last pocket

BFC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Playing last pocket eightball, here is a scenario:

1. my last pocket is already determined.
2. opponent shoots his last object ball into my last pocket
3. we are playing rules where i then get to pick his last pocket

Question - after he put his last ball in MY designated pocket, is his inning over or he continues?

I know this isn't really documented anywhere, I am just looking for the common ways people handle the situation

ChrisSjoblom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BTW, a more common method of determining his last pocket in this scenario is that his last pocket would be the one diagonally opposite from yours if yours is a corner pocket. If yours is a side pocket he gets the other side pocket.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
BTW, a more common method of determining his last pocket in this scenario is that his last pocket would be the one diagonally opposite from yours if yours is a corner pocket. If yours is a side pocket he gets the other side pocket.

I think ‘diagonal’ is the wrong term here.

...and I don't see what’s wrong with both players having the same last pocket.

BFC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
His inning continues. What reasoning would there be for his inning ending?

I had heard somewhere that if someone already "owns" a last pocket, the player can't use that same pocket as their "last pocket" - I was thinking perhaps it could be a foul in lastp 8ball

...but I guess it's not.

Meucciplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I didn't know much about pool this was pretty much the only game I knew. We always played it opposite pocket if you pocketed the last ball in the same one.

However, there was another really stupid rule. Whenever you commited a foul like scratching, the opponent had to shoot from the foot spot. Which made intentional fouls very attractive. When I got more serious in my gameplay I was glad to discard those rules. Some of my former buddies don't like the "real WPA rules". Well, I now show them how stupid that rule is by intentionally fouling all the time when it gets them in a bad position. They don't like that either because my intentional fouls are so much better than theirs nowadays :)

Oh, I forgot: there were even more stupid rules. All balls slop. When you had to shoot from the foot spot you had to cross the center line before hitting any ball. No open table after a ball went in on the break. And some others.

Last edited:

Skratch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ever wonder why Last Pocket 8ball is not an internationally tournament set of rules?? LMAO.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Playing last pocket eightball, here is a scenario:

1. my last pocket is already determined.
2. opponent shoots his last object ball into my last pocket
3. we are playing rules where i then get to pick his last pocket

Question - after he put his last ball in MY designated pocket, is his inning over or he continues?

I know this isn't really documented anywhere, I am just looking for the common ways people handle the situation
His inning continues in all the variants I have seen played. Not that my hours of last pocket watching is anything but quite limited.

Last edited:

J SCHWARZ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The way we play it down here is that if I make my last ball in your pocket I get the opposite side pocket. It's more of a penalty than getting a corner pocket. If you have a side pocket i still get the opposite side pocket. If the 8ball is in the jaws of your pocket I can kick three or more rails and make it in the pocket for the win, like in a bank ring game.

Last edited:

pogmothoin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

I don’t play it often and when I do it’s when I visit my in-laws at the over 55 community. The way they play is the same as you describe. If they make their last ball in my 8 ball pocket, they shoot at the corner pocket diagonal from mine or if the side, the opposite side. Of course they continue to shoot after making their last ball.

ChrisSjoblom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think ‘diagonal’ is the wrong term here.

...and I don't see what’s wrong with both players having the same last pocket.

I think diagonal fits what I was trying to convey. For example if my last pocket is the lower left corner, and you make your last object ball in that pocket, then your 8-ball pocket will be the upper right corner - diagonally across the table from mine.

As to both players having the same last pocket, I agree with you completely. :smile:

galipeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had heard somewhere that if someone already "owns" a last pocket, the player can't use that same pocket as their "last pocket" - I was thinking perhaps it could be a foul in lastp 8ball

...but I guess it's not.
That's how I play, and all the Mexican dudes play that way near where I work.

You pick any pocket for your opponent. Why would you want to give him the same pocket as yours? Makes no sense. Limits your options for safety play.

I like last pocket because it's similar to one hole. And it makes your quarters last, which is the main reason it exists in the first place.

Last edited:

Meucciplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like last pocket because it's similar to one hole. And it makes your quarters last, which is the main reason it exists in the first place.

That's ok with me. But does it come with the "stupid" rules also, where you play?

Like all your own balls slop. No ball in hand after a foul - ball on foot spot, having to cross the center line from there. No rail contact necessary after hitting your object ball. No open table after the break.

Those are the rules I don't like. Because you can sink whitey in the next pocket without even contacting a ball. Or shoot your opponent's last ball behind the foot/center line.

After those fouls you committed your opponent is usually in a worse position than the one committing the fouls.

galipeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lol, yes, there are some stupid rules, but on a bar table you have to work within certain parameters. I'm not about to tell someone on their home court how to play. I just roll with it. Still fun!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ever wonder why Last Pocket 8ball is not an internationally tournament set of rules?? LMAO.

At my local bar, I’m putting together a Last Pocket Ruleset and post it on the wall, making it official. Maybe I’ll do the same with bar rules.

As I get older, I’m caring less about what rules we’re playing, as long as we’re singing off the same sheet music.

Freddie <~~~ with pipes unfurled