R There Any Top Level Pro's that DON'T usa a LD Shaft?

Pangit

Banned
If there are...I'd like to shake his hand. Back in the day you had to use your head and figure out all the Squim/Squibble/Throw/Push/Deflection...etc..

I still don't use one. That old trusty solid straight maple shaft throw's big wide curve balls... but I know how she throws. Call me Johnny Bench.

What about an "Old School Tourney" Jump shot's are legal...Jump cues are-not. No LD shaft's?

nathandumoulin

WPBL / RUNOUT MEDIA
Silver Member
Rodney Morris doesn't use one. Mika tried to convert him over the other day, but he changed his mind a few hours later.

Goldcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ja

Johnny Archer said in a TAR podcast a few months ago that he has never used one either. Said he was already set in his ways by the time they came out.

fram6878

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought rodney used a predator shaft before?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe Shuff uses off the shelf Kent Davis shafts...

And a few years ago, he was flipping back/ forth with Predators. I have no idea how he did that.

Schwinn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought rodney used a predator shaft before?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I've seen him using a Pierce cue but can't say about the shaft.

Another good example is Shane who got to where he is by using schon/joss. Don't recall which.

maxeypad2007

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We can all agree on the observation at least that the vast majority of the top players everywhere for the non-slow games (1p/bank) are using LD shafts.

I don't see golf tournaments where players are out using clubs from the 60s so why should we apply the same logic to pool. It wouldn't be a fair comparison anyway since the player who has been playing with a normal shaft would have that advantage (no adjustments required).

Times change, equipment changes.

I gotta ask, why have you never bothered trying an LD shaft? Given the number of top players that are using them even without sponsorship perhaps there is something to it.

I use one and I only switched in the last year. Using an LD shaft has improved my game by at least a half a ball or more.

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
Mr. 400 John Schmidt doesn't...he tried one a while back and had a hard time when he decided to go back to non-LD. There was a thread a couple of years back where someone went to DCC and quizzed everyone there about their cues/shafts and reported the results. It was interesting, IIRC, a little less than half used LD. Lots of mid-range production cues, even from those NOT sponsored; very few high end customs. LOTS of Predators among those that chose to use LD. Since the informal poll, the number may have creeped up over to a little more than half now having gone LD, but that's a guess.

Here in Cyprus, virtually everyone that shoots seriously plays with a Predator 314-2--and I mean EVERYONE. Some of that is due to the top two players using them and there being one major supplier that only sells Predator...not me, I generally don't like LD shafts. That said, I tried a 314-2 (first time I've really tried a Predator since the early 90s) a couple of weeks ago and really liked it. But not enough to jump over to the dark side!

Last edited:

jhanso18

Broken Lock
Silver Member
There are a lot of higher end makers, that build cues with LESS deflection than average. I've seen plenty of guys break and run with out LD shafts. I personally don't like the feel of any LD shafts I've played with.

best,

Justin

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
the good golf clubs of the 70's that gave an advantage became outlawed in golf. golfers nowadays play much better than golfers of old. balls mostly account for that and they are better athletes.

in pool there hasnt been a clear cut case that any other shaft is better. mostly lesser players believe they make a difference. they worry about the tips on the cue and even which chalk they use as that makes them play better. most current pool players dont play any or much better than the players of old with old equipment.

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
Do you remember the tennis great Jimmy Conners and the Wilson Sporting Goods Jimmy Conners tennis racket? It was the first non-wood (metal) tennis racket. Conners won many major championships with it.

Wilson sold millions of them...and millions of tennis players couldn't hit the broad side of barn with it! It was totally uncontrollable.

When asked in an interview about how hard it was to play with a metal racket, Conners simply said, "We're professionals. We could be out there playing with two-by-fours and it wouldn't make any difference."

It's the Indian, not the arrow.

It's like the TAR interview when they asked Johnny Archer about The Measle Ball vs. the Red Circle Ball. His attitude was "Who cares? We're professionals and we have to be able to play with anything."

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
The technology advancements in golf equipment in the last 10 to 15 years (let alone 30 or 40) are so significant as to make the two sports not even close to comparable. However, I just recently jumped on the LD shaft bandwagon at Christmas and I love it so far. I'd say there is a marked improvement in what I'm able to do now as opposed to before with the cueball, but I do think there is an adjustment period before it helps me improve my overall game.