he's now pushing 50 years old.

Also a bit surprised that Kazakis wasn't invited. He won it just 3 years ago.

And finally, does Gorst's nationality change essentially boot Sky from these events for the foreseeable future? 3 Americans might be one too many. And it will be interesting to see who pairs with SVB for the World Cup of Pool.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Wow, how cool is that poster?

As for Biado, his current WNT ranking is #22. His omission is within reason, although he wouldn't look out of place in this field. Yes, he won the World 10-ball, but that's not a credential in the world of Matchroom Pool. Do we know for a fact that he wasn't invited?

It's a very strong field and will take a fine effort to snap it off.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm a bit sad to see Niels seemingly out of contention. It seems like yesterday he won in 2018, but hell, that was 6 years ago, and he's now pushing 50 years old.

Also a bit surprised that Kazakis wasn't invited. He won it just 3 years ago.

And finally, does Gorst's nationality change essentially boot Sky from these events for the foreseeable future? 3 Americans might be one too many. And it will be interesting to see who pairs with SVB for the World Cup of Pool.

niels played well in the italy open (WNT satellite event) the other day, albin beat him in the semi but it was a tight match.

gorst has said he will never take sky's spot in WCoP. maybe if shane retires we will see him play that event but i don't see that happening anytime soon

Flakeandrun

niels played well in the italy open (WNT satellite event) the other day, albin beat him in the semi but it was a tight match.

gorst has said he will never take sky's spot in WCoP. maybe if shane retires we will see him play that event but i don't see that happening anytime soon
MR buddies club... I wanna see some fire. They should be fighting for those spots. Where are the showdowns, the grudge matches or the fire?

There's just cool posters with arm folding and stern faces. I don't mind MR monopolizing the player market (I mean to my eye at least, it's far superior to what existed prior) if they at least add some drama.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
MR buddies club... I wanna see some fire. They should be fighting for those spots. Where are the showdowns, the grudge matches or the fire?

There's just cool posters with arm folding and stern faces. I don't mind MR monopolizing the player market (I mean to my eye at least, it's far superior to what existed prior) if they at least add some drama.

i think most spots are off the ranking, so they have indeed fought for those spots. idk how good friends they are. i think too much friendship is bad for the competitive spirit for some players. look at ronnie o'sullivan, stephen hendry, they are/were not very sociable with their opponents. kaci, filler, shane are also kind of "me against the world". killer instinct intact.

Flakeandrun

i think most spots are off the ranking, so they have indeed fought for those spots. idk how good friends they are. i think too much friendship is bad for the competitive spirit for some players. look at ronnie o'sullivan, stephen hendry, they are/were not very sociable with their opponents. kaci, filler, shane are also kind of "me against the world". killer instinct intact.
I wanna see some Jayson and Earl level shenanigans. Staring at a camera with a badaman glare is not the same as that 'in game drama'. All of these guys could break off this tournament in my opinion, so a little drama in the mix would be good.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fedor and Shane got in based on ranking, so his country is irrelevant. Sky needs to move himself up the rankings to guarantee himself an invite 🤷‍♂️

sky would have made it if all 16 were off the rankings, he is number 16. also kazakis is number 15. the promotor picked aranas and hoang instead, presumably for filipino and vietnamese representation. i think two wildcards is ok

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
was race to 7 last year i think? or was that the year before that

anyway. very hard to pick one, shane is on fire, filler and albin are playing great.. yapp is due a big title, i'll root for him..
Was race to 7 year before cos there were more players 24 then . From last year only 16 players so they increase race.
Yapp, Lechner, He are due a big title

Wow, how cool is that poster?

As for Biado, his current WNT ranking is #22. His omission is within reason, although he wouldn't look out of place in this field. Yes, he won the World 10-ball, but that's not a credential in the world of Matchroom Pool. Do we know for a fact that he wasn't invited?

It's a very strong field and will take a fine effort to snap it off.
Seems Aranas got final wildcard cos of his strong performance last year
Biado missed out again. Strangely, Biado has NEVER played in Matchroom individual invitationals like World Pool Masters, Premier Pool League. Orcollo was a regular invitee on World Pool Master in the past but in recent years, second stringers like Aranas, de Luna, Gomez invited instead of Biado :LOL:

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Top 8 in Matchroom World Rankings are seeded while the other unseeded players will be drawn to play the seeds

wpm seeded.jpg

unseeded.jpg

Atorontopoolplayer

sky would have made it if all 16 were off the rankings, he is number 16. also kazakis is number 15. the promotor picked aranas and hoang instead, presumably for filipino and vietnamese representation. i think two wildcards is ok
Right, I am just saying he has an Avenue to guarantee an invite, if you leave it up to wildcards you are at mercy of powers that be and whatever whims.
Anyways it's a pretty stacked field , I am looking forward to it

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
FSR v Aranas is rematch of last year's round 1 that Aranas won
Filler v Kaci is big match of round 1.
Bad draw for the 3 Austrians in bottom quadrant as they eliminate each other early

draw1.jpg

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
FSR v Aranas is rematch of last year's round 1 that Aranas won
Filler v Kaci is big match of round 1.
Bad draw for the 3 Austrians in bottom quadrant as they eliminate each other early

View attachment 753474

seeing the brackets, this is the toughest field i ever seen for this event. tough luck for filler/kaci and the austrians but it's tough for everyone! shane's match looks the softest but hoang eliminated him from two world championships last year

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
seeing the brackets, this is the toughest field i ever seen for this event. tough luck for filler/kaci and the austrians but it's tough for everyone! shane's match looks the softest but hoang eliminated him from two world championships last year
Agreed, this event had some pretty soft fields until about 2010, but it has become an incredibly difficult event to win. No easy draws here.