So I Joined the APA.. BIG Mistake

sbpoolleague

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Black and white...straight from the APA Official Team Manual...

"If the 23-Rule is broken, the offending team would receive zero points for that League match. The non-offending team would receive all points they won plus 1 point for the match in which the 23-Rule was broken and any subsequent matches."

"A violation of the 23-Rule has officially occurred when the rack is struck in the individual match that causes the violation. If your opponent violates the 23-Rule, notify the opposing Team Captain, and then note the violation on your scoresheet. If the notation (protest) is not on the scoresheet when received by the League Office, it is too late to protest."

You SHOULD have received zero points, but unless the opposing team captain writes that on the scoresheet, he is SOL. The LO should abide by what the signed scoresheet says.

Reason #483 why you should avoid playing in an APA League.

Tro

Insert Clever Title Here
Silver Member
I haven't taken time to read the entire thread, but this is my response to your original post.

In all areas of life, you're going to meet people that will knowingly let you make a mistake so they may benefit from it.

This wasn't the APA that did this to you, it was one captain of one team.

Yes, you were wrong. Yes, he was a jerkoff for waiting for your error in order to put his team in a better position.

In my area, almost every team knows one another. MOST teams will work together in the spirit of fair competition. We'll let people play over the cap if they need to (or just ask them to forfeit the 5th match), we'll tell another team's player to mark their pocket on the 8 ball, we'll give up ball in hand on a questionable hit, etc.

Most teams do this. There are some teams, however, that follow the rules to the letter and relish those moments where they can gain from your mistake.That's just the way it is.

You ran into one of those teams. Move on.

In the end, talent trumps shortcuts. Play on and expect a few bumps here and there. Don't be surprised when a team does this to you. Accept it and know that they're not the norm.

You were wrong and he called you on it. A lot of teams wouldn't have let your player break and would have asked that you forfeit the final match. That would have been the "right" thing to do, in my opinion.

Best,
Mike

7forlife

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Didn't think this would reach 11 pages, but anyway

So it's clear both captains are at fault. But my complaint now is with the OP say "REAL" player and pool halls and all that stuff so I really have to ask. If you think so low of lower level player then why sign up to play with them? I stopped playing bar league a long time ago and although I don't play on those tables any more I surly don't refer to any one or any thing as "I only play on real tables with real people/pool player"

I find that was in very poor taste, and thus don't feel bad about your situation. Yes you got cheated cause it should of been a win for you but it's a rule and the guy called you on it. People like to throw etiquette in the mix when they make a mistake and want sympathy from their judge.

It's combat, I am not here to be your friend once the bell rings.

fast&loose designs

Chris Santana
Silver Member
So it's clear both captains are at fault. But my complaint now is with the OP say "REAL" player and pool halls and all that stuff so I really have to ask. If you think so low of lower level player then why sign up to play with them? I stopped playing bar league a long time ago and although I don't play on those tables any more I surly don't refer to any one or any thing as "I only play on real tables with real people/pool player"

I find that was in very poor taste, and thus don't feel bad about your situation. Yes you got cheated cause it should of been a win for you but it's a rule and the guy called you on it. People like to throw etiquette in the mix when they make a mistake and want sympathy from their judge.

Who's in combat? And I don't ever remember asking you to be here to "be my friend" when some bell rings.. Whatever that even means. What are you talking about?

Desmondp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Man, i've played in Pool leagues, Tennis leagues, indoor soccer leagues, basketball leagues

Competition can bring out the worst in people, the worst i have seen is in female netball leagues !

When you have a heap of people who mainly work regular jobs, these competitive leagues are a bit of an outlet. When you play in a team, you get close to your teammates and that leads to everyone being very protective of their team mates. This can lead to conflict with others

phil dade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The only one at fault is you. By accepting captain you accept the responsibility of managing your team. One such responsibility is knowing the rules. Forget the fact that the other captian was not clear on the rules. Like them or not, the rules are the rules. Once informed, you should have kicked your self in the ass. I took the time to read your post. Rethink it. Are you saying you would not call a double hit on yourself? Are you not to be trusted to call a foul? I bet you are so why is this different?

Do not blame the league or the other captian. You dropped the ball. Use it as valuable experience and never let it happen again. BTW, get a rule book and study it. Call a team meeting and tell your team that last week was on you and you feel bad you let them down. No further discussion. They will play better for you and you will play better. If you do not let go, you and the team are toast.

Think about this. A captain is a leader, your post is not leadership. Lead by example!

Last edited:

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member

Who's in combat? And I don't ever remember asking you to be here to "be my friend" when some bell rings.. Whatever that even means. What are you talking about?

Reminds me of Bluto's inspirational speech:

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!"
https://youtube.com/watch?v=q7vtWB4owdE

TheNewSharkster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wrong. You know, there are situations in which going over 23 is ok. You keep thinking in terms of black and white. Even the APA's rulebook isn't 100% black and white.

No, as the rules specify once the rack is broke and 23 rules was exceeded you get zero points. You can try and manipulate the scoresheet angle all day until you are blue in the face. This is really very simple.

NO SOUP FOR YOU!

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member
All of us were new, and now that we got a taste of what goes on, how players win, and how the APA handles situations like this, we want no part.

Yeah. Teams winning by following the rules as outlined in a manual given to you by the league when you join.....is total BS.

You really need to stop being a 14 year old girl, and let it go. It's 50ish points. Over a 16 week session, it's nothing.

CLAUD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been somewhat hesitant to post in this thread. All too often someone appears to be asking for opinions when all they really want is support for their position. But if you ask for an opinion and I have the time and inclination to respond, I will.

You appear to be very angry about what happened. If I were you I would be very angry also...at myself for making the mistake. I would be embarrassed, I always get angry and upset when I am embarrassed. I would be extremely angry...with myself...for enabling the other captain/team to win in that fashion. But the rules exist whether you like them or not.

If I were your opponent I would have let it go with only the forfeit of the last match and would have signed off on it, unless I truly thought you were trying to "pull a fast one."

Tonight is my league night and I am going to bring this topic up at dinner. Our team often meets for dinner before league begins. I am curious what my team members would do as your opponent under the same circumstances.