Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Shafts - is laminated better?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Shafts - is laminated better?
Old
  (#1)
Gogafem
AzB Silver Member
Gogafem has a reputation beyond reputeGogafem has a reputation beyond reputeGogafem has a reputation beyond reputeGogafem has a reputation beyond reputeGogafem has a reputation beyond reputeGogafem has a reputation beyond reputeGogafem has a reputation beyond reputeGogafem has a reputation beyond reputeGogafem has a reputation beyond reputeGogafem has a reputation beyond reputeGogafem has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500
  Send a message via MSN to Gogafem Send a message via Yahoo to Gogafem Send a message via Skype™ to Gogafem 
Post Shafts - is laminated better? - 03-02-2013, 05:20 AM

What is the main difference?

George Femic, game developer at GGames and pool player.

Playing cues:
-Poison AR5
-Lucasi Hyrbid LH10
Break/jump cue: Fury JBWI - black break jump with tech grip
Jump cues:
-Poison VX Jump Striker(Green) - VX2
-Lucasi Hybrid Air Hog

Older cues I still have:
-Fury Conqueror FCP-7 playing cue(First cue)

Opinion
Old
  (#2)
franko
AzB Silver Member
franko has a reputation beyond reputefranko has a reputation beyond reputefranko has a reputation beyond reputefranko has a reputation beyond reputefranko has a reputation beyond reputefranko has a reputation beyond reputefranko has a reputation beyond reputefranko has a reputation beyond reputefranko has a reputation beyond reputefranko has a reputation beyond reputefranko has a reputation beyond repute

Opinion - 03-02-2013, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogafem View Post
This is just my opinion.I think the main advantage is they are more consistent.If something happened to your laminated shaft as compared to a Maple shaft it is easier to replace the laminated one.Jim Buss (I think ) wrote an article years ago, saying that the more you play with a maple shaft the more the fibers in the wood break down .This happens very gradually and you are also adjusting to that hit and feel.If this shaft needs to be replaced , even using an exact shaft from the same cue maker that whole process needs to start all over again. The period of adjust depends on the wood and how much you are playing etc.With a laminated it is almost like the McDonald's busn. Approach, you can eat ones of their burgers in NY or Calf. And they are the same.Something happens to your laminated shaft just get a new one, the adjustment period is minimal.

Old
  (#3)
Tramp Steamer
One Pocket enthusiast.
Tramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond reputeTramp Steamer has a reputation beyond repute

03-02-2013, 07:31 AM

Necessity, being the mother of invention, was the reason for the development of the laminated shaft, and the necessity, of course, was strength.
To build a shaft that has material removed from the tip end to reduce mass, and a shaft with sometimes as much as a fifteen inch pro taper, it had to be strong enough to resist warping over the course of it's life.
In my opinion the Predator, and OB, has done this, and I'm sure there are others.

Steamer Cue Sports Ltd. Purveyor of two fine quality cues, the Miracle, and the Wonder. Our motto says it all: "If it's a good cue, it's a Wonder." "If it's a straight cue, it's a Miracle."

Tramplock: Member in good standing in the Lock Society.

Old
  (#4)
LAMas
AzB Silver Member
LAMas has a reputation beyond reputeLAMas has a reputation beyond reputeLAMas has a reputation beyond reputeLAMas has a reputation beyond reputeLAMas has a reputation beyond reputeLAMas has a reputation beyond reputeLAMas has a reputation beyond reputeLAMas has a reputation beyond reputeLAMas has a reputation beyond reputeLAMas has a reputation beyond reputeLAMas has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

03-02-2013, 07:53 AM

If a maple shaft is fabricated from the outside of the log, it will have lateral rings like plywood. The deflection characteristics are different if one hits in grain vs. out of grain. the red and black dot parallel laminated shafts proffered this.

The radial laminated shafts like Predator, OB and Tiger and others are uniform in their hit 360 degrees around.

dumluk

Old
  (#5)
skierlawyer
AzB Silver Member
skierlawyer has a reputation beyond reputeskierlawyer has a reputation beyond reputeskierlawyer has a reputation beyond reputeskierlawyer has a reputation beyond reputeskierlawyer has a reputation beyond reputeskierlawyer has a reputation beyond reputeskierlawyer has a reputation beyond reputeskierlawyer has a reputation beyond reputeskierlawyer has a reputation beyond reputeskierlawyer has a reputation beyond reputeskierlawyer has a reputation beyond repute

03-02-2013, 07:57 AM

I play with a 40 year old maple shaft. Still hits better than anything else I've tried, and I've tried a lot.

Old
  (#6)
3andstop
Focus
3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute

03-02-2013, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramp Steamer View Post
Necessity, being the mother of invention, was the reason for the development of the laminated shaft, and the necessity, of course, was strength.
To build a shaft that has material removed from the tip end to reduce mass, and a shaft with sometimes as much as a fifteen inch pro taper, it had to be strong enough to resist warping over the course of it's life.
In my opinion the Predator, and OB, has done this, and I'm sure there are others.
I can't disagree with that, I feel it's all very true. But, on the other hand, I have never paid more than 35 bucks for a shaft, if that. So, should it warp, I'll get another. In my wildest dreams, I couldn't see myself paying 200+ dollars for 3 oz of wood.

I've been using the current one for 4 years, it has an 18 to 20 inch 12.5 pro taper that I did on my trusty Dewalt drill and it hasn't warped yet.

Old
  (#7)
YBA
AzB Silver Member
YBA has a reputation beyond reputeYBA has a reputation beyond reputeYBA has a reputation beyond reputeYBA has a reputation beyond reputeYBA has a reputation beyond reputeYBA has a reputation beyond reputeYBA has a reputation beyond reputeYBA has a reputation beyond reputeYBA has a reputation beyond reputeYBA has a reputation beyond reputeYBA has a reputation beyond repute

03-02-2013, 12:05 PM

Glue! Kidding ;-)

Old
  (#8)
Badbeat13
"LET IT RIDE"
Badbeat13 has a reputation beyond reputeBadbeat13 has a reputation beyond reputeBadbeat13 has a reputation beyond reputeBadbeat13 has a reputation beyond reputeBadbeat13 has a reputation beyond reputeBadbeat13 has a reputation beyond reputeBadbeat13 has a reputation beyond reputeBadbeat13 has a reputation beyond reputeBadbeat13 has a reputation beyond reputeBadbeat13 has a reputation beyond reputeBadbeat13 has a reputation beyond repute

03-05-2013, 04:16 PM

Maple all the way for me. The good cue makers know not to rush to make a high quality maple shaft. I think they stand the test of time if they're made right and you take care of them. JMO

Old
  (#9)
Cornerman
Cue Author...Sometimes
Cornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond repute

03-05-2013, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogafem View Post
I don't understand the question or some of the answers.

Freddie

Hunger is the best seasoning
--------

Name: Freddie Agnir
Shooting Cue: Schuler
Breaking Cue:Gilbert

Playing time: zero
--------

Old
  (#10)
one stroke
AzB Silver Member
one stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond repute

03-05-2013, 04:36 PM

If less deflection is the standard the Yes
There is a reason why so many play with one

Old
  (#11)
rayjay
some of the kids
rayjay has a reputation beyond reputerayjay has a reputation beyond reputerayjay has a reputation beyond reputerayjay has a reputation beyond reputerayjay has a reputation beyond reputerayjay has a reputation beyond reputerayjay has a reputation beyond reputerayjay has a reputation beyond reputerayjay has a reputation beyond reputerayjay has a reputation beyond reputerayjay has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1225

03-05-2013, 04:51 PM

Is plywood "better" than straight-grain, hard-rock, old-growth maple? Depends on what you're using it for.

Old
  (#12)
JC
AzB Silver Member

JC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond repute

03-05-2013, 05:02 PM

The laminated predator shafts I have owned all had one thing in common. They were soft and very susceptible to dings. I got tired of it and got rid of them. I guess this is the by product of being made from scrap wood that is dried out too fast. I'll take solid maple any day. The good ones I have seem never to warp.

JC

The grass is greener where it gets watered

There's no such thing as a bad shot. Someone is always happy about it.

"If you don't have anything nice to say, you must be talking about Hillary Clinton"
Jeff Foxworthy

Old
  (#13)
one stroke
AzB Silver Member
one stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond repute

03-05-2013, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjay View Post
Is plywood "better" than straight-grain, hard-rock, old-growth maple? Depends on what you're using it for.
Micro-lam would be a better comparison and it would be better for anything that was needed for strength rock hard maple would be better for trim

Old
  (#14)
Delaware Lar
AzB Silver Member
Delaware Lar has a reputation beyond reputeDelaware Lar has a reputation beyond reputeDelaware Lar has a reputation beyond reputeDelaware Lar has a reputation beyond reputeDelaware Lar has a reputation beyond reputeDelaware Lar has a reputation beyond reputeDelaware Lar has a reputation beyond reputeDelaware Lar has a reputation beyond reputeDelaware Lar has a reputation beyond reputeDelaware Lar has a reputation beyond reputeDelaware Lar has a reputation beyond repute

03-05-2013, 08:53 PM

A laminated shaft won't warp. You can leave it in your car. I tried one but couldn't figure it out.

Old
  (#15)
Maxx
AzB Gold & Siver Member
Maxx has a reputation beyond reputeMaxx has a reputation beyond reputeMaxx has a reputation beyond reputeMaxx has a reputation beyond reputeMaxx has a reputation beyond reputeMaxx has a reputation beyond reputeMaxx has a reputation beyond reputeMaxx has a reputation beyond reputeMaxx has a reputation beyond reputeMaxx has a reputation beyond reputeMaxx has a reputation beyond repute

03-06-2013, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerman View Post
I don't understand the question or some of the answers.

Freddie
Is it possible to understand some of the answers without understanding the question?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: