has any one else had pete tonkin

cornerstone

Psalm 91:15
Silver Member
not follow thru on promised work??? i sent him a very rare roswood burl almost 5 years ago and promised the world but never came thru!??? this is soo discouraging he almosed looked at one time that he had promise..

i asked 2 years ago to refund me my stuff and still waiting

cornerstone

Silver Member
yes besides play ability, i can see why his prices havent went any where on the secondary market

bfdlad

T-Wheels
Silver Member
Both comments so far are amazing to me. believe Tonkin has won "cue of the show award at the big cue show so would have thought the secondary market would be good. On the other note I am sorry that you are having issues and again that surprises me. Pete has always been a good guy and always done what he said in business with me. I have in the past had a problem getting a hold of him for one reason or another. I hope you guys get it worked out.
n

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
not follow thru on promised work??? i sent him a very rare roswood burl almost 5 years ago and promised the world but never came thru!??? this is soo discouraging he almosed looked at one time that he had promise..

i asked 2 years ago to refund me my stuff and still waiting

No. I have never had Pete Tonkin not follow through on work.
No. I have never commissioned Pete Tonkin to do work.

But, this is why I am posting:

You sent him a "very rare rosewood burl" almost 5 years ago. If you were concerned, you would have contacted him within a few weeks or months. 2+ years is a long time to decide that you want your "rare rosewood" back.

Given the bad grammar and lack of information, it comes off as if you are trolling.

He builds really ugly cues too:wink:.

Attachments

• attachment-4.jpg
    attachment-4.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 1,555
  • attachment-5.jpeg
    attachment-5.jpeg
    92.3 KB · Views: 1,467
  • attachment-6.jpeg
    attachment-6.jpeg
    92.3 KB · Views: 1,574

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Yeah seriously. Looks to me like a cheap Filipino EBay cue. Probably one of those CnC'd cues. Just push a button, go have a coffee, come back and its done.

I gives you 2 fiddy for it, yes? And only because I like blue veneers.

Beautiful cue tho Buddy. I wouldn't even venture a guess at it.

Last edited:

Worminator

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
yes besides play ability, i can see why his prices havent went any where on the secondary market

Bill - I thought you had a little more class than to post something like this. It's one thing to settle up on a cue owed, but that comment was uncalled for.

FWIIW, I have neve had any issue dealing with Pete, and I have good luck selling his new cues as well as his cues on the secondary market.

SSach

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At least others said it first

I have never dealt with Pete Tonkin but the thread is tasteless and should be deleted. As a cue dealer with influence with collectors and others I am surprised you were not able to get anyone to get a hold of Pete and take care of this offline.

I have sent a good amount of Brazilian Rosewood to cue makers and some are able to deliver in a faster manner. Others require many years and I will continue to patiently wait. Sometimes patience delivers a better outcome than you could imagine.

cornerstone

Silver Member
well then, bad deal post for dead beat, non return call, cuemakers that keep your product, and not promises! well if he does not respond to emails or calls .. i just made a point that it reflects his secondary market.and i have tried resolve this but no response looks to me like this post was very warrented! and it looks like my eye burl ended up in somoneelse cue??? when i could have given it to a reputible cue maker and had a cue in maybee 3 years or less and sold it all ready!!! i ofered him to give me 250.00 back on a 18" eye rosewood burl is a bargain when i was getting 725 for them at that time!..

Iam sorry my post should have read

Pete you compassionate ,kind heared cuemaker. that i so dearly want a response from, send me my money or my wood that you allready used in a cue and sold. or i might let the world know... and in pms iam not the only slighted one by him!

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
Bill,

I have ordered several cues from Pete Tonkin, and have found him to be soft-spoken, honorable, responsive and friendly at every turn in my interactions with him. In addition to his world class cuemaking capabilities.

I also "get it" that when a one-person shop is recognized almost overnight for his cuemaking capabilities it is easy to become "overrun" and have some difficulty in meeting demands for orders. While I don`t like delays any more than you do, I can clearly see how Pete has been working harder and harder as his wait list is getting longer and longer.

Not that you care what my thoughts are on this, nor should you, but playing this in the way you have seems not the best way forward. Just my view.

Will Prout

Last edited:

Pete Tonkin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wood

Bill,

Just so you know why I never responded to your last email. I worked four days straight in the shop working on a cue for a customer and drank way to many energy drinks and came very close to ending up in the hospital. While I was taking it easy waiting for my heart to get back to normal I built a new computer and had no internet and never recived your email tell today.

As for your piece of wood I thought it was sent back to you a long time ago. I found it in the shop tucked a way in a box and it's going in the mail to you tomarrow.

As for my cues and my dealings with you the picture below is of some cues I build for one customer over the past few years. I have also build alot of cues for other collectors and players.

But I never build one cue for you, hUh I wonder why that is !!!

This will be my one and only post to this thread and Bill I wish you a good life.

rosewood (1024x152).jpg

IMG_4847_zpsdf70116a.jpg

buddha162

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bill,

Just so you know why I never responded to your last email. I worked four days straight in the shop working on a cue for a customer and drank way to many energy drinks and came very close to ending up in the hospital. While I was taking it easy waiting for my heart to get back to normal I built a new computer and had no internet and never recived your email tell today.

As for your piece of wood I thought it was sent back to you a long time ago. I found it in the shop tucked a way in a box and it's going in the mail to you tomarrow.

As for my cues and my dealings with you the picture below is of some cues I build for one customer over the past few years. I have also build alot of cues for other collectors and players.

This will be my one and only post to this thread and Bill I wish you a good life.

View attachment 360277

View attachment 360278

He doesn't want your cue anyway, since they don't sell on the secondary market :rolleyes:

Maybe Bill can have someone build a bow out of that piece of wood.

Bill,

View attachment 360277

View attachment 360278

If I were a richer man without a doubt I would get a custom wrapless from you sir. Your work is truly groundbreaking. Keep fading the hate...

phil dade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Two short things and hopefully conclude on a positive for both.

Bill, remember I called you 6 months ago wanting to buy a special piece of wood. I wanted a Brazilian Rosewood Burl. I would like to buy this piece.

Pete, I have admired your work. This line up of cues leaves me speechless. Usually I can find something in a group of cues to change. This lineup is as good as can ever get. Great detail, great design and great execution.

MOJOE

Work Hard, Be Humble. jbk
Silver Member
Pete, your work is amazing. The statements about your cues value on the secondary market are laughable at best.
Your response was classy and legible, far more than the OP provided us with. Keep up the good work! I'd be honored to own one of your cues one day!

Poolshootindon

Registered Pool Offender
Silver Member
This is the 21st Century

Bill,

I have ordered several cues from Pete Tonkin, and have found him to be soft-spoken, honorable, responsive and friendly at every turn in my interactions with him. In addition to his world class cuemaking capabilities.

I also "get it" that when a one-person shop is recognized almost overnight for his cuemaking capabilities it is easy to become "overrun" and have some difficulty in meeting demands for orders. While I don`t like delays any more than you do, I can clearly see how Pete has been working harder and harder as his wait list is getting longer and longer.

Not that you care what my thoughts are on this, nor should you, but playing this in the way you have seems not the best way forward. Just my view.

Will Prout

How about a simple phone call or email to Bill. Oh wait, cue makers work by a different clock and probably don't have time to respond to the people keeping them in business.

Last edited: