Pool Cue at Airports

tdmga08

Registered
Is there any way to Carry-on Pool Cue and Case on the plane? I travel sometimes for work and I always take my Cue. Security always tells me to take it back to Airline and check it in under the Plane. I don't have an expensive cue, a Joss Sneaky Pete and a Break/Jump cue but if I had an expensive cue I might be leery of checking it in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is there any way to Carry-on Pool Cue and Case on the plane? I travel sometimes for work and I always take my Cue. Security always tells me to take it back to Airline and check it in under the Plane. I don't have an expensive cue, a Joss Sneaky Pete and a Break/Jump cue but if I had an expensive cue I might be leery of checking it in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Cannot carry on a pool cue per TSA regulations.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I was traveling in the old days it was carry on.

If I was traveling now and had to put it my cue case in checked bags I would have an ATA case to put it in. And I got one just for that.

Mine is a Sachtler case made for a camera tripod. They sell for something like $450 and I got mine used for $20.

Mine looks just like this but is a slightly smaller diameter I think:
01%2005%2020081209658907sachtler_9309_cover_100_ii%20copy.jpg

There are a variety of types and shapes, with and without wheels, with and without built in locks.

Some examples: https://www.google.com/search?biw=1...c.1.64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.MkzE6tlZb_k#imgrc=_

dardusm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You just have to check it. I've heard some put the cue in a large suitcase and carry their cue case empty on board. I have a travel bag that goes around my hard case and I just check it. I've traveled with my cues dozens of times over the years and only had one issue. I make sure that I'm there at the luggage ramp before they start unloading and grab the cues asap.

The issue that I had was flying into Newark. The travel case was considered an odd size and wasn't put into the normal luggage ramp. I wanted until all the luggage came and still no cues. I was getting nervous and looked around and saw a room with a door open and it had a small sign that said oversized luggage. I went into the room that had several pieces of different sizes of luggage and luckily there was my travel case and cues. I just grabbed them and walked out and no one said a word or checked my checked luggage receipt.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
You just have to check it. I've heard some put the cue in a large suitcase and carry their cue case empty on board. I have a travel bag that goes around my hard case and I just check it. I've traveled with my cues dozens of times over the years and only had one issue. I make sure that I'm there at the luggage ramp before they start unloading and grab the cues asap.

The issue that I had was flying into Newark. The travel case was considered an odd size and wasn't put into the normal luggage ramp. I wanted until all the luggage came and still no cues. I was getting nervous and looked around and saw a room with a door open and it had a small sign that said oversized luggage. I went into the room that had several pieces of different sizes of luggage and luckily there was my travel case and cues. I just grabbed them and walked out and no one said a word or checked my checked luggage receipt.

Had a similar situation traveling on Spirit Air from Houston to L.A. I had my cue inside a hard case that was inside a larger cue duffle bag. Nothing came down with the luggage and I was told to go check at their office where over sized bags are brought. I went there and found my case just laying on the ground outside the door. No one was around and anyone could have taken the case. I grabbed it and went home. After I got home I opened the bag to find my cue in two pieces. Calling Spirit did absolutely no good. I was asked why I didn't report it at the airport. To this day I have no idea how this happened. The hard case showed no signs of damage. I loved that cue!

Attachments

• IMG_0799.JPG
    IMG_0799.JPG
    138.8 KB · Views: 1,556

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Had a similar situation traveling on Spirit Air from Houston to L.A. I had my cue inside a hard case that was inside a larger cue duffle bag. Nothing came down with the luggage and I was told to go check at their office where over sized bags are brought. I went there and found my case just laying on the ground outside the door. No one was around and anyone could have taken the case. I grabbed it and went home. After I got home I opened the bag to find my cue in two pieces. Calling Spirit did absolutely no good. I was asked why I didn't report it at the airport. To this day I have no idea how this happened. The hard case showed no signs of damage. I loved that cue!

I can see why, that's a very unique cue. I could only guess that it was thrown or dropped from a high place. In some woods wavy grain can be unstable, I have seen it shear in a similar way as your cue did. In my opinion it was likely to happen sooner or later. Jay do you remember what kind of wood was used for the handle section? and maybe who made it?

dardusm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Wow that sucked. I heard that the TSA was going to let cues back on planes again but they were fought by the flight attendants association so cues still on the no fly list so to speak.

JohnnyOzone

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I have a longoni scout case. it is a hard case and has 3 separate combination locks on it. If I travel with it, and I locked it and put it inside another carrying case, what is the airport procedure? Could they cut my case open to inspect it? Could I have it pre-flight inspected and tagged so they wouldn't mess with it afterward?
There are so many horror stories, I am inclined to just ship my cues & case via UPS or something rather than trust an airline

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a question:

I have some friends who are well known guitar players... when they're traveling (not on tour) with a very valuable guitar, they buy a seat for it... we're talking $10 k guitars here.
So if you were flying with your Gus to.. let's say, the Expo.. would they allow it in the cabin if you bought a seat for it? I'd assume you'd have to take everything out of the case to demonstrate that it's actually a cue.

TSA grunts are right up there with post office workers and baggage handlers.. absolutely clueless about what they're looking at.

flyrv9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One problem is that baggage check - carry on experiences differ depending on the airport and even the airline. There have been threads about this before. One guy was able to carry his cue on for a flight to Vegas but wasn't allowed to carry it on for his flight home - same airline. Calling the airport another guy was told it was ok to carry his cue on - but when he got to the airport he was denied.

So it appears it's just better to either just check it inside a suitcase or ship it ahead. With most airlines now charging a fair amount extra for each checked bag - perhaps shipping it ahead is a better idea.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So it appears it's just better to either just check it inside a suitcase or ship it ahead. With most airlines now charging a fair amount extra for each checked bag - perhaps shipping it ahead is a better idea.

It only costs about 20-30 bucks to ship my ATA case. No boxing, just slap the shipping labels right on it.

dardusm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a longoni scout case. it is a hard case and has 3 separate combination locks on it. If I travel with it, and I locked it and put it inside another carrying case, what is the airport procedure? Could they cut my case open to inspect it? Could I have it pre-flight inspected and tagged so they wouldn't mess with it afterward?
There are so many horror stories, I am inclined to just ship my cues & case via UPS or something rather than trust an airline

I think that they could cut the locks. I don't lock my travel case or cue case so they may look into it. There might be some TSA approved locks that they can unlock if needed but not sure how that works. It sux and I know others that ship their cues but of course the cues are still getting on a different plane and being handled much more in shipping than just taking them with you.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I can see why, that's a very unique cue. I could only guess that it was thrown or dropped from a high place. In some woods wavy grain can be unstable, I have seen it shear in a similar way as your cue did. In my opinion it was likely to happen sooner or later. Jay do you remember what kind of wood was used for the handle section? and maybe who made it?

It's maple. I forget the guy's name. Someone on here may recognize the cue. That's real turquoise in the butt. It was some Italian sounding name, like Dicasano or something like that. I knew once but since then have forgotten. I contacted the guy one time and he didn't seem too interested in talking to me. He's definitely not listed in the Blue Book.

LeftyIke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I paid the Airline people for a long cardboard Box,that I put a Blanket in with my Cue case,and taped it up. I was terrified that if I just had it in my hard-case,they would throw it around,and my stick would come out,since my case only had flip-up latches. However,that was right after they changed the rules. Since my luggage has been delayed or lost before,I really worry about how my stick would be treated,and if I would ever see it again. It's no pleasure to fly anymore,with new rules and multiple searches.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i use a jb rugged case which i put in a duffle bag
i lock it with tsa approved locks thru the opening in the grips on the zippers
the duffle bag is locked the same way
i have traveled several times this way with no problem
once the there was tape i forget on the duffle bag or the case that indicated the locks were opened and my bag was searched
the cues were intact

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Interesting thing - In the Philippines, many airlines and terminals will not stop you from carrying a cue on board for domestic flights. Sometimes they say okay and sometimes they don't. There is no hard and fast rule over there.

Remember this is the land Of "Bata" Reyes and "Django" Bustmante who are national hero's there.

DJSTEVEZ

Professor of Human Moves
Silver Member
There absolutely is...

If you're flying Private

Otherwise you're SOOL.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk