Lining up center cue ball and dominant eye

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
That's insane. I've never seen a cross dominant player play that far over to one side. Its like Earl... But opposite... Quite odd. I'm cross dominant but have the cue on the inside of my left eye, centre chin. This is a more common cue placement. Thanks for sharing.
YW.
That is pretty insane.
If I don't line up my right eye ( right chin ) , shoulder and wrist bone to the stroking line, I usually miss. :D
These guys are savants.

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My friend that I practice with, Ken

Albin Ouschan shooting to the inside of his left eye. :eek:
And he's right handed.

Ken is my main practice guy at Jimmys Pro Billiards.

I gave him a lesson about 4 years ago. Ken had struggled for a long time to get it right.

My travels after kens lesson gave me the ability to help him get there the rest of the way.

He is right handed and has the cue to the left of the left eye the same way to see the shot in the most correct way.

He needs to get it all the way over there in the preshot and then come down.

His game went up about 20% almost immediately.

Tonight I practiced with Ken for about 2 hours. The last rack of the night he ran out and got great shape on every shot. That was fun to see.

6 months ago that wasn't happening for sure.

This is what it is all about, helping players have more fun and increase their ability sooner than later.

Ken's also a real nice guy. Fun to practice with.

If I took a picture it would show the cue in the same place.

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great observation..........

Here's a video of Shane shooting several shots for the camera. Listen to his comments about using left english. https://youtu.be/_kL9ena6j6M?t=1715

Best,
Mike

I consider Shane a friend of mine. We hung out a little when I went through his home town traveling and teaching.

We never talked about much as far as pool went.

But from the looks of things it's not an accident that he plays the way he does.

Pretty sharp cookie to say the least as he explains this off the top of his head.

Most players wouldn't even understand what he's talking about.

Plus it's so important. After I've applied this for the last 3 weeks my game has jumped a few notches to say the least.

But you have to get to center first and then you can work on the right and the left.

Shane's 100% right. The info he just shared is brilliant...........

Good job there Mr Mike. Right on top of it.

Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
Ken is my main practice guy at Jimmys Pro Billiards.

I gave him a lesson about 4 years ago. Ken had struggled for a long time to get it right.

My travels after kens lesson gave me the ability to help him get there the rest of the way.

He is right handed and has the cue to the left of the left eye the same way to see the shot in the most correct way.

He needs to get it all the way over there in the preshot and then come down.

His game went up about 20% almost immediately.

Tonight I practiced with Ken for about 2 hours. The last rack of the night he ran out and got great shape on every shot. That was fun to see.

6 months ago that wasn't happening for sure.

This is what it is all about, helping players have more fun and increase their ability sooner than later.

Ken's also a real nice guy. Fun to practice with.

If I took a picture it would show the cue in the same place.
How can the dominant eye still be in the center?
The cue is way off center.

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are 3 types of eye positions for aiming a shot.

How can the dominant eye still be in the center?
The cue is way off center.

1 (There is the normal about 90% where the cue is to the right or the left of the nose.

Being right eye dominant or left eye dominant has nothing to do with which arm they use. It's totally random and seems to be almost equally mixed.

2 (Then there are the players that have the cue right under the right eye or the left eye. These players shoot with only one eye all the time. They can aim like they are using a scope and be very accurate.

3 (Then there are the players that seem to mystically have the cue an inch or 2 to the right of their right eye or to the left of their left eye. These players also seem to be very accurate once they learn that they can aim way over there. It's just the way their brain sees the shot the best.

This is a very educated estimate from over 2,000 personal lessons over 6 years. Also around 8,000 mini lessons where I would just give the players a small sample by helping them find the dominant eye so they could see the immediate benefit of getting it the right position manually.

Been to many poolhalls to rack up these numbers and find these facts.

We are all the same with the exception of these 3 categories.

Many of the same techniques work for each type to get the dominant eye in the correct position manually. Once a player sees how this works there is no stopping their progress.

Usually there is a big jump in their playing ability because the brain just can't get this right naturally unless you play 8 hours a day and keep up that pace.

By getting there manually it is almost like lining up the sights on a gun or using a scope. Once this is accomplished other aspects of the game start to make more sense because you can actually see what's happening.

That's it. 3 types of eye positions and everyone fits into one of these.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
1 (There is the normal about 90% where the cue is to the right or the left of the nose.

Being right eye dominant or left eye dominant has nothing to do with which arm they use. It's totally random and seems to be almost equally mixed.

2 (Then there are the players that have the cue right under the right eye or the left eye. These players shoot with only one eye all the time. They can aim like they are using a scope and be very accurate.

3 (Then there are the players that seem to mystically have the cue an inch or 2 to the right of their right eye or to the left of their left eye. These players also seem to be very accurate once they learn that they can aim way over there. It's just the way their brain sees the shot the best.

That's it. 3 types of eye positions and everyone fits into one of these.
What about the people who have the cue directly centered between the eyes, directly under the nose? What percentage have you seen in this category? It seems that many top pool and snooker players do have the the cue directly under (and sometimes touching) the center of their chin.

Regardless, all of these categories of people, assuming they are accurate and consistent shooters, have found their personal vision center position. I think this means the same thing as you saying: "They have their dominant eye in the correct position." I like to say instead: "they have the cue in the correct position" or "they have their head in the correct position," or "they are in their vision center position." In my experience, the vision center position doesn't always directly relate to which eye might be dominant or not, using the standard definition of "dominant eye."

Regards,
Dave

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
I'm not even sure about my actual story, but I think I can safely say that my situation changed.

Like Gene says, when I was younger & playing a lot I never had any 'eyes' or 'sighting' or 'aiming' issues, or... if I did, I did not know anything about it & my subconscious was handling it very well.

Then I had a small eye accident to what I thought was my dominant right eye & for sighting straight out like in shooting a rifle still is my dominant eye. But, I developed an astigmatism & the vision in it became blurry. But... I played the same way for many many years at a very good level.

Then for what ever reason, age , playing less & less often, or whatever, some misses starting popping up that should not have been.

Gene saw my posts here & initiated a contact. Gene showed me beyond doubt that for 'sighting' pool shots while standing over the table, I had become or perhaps even always was left eyed.

The thing is, that would change as I went down on a shoot & I would be looking more straight out & I would be using my right eye as I always had before. The problem is that even though I am a low eyed later, my eyes, our eyes, are still above the cue & NOT actually looking straight out but instead still a bit from above.

Gene gave me a manual method to keep my left eye involved while transitioning from the standing to the shooting position.

The knowledge I gained through the contact with Gene is of much value to me.

The normal tests for dominant eye are of no real value to me given my situation. Like Gene says it's like flipping a coin as to whether or not they are accurate for the purpose of playing pool.

What Gene did for me was simple, quick, & has been of benefit & value to me.

Each individual can certainly make their own determination as yo what if anything they wish to do to assure that they are not seeing a crooked line as straight as I was.

The subconscious is an amazing entity & can certainly do some amazing things but I think it & we can perform better if speed bumps are removed.

Best Wishes to ALL.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
I guess the dominant eye is not one eye.

Have you heard me relay the story about the NASA experiment where subjects were made to see up side down with goggles & how their subconscious 'brains' over time made the adjustments & then back again when the googles were removed?

Our eyes are just like a camera in that ALL that they do is receive the reflected light from off of the objects & that image is actually up side down on our retinas just as it is with a camera. SLR cameras use a mirror to reverse it so we can see it right side up.

It's our brains that do the 'interpretation' & necessary 'processing' & adjusting.

Looking at & 'seeing' the lines on the floor are not the same as looking at & 'seeing' the line of rifle at eye level.

That's one reason we have brains.

Best 2 You & All.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Virtually every study has found that hand dominance and eye dominance are linked, with a strong majority having "matched" dominance (both on the same side). Estimates of cross-dominance are usually less than 1/3 of the total.

pj
chgo

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
Have you heard me relay the story about the NASA experiment where subjects were made to see up side down with goggles & how their subconscious 'brains' over time made the adjustments & then back again when the googles were removed?

Our eyes are just like a camera in that ALL that they do is receive the reflected light from off of the objects & that image is actually up side down on our retinas just as it is with a camera. SLR cameras use a mirror to reverse it so we can see it right side up.

It's our brains that do the 'interpretation' & necessary 'processing' & adjusting.

Looking at & 'seeing' the lines on the floor are not the same as looking at & 'seeing' the line of rifle at eye level.

That's one reason we have brains.

Best 2 You & All.
Yes, but I'm confused what Gino is selling .
Look at the thread title.
I think he's flipflopping all over .
The center of the cue ball is the physical center .
Dominant eye is dominant eye.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member

Well... he showed me beyond doubt that what I thought was a straight line as seen with my right eye, which is my point & circle test dominant eye was actually a crooked line.

I was amazed to think how well I have been playing my whole life with that road block up & 'knowing' that my right eye was my dominant/shooting eye.

Gene has been 'studying' what pool players do & don't do & what the results are & he has seen the results when a change is made.

No offense to anyone else, but Gene has been in the fire, so to speak.

Best 2 You & All.

Last edited:

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
exactly..........

I've already tried to help everyone that I can with what I discovered about the eyes with Perfect Aim. it's the real deal.

With all the negativity from players and even other teachers of the game many players that don't even understand it, many players don't even check it out but it's something that every player on the planet needs to know.

As English says, I'm in the fire. I'm playing all the time now and at 62 trying to bring my game back up to a level that I had 15 to 20 years ago.

I finally have and the players here in the Twin Cities are experiencing it first hand.

I have won 18 out of the last 20 weekly tournaments here by applying this center ball thing to my game.

I knew that I was lining up with the tip of my cue a little to the left of center when I was aiming a shot but what I didn't realize was that every shot that I shot I was a little to the left on the cue ball all the time. So when I was putting right English on the cue ball I wasn't getting as far to the right as I needed to get.

When my shape wasn't right I was blaming it on maybe a dead rail or blaming it on the low deflection shaft.

In all reality most players are doing the same exact thing that I was doing.

Depending on which eye is dominant directly determines which side of the ball the player favors when lining up off center on the cue ball and many players don't even know that they are not lined up center until they hold the cue steady and just raise up their head to look.

Again, already I have had players comment on this and debunk it and I know they havn't even tried to look for themselves on the pool table. If they had they would see there is something to it.

With the 50 or so players that I have worked with they have seen significant improvement in their playing ability. Shape is better and their pocketing skills are better.

SHOCKER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But unless they keep at it they drift back to off center on the cue ball.

But it seems so far that the way to help players get to the center of each shot whether it be the center of the ball or the center of the right or left English they are trying to get, having the dominant eye in the most dominant position is the key.

I've already sold Perfect Aim for 7 years now trying to help players everywhere play the game of pool as good as they possibly could. This is just taking it to the next level.

By manually positioning the dominant eye in the most dominant position you not only get the correct picture getting to the brain but you can also fix this alignment on the cue ball and start hitting the exact spot you are trying to hit.

It still takes some effort manually to get there but once the dominant eye is in the most dominant position you can get the job done very easily once you see the problem and start trying to fix it.

Sometimes I feel like the mad scientist that has the secret of eternal life but nobody will hardly listen. :confused:

Or the aliens are coming and no one will listen. :eek:

This is the real answer to many pool players troubles. This is why we miss the shot and why we miss the shape more than anything else.

We're not hitting the cue ball where we think we are consistently to the right of the left.

I'm working with players that have great strokes and do so many things right but just can't get there.

But the real test is with myself. If the results are great for me and then I share it with others and it helps tremendously with them also it's the real deal.

I'm not selling anything but just trying to share something really amazing.

But if I was selling something, the players that have the dominant eye in the most dominant position are having better luck getting to center ball and staying there consistently.

This is one reason that Perfect Aim works so well. It actually helps to fix this alignment on the cue ball accidently.

But to finish the job up you need to make an effort to get to the center.

Without the dominant eye in the most dominant position fixing this is almost impossible.

Just trying to help...........

Tom Van Eck

I think I have just the target you're looking for! My iCue practice ball shows you instantly if you hit your mark on the cueball. Visit: icueclinic.com. If you know your ABC"s and 123"s my ball will show you
instantly how easy pool can be!

Tom

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry Tom........

I think I have just the target you're looking for! My iCue practice ball shows you instantly if you hit your mark on the cueball. Visit: icueclinic.com. If you know your ABC"s and 123"s my ball will show you
instantly how easy pool can be!

Tom

If the dominant eye is not in the dominant position you can even mark the ball with a line and not be able to hit the right amount.

Jim Rempe has a ball that has all kinds of lines on it.

Once the eyes are put in the most dominant position manually and only then will the ball with lines help.

I teach players also how to measure the shot so they know exactly how much of the object ball they need to hit to make the shot.

This is extremely helpful when shooting a combo. I set up tough combos all the time and show my students how well it works before they even do a lesson.

it's at the end of my Perfect Aim Video.

Then once you know exactly how much of the ball to hit you need to know how much to hit with no English, accounting for friction enduced throw or the true line with outside English.

Pokerdave

Registered
Ok gene well i'm right eye dominant and i line up way left of center because that feels like center ball to me. How do i fix that?

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
During my travels on the road teaching Perfect Aim I also discovered another problem that most players have.

Lining up on the center of the cue ball.

I've seen the problem for the last 5 years while traveling the road and teaching and finally know the cure .

Most players that are left eye dominant line up the cue to the left of the center of the cue ball. it has something to do with the eye dominance.

If the player is right eye dominant they line up to the right of center on the cue ball.

The cure for this starts in the preshot and has to start there.

If this problem is not fixed the player is constantly hitting the cue ball with unwanted right English or left English.

To see for sure which side you accidently favor have someone watch in front of you when you come down on a long straight in shot. They will be able to see.

And don't just assume that you come down in the middle because it is hard to tell all by yourself.

The cure ties right in with Perfect aim. Imagine that?

Yes, thanks for this post.

Another tip--get students to think "align with and look at the cue ball" on the initial moves to stance from the erect position. Way too many players try to align with the cue stick, which is in peripheral vision, rather than the cue ball, which is out in front of their vision (mostly).

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chances are you might be left eye domnant...

Ok gene well i'm right eye dominant and i line up way left of center because that feels like center ball to me. How do i fix that?

Reason I say that is most left eye dominant players line up with accidental left English.

There are exceptions though but this is the norm.

Give me a call and I'll help you get this right. 715-563-8712. Need to be by a table and call after 2:00 PM central time........

It will always be a work in progress but by getting the dominant eye in the most dominant position you can actually get to the center and have it look correct.