2015 AZB Ghost Challenge - Official Thread

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
That makes sense. I've played on a bar table a handful of times and always found it harder to break and run out, but I always assumed it was because of the crappy equipment and beer goggles. I'd like to play on a nice 7' diamond someday.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I strongly feel any game is easier on a barbox. I tested this in 14.1 with over 100 innings on a diamond barbox and my GC4. Both with 860 and same size pockets. My ball pocketing probability was way way way better on the smaller table.

I think the "room to move the CB and less clusters" is a sound hypothesis, but untrue. No one I know of has actually sat down and played 100 innings on each table, kept stats, and reported them like I have.

Edit: Here is the 14-1 thread where I list the results of my experiment comparing the two table sizes. I welcome everyone else to try the same:) That is part of the scientific method. Have a hypothesis, test it, form a conclusion, then report the entire thing so that others can test it to see if they get the same result:)
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=344551

Last edited:

medallio

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah but in 14.1 you would have more shot options until the end game correct? I feel in 8 ball the congestion is worse on bar box making it tougher. I know the shots are easier though

Scott Brazier

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You play awesome. Very impressive to run out rotation on a 4x8. Thanks for the entertainment.

Whats your high finish in a tournament and your high rack run?

The video is unavailable due to a copyright claim. I've had that happen and asked YouTube to mute the audio. Apparently listening to certain music in the background will more than likely be copyright infringement. I play pool matches on YouTube with my phone plugged into my stereo and listen to the commentary.

I practice on my 10 footer everyday and I find it easier to run racks on a barbox. There may be more clusters but it is much easier to break clusters that are 2 feet away vs 8 feet away. Accuracy on a bigger table needs to be spot on.

I used to have a barbox and would play Bowliards all the time and my best run on a barbox was 3 consecutive games plus a few racks into the 4th game which ended up being a 435 ball run. On my 10 footer it is a completely different story, my best run is one perfect game "which is 120 balls" and made it into the 4th rack of the 2nd game and ended with a 157 ball run.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mmmmmm... I still don't buy it. ;) When I said the box was harder, I was ONLY talking about 8-ball. You would probably have to rack up thirty something balls to get the same congestion on a 10-footer that you get on the box playing 8-ball. Then you end up with basically a full rack of 15 balls (on the 10-ft) just hanging out that are not object balls and do nothing but tie your group up, block position routes, and block pockets.

Every other game is easier on the box, IMO. I can't speak for others, but I know my run out percentage is higher playing 8-ball on a bigger table.

Play 50 racks over a few days on a 9' with simonis, and then 50 racks on a 7' Diamond with simonis. Pick a 9' that has the same size pockets as the Diamond's either league cut or pro cut. The 7' has to be a Diamond because that's the only "real" 7' table.

Count up both the total number of balls you make per rack, and if you won the rack or not.

That's the only way to find out. I did this for 14.1 and it was not even close.

Scott Brazier

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mmmmmm... I still don't buy it. ;) When I said the box was harder, I was ONLY talking about 8-ball. You would probably have to rack up thirty something balls to get the same congestion on a 10-footer that you get on the box playing 8-ball. Then you end up with basically a full rack of 15 balls (on the 10-ft) just hanging out that are not object balls and do nothing but tie your group up, block position routes, and block pockets.

Every other game is easier on the box, IMO. I can't speak for others, but I know my run out percentage is higher playing 8-ball on a bigger table.

We will have to agree to disagree. When I had my barbox my buddy and I would race to 9 in 8-ball then in 9-ball and then play 14.1. I can tell you when we made the switch from the 7 foot to 10 foot, the 10 foot was by far more difficult. And maybe a 10 foot table is the reason. I haven't played on a 9 foot table but maybe 3-4 times in my life so I can't say how much more difficult a 10 footer is than the 9 foot table. I also know for a fact that our 8 ball pool league is all on barboxes and it is by far easier for me to run out an the barbox vs my 10 footer.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Beat the 10-ball ghost 7-5. No vid but it wouldn't have mattered. There was music playing on the juke box the whole time so it would've gotten muted.

It's not anything special but I haven't posted an entry in the 10-ball category yet.

I was breaking hard, as this 860 is well worn now, and played scratch on the break is a loss. No early combinations and no 10's on the break. Same table (the Diamond).

I ran the first three, lost five in a row, then ran the last four.
Have you tried the BU playing-ability exams yet? I'd be curious to see how you would do based on your stats on the ghost drills in this thread. If you do give it a go, please post your scores (and videos if available) on the AZB BU sticky thread.

Good luck,
Dave

medallio

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've seen some strong shooting in this thread. I'm interested to know what each person's status is around their area. Are you the best? One of the better players?etc etc