Mike Dechaine. America's Second Best Player

naji

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Busty and Efren have a real high chance of beating Mike. I would actually call them the favorite. Even if they are old. Archer would probably win to.

You have a bet, remind me when you see any of the older players playing him! on a side note, can you turn your Avatar pic 10 degrees to the left! great pic..

Masayoshi

Fusenshou no Masa
Silver Member
Oscar had a pretty solid year last year, especially at the end. If you are going purely by tournament results, he is certainly in contention with Dechaine. If you are going by opinion, I think there are several veteran players who should fill the #2 spot before both Oscar and Mike.

$4,000 1st East Coast 9-Ball C'Ship
$5,000 5th US Open 9-Ball 2013
$525 5th 2013 Ginky Memorial Open
$1,600 7th Turning Stone XXI
$650 7th US BBox C'ship 2013 8-Ball
$500 7th Andy Mercer Mem.
$1,650 9th US Open 8-Ball 2013
$375 9th US BBox C'ship 2013 9-Ball
$850 13th Turning Stone XX
$150 13th 4th Chet Itow Memorial
$1,700 17th Ultimate 10 Ball 2013
$300 17th SBE 2013 Players C'ship
$175 17th US BBox C'ship 2013 10-Ball
$675 25th US Open 10-Ball 2013
$250 32nd DCC 2013 1P Div.
$1,000 33rd China Open Men's Div. 2013
$100 33rd Jay Swanson Memorial 2013

scttybee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
everybody has an opinion,stu yours is respected more than most..but please understand.
mike d has shown himself to be a good player and nothing else..anytime you hear something about him outside of a tourney setting its him saying something stupid.we have all gotten older which of course includes archer,morris efren busty and the list goes on.aside from that we all have our favorites or ones we know best due to location when the masses dont like an individual they wont want to pay to see them and they surely wont want them to represent our country.a good friend of ours passed away a few years ago and was the first of his kind as far as we knew,he worked out-practiced and played an amazing amount of time.there arent any like him coming anytime soon shane seems to carry himself well..the others i dont know but i do know i couldnt in good conscience support dechaine as representing me.i know the older guys havent been shining stars either but at least they had a track record..dechaine is at the first turn and not looking good.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Endurance is the key in any sports, in pool, focus power endurance is inversely proportional to age, I see older pros resist to changing the length of time it takes to obtain exact focus, therefore, Mike D being young will destroy Johnny, Earl, Efren, Busty in long races, unless he is sick or had bad sleep the night before.

What makes you think Busti has no endurance? I think Mike is the dog to Busti in rotation games and drawing dead in all arounds.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

corvette1340

www.EpawnMarket.com
Silver Member
the guy that said Busty and Johnny would be the dog to Dechaine in a long race should step back from the table and put down the crackpipe.

But he'll bet $100 on it, lol.

warfdiesel

Getting Better
Silver Member
You have a bet, remind me when you see any of the older players playing him! on a side note, can you turn your Avatar pic 10 degrees to the left! great pic..

Action.....If they play we will bet. And yes I thought that was a great picture as well:D

Masayoshi

Fusenshou no Masa
Silver Member
I doubt Mike Dechaine would have anything to do with Bustamante gambling. Not unless he wants to make a habit of getting "horse ****ed"

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
I doubt Mike Dechaine would have anything to do with Bustamante gambling. Not unless he wants to make a habit of getting "horse ****ed"

This is way more poetic and far better framed than my earlier post.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

CanonShooter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dechaine is no where near 2nd.

In our country, there are guys who will put his lights out - JA, Earl, Morris, Schmidt, Eberle, Pinnegar, Moore, Shuff, Ellerman, Sossei, Bartram just to name a few. Guys past their prime but back in their prime like Jeremy Jones will send him to death row.

He also lost to a local player here playing for cheaps while Shane and I watched and laughed along with other local guys.

Internationally he doesn't even make the cut! Morra alone will give him hell. He couldn't get passed Alex P. The Euro Boys: DA, Immonen, Melling, Shaw, Hohmann even Nick the Greek!

He doesn't have enough firepower with the Philipinos. He has never beaten Corteza everytime they play never! And there are other Asians that are contender to Corteza. He got 10-0 @ Rio and it wasn't a bunch of Break n Runs. He just couldn't kick at balls most of the time he got hooked.
picture.php

I disagree with this post! And if it's true then it's sad. Not that I dislike Dechane, but you can't compare Shane's practice discipline to Dechane or anyone and everyone in our country who plays should par up to Shane's dedication then maybe Dechane can be number 2 or even 1 but I highly doubt it. I'm hoping though and I'm hoping for our young hustlers as well. Young Hustlers pedal to the metal practice like hell and follow the Shane Train!

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
In our country, there are guys who will put his lights out - JA, Earl, Morris, Schmidt, Eberle, Pinnegar, Moore, Shuff, Ellerman, Sossei, Bartram just to name a few. Guys past their prime but back in their prime like Jeremy Jones will send him to death row.

Yes, that's your opinion, but the fact is that they haven't put his lights out as their results keep showing --- he has put their lights out. In fact, most of them are always eliminated and on the sidelines while Mike continues to compete in the major events. Dechaine just beat Shane at the Derby in nine ball, just as he did a year ago. Who else, save Rodney and Johnny, among those you list has a win of note over one of the world's most elite lately? Only one I can think of is Pinegar's win over Appleton at the US Open 10-ball, an event in which Dechaine and Pinegar shared 7th.

No doubt, it would be interesting if Mike matched up against either Johnny or Rodney, and I also think it would be very interesting against Justin Bergman. Shane, Mike D, Rodney, Justin B and Johnny are Team USA on merit, but that's not the point for the moment.

Your putting Earl on this list actually made me laugh out loud. Mike demolished him last night with Earl making all the rules and Mike has finished ahead of him in every major event indicated in the original post over the past year. Only the delusional consider Earl to be one of the most elite in America. In the elite events, Earl is consistently a non-factor and only when that changes will I count him among America's most elite.

CanonShooter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your putting Earl on this list actually made me laugh out loud. Mike demolished him last night with Earl making all the rules and Mike has finished ahead of him in every major event indicated in the original post over the past year. Only the delusional consider Earl to be one of the most elite in America. In the elite events, Earl is consistently a non-factor and only when that changes will I count him among America's most elite.

I said the guys that will put Dechanes lights out I didn't say Earl or they were Americas elite. And be careful with your emotional words like demolished - Dechane will never get 5 US Open or even one he will never get one WPA let alone 5 I hope he does as he represents my beloved country but clearly he doesn't have the character or the will.

Sure Dechane beat Shane in tournament anyone can do that but in a long race he can't muster on anyone. The whole world disagrees with your post you're the only one who believes it. Others maybe but not convinced but for the most - NOT....

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I said the guys that will put Dechanes lights out I didn't say Earl or they were Americas elite. And be careful with your emotional words like demolished - Dechane will never get 5 US Open or even one he will never get one WPA let alone 5 I hope he does as he represents my beloved country but clearly he doesn't have the character or the will.

Sure Dechane beat Shane in tournament anyone can do that but in a long race he can't muster on anyone. The whole world disagrees with your post you're the only one who believes it. Others maybe but not convinced but for the most - NOT....

Agreed that Dechaine will not have Earl's career -- but who said he would? The comparison is of them today. Earl is rightly celebrated as one of the all-time greats but his resume is a little thin in the last year or two.

Anyone can beat Shane? At the Derby, Shane went 4-0 in ten ball and 11-1 in nine ball. The only guy who managed to beat him was Mike, who did so in their only meeting. Sorry, but the track record does not bear you out. The truth is that, in a short race, pretty much no American ever beats Shane --- except Mike. Nobody beat Shane at the US Open 9-ball in the short races there either. Sounds to me that you're not giving Shane his due. Two biggest losses by Shane in 2013 were to Biado at the World 9-ball Championships and Appleton at the World Pool Masters. Only the truly elite knock of this superstar, even in a short race format.

Also, I agree that Mike D would be a big longshot to beat Shane in a long race, but the premise of the thread is only that he's the best of the rest among American pros, that his results make it pretty obvious, and that people tend not to give him credit for his accomplishments because they don't like him, and your post evidences this.

Pool is about what you have achieved, not about reputation, and of late, the guys you respect the most haven't achieved much. That doesn't make you wrong to respect and appreciate them, just as I do, but it does show that you have no respect for a player that has outperformed them over and over, and that's really the main point I made in this thread's original post -- that many feel as you do.

I guess you must feel that Mike out-achieves them all with smoke and mirrors.

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
Yes, that's your opinion, but the fact is that they haven't put his lights out as their results keep showing --- he has put their lights out. In fact, most of them are always eliminated and on the sidelines while Mike continues to compete in the major events. Dechaine just beat Shane at the Derby in nine ball, just as he did a year ago. Who else, save Rodney and Johnny, among those you list has a win of note over one of the world's most elite lately? Only one I can think of is Pinegar's win over Appleton at the US Open 10-ball, an event in which Dechaine and Pinegar shared 7th.

No doubt, it would be interesting if Mike matched up against either Johnny or Rodney, and I also think it would be very interesting against Justin Bergman. Shane, Mike D, Rodney, Justin B and Johnny are Team USA on merit, but that's not the point for the moment.

Earl played bad plain an simple. Anyone can win a single race on a single night
MD having Earls number is a joke. They will play again and you can line up for action if you want it.

warfdiesel

Getting Better
Silver Member
Agreed that Dechaine will not have Earl's career -- but who said he would? The comparison is of them today. Earl is rightly celebrated as one of the all-time greats but his resume is a little thin in the last year or two.

Anyone can beat Shane? At the Derby, Shane went 4-0 in ten ball and 11-1 in nine ball. The only guy who managed to beat him was Mike, who did so in their only meeting. Sorry, but the track record does not bear you out. The truth is that, in a short race, pretty much no American ever beats Shane --- except Mike. Nobody beat Shane at the US Open 9-ball in the short races there either. Sounds to me that you're not giving Shane his due. Two biggest losses by Shane in 2013 were to Biado at the World 9-ball Championships and Appleton at the World Pool Masters. Only the truly elite knock of this superstar, even in a short race format.

Also, I agree that Mike D would be a big longshot to beat Shane in a long race, but the premise of the thread is only that he's the best of the rest among American pros, that his results make it pretty obvious, and that people tend not to give him credit for his accomplishments because they don't like him, and your post evidences this.

Pool is about what you have achieved, not about reputation, and of late, the guys you respect the most haven't achieved much. That doesn't make you wrong to respect and appreciate them, just as I do, but it does show that you have no respect for a player that has outperformed them over and over, and that's really the main point I made in this thread's original post -- that many feel as you do.

I guess you must feel that Mike out-achieves them all with smoke and mirrors.

I think you give Mike a little to much credit for these tourny placements. He plays good but is far from the 2nd best overall player in the US. Im with the crowd....most of the veterens we all know would still give him more then he could handle in a long race for the cash.

kvinbrwr

Skee Ball Monster Playa
Gold Member
I think you give Mike a little to much credit for these tourny placements. He plays good but is far from the 2nd best overall player in the US. Im with the crowd....most of the veterens we all know would still give him more then he could handle in a long race for the cash.

All i want to know is, has JAM seen your avatar? (if your answer is "I don't know" - that means NO).

Thanks

Kevin

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
There is a lot to digest in this thread.

Is Mike the second best of all US Players, period? Perhaps, perhaps not. As with everything, the format needs to be considered.

Is he the second best rotation game tournament player, well, the numbers say he is. I think its fair to consider him among the best in the this format. He has finished very high the last few years, be it in money winnings, or Mosconi points when they calculated them.

The long race format is another discussion. Claiming that mike can't beat this pro or that pro in a long race doesn't speak to the original premise of the thread, tournament success.

The other point that was made earlier that I am curious about was the suggestion that Mike and Shane don't get along well, and that should be factored into Mosconi possibilities. I seem to recall that during the week leading up to their TAR match, they were out to eat together, and took turns firing away at each other in what I took as good natured. I realize the MD doesn't get along with JA, Hatch, etc, but I hadn't picked up that being an issue with SVB.