Russ Espiritu 2006 Custom Design Opinions

pharaoh68

Banned
skins said:
that's the ticket though. some great makers know how to incorporate metal so it will never, being realistic to the normal playing life of a cue, visualy expand the finnish nor effect the the "playing" harmony of the cue. that's one of the advancements in cue building today. a big problem i see with metal being used in cues is the cue itself is not taken care of in the way it should be. this will affect the way the construction behaves also. :)

Is this to say that the expansion will still be there but only when you run your fingers over it, or do these cuemakers know how to keep metal from pushing through finish altogether?

pharaoh68

Banned
As far as the cue goes, I'll be the first to admit that I am very opinionated. There are things that I like and things that I don't and I'm equally vocal about both.

I generally don't like Russ Espiritu cues. I couldn't even tell you why. I just always saw a lack of "perfection" in his work.

However, that being said, this cue definitely changes my opinions. I love it. The veneer choices were excellent and the points seem well-executed. As well, I love the elongated notched diamond. This cue is a beauty.

Kevin Lindstrom

14.1 Addict
Silver Member
long points

pharaoh68 said:
As far as the cue goes, I'll be the first to admit that I am very opinionated. There are things that I like and things that I don't and I'm equally vocal about both.

I generally don't like Russ Espiritu cues. I couldn't even tell you why. I just always saw a lack of "perfection" in his work.

However, that being said, this cue definitely changes my opinions. I love it. The veneer choices were excellent and the points seem well-executed. As well, I love the elongated notched diamond. This cue is a beauty.
I think alot of people are leary of Espiritu cues for whatever reason. This is an awful lot of cue for the price I paid. Sure I would have loved to have this same configuration from the likes of Scruggs, Hercek, Searing, Mottey and Joss West to name a few but it would have been well out of my budget for sure. I am very happy to have this cue as part of my modest collection.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
pharaoh68 said:
Is this to say that the expansion will still be there but only when you run your fingers over it, or do these cuemakers know how to keep metal from pushing through finish altogether?

some makers are very successful at incorporating metal so you can't even feel the expansion let alone see it move the finnish. i think one of the tricks is to use in moderation and avoid thicker inlays or rings. this shaft in the pic is 10 years old and has seen the world so to speak and the silver ring work is as perfect as the day it was new, absolutely smooth finnish. this is only one small example but there are many ways to use metals in cues and not have any issues.

shaftring1.jpg

Kevin Lindstrom

14.1 Addict
Silver Member
Metal ringwork

I have a number of cues with silver (metal) ringwork in them and have had no problems with them as of yet. Not to say it couldn't happen, but I try very hard not to expose my cues to extreme temperatures and/or extreme temperature changes. If I get any "lifting" of the finish near or on the rings I guess I will either have to live with it or else invest a few bucks to have a cue refinished.

TellsItLikeItIs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
skins said:
i think one of the tricks is to use in moderation and avoid thicker inlays or rings.
"moderation" being a keyword! Stack 2,3, or 4 NS rings close together and a person is asking for trouble.

Kevin Lindstrom

14.1 Addict
Silver Member
not too many rings

TellsItLikeItIs said:
"moderation" being a keyword! Stack 2,3, or 4 NS rings close together and a person is asking for trouble.
I like silver ringwork in moderation and also symetrical.