Russ Espiritu 2006 Custom Design Opinions

Kevin Lindstrom

14.1 Addict
Silver Member
Here is a cue that I had Russ Espiritu build to my design criteria. Let's here your opinions good or bad. Thanks

DSCN1648red.jpg

DSCN1652red.jpg

DSCN1658red.jpg

DSCN1670red.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN1648red.JPG
    DSCN1648red.JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 169
  • DSCN1652red.JPG
    DSCN1652red.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 143
  • DSCN1658red.JPG
    DSCN1658red.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 140
  • DSCN1670red.JPG
    DSCN1670red.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:

8-ball Rat

I'll eat you alive.....
Silver Member
:)

NICE NICE NICE!!! The veneer colors are great...and really make the points and ivory (I'm assuming) detailing jump out.

Super sharp cue!!

Rat

wehe4774

Pathfinder
curly maple are nice figured, and yes the veneer colors are great when combining with ebony windows and points!

nice cue you have, so lucky u~~ :p

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Kevin Lindstrom said:
Here is a cue that I had Russ Espiritu build to my design criteria. Let's here your opinions good or bad.

Everyone else can tell you about the good. I'll give you the bad. Metal in cues... I don't think it's a good idea.

Fred <~~~ needs to get Russ on the list

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
metal in cues?

Cornerman said:
Everyone else can tell you about the good. I'll give you the bad. Metal in cues... I don't think it's a good idea.

huh? please explain. :confused:

sweatinNbettin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ill take a swing at it. I think Fred is syaing that the metal could possibly expand or contract depending upon temp. conditions. Was I close Fred?

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
sweatinNbettin said:
Ill take a swing at it. I think Fred is syaing that the metal could possibly expand or contract depending upon temp. conditions. Was I close Fred?

That's it. Regardless of finishing techniques, the expansion and contraction of a material is based on the temperature. And most metals' rate of expansion and contraction is so different from woods that it's an uphill battle to try to keep the differences unnoticed. I think everyone has seen what happens to metal rings, regardless of what fabulous cuemaker built the cue.

Fred <~~~ was talking about ringwork, not joining techniques.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Cornerman said:
That's it. Regardless of finishing techniques, the expansion and contraction of a material is based on the temperature. And most metals' rate of expansion and contraction is so different from woods that it's an uphill battle to try to keep the differences unnoticed. I think everyone has seen what happens to metal rings, regardless of what fabulous cuemaker built the cue.

Fred <~~~ was talking about ringwork, not joining techniques.

that's the ticket though. some great makers know how to incorporate metal so it will never, being realistic to the normal playing life of a cue, visualy expand the finnish nor effect the the "playing" harmony of the cue. that's one of the advancements in cue building today. a big problem i see with metal being used in cues is the cue itself is not taken care of in the way it should be. this will affect the way the construction behaves also. :)

HIRUN526

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello Kevin,

That cue is a 10....beautiful design and the colors are perfect. Russ builds a real nice quality cue. As far as the metal in the cue looks great and don't worry about problems. I have 30 year old Palmers with nickel silver rings and the finish is excellent as well as other cues with metal inlays. Sometimes the metal will have an affect on a cue with a slight raising of the finish... if that happens send it to the cuemaker and he may have to do a little wet sand and re-polish.. no biggy.

Bottom line don't waste any time thinking about the metal as a negative!

Play with the cue and enjoy it. Now get down to the pool hall and run a six pack of racks.

JimBo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kevin Lindstrom said:
Here is a cue that I had Russ Espiritu build to my design criteria. Let's here your opinions good or bad. Thanks

]

I'll bite, and as always I am NOT looking for any flame war or to take over this post. Let me tear this cue apart and comment. A basic 4 point cue with notched diamonds in the points and mitered boxes with notched diamonds in the but, it's been done a thousand times right??? Design theft right??? Hell NO, this is a great cue and a great example. This is the crap I'm talking about, here is a perfect example of a classic design that Rus took and made his own. Sorry Kevin if it was your design, but it's the same point I am making. This is a traditional style cue with a modern flair to it. I love those diamonds and I love the cue. I really hope people get a better idea of what I post about with this cue, I love the cue and I love the inlay exicution.

Jim

zeeder

Will queue for cues
Silver Member
JimBo said:
I'll bite, and as always I am NOT looking for any flame war or to take over this post. Let me tear this cue apart and comment. A basic 4 point cue with notched diamonds in the points and mitered boxes with notched diamonds in the but, it's been done a thousand times right??? Design theft right??? Hell NO, this is a great cue and a great example. This is the crap I'm talking about, here is a perfect example of a classic design that Rus took and made his own. Sorry Kevin if it was your design, but it's the same point I am making. This is a traditional style cue with a modern flair to it. I love those diamonds and I love the cue. I really hope people get a better idea of what I post about with this cue, I love the cue and I love the inlay exicution.

Jim

It looks like some designs I've fooled around with. Maybe I should keep my sketches more close to hand! lol :D

Purdman

Banned
Hey Now!

That's a keeper Kevin! Russ makes a nice cue. Very solid hitting. Throw on a Moori med. and you in there with the best of em.
Purdman:cool:

Kevin Lindstrom

14.1 Addict
Silver Member
Talisman

Purdman said:
That's a keeper Kevin! Russ makes a nice cue. Very solid hitting. Throw on a Moori med. and you in there with the best of em.
Purdman:cool:
I have a Talisman Medium WB tip on the shaft with the Ivory ferrule. For the money I sure do like all the Talisman products