Pool Cue at Airports

Shermanscs

Steve sherman
Silver Member
I just recently had a bad experience with this. For SBE, I flew American Airlines. I checked my cue case for $30. When I got home, my case was ruined. It was completely soaked through (it was a wave case), my zipper pockets were partially open and the strap broke off. Fortunalty, my cues were not damaged, but everything in the pockets were completely soaked. I brought the ruined case to AA baggage customer service at the airport & they told me to write a complaint letter. I threw the bag out when I got home. I just couldn’t deal with the added aggregation of battling AA about it. Two lessons:
1) if I can help it, I’ll not be flying with American Airlines again
2) next time, I will use some of the ideas in this thread such as the tripod tube or large suitcase

Steve

DJSTEVEZ

Professor of Human Moves
Silver Member
I just recently had a bad experience with this. For SBE, I flew American Airlines. I checked my cue case for $30. When I got home, my case was ruined. It was completely soaked through (it was a wave case), my zipper pockets were partially open and the strap broke off. Fortunalty, my cues were not damaged, but everything in the pockets were completely soaked. I brought the ruined case to AA baggage customer service at the airport & they told me to write a complaint letter. I threw the bag out when I got home. I just couldn’t deal with the added aggregation of battling AA about it. Two lessons:
2) next time, I will use some of the ideas in this thread such as the tripod tube or large suitcase

Steve

Steve, I'm so sorry this happened to you. Yeah, I had one horrible experience with American too and I'd be hard pressed to ever fly them again. I'm glad your cues are OK.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Is there any way to Carry-on Pool Cue and Case on the plane? I travel sometimes for work and I always take my Cue. Security always tells me to take it back to Airline and check it in under the Plane. I don't have an expensive cue, a Joss Sneaky Pete and a Break/Jump cue but if I had an expensive cue I might be leery of checking it in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
I had a good friend of mine years ago, not a pro but a good player that traveled allot in the air. He had a cue made into three sections and never had a problem.

Steve748

Registered
My brother recently traveled from San Diego to Orlando and carried his cue (in a case) onto the plane.
He had it stick into a back pack and half of it was sticking out and no one stopped him or questioned it.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Steve
I know the explanation is late, but I bought a lot of liquor for a very cheap when I was out of the country and they boxed it for air travel.

When I arrived home and went to the carousel to collect my items, I noticed people were picking up their bags and looking at them with disgust.

It turns out some of the boxes of liquor had broken open and soaked a lot of people's things. I left the rest of the liquor, grabbed my luggage and got the hell out of there.

You wet items are definitely the airline's fault. Sue!

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
My brother recently traveled from San Diego to Orlando and carried his cue (in a case) onto the plane.
He had it stick into a back pack and half of it was sticking out and no one stopped him or questioned it.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
You realize this is the exception, not the norm as cues are still not allowed as carry-on. If no one stopped or questioned him, it means all the layers of security failed.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I can see why, that's a very unique cue. I could only guess that it was thrown or dropped from a high place. In some woods wavy grain can be unstable, I have seen it shear in a similar way as your cue did. In my opinion it was likely to happen sooner or later. Jay do you remember what kind of wood was used for the handle section? and maybe who made it?
It was a Crown cue.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think TSA is security theater, and not real security.
TSA is not real security. They are basically worthless, and those long lines and screenings mostly a waste of time. In today's world if there were to be a real threat to an airplane TSA would not stop them.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
TSA is not real security. They are basically worthless, and those long lines and screenings mostly a waste of time. In today's world if there were to be a real threat to an airplane TSA would not stop them.

Want security really? it cost loss of freedom.

Israel’s airport is Sucide, because they have no ACLU to deal with.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Is there any way to Carry-on Pool Cue and Case on the plane? I travel sometimes for work and I always take my Cue. Security always tells me to take it back to Airline and check it in under the Plane. I don't have an expensive cue, a Joss Sneaky Pete and a Break/Jump cue but if I had an expensive cue I might be leery of checking it in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Mail it where you're going if you don't need to check a bag.

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Want security really? it cost loss of freedom.

Israel’s airport is Sucide, because they have no ACLU to deal with.
I have a close friend who is an airline pilot who flies through Ben-Gurion all the time. He says that Israeli airport security laughs at the United States. They say we look for weapons. They look for terrorists!

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I have a close friend who is an airline pilot who flies through Ben-Gurion all the time. He says that Israeli airport security laughs at the United States. They say we look for weapons. They look for terrorists!

Plus they have layers of security way out past the enterence.

Looking for Teorrists is in words of ACLU, profiling.

gerryf

Try flying on El Al airlines if you want to see how real security works.
I remember reading how the security works in Israel. Apparently, they don't do the remove your belt and shoes, etc., etc., they have trained people that watch the crowd and talk to people, and from nonverbal cues and inconsistencies, they separate people for further examination.

The security guy said that the people in Israel wouln't tolerate the security show you see in North America, so they had to come up with a more effective method.

Clearly, their method works.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I remember reading how the security works in Israel. Apparently, they don't do the remove your belt and shoes, etc., etc., they have trained people that watch the crowd and talk to people, and from nonverbal cues and inconsistencies, they separate people for further examination.

The security guy said that the people in Israel wouln't tolerate the security show you see in North America, so they had to come up with a more effective method.

Clearly, their method works.

But the truth Israel is surrounded by, or with in 30 minutes by jet fighter flight by people& whole countries that would love to see no more Isrearl.

Their defence budget & serurity for budget is big percentage of their annual budget.

People who do bad things in isreal are dealt with fast, sometime never to be seen again.

SlateMan

Registered
I once boarded a plane with two very sharp serrated Henkel steak knives. We had a hurricane coming in and I was up most of the night putting up boards on the windows. I grabbed my computer bag for work and my suitcase and took off for the airport. I didn't realize the knives were in my bag until I was at my destination, sitting at a conference table.

**I did have a sneaking suspicion that TSA found the knives. One knife, they would have just stopped me, two knives is a conspiracy and they needed to determine who the other party was. I had a window seat and the middle seat was filled by a guy who was about 6'6" tall, ex-military. Every time I reached into my bag down by my feet he seemed to lean towards me just a bit. He read every text message I sent, (he even joked/apologized about doing so). My text messages were pictures of the boarded up windows and meme jokes about my cat being blown away by the upcoming storm.
The guy seemed to know the flight crew pretty well. He said he flew to NY all the time to take classes. But he also said he took classes at my university. The only professors he recalled were of a particular religion. I was thinking air marshal at the time, but I didn't think it had anything to do with me.
His story seemed a bit weird until I found the knives. Then it made sense. Like I said, one knife = stop, frisk, possibly arrest. Two knives equal conspiracy- find the other party on the plane.

The guy knew my entire story by the end of the flight. I think they just chalked it up to the absent minded professor getting 2 hours sleep before a flight.