Team USA telling results at the US Open?

leto1776

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What's sad is that some of these guys dream is coming true and most Americans can't do anything but make them feel not good enough. We had the all-star team last year and it was a disgrace. I could care less to read any of these Mosconi threads anymore, it's always the same shit.

every thread about the MC has been a broken record/ gournhog day for months now, I agree.

personally, I'm skeptical of the U.S. team's chances this year, but I just feel I'm being realistic and pragmatic.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JAM you mentioned that Sky is a first rate guy. I haven't met Sky but have you met Chris Futrell? There's another first rate guy. Also early 20s, is a Virginia State Champion and is having a great US Open this year. He's on the left side waiting for Strickland or Majid.

Andy

Oh, heck yeah. I've known Chris since he was a pup, competing in the Virginia State Championship in Richmond at the sweet age of 15. In fact, he and Keith met in the finals. It was like the Old Guard versus the New Guard. Chris' family gave him a ride to and from the pool room and were very supportive of Chris' pursuit in pool competitions. I liked that. Here's a copy-and-paste of my update for AzBilliards at a time when I really enjoyed writing on this forum:

There is nothing better than a tournament down South, and this weekend, the Virginia State 9-Ball Championship was no exception. Held at The Playing Field in Richmond, there was a full field of 64 with 10 hopeful players on the waiting list. Tournament Director Josh Dickerson pulled off a perfect event the second year in a row.

Todd Elkins of Parrot Cues was the main sponsor, and his business has skyrocketed in recent years, due to high-quality workmanship. Wanting to give back to the pool community, his contributions to getting this event going is greatly appreciated.

Needless to say, I am on cloud nine this morning after witnessing one of the BEST finals of the year between 48-year-old Keith McCready and 15-year-old Chris Futrell. Every now and then in my travels, I get the opportunity to see champions in the making, and make no mistake about it, Chris Futrell is the real deal.

Keith knocked Chris to the B side of the chart earlier in the tournament, but the match could have gone either way, ending up in a tension-filled hill-hill, with Keith coming out on top. Chris knocked down quite a few heavy-hitters on his way to the finals and was definitely the crowd favorite. The youngster had a table-side demeanor of a seasoned pro, maintaining his game face throughout the match. His break is powerful, and he can run out better than most seasoned veterans. It was truly a joy to witness this kid on a field of green, and be sure to check him out at the upcoming U.S. Open. He is one pool-playing machine.

Chris' mom dropped him off each day at The Playing Field, but left him alone to do battle, not wanting to make him nervous. So, while Chris was fighting his way to the top, she took the rest of the family to the movies and hoped for the best. Chris called her up on his cell phone between each and every match, giving her the updates. She knows Chris has talent and supports him 100 percent. Here's an example of a kid who grew up playing pool at Q-Masters pool room and pursued his dream to be all that he can be, and it paid off. And he's only 15 years old.

Chris and Keith lagged for the break in the finals in this double-elimination format, with one extended race to 11 for the championship. Keith missed it by a mile, and Chris got the first break. I think Keith was a little cold sitting on the rail waiting for the losers' bracket to play out, but his first shot at the table, he managed to win 4 games in a row, with a couple of break-and-runs, making the score 4-zip. I was feeling a wee bit more comfortable sitting on the rail at this juncture with my horse in the race having a 4-game lead, but that was soon replaced with tension and lots of nail-biting.

Chris was cool as a cucumber and just waited patiently for an opportunity to get back to the table, and when he did, he let Keith know he was there. Soon the score was 5 to 5, and I began to sweat bullets watching the child pool phenom execute perfect safety plays and a few break-and-runs of his own, and before I knew it, Chris snatched the lead, 7 to 5, as Keith sat helplessly watching this youngster give it his all. The shot of the finals had to have been when Keith executed a perfect safety play that would have made Efren Reyes scratch his head, but Chris didn't bat an eyelash and managed to not only make a good hit, but pocketed the ball with a two-rail bank. The crowd became unglued, and Futrell now had the momentum to keep it going.

The pockets on the GC's were not friendly to the pool players this weekend. They were tighter than most, and I heard from the previous House Pro of The Playing Field, John Dagonhartt, that the materials used for the rubber was harder than most. So, when a player would try to cheat the pocket or hit the ball with a little draw, sometimes it would bounce and wiggle back and forth, leaving the next player in line a duck.

Showing no fear whatsoever, Chris was running out like a machine. The turning point in the set had to have been when the score was 7 to 5, Chris' favor. He hit a 7-ball with authority, but it wouldn't drop, thanks to those unforgiving pockets, and it just lay there for the taking. McCready seized the golden opportunity, and soon tied the score, 7 to 7 going to 11. The remaining few games were mostly all Keith's with the final score of 11 to 8.

Here is a picture of Runner-Up Chris Futrell, Tournament Director Josh Dickerson, and Keith McCready, the new 2005 Virginia State 9-Ball Champion!

Attachments

• Chris Furtrell, Josh Dickerson, and Keith.JPG
    Chris Furtrell, Josh Dickerson, and Keith.JPG
    21.4 KB · Views: 423

jayburger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While we're at it i think about a year ago chip compton was playing as good as any of our mc8 - shane. Also josh roberts is playing real good but one hole is his best game. I know he plays all games real good and is not a one trick pony. We have alot of guys in there 20,s up and coming. The deal is( as its always has been in the us) will they focus on tournament play and improving as professionals or matching up gambling and living the road life( which is about the only way to survive in the us as a pool player and with that comes the lifestyle that players often fall into ) its a tough choice to make and unfortunately more players choose the latter.

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
About two weeks ago, a bunch of overachieving young kids took out the number one team in baseball. This week they took out the number two team. Someone want to tell me who the stars are on that team? Just a bunch of young guys with a dream. Their manager? A guy with an unusual style of play. Perhaps we should give our MC team some slack? As Yogi said, "it ain't over till its over!". Just saying.

Lyn

ScottyDzntKnow

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
every thread about the MC has been a broken record/ gournhog day for months now, I agree.

personally, I'm skeptical of the U.S. team's chances this year, but I just feel I'm being realistic and pragmatic.

Justin Hall has beat Alex and Sossei with a combined score of 22-7 and is beating Van den berg 9-5 as we speak, and he beat Wang Can second round of the winners side. But, everyone is right he has no right to be a candidate for the MC :rolleyes:

nplum24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
About two weeks ago, a bunch of overachieving young kids took out the number one team in baseball. This week they took out the number two team. Someone want to tell me who the stars are on that team? Just a bunch of young guys with a dream. Their manager? A guy with an unusual style of play. Perhaps we should give our MC team some slack? As Yogi said, "it ain't over till its over!". Just saying.

Lyn

Love this! It is not always about having the best players....its about having the Best Team!! Sitting ring side and observing 3 Mosconi Cups, the thing Europe had us beat at every time was team chemistry. They sat as a team, they played as a team and stayed focused even when not shooting vs USA team sitting with family and friends between them and sometimes appearing disinterested or showing agitation to there fellow team mates.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Love this! It is not always about having the best players....its about having the Best Team!! Sitting ring side and observing 3 Mosconi Cups, the thing Europe had us beat at every time was team chemistry. They sat as a team, they played as a team and stayed focused even when not shooting vs USA team sitting with family and friends between them and sometimes appearing disinterested or showing agitation to there fellow team mates.

Really it's only the MD huggers that don't undestand this ,,

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I think players who play only for cash are at a huge disadvantage when you compare them to those playing for pride, the accolades, the trophy and the recognition they get from their peers and on and on and on. But if your playing just for the cash ''all the time'' your more likely to never reach your true ability. This alone is a huge advantage that a Player like Thorston has over many others, he's playing for something allot different, it has much more meaning to him than Money. Like Souquet said....the money will be spent, but the trophy and the recognition and the record books are there forever.

Last edited:

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
Do you think different? I'm not trying to make a MC argument but dogged 8 or not most of our 8 aren't in the same class as Mike. I'm not a Mike hanger but nor am I ignorant. There a maybe 1 other on the MC 8 that would be even close and one could argue possibly 2 on their best days, outside of that not many are willing to even try and argue the point. Like Mike or not he's our 2nd best rotation player if he never gets picked

No, I don't see it differently than you, so we both agree he would fill in 2nd behind SVB of the MC-8. That said, I certainly don't want to take away any praise for ability of the youngin's that comprise the MC8. They ALL put on a great performance at the US Open (IMO).

If this is a harbinger of things to come, some may be quite surprised at how well they do in December. :thumbup:

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
bar table image

This "bar table" image being laid on Sky needs to cease and desist. He can play all games on all tables. He ain't no one-trick pony.

Sky for Team USA --THIS YEAR!

Yes. Players including a certain Mr. Varner and a guy they call "Buddy" also played a lot of bar table pool in their lives...

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
singles vs. team play

Or shuff.really. Again not trying to put down our players that are going to be named to our team, im gonna pull for the usa regardless i just know mike d. Is a better player (rotation pool) than any of these guys.

The Mosconi Cup will still be a team event this year as I understand it.

Someone who is tough in long singles money matches does not necessarily make a great team player.

De420MadHatter

SicBiNature
Silver Member
Justin hall just beat pagulayan and sossei beat oushan. These are impressive wins for two of our potential mosconi reps. I am also impressed with this chris bruner kid. I think ive heard from a road buddy of mine that hes out of the blacksburg va. Area . I posted earlier in this thread that i think mike dechaine is a no brainer for the mosconi cup and my opinion has not and will not change concerning that. But with that being said if the reason mark is going with the guys hes choosing is for youthful pride and comraderie im cool with it at least for this year because we obviously have had zero success recently and a change is in order and these guys are the future. Are these guys favorites over rodney,earl, dechaine in 10 or 9 ball. No. But can they win fairly short races against them. Absolutely. If nothing else i hope this starts a fire in the us players spirits and in the future the best 5 players are named to the team and they (young or old) play and behave with the fire that representing your country should make you feel. Jason

He says it all right here ^^^^!!! End of discussion.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I was very impressed with the performance of both Justin Hall and Justin Bergman. They both showed they have no fear of any player, and can compete with anybody on even terms. Corey also played well this week and Jeremy had some good results as well against excellent players. And of course we all know that Shane is a match for anyone.

I know that Team USA is a big underdog this year, but I for one will not be surprised to see a very close Mosconi Cup. In these short races, it's all about keeping your nerves in check and I think we've got the right guys for that job. Like many of you I was very impressed with Mike Dechaine's play at the Open. He is definitely a world class player who is capable of beating anyone on a given day. More than that he has matured as a person and player. I'm sure that he will be a mainstay on Team USA for many years to come. He's ready now to perform on this stage, where he may not have been before.

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I was very impressed with the performance of both Justin Hall and Justin Bergman. They both showed they have no fear of any player, and can compete with anybody on even terms. Corey also played well this week and Jeremy had some good results as well against excellent players. And of course we all know that Shane is a match for anyone.

I think we have a shot if that's our team. The guys have been head and shoulders above the other three of the "Mosconi 8", none of whom cashed in the US Open. I had always viewed Justin Bergman as the #2 player on this team, but now I'd have to say that Bergman and Hall are 2A and 2B.

pro9dg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think that there will be too many surprises when the five names are announced by Mark and Matchroom soon.
Also., if you see the list for the World Pool Masters then you could possibly guess the last two names on the Euro Team