What is the "REAL" Reason no US Organization?

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It boils down to one question:

Is pool a sport, or is pool a game?

Therein lies the answer. :wink:

I used to think pool was a sport. Today, I believe pool to be a recreational game, much like croquet and badminton.

Thus, no need for an organization to play pool every Wednesday with my buddies on league night or the weekly $10 entry fee 9-ball tournament.

8ballEinstein

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
pro sports is all about entertainment. if the product was presented in an entertaining way then there would be a larger fan base and then more sponsorship, tv money, bigger gate receipts, concessions, merchandising ect. the wpba has had some success b/c they follow this model to a certain degree. they make sure there stars are at every event. their stars cant compete outside without wpba sanctioning. there is plenty of chance to meet the players-the pro-am on Wed night, challenge matches, autograph opportunities, wpba merchandise. the venues are generally not pool rooms, but event venues that make for easier spectating. i think most pro pool players feel they can do better on their own and as long as they try to go it alone the sport will never move forward in the US.

brian

Man, I think you nailed it, pocketspeed. Watching pool on TV may be exciting to you and I (and even that can be challenged) because we play the game regularly. But for Joe Six-pack, he must get bored silly watching this game. Hardly any of the players show any personality. You might as well have robots playing. This is where guys like Earl are good for the game. They let it all hang out while the camera is rolling.

We must understand that we have to be in the entertainment business if we want to attract lots of viewers and eventually big money.

Why do we like The Hustler? It was entertaining!
Why did everyone like Minnesota Fats? He was entertaining!!
Why did a lot of young folks want to be like Vince in The Color of Money? That's right, he was entertaining!!!

Plain and simple, out product is not entertaining.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Man, I think you nailed it, pocketspeed. Watching pool on TV may be exciting to you and I (and even that can be challenged) because we play the game regularly. But for Joe Six-pack, he must get bored silly watching this game. Hardly any of the players show any personality. You might as well have robots playing. This is where guys like Earl are good for the game. They let it all hang out while the camera is rolling.

We must understand that we have to be in the entertainment business if we want to attract lots of viewers and eventually big money.

Why do we like The Hustler? It was entertaining!
Why did everyone like Minnesota Fats? He was entertaining!!
Why did a lot of young folks want to be like Vince in The Color of Money? That's right, he was entertaining!!!

Plain and simple, out product is not entertaining.

I wrote the EXACT SAME THING on this forum three or four years ago, and it was met with dissention by the majority of pool purists who post here. :sorry:

They would rather watch pool in a church-like setting, where you can hear a pin drop, and the emotionless robotic players play mum pool.

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
lyn,

i'm gonna have to respectfully disagree with you here. placing the olympics tag on pool wont make it anymore entertaining for US public. hasnt the olympics declined in viewer share steadily over the years? i dont think the US public really cares that much about the olympics anymore. also pool appears to be very healthy in asia and europe without the olympic tag. grass roots, getting kids involved, school/college programs and making pool entertaining to grow the fan base. thats the way to go. if those steps are taken then maybe pro pool in the us will be more organized.

brian

Brian,

I was hoping one of our European or Asian members would step in and give us some guidance.

I believe Roy Steffensen wrote at length about how the Norwiegn sanctioning body recognizes local clubs. They recognize, train and promote young prospects. How tournaments are structured with payouts tied to the local clubs and the individuals. Each European country probably has a similar set up. I'm hoping Roy will see this post and correct whatever errors I've made in describing his post. Any errors are certainly not intentional. My excuse is I'm old and my memory is fading.

We have dozens of great young players. Some still waiting to be recognized. How will they be supported by the game we love? Adding fan base will grow the number of players (possibly consumers of billiard fare). But, as the thread title suggests, "why is there no single US organization". My answer again is Money. And that leads me to suggest each sanctioning body (BCAPL, VNEA, ACS, TAP, APA, UPA, CSI, etc) is vying for the golden ticket. Perhaps not from our viewpoint but from theirs, the US Olympic representative! At the highest level, pool is not about me and my love for the game. It is about money. Perhaps more accurately PROFIT!

If the number of Olympic viewers has declined, is it possible offering the programing on a variety of channels, at all hours of the day has saturated the audience? I don't need to watch basket weaving at three in the morning.

Finally, my guess is there are a lot of people here on AZ waiting for another "Hustler" movie to get the game going. That is a dream! Thank you for disagreeing. That is what these forums and threads are about!

Lyn

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is the "real" reason that the players don't have a National Organization? The way the US is being treated by most of the other countries and their promoters we sure could use our own National Organization…like NOW.

because everyone has their own idea and wont bend, kinda like the middle east, its been f'ed up for how long???? same with pool and sadly I dont see anything pulling it together except BIG BIG $$$$. pool players and people(myself included) are slaves to $$$$

so get the $$$ so big it buys everyone off and then pool will be organized.

pocketspeed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Brian,

I was hoping one of our European or Asian members would step in and give us some guidance.

I believe Roy Steffensen wrote at length about how the Norwiegn sanctioning body recognizes local clubs. They recognize, train and promote young prospects. How tournaments are structured with payouts tied to the local clubs and the individuals. Each European country probably has a similar set up. I'm hoping Roy will see this post and correct whatever errors I've made in describing his post. Any errors are certainly not intentional. My excuse is I'm old and my memory is fading.

We have dozens of great young players. Some still waiting to be recognized. How will they be supported by the game we love? Adding fan base will grow the number of players (possibly consumers of billiard fare). But, as the thread title suggests, "why is there no single US organization". My answer again is Money. And that leads me to suggest each sanctioning body (BCAPL, VNEA, ACS, TAP, APA, UPA, CSI, etc) is vying for the golden ticket. Perhaps not from our viewpoint but from theirs, the US Olympic representative! At the highest level, pool is not about me and my love for the game. It is about money. Perhaps more accurately PROFIT!

If the number of Olympic viewers has declined, is it possible offering the programing on a variety of channels, at all hours of the day has saturated the audience? I don't need to watch basket weaving at three in the morning.

Finally, my guess is there are a lot of people here on AZ waiting for another "Hustler" movie to get the game going. That is a dream! Thank you for disagreeing. That is what these forums and threads are about!

Lyn

i think i get what youre saying, but all those oganizations (except maybe UPA) are really schemes to collect us amateur's money. i'm sure at some level someone is making money off us, but until the pro's (that is the great players who make their living off the game) decide they want to organize it wont happen. i dont think it will happen b/c they like it the way it is. if there were more organization it be harder to make money for some. more competition, less opportunity for gambling, perhaps giving up gambling all together. how many other sports allow players to gamble on themselves, or their sport? yeah i think there is no real US organization b/c thats the way US pro players like it.

and i agree about waiting for the next hustler movie

brian

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Ghost, I think you are being naive. Money drives this sport. I don't for one minute believe the sanctioning bodies are there for our benefit.
They provide a service, nothing more. It is for profit at every level of the game.

More kids and parents learning the game? I'm all for that. If we do have more kids involved, what incentive do the individual organizers have to co-operate? Nothing has changed except for the sheer number of new players. More spoils for the winner! Perhaps I've just become to jaded to see the whole picture clearly. On the other hand, I may be correct. Only time will tell. Remember the title of this thread. It's not "how to grow the sport"!

Lyn

Of course money drives this sport. If more kids and parents get involved (especially the kids) as in afterschool programs, school leagues, college leagues, scholarship money etc... Then more money will be involved. Other big companies will see the benefit to pander to the children, as we all know kids get everything they want.

Now you talk about the governing bodies and you are right in what you said about them. With more people involved in the game and actually knowing the game intimately a huge BUCK will occur within the pool world towards the way things are run.

It happened in the Running boom in the 70's they got everyone involved and the AAU got shot to S**T.

Its not happening because theres only a few of us trying to buck it, add tons of up and comers and others and they will have no choice.

The kids are the future, they are going to bring the change, not the WPA, not the BCA, not even OBAMA.....THE DAM KIDS!

Kids that are involved are going to be very interested in anything pool, they are going to want to see it on tv more and the networks will see this, they are going to get mommy and daddy to bring them to see the big named players at the big tournaments and smaller ones too.

You know they said ken ken quarters was going to fail by turning the cue spot in tulsa into a family style pool hall, I stood by ken and believed that he would do it....and GUESS WHAT HAPPENED!

The palace closed, diamonds closed, magoos 2 opened and closed, and ken is doing just fine.

The kids are the next generation....they have to be trained to take over, if we don't the same heads are going to be doing the same thing....POWER IN NUMBERS BROTHER.

You think football, baseball, basketball and any other major sport would be anything without the prolific inclusion of childrens leagues, teams, clinics and programs....I THINK NOT.

Every sport and game on the planet is FOR KIDS, adults just got lucky and found a way to use those games as a money making career....they are all still kids games.

Roy Steffensen

locksmith
Silver Member
I have really gone tired about posting over this subject here on AZBilliards, but since you mentioned my post in the thread about WPA, I'll copy and paste it:

The WPA consist of members organizations from all over the world, check http://www.wpa-pool.com/index.asp?content=member

I know that the system is not working properly in USA, but in for example Europe it works like this.

I am a member of Kvitsoy Biljardklubb. This is a small poolclub, with only 20 members. Still, we have 1 vote at the yearly Genearl Meeting in the Norwegian Pool Federation. (Bigger clubs get more votes). Here we discuss things like new rules, tournaments, budget etc.

The Norwegian Pool Federation are responsible to make sure that there are tournaments all over the country, for juniors, women, men, in 8-ball, 9-ball, 10-ball and 14-1, and for all kind of levels. We have 7 yearly regional tournaments in Division 1 and Divison 2, and Division 3 tournaments each week. (5 regions)

Players in a lower division can play in tournaments in higher divisions. At the highest level we have 7 national tournaments, including the Norwegian Championships in 8-ball, 9-ball, 10-ball and 14-1. These tournaments are open to all Norwegians.

No tournaments are played with hcp, and there are little price money to get. We are playing for the ranking, and at the end of the year the top players at the National Ranking will get spots in the European Championships so they can represent Norway.

Players in lower divisions will move up a Division if their rankings are good.

The entryfees of each tournament, in all divisions, is split like this:
20 % Norwegian Pool Federation
20 % Pool Hall
20 % Club (local organizer, TD)
20 % Pricemoney
20 % Pricefund for the Norwegian Master, last tournament of the year.

A lot, if not all, European countries have a system like or similar to this.

Then we have the EPBF.

They have a European Tour, the Eurotour. Here players are fighting for points. This tour is open for all players, but many countries/federations choose to sponsor their best players, based on the national ranking, into these tournaments.

The ranking on the Eurotour + the European Championships determines who will go to World Pool Masters, Mosconi Cup, World 8-ball, World 14-1, World 9-ball, World Ten Ball, Qatar Open, China Open, Philippine Open and the rest of the new WPA Tour.

All members/countries of the EPBF have the right to compete at the European Championships, in 8-ball, 9-ball, 14-1 and Teams.

I believe that the WPA's goal is to build organisations like this all over the world, make sure that all tournaments are played with the same rules, same format, using proper dresscode etc.

Now we have tournaments in 6-ball, 7-ball, 8-ball, 9-ball, 1-pocket, banks, rotation, 14-1, 6-pocket, 10-ball, trickshots, carom, snooker, 6ball snooker etc.

WPA wants to limit the games to as few as possible, to make it easier for the public and players, and their "sanctioned" games as of now are only 8-ball, 9-ball, 10-ball and 14-1.

The WPA's job is to make sure that every country has a chance of playing in a World Championship. If a Norwegian wants to compete in the World Ten Ball Championship he will have to perform well at either the Eurotours or at the European Championships, or to win a qualifier.

Since the WPA is trying to make pool more like a sport, they need to have certain rules for how tournaments are held, and what can be approved as a WPA-sanctioned tournament. You have different kind of levels here, and I believe World Championships are the highest level.

At a World Championship you have to provide a certain amount of $$$, referees etc.

I believe Dragon failed on atleast those two criterias this time, unfortunately, and I think the decision of the WPA was good.

I have probably done some mistakes in this post, and hope other people can correct it if so. Anyway, I hope I have helped some of you to understand why we need a WPA, and why we all should support it.

Brian,

Lyn

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
because everyone has their own idea and wont bend, kinda like the middle east, its been f'ed up for how long???? same with pool and sadly I dont see anything pulling it together except BIG BIG $$$$. pool players and people(myself included) are slaves to $$$$

I'm working on it partner....got damit thats why I got out of the game seriously because I had to get my life on track to do something this big. Become part of the corporate world....aint no pretty face golden boy such as corey duel or even pretty ol me is going to do anything for the game with just a face. My making it in the business world is the only way I see that I personally can do anything for this game.

Which is why I spend so much time writing and reading on here( much less all the idle thoughts i jot down in my notebooks), developing new ideas to spread it to the masses of youngsters out there....god willing I can someday see something come out of it.

Everyone else can stand there and just b***H about the situation I am trying to do something about it, along with guys like Marcus Norwood, Jay Helfert, Scott Lee and many others but we are too few.

I CHALLENGE ALL OF YOU TO GET UP AND DO SOMETHING...YOU SAY THE GAME MEANS THE WORLD TO YOU? FUKING PROVE IT!

your friendly neighborhood pool hall,
Grey Ghost

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

i'll say it again, its just about $$$$ nothing else.

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
And I thought I understood the thread title! Looking at it from the perspective of other posters, I assumed (shame on me) we were talking about one US sanctioning body to run all aspects of the game(s) of pool. Perhaps I mis-understood the title.

My guess is we all agree the game of "pool" is dying. We are all looking for ways to get all aspects of the game going. If we are only interested in saving "pro" pool, we have NO chance. It appears to be dying in this country of it's own dead weight. Saving the entry level is of prime importance. The rest of the game will eventually benefit. Guess it may be known as the "trickle up" effect.

If we really are talking about one US pool organization sanctioning every part of the game, see my first post.

Lyn

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
And I thought I understood the thread title! Looking at it from the perspective of other posters, I assumed (shame on me) we were talking about one US sanctioning body to run all aspects of the game(s) of pool. Perhaps I mis-understood the title.

My guess is we all agree the game of "pool" is dying. We are all looking for ways to get all aspects of the game going. If we are only interested in saving "pro" pool, we have NO chance. It appears to be dying in this country of it's own dead weight. Saving the entry level is of prime importance. The rest of the game will eventually benefit. Guess it may be known as the "trickle up" effect.

If we really are talking about one US pool organization sanctioning every part of the game, see my first post.

Lyn

now you got it partner green to you pal

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
A comparison with early 70's computer clubs has several similarities to the existing state of the pool industry. Both are interesting to special markets. Both rely heavily
on local support. The differences are in the growth of the industries. The computer
geeks were able to find a way to make their product attractive. The pool hustlers have not made their service attractive enough.

A contrast with other professional sports today reveals that the billiards events
do not create a place to market to a mass audience. The billiard organizers operate a competition and not a spectator event.

The main problems are attracting people to the event, getting people interested in the sport and keeping them happy once they are there.

Most billiard events I attended operated like a bad party with party goers not sure of where to be or what to be doing. If I was at the party I would most likely think the entrance is where the entertainment was.

If the billiards industry was going to fail it would've years ago. But the community is alive and well, getting to the transnational corporate sponsor level is a common problem.

Last edited:

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Oh what the hell! It's almost 1am here and I was just about to go to bed. But I never could resist a challenge. So here goes.

World Professional 9 Ball Pool Championship.
The tournament will be called the World Professional 9 Ball Pool Championship.

The published prize fund will be $320.000. and there is another $40,000 available to fund Rack Running Prize Awards.

The cash prize fund will amount to $288,000 plus we will pay a further $32,000 IN SUBSIDIES to participating players. This takes it up to $320,000 and there is another $40,000 available to fund Rack Running Prize Awards. Targets are - run 11 to win a $40,000 automobile. Run 10 and you get a pair of jetskis and for 9 you will win a luxury cruise for two people.

There is no Entry Fee, So the added money amounts to the figures above.

Everyone gets paid “Check In” money. If you never pot a single ball the you will still collect $700.

There will be 96 players in the field consisting of 32 primary seeds plus 24 secondary seeds including four ladies. The rest of the field is filled out with the Winners of worldwide qualifying tournaments. Schedules are still to be be confirmed but these include tournaments in the USA under the auspices of

The format will be – 64 players will play down to 32. These will play against the 32 seeded players
with the winner going on to the final 64. So unseeded players must win two matches for the Last 64 while seeds only need to win one match to qualify to 64.
This will leave 64 players with a One Win/ One Loss status. They face each other for another chance to stay in the tournament.

All matches at this stage are race to 8 winner breaks. Break from the box. Balls not tapped in.
Set up with wooden rack. Rack your own balls but referee to inspect and approve before rack commences. All 9 Balls must be potted to claim racks.
From last 64 it will be same conditions but sudden death knockout now Round One and Two will be Race to 9. Round Three and Quarter Finals Race to 10. Final and Semi Finals Race to 11,

The TV Production will be handled by Boulder Creek TV and their Associates. They will be providing live content for the major networks in Europe, Asia and Africa.

New presentation of matches with central Camera Pod covering four tables . Two will primarily feature Asian players and two will feature Euro and USA players, Action presented in Golf Style – action from the Tee, Fairway, Green and the Crowd. Circular Commentary box located above Camera Pod with TV Studio at next level up. HD Quality output – see separate equipment list.

Pool Town – an interactive public area for fans to meet and mix with players who will be coaching, playing, giving tips, signing autographs during the whole of the event. Dealer/Vendor Booths are available for advance bookers. The booked space will be charged at a rate of ZERO, ZILCH, NOT ONE THIN DIME. It is free! There may be some nominal basic charges for construction) and all vendors will be required to meet minimum construction standards. That's it, no catches. Well there is one. Vendors will not sell anything direct to the public. Prospective customers will pay for goods at a central purchase point. They will then be issued with a voucher which they can redeem at the vendor's stand. Monies owed to vendors will be available the following morning subject to a negotiable commission. This may be as low as 5% or up to 15% depending on goods/services offered.

The Nigerian National 9 Ball Championship will be designated The President's Cup in homage to President Yar'Adua. This will produce three competitors from the Host Country.

As a curtain raiser to the event there will be an elaborate Opening Ceremony. This will showcase areas of Nigerian culture as well as a Challenge Match between Daryl Peach and Roberto Gomez.
This rerun of the 2008 WPA World 9 Ball final and will be staged in the Presidential Villa (Palace) in front of a VIP audience.

The soccer World Cup kicks off five days after the Championship final and celebrity soccer players will be invited to watch the final and we are hoping to stage a Pro Celebrity Pool Tournament.

The tournament will run from 29th May until 6th June and will include a rest day.

All players/officials will leave from Central Continental Hubs – Europe will leave via London Heathrow on , USA – Atlanta, Asia – Singapore.

We have a dedicated travel agency in Houston, TX which will negotiate the best prices for all players and officials. Players are initially responsible for their own tickets/accommodation but will be paid their subsidy prior to departure from above hubs. The hotel is The Hilton Exclusive in Abuja, Nigeria's new high security capital city.

Sponsorship is in stage payments deposited at The First National Bank of Texas in Houston TX.
The Prize Fund will be deposited in a separate account by 1st March 2010 (3 months prior to the event) and will be released on the signature of myself and one other independent but respected figure in the Billiards industry, thus guaranteeing the Prize Fund in full.

The balance of the sponsorship (running costs) will have been paid prior to the 1st Match

I am grateful to have the support of many influential and trusted people helping me to put this together. I think that this might be a good moment for them to add their own names to this document.

Personnel
Tournament Promoter – Doug Gordon
Tournament Director -
TV Commentary, Publicist and Media Director
TV Commentary Anchor Man- JoeyA :smile:The Referees of The Nigerian and Iran Billiard Federation

Players participating in the tournament will be granted Membership of the World Professional Pool
Players Organisation, the WPPPO. This will be a player driven organisation and all players will be invited to attend a meeting during the rest day. Here they will be given a chance to put their views forward on how they would like the game to progress.
The Board of the WPPPO will consist of five players and three non playing persons.
I will fulfil the role of Chairman and I have invited two other leading industry figure to join me to serve until June 2010. The five players will come from nominations from their fellow players.

The objectives of the WPPPO are not to supplant any existing organisations but to address the fact that players do not have a voice or any input into how their game is run.

There are no membership fees to join the WPPPO and apart from the 96 players playing in Nigeria there will be between 250 and 300 more players who by decree of their playing records would qualify them to be Professional Founder Members.

There will be no sanction fees deducted from Prize Money and all monies from the Last 32 on will be paid into players bank within seven days of the final. Players placed 33 to 96 will receive cash payments before they leave the country..

I have invited Prince Al-Muhtadee Billah, Crown Prince of Brunei to serve as Honary President of the Players Organisation. He will have also been invited by President Yar'Adua to pay a State Visit to Nigeria during the event
There will be a Players List published later this week

That's it for tonight. I am off to sleep and will provide information and answer questions in about 10 hours from now.

I HAVE DELIBERATELY HIDDEN THIS POSTING HERE UNTIL TOMORROW WHEN I WILL REPOST IT UNDER A DIFFERENT TOPIC

Hey,
I know this tournament.
Hey, I know that guy Doug Gordon.
Hey, I don't know Prince Billah but it would be in pool's best interest to have someone as influential as Prince Billah to be involved with pool.

The WPPPO sounds like it might be something all pool players might be interested in.

Doug, you have a great reputation in Europe and around the world. As a tournament promoter you are gaining respect in the U.S. and I am personally looking forward to being involved with you and the Nigerian 9 Ball Championship.

Thanks for all you do for pool.

JoeyA

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Now thats what i"m talking about tap tap

Oh what the hell! It's almost 1am here and I was just about to go to bed. But I never could resist a challenge. So here goes.

The published prize fund will be $320.000. and there is another $40,000 available to fund Rack Running Prize Awards.

The cash prize fund will amount to $288,000 plus we will pay a further $32,000 IN SUBSIDIES to participating players. This takes it up to $320,000 and there is another $40,000 available to fund Rack Running Prize Awards. Targets are - run 11 to win a $40,000 automobile. Run 10 and you get a pair of jetskis and for 9 you will win a luxury cruise for two people.

Everyone gets paid “Check In” money. If you never pot a single ball the you will still collect $700.

There will be 96 players in the field consisting of 32 primary seeds plus 24 secondary seeds including four ladies. The rest of the field is filled out with the Winners of worldwide qualifying tournaments. Schedules are still to be be confirmed but these include tournaments in the USA under the auspices of

The format will be – 64 players will play down to 32. These will play against the 32 seeded players
with the winner going on to the final 64. So unseeded players must win two matches for the Last 64 while seeds only need to win one match to qualify to 64.
This will leave 64 players with a One Win/ One Loss status. They face each other for another chance to stay in the tournament.

All matches at this stage are race to 8 winner breaks. Break from the box. Balls not tapped in.
Set up with wooden rack. Rack your own balls but referee to inspect and approve before rack commences. All 9 Balls must be potted to claim racks.
From last 64 it will be same conditions but sudden death knockout now Round One and Two will be Race to 9. Round Three and Quarter Finals Race to 10. Final and Semi Finals Race to 11,

The TV Production will be handled by Boulder Creek TV and their Associates. They will be providing live content for the major networks in Europe, Asia and Africa.

New presentation of matches with central Camera Pod covering four tables . Two will primarily feature Asian players and two will feature Euro and USA players, Action presented in Golf Style – action from the Tee, Fairway, Green and the Crowd. Circular Commentary box located above Camera Pod with TV Studio at next level up. HD Quality output – see separate equipment list.

Pool Town – an interactive public area for fans to meet and mix with players who will be coaching, playing, giving tips, signing autographs during the whole of the event. Dealer/Vendor Booths are available for advance bookers. The booked space will be charged at a rate of ZERO, ZILCH, NOT ONE THIN DIME. It is free! There may be some nominal basic charges for construction) and all vendors will be required to meet minimum construction standards. That's it, no catches. Well there is one. Vendors will not sell anything direct to the public. Prospective customers will pay for goods at a central purchase point. They will then be issued with a voucher which they can redeem at the vendor's stand. Monies owed to vendors will be available the following morning subject to a negotiable commission. This may be as low as 5% or up to 15% depending on goods/services offered.

The Nigerian National 9 Ball Championship will be designated The President's Cup in homage to President Yar'Adua. This will produce three competitors from the Host Country.

As a curtain raiser to the event there will be an elaborate Opening Ceremony. This will showcase areas of Nigerian culture as well as a Challenge Match between Daryl Peach and Roberto Gomez.
This rerun of the 2008 WPA World 9 Ball final and will be staged in the Presidential Villa (Palace) in front of a VIP audience.

The soccer World Cup kicks off five days after the Championship final and celebrity soccer players will be invited to watch the final and we are hoping to stage a Pro Celebrity Pool Tournament.

The tournament will run from 29th May until 6th June and will include a rest day.

All players/officials will leave from Central Continental Hubs – Europe will leave via London Heathrow on , USA – Atlanta, Asia – Singapore.

We have a dedicated travel agency in Houston, TX which will negotiate the best prices for all players and officials. Players are initially responsible for their own tickets/accommodation but will be paid their subsidy prior to departure from above hubs. The hotel is The Hilton Exclusive in Abuja, Nigeria's new high security capital city.

Sponsorship is in stage payments deposited at The First National Bank of Texas in Houston TX.
The Prize Fund will be deposited in a separate account by 1st March 2010 (3 months prior to the event) and will be released on the signature of myself and one other independent but respected figure in the Billiards industry, thus guaranteeing the Prize Fund in full.

The balance of the sponsorship (running costs) will have been paid prior to the 1st Match

I am grateful to have the support of many influential and trusted people helping me to put this together. I think that this might be a good moment for them to add their own names to this document.

Personnel
Tournament Director -
TV Commentary Anchor Man
The Referees of The Nigerian and Iran Billiard Federation

Players participating in the tournament will be granted Membership of the World Professional Pool
Players Organisation, the WPPPO. This will be a player driven organisation and all players will be invited to attend a meeting during the rest day. Here they will be given a chance to put their views forward on how they would like the game to progress.
The Board of the WPPPO will consist of five players and three non playing persons.
I will fulfil the role of Chairman and I have invited two other leading industry figure to join me to serve until June 2010. The five players will come from nominations from their fellow players.

The objectives of the WPPPO are not to supplant any existing organisations but to address the fact that players do not have a voice or any input into how their game is run.

There are no membership fees to join the WPPPO and apart from the 96 players playing in Nigeria there will be between 250 and 300 more players who by decree of their playing records would qualify them to be Professional Founder Members.

There will be no sanction fees deducted from Prize Money and all monies from the Last 32 on will be paid into players bank within seven days of the final. Players placed 33 to 96 will receive cash payments before they leave the country..

I have invited Prince Al-Muhtadee Billah, Crown Prince of Brunei to serve as Honary President of the Players Organisation. He will have also been invited by President Yar'Adua to pay a State Visit to Nigeria during the event

That's it for tonight. I am off to sleep and will provide information and answer questions in about 10 hours from now.

I HAVE DELIBERATELY HIDDEN THIS POSTING HERE UNTIL TOMORROW WHEN I WILL REPOST IT UNDER A DIFFERENT TOPIC

You have met and exceeded my challenge....I commend you my friend being a leader not a follower

Best wishes,
Grey Ghost

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yep... everybody wants to be "In Charge" & make the rules.... PLUS get the cash.

One coordinated organization could easily coordinate a great Pool Tournament every weekend in the United States. There are more than 52 major venues for holding a Major Tournament of 64 players (first come first served). Maybe hold back 10 slots for invitations the top 10 players, that have to be paid for, 2 weeks ahead of time.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JAM...Hey, mum pool is TOUGH! LOL Try playing mum pool for $10,000 a set...a lot harder than you think...especially with the audience sharking the players! Remember, mum pool means you can't say ONE word (to anyone), or you lose. Can you imagine players like Strickland and Sigel (among others) who respond to the audience all the time? LOL

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

They would rather watch pool in a church-like setting, where you can hear a pin drop, and the emotionless robotic players play mum pool.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a very impressive representation of how to stage a world-ranking event, in a foreign land, with the acceptance of, and support of the national government of the host country.

pro9dg...Sounds like you have all the details worked out, to a T! Best wishes for a successful event next year!

As far as why it won't happen here...look no further than what I bolded in red below. When we can't even WATCH live pool, on the world stage, how do you expect any grass roots audience to be built? The problem lies with who controls tv here in the U.S. (Primarily Comcast and GE...which are preparing to merge).

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Personnel
Tournament Director -
TV Commentary Anchor Man
The Referees of The Nigerian and Iran Billiard Federation

tom mcgonagle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As I've said before, "We're a third world nation when it comes to the game of pool. A bunch of small tribes with leaders that fight each other to the death to hold their territory. Instead of organizing, for the benefit of all the tribes, and having one powerful leader."