Did I hear this right?

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
During the American 14.1 stream, I thought I heard one of the commentators quote Conrad Juszczyszyn as saying that there are 30 players in Poland who play better than him.

Anyone else catch that?

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
During the American 14.1 stream, I thought I heard one of the commentators quote Conrad Juszczyszyn as saying that there are 30 players in Poland who play better than him.

Anyone else catch that?

According to the ranking Konrad Juszczyszyn is n.5 polish player atm. There are about 20 polish players who can beat each other on any given day with their elite being (apart from Konrad Juszczyszyn) Mieszko Fortunski, Wojciech Szewczyk, Mariusz Skoneczny, Marek Kudlik, Konrad Piekarski, Michal Turkowski, Karol Skowerski, Mateusz Sniegocki, Radoslaw Babica and Tomasz Kaplan. As far as 14.1 goes Tomasz Kaplan is the best of them with the high run over 300, since 2011 he won 1x gold, 2x silver and 2x bronze medal in 14.1 at European pool championships.

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Poland is the European Philippines.

That is absolutely true, pool is treated like a sport there with corporate sponsors sponsoring pool teams. Team competition is BIG in Poland as well as their "Pol Tour", also tons of young kids playing the sport at schools (polish federation was able to put pool tables in many schools across the country).

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

Anyone else catch that?

Poland is the European Philippines.

This reminds me of years ago when Jose Parica took America by storm.
A reporter said to him “How does a great player like you come out of nowhere?”
Jose said “I had to leave the Philippines.....I couldn’t beat anybody there.” :smile:

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
According to the ranking Konrad Juszczyszyn is n.5 polish player atm. There are about 20 polish players who can beat each other on any given day with their elite being (apart from Konrad Juszczyszyn) Mieszko Fortunski, Wojciech Szewczyk, Mariusz Skoneczny, Marek Kudlik, Konrad Piekarski, Michal Turkowski, Karol Skowerski, Mateusz Sniegocki, Radoslaw Babica and Tomasz Kaplan. As far as 14.1 goes Tomasz Kaplan is the best of them with the high run over 300, since 2011 he won 1x gold, 2x silver and 2x bronze medal in 14.1 at European pool championships.

Check the Y chromosome on Babica and Kaplan. Those do not sound like Polish names.

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member

I don't think I've ever seen that many Ks in one paragraph before.

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Check the Y chromosome on Babica and Kaplan. Those do not sound like Polish names.

Actually "kaplan" means "priest" in polish language, "babica" probably (not 100% sure) has its roots in "grandma" or "old lady" ;) So i would say these are very polish names :D

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
That is absolutely true, pool is treated like a sport there with corporate sponsors sponsoring pool teams. Team competition is BIG in Poland as well as their "Pol Tour", also tons of young kids playing the sport at schools (polish federation was able to put pool tables in many schools across the country).

Pool in schools! Wonder why the BCA never thought of that? :rolleyes: