Mike Dechaine. America's Second Best Player

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Let's open with the fact that we're talking rotation games here.

When it comes to big events, there are only two consistently strong American players, Shane Van Boening and Mike Dechaine. Of Archer, Morris, and Deuel, not one of them has more than two top tens in the last six major 9/10 ball events in America having a truly elite international field as well as wide representation from players across the entire United States. Earl doesn't even have one top 10 in these events, and it's a joke that he's ever in the conversation as one of the most elite Americans. I really don't see how you can make a case for anybody but Mike Dechaine as the second best American 9/10 ball pool player. Mike outperforms the others over and over and over and over. It should also be noted that Mike beat Shane in both the 2013 and 2014 Derby City Classic 9-ball events and, of course, he absolutely demolished Earl Strickland in their ten ball match with a set of rules selected by Earl camp. Rodney is probably the third best American and Justin Bergman is probably fourth best.

It happens every day here on the forum --- the efforts of a great player are discounted because he's unpopular. Pretty comical that anyone would leave him out of America's top five, and, to me, nearly as comical to leave him out of the top two. It might just be time to give a very accomplished and consistently excellent player his due. Shane's results make it crystal clear that he's America's best but Mike's results make it just as clear that he's second best. In 2013, with no thanks to Matchroom, America had to compete in the Mosconi without its second best player. Let's hope it doesn't happen again. Right now, Mike Dechaine and Justin Bergman are the ones that keep proving that their games are in tip-top shape and that's whey they are knocking off some of the game's superstars. Surely, any Team USA that hopes to be competitive must begin with Shane, Mike and Justin.

Attachments

• case for dechaine.jpg
    case for dechaine.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:

naji

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let's open with the fact that we're talking rotation games here.

When it comes to big events, there are only two consistently strong American players, Shane Van Boening and Mike Dechaine. Of Archer, Morris, and Deuel, not one of them has more than two top tens in the last six major 9/10 ball events in America having a truly elite international field as well as wide representation from players across the entire United States. Earl doesn't even have one top 10 in these events, and it's a joke that he's ever in the conversation as one of the most elite Americans. I really don't see how you can make a case for anybody but Mike Dechaine as the second best American 9/10 ball pool player. Mike outperforms the others over and over and over and over. It should also be noted that Mike beat Shane in both the 2013 and 2014 Derby City Classic 9-ball events and, of course, he absolutely demolished Earl Strickland in their ten ball match with a set of rules selected by Earl camp. Rodney is probably the third best American and Justin Bergman is probably fourth best.

It happens every day here on the forum --- the efforts of a great player are discounted because he's unpopular. Pretty comical that anyone would leave him out of America's top five, and, to me, nearly as comical to leave him out of the top two. It might just be time to give a very accomplished and consistently excellent player his due. Shane's results make it crystal clear that he's America's best but Mike's results make it just as clear that he's second best. In 2013, with no thanks to Matchroom, America had to compete in the Mosconi without its second best player. Let's hope it doesn't happen again. Right now, Mike Dechaine and Justin Bergman are the ones that keep proving that their games are in tip-top shape and that's whey they are knocking off some of the game's superstars. Surely, any Team USA that hopes to be competitive must begin with Shane, Mike and Justin.

No doubt Mike D is great player, but not sure why i have no desire to watch him play for long hours; yet i would watch SVB, Efren, Earl, Busty, Dennis O, is it me or other AZBers too!

RADAR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
let's open with the fact that we're talking rotation games here.

When it comes to big events, there are only two consistently strong american players, shane van boening and mike dechaine. Of archer, morris, and deuel, not one of them has more than two top tens in the last six major 9/10 ball events in america having a truly elite international field as well as wide representation from players across the entire united states. Earl doesn't even have one top 10 in these events, and it's a joke that he's ever in the conversation as one of the most elite americans. I really don't see how you can make a case for anybody but mike dechaine as the second best american 9/10 ball pool player. Mike outperforms the others over and over and over and over. It should also be noted that mike beat shane in both the 2013 and 2014 derby city classic 9-ball events and, of course, he absolutely demolished earl strickland in their ten ball match with a set of rules selected by earl camp. Rodney is probably the third best american and justin bergman is probably fourth best.

It happens every day here on the forum --- the efforts of a great player are discounted because he's unpopular. Pretty comical that anyone would leave him out of america's top five, and, to me, nearly as comical to leave him out of the top two. It might just be time to give a very accomplished and consistently excellent player his due. Shane's results make it crystal clear that he's america's best but mike's results make it just as clear that he's second best. In 2013, with no thanks to matchroom, america had to compete in the mosconi without its second best player. Let's hope it doesn't happen again. Right now, mike dechaine and justin bergman are the ones that keep proving that their games are in tip-top shape and that's whey they are knocking off some of the game's superstars. Surely, any team usa that hopes to be competitive must begin with shane, mike and justin.

i agree with no doubt. Sad part about american pool is nobody can keep in stroke here due to lack of tournaments!

spliced

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can you edit your chart to add Justin Bergman's results to all of those tournaments?

Craig

Custom Cue-Repair
Silver Member
Tournament wise maybe. But races to 5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 there is a ton of players that can win short races. Give that same short race tournament champion a steady diet of longer races, ahead sets, etc.... for BIG $$$ gambling. They're not the same tournament champion anymore.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Every pool player has a streak, and some streaks last longer than others. Though Shane may be in the prime of his streak, players like Justin Bergman and Skyler are just beginning theirs.

Mike Dechaine has a strong following in the Northeast region of the United States, which is where he hails from. That is most likely because people there actually *know* him.

You can't judge a book by the cover, and action speaks louder than words. :)

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Tournament wise maybe. But races to 5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 there is a ton of players that can win short races. Give that same short race tournament champion a steady diet of longer races, ahead sets, etc.... for BIG $$$ gambling. They're not the same tournament champion anymore.

A few weeks ago, Mike Dechaine gave Ruslan Chinakhov (4th place, DCC 9-ball) the 7 ball playing nine ball at the Derby for big stakes in a race to 15 and got the cash for high stakes. Mike has proven his game is pressure proof. And, of course, last night, in a race to twenty one, he absolutely crushed Earl Strickland in a game in which he permitted Earl to choose all the rules.

Mike is just as strong when money is on the line and has no trouble with long races.

That said, the Mosconi is a short race event, and as you yourself have noted, Mike thrives in that situation.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
i agree with no doubt. Sad part about american pool is nobody can keep in stroke here due to lack of tournaments!

Point well take, and what makes it even worse is that Americans rarely compete in the most elite WPA championships.

GoBilliards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Speculate all you want but I would be willing to bet my hard earned money that Professionalism will play a much larger part in the selection of the Mosconi cup team this year than it has in the past. The American pool scene is in shambles and it got that way by players acting like idiots. Sponsors want nothing to do with us. Let's pick some guys with a good attitude that we will be proud of, win or lose.

Worminator

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Speculate all you want but I would be willing to bet my hard earned money that Professionalism will play a much larger part in the selection of the Mosconi cup team this year than it has in the past. The American pool scene is in shambles and it got that way by players acting like idiots. Sponsors want nothing to do with us. Let's pick some guys with a good attitude that we will be proud of, win or lose.

^^^ This ^^^

CLAUD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Amen! Amen!

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

I will support any team that Mark chooses unless Earl is on it, which to me would evidence that Matchroom meddled in the team selection process.

I will not, however, be proud of a team that competes with dignity but, through mediocre play, reinforces the prevailing worldwide view that the skills of the American pool player have fallen way behind those of Asian and European professionals.

It's America's bad luck that the Mosconi is the only real chance our American players get to show their skills. If our players chose to compete in WPA World Championships, things would be different.

... but given that American players have fallen off the competitive map in international play overseas, I'd sure hate to see us go to battle with anything less than Shane, Mike D, and Justin B. This does not mean that Mark's criteria for selection are something I disagree with, but these are the guys I hope will be selected.

pro9dg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like Mike. I met him a few years ago when we shared a taxi on the way to the Galveston tournament and I thought that he was an OK guy. I also agree with SJM that he is the US number two player.
But there is a problem. It is not that he is unpopular with the public, it is just that he is unpopular with Shane. So unless the two of them sit down and thrash out their differences then I cannot see him or Shane on the same team.

Mark Wilson's biggest danger is that by naming them both, he risks losing the camaraderie and team spirit that is vital for success So when it comes to the crunch Mike will lose out. This situation is a bad one because what a formidable pair they would make if they had the chance to play together.

DefiniteHasBeen

Used to be a "Young Gun"
Silver Member
Ha. Pressure proof... did you see his Mosconi Cup appearances? You cannot say his or almost anyone's game is "pressure proof".

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Ha. Pressure proof... did you see his Mosconi Cup appearances? You cannot say his or almost anyone's game is "pressure proof".

Yes, I agree. This is really the Catch 22 of the whole Mosconi thing. The thirty and under players have often not been able to fade the extreme pressures of the Mosconi (at least not in the last decade in which Europe has actually had its share of premier players) yet the veterans have let American pool down. Even Shane is just 9-9 in singles, hardly the kind of record we'd expect of him or that he'd expect of himself.

It's Mark's puzzle to solve, and I like the fact that he wants to go young. The only way we can build for the future is to get America's best young players the kind of experience they need in handling the Mosconi pressure. Mark will put us back on the right track.

TheThaiger

Banned
... but given that American players have fallen off the competitive map in international play overseas, I'd sure hate to see us go to battle with anything less than Shane, Mike D, and Justin B. This does not mean that Mark's criteria for selection are something I disagree with, but these are the guys I hope will be selected.

Agreed. Not much has been made of the venue for this year's MC, not surprisingly, but this could be a really ugly atmosphere - Blackpool is not for the feint of heart at the best of times and this could be REALLY intimidating for the inexperienced. Players like MD might actually enjoy the 'pantomime villain' role and respond to it. Others will melt.

This year is going to take a lot of very careful management. I'd be tempted to put the old guard back in and let them be ripped to pieces for one final time, saving the younger guns for a less hostile crowd on friendlier soil a year later.

Mark must think long term here. There are no easy answers. I don't envy him one bit. The question is, where IS rock bottom for pool in America, and are you there yet? There may be many more shocks to come.

DefiniteHasBeen

Used to be a "Young Gun"
Silver Member
Yes, I agree. This is really the Catch 22 of the whole Mosconi thing. The thirty and under players have often not been able to fade the extreme pressures of the Mosconi (at least not in the last decade in which Europe has actually had its share of premier players) yet the veterans have let American pool down. Even Shane is just 9-9 in singles, hardly the kind of record we'd expect of him or that he'd expect of himself.

It's Mark's puzzle to solve, and I like the fact that he wants to go young. The only way we can build for the future is to get America's best young players the kind of experience they need in handling the Mosconi pressure. Mark will put us back on the right track.
Agree. Well said.

corvette1340

www.EpawnMarket.com
Silver Member
This is yet another flawed argument thread based on short race tournaments. It's the exact same as all of those idiots that still say Shane isn't the best because he hasn't won any of the handful of events he's travelled to overseas.

Would Mike play Johnny a big race for big money? If the answer is yes, it's because he either hates money or is getting staked by someone. And while I respect Bergman's and the other young guns' games, there is a whole list of guys that would horsef#$% them for the cash.

Dan Marino never won a Super Bowl, so was Trent Dilfer the better QB? Steve Stricker, Lee Westwood, and Sergio Garcia have never won majors but would you rather have Ben Curtis or John Daly putting with your life or money on the line?

I just get extremely tired of people saying that these "tourney" guys are the better player when it's just not the case. If the MC is based on tourney points then let that be the criteria, but don't tell me that Shane isn't better than all of these so called European and Asian champions because he hasn't won a race to 7 tourney overseas. Likewise, don't tell me that Dechaine is the 2nd best American because he finished in the top 10 of a handful of short race tourneys over here.