So I Joined the APA.. BIG Mistake

fast&loose designs

Chris Santana
Silver Member
Hey all. As some of you may already know, I joined the APA this season as a 9 ball captain in the San Gabriel Valley in SoCal just over 2 months ago because I was looking for a change in my game, my regular pool playing routine, and to make some new friends. What happened in a match just over a week ago is so appalling that I'm highly likely going to quit after only 1 season.

Before you think this is an APA bashing thread, you should read what happened.

For the most part, it's been fun. I haven't learned anything new, but I've made some awesome new friends (all of whom were also new to the APA) - and for me that was enough to keep me on board. I haven't had to deal with much of the BS that I know goes on all the time in leagues, especially the APA. The most I've had to deal with is the occasional bickering from opponents about my skill level and those of my teammates. But that's a neverending story throughout all of the pool world, and I'm used to that, being a tournament director at different pool halls, I've dealt with the bickering before.

On our Thursday 9 ball match, we came up against a team named "999" - a team in 7th or 8th place captained by a guy named Tom Tao, while we were I believe tied for 2nd/3rd. Let me remind you that I'm new to the APA, as are all of the team members I have on my roster with me.

For most of the night, business is as usual, there are no incidents, and we are getting along well with our opponents, despite beating them in all first four matches, and we are leading 51-29. I started by playing my 4 against their 4, and won 12-8. Then my 5 beat their 4 12-8. I played the third match (I'm a 7) and beat their 6 13-7. In the fourth match, my 5 defeated their 5, 16-4. As you may have already figured out, I only have 2 points of the 23 left to use. However, I didn't remember to calculate for this, as my teammates' skill levels hadn't been too high before but by this week were high enough for me to not notice we were going over the cap. In the 5th match, I called another 5 after they threw out a 2.

Both players grabbed their gear, took some time to settle in, and lagged. After my player left for a brief few minutes to run to the restroom, he returned and broke. Immediately after breaking, Captain Tom Tao of the USS I'mLosingBadSoI'mGonnaBeAJackass, LEAPS off his barstool to come over to me and shout "You guys just lost. You've just forfeited ALL of your matches from the very beginning and we WIN. None of your points or wins matter anymore. You went over your 23 points and we win every game 15-0. We win tonight 75-0."

After being informed, I kinda stood there in shock, but I did remember that my division rep had told me very early on about a rule in which a forfeit occurs if you go over that 23 point cap. However, I had also remembered that if agreed upon, the captain could allow us to play it anyways, but it was up to him to make that call. So I asked if he would just let it go and let us play, or let me play my 2 or 3 instead, since I was new and forgot the rule. His response? "No. MY first season, some jerk did that to ME, so now I can do it. You can't play your 2 now because your 5 already broke."

I'm just standing there now, frustrated, and I try to rally his players to get him to change his mind and allow us to play. I'm telling them that this is NOT how pool is played, it's not how the sport progresses, and NO ONE should enjoy a win over a technicality that can be overruled if the captain is a reasonable human being. They aren't sure what to say or do, and keep their mouths shut. One girl on the team, the 2 who was supposed to play, is clearly not comfortable with the situation, and tells me she isn't comfortable talking to him or changing his mind. It's like they're all afraid of him. Meanwhile I'm still trying to get his players to talk him, but they continue packing their gear and collecting money.

While I'm getting in Tao's face and telling him he needs to man up and take a loss like he should, and allow us to play, he gets on the phone to call someone about the rule. At the same time, my player gets our division rep on the phone and she asks what's going on. I inform her, and she tells me that the rule he described is not correct. INSTEAD, we are to lose only the LAST match, where the infraction occurred. By this time I'm furious now, since I find out he lied to me. So I go back inside and try to rally his troops again, informing them about his lie, and he admits he was wrong, and whoever he had spoken to on the phone had informed him that it is only the LAST game that should be forfeited. Still, nothing from his team and I give up and start packing my things. I write in my score - 51-44, and get the hell out of the bar.

Then, on Sunday, I look up our scores and stats. And LO AND BEHOLD - what do I find? WE GOT ZERO POINTS. Naturally I get in touch with my rep again, and she tells me that Tao was right in the beginning - we lose the ENTIRE night and receive ZERO for all our wins. WHAT THE HELL?! We are thrown from 2nd/3rd to 9th. Awesome.

By this time I'm so frustrated with EVERYTHING, from Captain Jerk to the rules to the APA itself and how the situation was handled in general. My rep advises me to write a letter, which I did, explaining everything I've explained here, and tells me that the "Board of Directors" is going to meet and discuss my complaint. I have no idea what they would do - IF ANYTHING - to resolve this mess. I wrote in the letter that this guy needs to not only be captaining a team, but that he should be removed from the APA. Say what you want about rules - ethics and morals should trump those rules any day.

So the Board of Directors met yesterday, and - GUESS WHAT - NOTHING was done. I still don't have any points from that week, and Tom Tao is still captain.

Let's recap:

- I'm new, go over cap.
- Tom Tao calls upon a forfeit to save himself from losing horribly
- He gains a 15-0 victory on that match, which might have gone 15-5 in my favor
- So he gained about maybe 10 points in all of this
- He misinformed me about a rule
- After 2 phone calls, 2 people (representing the APA) I am told only the last match is forfeited
- I go home thinking I won 51-44
- Write a complaint
- Find out I got zero points that night
- Find out today that the board of directors accomplished nothing to resolve the issue

So what is the real problem here? I fully understand the need for a 23 point cap and I think it should exist, and know it is key to the "Equalizer" handicapper. But what should the penalty be for going over? Should it REALLY be receiving ZERO points? Why not make the penalty not so ridiculous? I didn't go over cap to be shady, to try and force a win, or any of that. We don't sandbag and I tell that to my team every week. I made an honest mistake, and my team who works hard at their game is penalized heavily for it.

Needless to say, I won't be returning to the APA next season, and I encourage everyone to get the hell out while they can. It's a neverending pit of drama, BS, jerks, egos, and drunk bangers. In the 12+ years that I've been competing in pool, I've only had to deal with a small handful of stupid situations in REAL pool halls, on 9 foot tables, with REAL players who understand the game, etiquette, and ethics. And after ony 2 months in the APA and I'm having to fade this absolute ridiculous garbage.

Tom Tao, his entire team "999" at R Place in Pasadena, the San Gabriel Valley APA, and the entire APA franchise should be ashamed of itself. And you know what? None of this will matter to them, because it's been going on for SO long. Those in the industry who are boxed into it don't even realize how bad it is because they deal with it everyday.

Like I always say - think outside the barbox. There is WAY more to pool than the APA, and I regret HIGHLY ever joining. I knew this would happen and I thought I'd give them a shot anyways. BIG mistake.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have to ask. Why didnt you have your team manual with you? It in plain black and white. The APA is in NO WAY the bad guy here. You screwed up. As team captain, it is your responsibility to keep on top of things. If he would have been a "nice guy", would you have given him the win of the final match even if you won?
As far as I'm concerned, you are the one in the wrong in two different areas.......by not knowing the rules, and by putting up this post.

Last edited:

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
As soon as you broke you lost the entire match........... that is the rule.........

Read the rule book......... you lost--- they won. It;s you fault for not counting you team's skill levels and posting properly..........

Shame on you LO for not knowing the rules.

And you met an asshole......... there are the same number of assholes in the APA as in the general population.

Well .,,,,, just suck it up butter cup.......... pay attention and practice to get better...........

Don't let you self become a poor sport just because you got beat on a technicality....

Play pool and have fun..........

Kim

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Had this been your first match or two in apa, I'd be sympathetic to your situation. As it stands, you screwed up, deal with it. I'm not sure how you can blame the apa.

With that said, had I been the other Captain, I would have overlooked it and let you put up your two. Assholes aren't unique to the apa.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not an apa fan here but them's the rules. Your can't be mad at the apa because you failed to count to 23 lol Would that happen against my team. Naaa when you put the guy up I would have said hey that puts you over the 23 rule. If you had someone else to play fine. If not then you just forfeited that one game or you double shoot a lower player. no big deal. lol but that's just me.. but sorry in this instance learn from YOUR mistake and move on.

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
WOW,.....
The APA does have its faults, I'll give it that much.
BUT

YOU, (as cap't)screwed up.
Going into match 5 of the night ; up 51-29. and you can't make the numbers !

I was co-captain onna double jeopardy team, (8 & 9 Ball), we ran into this ALL THE TIME.
You simply take the 15 pt forfeit on the last match. You don't have to play anyone in the 5th slot. Match winds up 51-44. You win !
Instead, you have the outcome you just typed. Pity you had all new players like yourself with no-one to point this out to you.
I also would not place much faith in the morals of even a good opps cap't when you in 2nd place to their last place giving them a spanking. :rolleyes:

Take this one on the chin, and chaulk it up to "New captain Experience."

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Something else is bothering me. You were at 21....and you put up a five, when you say you had a two on the team? One of you, either you or the other team captain, was paying attention. It wasn't you. Or maybe you were hoping the other guy wasn't paying attention? As for the opposing team members not saying anything? They are not the ones to negotiate with. Your discussion should stay between you and the other captain. If the situation was reversed, I'm sure this would upset you.

As for losing all points, this is a little grayer in color. It does say you have to prove that you wouldn't go over 23...if you only had 4 players show up. Then you have to make sure those 4 don't go over 21 as long as there is a 2 on your roster, and the 5 match is forfeited. The gray area is you say your 2 was there and available. I beleive your first 4 matches should stand, and you forfeited the fifth. Contact LO again and politely discuss it. Find out the details again.

Last edited:

jeffj2h

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You received zero points for the entire night?

Looking in the 2014 APA Official Team Manual, page 65 seems to say you forfeit only the 5th match, not the entire night.

"The overall team skill limit rule is 23. If the 23-Rule is broken, the offending team would receive zero points for that League match. The nonoffending team would receive all points they won plus 15 points for the match in which the 23-Rule was broken and any subsequent matches."

Here's an interesting statement on page 24:
"Where new teams or new divisions are involved, there shall be some leniency. You joined to play—not to receive forfeits."

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You received zero points for the entire night?

Looking in the 2014 APA Official Team Manual, page 65 seems to say you forfeit only the 5th match, not the entire night.

"The overall team skill limit rule is 23. If the 23-Rule is broken, the offending team would receive zero points for that League match. The nonoffending team would receive all points they won plus 15 points for the match in which the 23-Rule was broken and any subsequent matches."

Here's an interesting statement on page 24:
"Where new teams or new divisions are involved, there shall be some leniency. You joined to play—not to receive forfeits."

Also page 37 - 39

driven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am with Chris on this one.
What kind of person is the other captain??
the kind that lets you shoot the eight knowing the seven is still on the table in a five dollar tournament.
Then calls you on it.
give me a break.
I learned my apa lesson long time ago,
If you make it to the end of the session you should get a "I made it to the end of the session" patch.
best of luck.

steven

pogmothoin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
As others have said, you made the mistake, not the other team captain. I am also an APA captain and I try to plan my players out before the night begins. In the heat of battle it is understandable that you might have made a mistake.

It would have been nice if the other team captain gave you a head's up but he's not compelled to. I would have, probably most others would have too, as long as it wasn't the playoffs or a tournament.

But ultimately it's on you. If you enjoy playing with your friends don't let this spoil it, just make sure you know the rules, as captain it's your responsibility.

Nullus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not an apa fan here but them's the rules. Your can't be mad at the apa because you failed to count to 23 lol Would that happen against my team. Naaa when you put the guy up I would have said hey that puts you over the 23 rule. If you had someone else to play fine. If not then you just forfeited that one game or you double shoot a lower player. no big deal. lol but that's just me.. but sorry in this instance learn from YOUR mistake and move on.

From "Not" to "on"....this post pretty much nails it.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Ok, to the letter of the law you did violate the rule and the outcome was (technically) the correct one, but it was just weekly play. In the LTC or NTC, where it's not always so friendly, my expectation is that you know the rules as well as I do. I will follow them and I expect you to as well.
During weekly play, when you select your 5, I tell you (gently) you're about to exceed 23, are you sure you wanna do that?
The exception to that is if I don't like you or if you have jerked me around before.
I think you pissed him off and he is a real cowboy. I know you want to quit and I might too, but I might stay just for the chance to play that team again. They've already set the tone, just remember there is no rule that says you must shake hands when it's over or that you even have to talk to them. If he's expecting you to be friendly or kiss his ass next time it could be very uncomfortable for him and his crew. It could be worth staying just for that. Sounds like you league rep and LO are a bit incompetent as well, sure you violated the rule but my thought is that they should have stood behind what they told you, or at the very least the should made contact with you when the realized their mistake. I'm betting Tom Tao has a at least a little reputation and no one will care if he gets mad.

Ty Arnold

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hardly ever chat on AZ but I have to state my opinion on this one. I played in local leagues for years and am the best player locally. And my opinion is for the best and most serious players in any area to NOT play in leagues. Leagues are always full of this same kind of BS. It is always the average or weaker players who play this kind of garbage. High level players should match up in money sets and play in serious tournaments, and just leave the league players to bum out with league players. I mean no disrespect to leagues because it seems some lower level players enjoy it. But it is always going to be a bunch of, "are you serious?"moments for the top players.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Rule should be obvious. I mean, this is the APA, to promote fun and good sportsmanship.

Thus, the rule should be, you forfeit just the last match or it could even be if the other captain does not protest before the break, that he basically agrees, and thus they play that match.

Would not that make everyone involved a little happier.

Captain: Pardon me kind sir, but it appears as if put up a sl5 up against my sl3 when you appear to exceed the 23 rule, would you be so kind to make a roster subsitution so we can continue with our sporting match.

Other Captain: Yes, you are correct. I added incorrectly. And then send him over a cold beer and some grey poupon.

ignomirello

Tony IGGY
Silver Member
I'm sorry but I don't like APA either But in this case you are DEAD wrong Rules are NOT made to be broken.

jeffj2h

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've switched from playing handicap APA to playing masters APA. Zero sandbagging, no griping that someone on your team is ranked too high or someone on the other team too low, scoring is dirt simple, no silly marking of pockets, and the players are all experienced.

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
Sometimes the douchebag-edness of a person simply takes you by suprise. Happens in all sports to some degree.

At the end of the day you go home being a decent competitor and the other guy goes home being a douchebag.
Guess who's the winner in life? He's the one with problems, not you.

gr. Dave

Allen Brown

Pool Whale
Silver Member
Id just have your whole team quit and not give your LO anymore of your hard earned money. Just get together and play some pool with your team members on a weekly basis, teach them good pool etiquette, have fun, and support your local pool hall. Problem solved.