What is the "REAL" Reason no US Organization?

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
In my opinion you are all correct. Pool has to support itself before someone will inject money into it. Its a crying shame that 2 US players were invited to the wtbc and couldnt afford to go.

This is a BS excuse. If Sarah Rousey can find a way to go to the World Championships in China then the men could have found a way to go to the WC in the Philippines.

That example is not a "state of the sport" thing in my eyes. The players know far enough in advance to be able to arrange for expenses and sponsors and have enough time to decline if they can't meet those expenses.

Other than that, I fully agree with Mark's plan. And the reason that there is no organization has also been given.

The BCA, as the marketing organization for "pool" should be the logical choice to maintain a pro organization and run a pro tour in the absence of any such group run by the pros. But the BCA is pretty much useless.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... I used to think pool was a sport. Today, I believe pool to be a recreational game, much like croquet and badminton. ...

Well, lots of sports aren't too "sporty" when done just for recreation.

Whether pool is a sport may be debatable. But have you ever watched high-level badminton? It's every bit as much of a sport as the other racket sports (tennis, squash, table tennis, racquetball, etc.).

I still want to call pool a sport, too. At a high level, it involves throwing or swinging an object (the cue) with enormous precision and control using superb hand/eye coordination.

unknownpro

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is no Entry Fee, So the added money amounts to the figures above.

Everyone gets paid “Check In” money. If you never pot a single ball the you will still collect $700.

The objectives of the WPPPO are not to supplant any existing organisations but to address the fact that players do not have a voice or any input into how their game is run.

There are no membership fees to join the WPPPO...

There will be no sanction fees deducted from Prize Money...
Wow!:grin::grin:

Roy Steffensen

locksmith
Silver Member
Hey,
I know this tournament.
Hey, I know that guy Doug Gordon.
Hey, I don't know Prince Billah but it would be in pool's best interest to have someone as influential as Prince Billah to be involved with pool.

The WPPPO sounds like it might be something all pool players might be interested in.

Doug, you have a great reputation in Europe and around the world. As a tournament promoter you are gaining respect in the U.S. and I am personally looking forward to being involved with you and the Nigerian 9 Ball Championship.

Thanks for all you do for pool.

JoeyA

I think Joey said it the best, so I'm not writing a long post either, just adding my name to this document :)

I am delighted that I have been given the oppurtunity to be a part of this event. Thanks Doug.

Personnel
Tournament Promoter – Doug Gordon
Tournament Director - Roy Steffensen
TV Commentary, Publicist and Media Director
TV Commentary Anchor Man - Joey Aguzin
The Referees of The Nigerian and Iran Billiard Federation

Last edited:

duckie

GregH
Silver Member
What is the "real" reason that the players don't have a National Organization? The way the US is being treated by most of the other countries and their promoters we sure could use our own National Organization…like NOW.

My thinking is that if the pro players don't feel the need or have the desire to start one, why should anyone else?

If they want to make a decent living at pool, then they need to make it happen for themselves and the up and comers.

The bigger issue is the overall decline of the pool player.

Magik Wandzzzzz

Cue Builder Since 1973
Silver Member
Dieckman Sayzzzz

The United States Billiard Association [USBA] exists and is our national representative to The Pan- American Billiard federation, which in turn is a member of The Union Mondail du Billard [UMB or The World Billiard Union. While primarily concerned with carom billiards we welcome all pool players to join us if the are looking for a home.

www.usba.net

CrisDeLaGarza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool needs a reality show. The average non-pool playing public doesn't give a damn about the game. The most interesting thing about pool (to an outsider) are the characters involved in the sport. Showcase the lives of those players more than what is actually happening on the table and you'll grow a fan base.

But it's a catch 22, you need an interest in order to get the TV time, you need the TV time to get the sponsors and you need the sponsors to make it lucrative for the players. vicious cycle so where do you start?

oldzilla

Accu-Stats Messenger
Silver Member
i didnot read all this stuff but i'll tell you what pool does not have that other sports or games do. it is spectator excitment. if pool could get people to pay to watch and tv to buy in because people want to watch the excitment then everything else would fall in to place. face it, we think it's exciting but the normal joe who does not play pool or football will take a ticket to a football game over a pool match everytime. if i knew how to change that i would be very wealthy and all the poolplayers would be happily ever after.

pocketspeed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool needs a reality show. The average non-pool playing public doesn't give a damn about the game. The most interesting thing about pool (to an outsider) are the characters involved in the sport. Showcase the lives of those players more than what is actually happening on the table and you'll grow a fan base.

But it's a catch 22, you need an interest in order to get the TV time, you need the TV time to get the sponsors and you need the sponsors to make it lucrative for the players. vicious cycle so where do you start?

pool doesnt need a reality show. it needs to find a way to make watching the game interesting and exciting to nonplayers. if this were the case then each pool junkie that took a non poolplayer to a tourney could in turn get that person hooked building the fan base at the grass roots level. once there is a respectable fan base (ie customers) then non pool related sponsnors would be attracted. then money would flow.

brian

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member

you start introducing more kids to the game....thats where you start

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
i didnot read all this stuff but i'll tell you what pool does not have that other sports or games do. it is spectator excitment. if pool could get people to pay to watch and tv to buy in because people want to watch the excitment then everything else would fall in to place. face it, we think it's exciting but the normal joe who does not play pool or football will take a ticket to a football game over a pool match everytime. if i knew how to change that i would be very wealthy and all the poolplayers would be happily ever after.

I've got the product (game) and the domain name but not yet the sponsor. I'd like to launch it world wide but don't have the business/marketing experience needed to go that direction out of the box.
John Lewis told me if it's just me, I'll have to start local then go global, damn (he's right again). There are many good ideas here and many have been said over/over again. When you look at the demographics of this game, the real money and numbers are not the tournament players/gamblers (these are your first target group and the ones that'll watch it on tv once it gets going).
The www.worldpokertour.com never targeted the professional poker players, they created/developed and offered a game that gives the average joe blow (Moneymaker) a chance to win.
I flew down to AZ and visited Mike H. on my nickel this past year to see his response, and because of his imput and reaction (and lack of) to what I had at THAT time, I've finally figured out what was missing then held (3 more events) which bring out a few of the important factors Oldzilla said above. If there's someone interested out there in holding up the back end of this venture I'd like to test pilot the final product in our city of 500,000, confidentiality is expected (in writing) with disclosure.
BiL

oldzilla

Accu-Stats Messenger
Silver Member
I've got the product (game) and the domain name but not yet the sponsor. I'd like to launch it world wide but don't have the business/marketing experience needed to go that direction out of the box.
John Lewis told me if it's just me, I'll have to start local then go global, damn (he's right again). There are many good ideas here and many have been said over/over again. When you look at the demographics of this game, the real money and numbers are not the tournament players/gamblers (these are your first target group and the ones that'll watch it on tv once it gets going).
The www.worldpokertour.com never targeted the professional poker players, they created/developed and offered a game that gives the average joe blow (Moneymaker) a chance to win.
I flew down to AZ and visited Mike H. on my nickel this past year to see his response, and because of his imput and reaction (and lack of) to what I had at THAT time, I've finally figured out what was missing then held (3 more events) which bring out a few of the important factors Oldzilla said above. If there's someone interested out there in holding up the back end of this venture I'd like to test pilot the final product in our city of 500,000, confidentiality is expected (in writing) with disclosure.
BiL

thanks for taking note of my post bill. just want to say when i clicked the link in your signature it came up as broken. wondering why ! tyvm,zilla

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
thanks for taking note of my post bill. just want to say when i clicked the link in your signature it came up as broken. wondering why ! tyvm,zilla[/QUOT

Its NOT a link I just own the domain name, personally, I think it's the most important domain name to own if one is to successfully launch this particular league targeted for homeowners of tables (over 90% of tables each yr go into homes) its the root of the industry.
BiL

JesPiddlin

Designed by Mother Nature
Silver Member

I will not normally pay to watch any tv or stream. I have much better things I can do with my money and my life than pay to watch something on a screen.

I have free tv. If the free tv goes away, I have a mountain of things I MIGHT finally get done around here. :thumbup2:

Free tv has commercials for a reason... A large amount of people either won't or can't afford to pay to view. Commercials help pay the cost of the shows and offers advertising for the sponsors to help them get their products seen by the targeted audience. So, it ultimately helps everyone.

Not everyone can afford live stream, or will pay for it, either. This leaves you an audience who will pay and other streamers finding sponsors to pay, instead.

We get very excited about live streams and about some of the shows on tv, but we've never paid to watch something on tv, or online (except by being a sponsor, which makes us a good guy, because we help others see the streams for free). Only one live stream would have got my money for a PPV and that was only going to be for the last day or two of the tournament. But, all my guys were out by that time, so I lucked out and saved my money. :smile:

JesPiddlin

Designed by Mother Nature
Silver Member
... once there is a respectable fan base (ie customers) then non pool related sponsnors would be attracted. then money would flow.

I could get non-pool related sponsors attracted. It's who you approach, what you offer them and how you offer it to them that makes a difference.

You need someone who is into marketing to find your non-pool-related sponsors, so they will relate to their needs.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
thanks for taking note of my post bill. just want to say when i clicked the link in your signature it came up as broken. wondering why ! tyvm,zilla[/QUOT

Its NOT a link I just own the domain name, personally, I think it's the most important domain name to own if one is to successfully launch this particular league targeted for homeowners of tables (over 90% of tables each yr go into homes) its the root of the industry.
BiL

Hi Bill,

Just so you know when you post a domain name in this format www.thisismydomain.com the forum software makes it into a link.

If you don't want it to be a link then post it like this

worldbilliardtour.com without the www or just worldbilliardtour

I clicked on it expecting to see something. And truthfully something should be there if nothing more than a single page with a logo and a little text.

Because, you also need to be getting ranked and you want the search engines to put your domain in their index. So put up one page with a little something. If you don't have a host I will be happy to give you space so that the link does work and goes to a live page.

Best,

John