Lining up center cue ball and dominant eye

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Those are good links. I feel that more important than dominant eye, is that one actually sees a straight line as straight. And then has the cue on that same line in a straight line with the body in a position to naturally move the cue straight up and down that line.

If one does not see a straight line as straight, they will learn to compensate for it to a degree. However, they will always have a problem with shooting shots to one direction over the opposite direction. (right vs. left)

When seeing a straight line as straight, and being properly aligned over that line, then one can make shots either to the right or to the left equally.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Those are good links. I feel that more important than dominant eye, is that one actually sees a straight line as straight. And then has the cue on that same line in a straight line with the body in a position to naturally move the cue straight up and down that line.

If one does not see a straight line as straight, they will learn to compensate for it to a degree. However, they will always have a problem with shooting shots to one direction over the opposite direction. (right vs. left)

When seeing a straight line as straight, and being properly aligned over that line, then one can make shots either to the right or to the left equally.

I've struggled with this issue for years, and I've come to the conclusion that the simple dominant eye test is 100% accurate. The issue is that most people don't know how to properly get into a stance that accommodates their dominant eye.

Getting your cue under your dominant eye is only part of the process. What good is it if your head, body, and feet aren't positioned properly?

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who says you don't?

Better yet, show me a player that doesn't, and that plays at a consistent high level.

Without doing an actual survey I'd daresay most high level players don't have their dominant eye over the cue. I know Mark Wilson says it isn't necessary, and he's pretty well plugged in. But, the proof for me isn't about what anybody else is doing, it is what I've experienced. Once I got away from the "dominant eye, dominant eye, dominant eye" dogma that is so popular on AZ, it cleared the path to straightening out my stroke. Achieving a straight stroke convinced me that aiming systems simply aren't necessary. More than anything some systems might help straighten out your stroke, if anything. It is hard to understand that if your stroke is even a little crooked.

I will say that Poolology is an exception because it ties the fractional hit directly to the table geometry. On open table long back cuts where it is hard to see the pocket, everybody can use a little help. :smile:

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Without doing an actual survey I'd daresay most high level players don't have their dominant eye over the cue. I know Mark Wilson says it isn't necessary, and he's pretty well plugged in. But, the proof for me isn't about what anybody else is doing, it is what I've experienced. Once I got away from the "dominant eye, dominant eye, dominant eye" dogma that is so popular on AZ, it cleared the path to straightening out my stroke. Achieving a straight stroke convinced me that aiming systems simply aren't necessary. More than anything some systems might help straighten out your stroke, if anything. It is hard to understand that if your stroke is even a little crooked.

I will say that Poolology is an exception because it ties the fractional hit directly to the table geometry. On open table long back cuts where it is hard to see the pocket, everybody can use a little help. :smile:

So are you saying the position of your cue isn't consistent? On some shots, it might be under your left eye. On others, it might be under your right?

denzilla171

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who says you don't?

Better yet, show me a player that doesn't, and that plays at a consistent high level.

Here you go...

Dennis.jpg

Hollismason

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, so I was shooting earlier today and doing some drills . Now that I know that I cross dominant ( I am right handed , but I have left eye dominance). I decided to try the left hand versus right hand 8 ball game where you start off dominant hand then shoot with non dominant hand when you miss. I noticed that I actually once I got into the swing of it can shoot not to terribly with my left hand. It feels a bit unnatural but I kind of made some really good shots with my non dominant hand.

Anyway I started doing more practice drills and it seems that when I do tilt my head to the left even when shooting right handed it seems to line me up a little bit more center than what I was doing before which is a slight tilt right.

I think I just need to practice more with the sighting of things.

It was kind of interesting to do a test and find out I am cross dominant.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So are you saying the position of your cue isn't consistent? On some shots, it might be under your left eye. On others, it might be under your right?

Not sure where you are going with that, but no I didn't say anything about putting the cue in different places for different shots.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure where you are going with that, but no I didn't say anything about putting the cue in different places for different shots.

Except you did, when you said (or at least implied) that putting your dominant eye over the cue is hogwash.

I can only assume you're referring to vision center (VC). So if we're worried about semantics, then no, the cue doesn't need to be directly under your dominant eye.

Very few players have the cue lined up directly in the middle of their chin. Your VC is likely going to be close to your dominant eye. IOW, if you are left eye dominant, I highly doubt you'll have your cue like Niels Feijen

niels-feijen-large.jpg

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Except you did, when you said (or at least implied) that putting your dominant eye over the cue is hogwash.

I can only assume you're referring to vision center (VC). So if we're worried about semantics, then no, the cue doesn't need to be directly under your dominant eye.

Very few players have the cue lined up directly in the middle of their chin. Your VC is likely going to be close to your dominant eye. IOW, if you are left eye dominant, I highly doubt you'll have your cue like Niels Feijen

We got off track somewhere. You said, "Getting your cue under your dominant eye is only part of the process." I said people don't play with their dominant eye over the cue. I don't know where you came up with the rest of that stuff. I think "vision center" is another BS term, and it isn't semantics. Either your eye is over the cue or it isn't. I think vision is very complicated and I don't pretend to understand it all, but I do believe the placement of the eyes can be a choice that has nothing to do with dominant eye or VC or whatever.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Once I got away from the "dominant eye, dominant eye, dominant eye" dogma that is so popular on AZ, it cleared the path to straightening out my stroke. Achieving a straight stroke convinced me that aiming systems simply aren't necessary. More than anything some systems might help straighten out your stroke, if anything. It is hard to understand that if your stroke is even a little crooked.

And once again we have Dan "MR. STROKE" White rapid fire repeating "STROKE, STROKE, STROKE, STROKE, STROKE, STROKE, STROKE,STROKElike it's an ENDLESS STUTTER!!

I very rarely agree with your Lord and Master, Lou Figueroa, about anything. But he did throw a couple of gems out which you need to learn as dogma before you continue to keep stuttering out "STROKE, STROKE, STROKE, STROKE, STROKE".

Here is what he stated in two separate posts: "This is very true. In my experience this centering issue can vary from shot to shot. IOW, sometimes you might be lined up correctly but other times you might not. It's a problem that can haunt some players for years.
Lou Figueroa

My personal amendment to this would be: a good set up takes years to learn.
If you get the set up right, the stroke happens.

Lou Figueroa

"IF YOU GET THE SETUP RIGHT, THE STROKE HAPPENS"

The stroke does NOT determine the setup or the fundamentals of grip, the SETUP and FUNDAMENTALS determine the STROKE.

If you're such an expert as you THINK you are, break down the setup and fundaments that make the stroke what it is.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think vision is very complicated and I don't pretend to understand it all

You really don't.

The importance of the dominant eye isn't that the cue be directly underneath it, but that it be as close as necessary in order to see a straight line. Call it vision center or whatever you want.

Here's a simple test you can do...

Go to your local pool hall, and observe the best players there. Find anyone that favors having the cue to one side or the other. Ask them if they know which eye is their dominant. If they don't, have them perform the "look at an object in the distance" test to figure it out.

Let us know what you find out.

Mr. Wilson

El Kabong
Gold Member
Silver Member
And once again we have Dan "MR. STROKE" White rapid fire repeating "STROKE, STROKE, STROKE, STROKE, STROKE, STROKE, STROKE,STROKElike it's an ENDLESS STUTTER!!

I very rarely agree with your Lord and Master, Lou Figueroa, about anything. But he did throw a couple of gems out which you need to learn as dogma before you continue to keep stuttering out "STROKE, STROKE, STROKE, STROKE, STROKE".

Here is what he stated in two separate posts: "This is very true. In my experience this centering issue can vary from shot to shot. IOW, sometimes you might be lined up correctly but other times you might not. It's a problem that can haunt some players for years.
Lou Figueroa

My personal amendment to this would be: a good set up takes years to learn.
If you get the set up right, the stroke happens.

Lou Figueroa

"IF YOU GET THE SETUP RIGHT, THE STROKE HAPPENS"

The stroke does NOT determine the setup or the fundamentals of grip, the SETUP and FUNDAMENTALS determine the STROKE.

If you're such an expert as you THINK you are, break down the setup and fundaments that make the stroke what it is.

Bans ARE coming.

I'm done telling grown men to behave.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Bans ARE coming.

I'm done telling grown men to behave.

Sorry sir, but I don't know what you're referring to as a bannable offense according to the rules. It's on topic.

Please point it out so I won't mistakenly do it again. Help me out here.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You really don't.

The importance of the dominant eye isn't that the cue be directly underneath it, but that it be as close as necessary in order to see a straight line. Call it vision center or whatever you want.

Listen, you're not fooling anybody. You either misspoke, used loose language, or didn't know the difference when you said you need to get the cue under the dominant eye, and then challenged me to find good players who don't do that. Now you are saying the cue needs to be down there somewhere around the area under the dominant eye somewhere down there under that area near under there...vision center!!!

Let's just drop it and move on, m-kay?

Mr. Wilson

El Kabong
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sorry sir, but I don't know what you're referring to as a bannable offense according to the rules. It's on topic.

Please point it out so I won't mistakenly do it again. Help me out here.

How many times do you intend to say something regarding Lou?

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
How many times do you intend to say something regarding Lou?

Aaaahaaaa! Does that mean I can't quote Lou's post that are what I consider to be actually on the money and valid? Which I did.

I get the other part about (the "L" word)

I will say it baffled me how (the "L" word) was able to say what he did to Jay Helfert in the Cyclops thread without reprisal. Or Dan White making his supposed "funny" toward Jay about "Jayntal Warts".

But that's not my issue. Just curiosity.