Hi, let's talk about Chinese 8-Ball

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
What's the main differences between American 8 ball and Chinese 8 ball?
Snooker style pockets on a smaller table than a standard sized Snooker table.

My Olympic Cue Sport vote goes to:
Round Pool
I like the original version with corner pockets.

Attachments

• IMG_0955.jpg
    IMG_0955.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 294
  • IMG_0846.JPG
    IMG_0846.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 290
Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Snooker style pockets on a smaller table.

Same playing surface (2540 x 1270 mm) on a Chinese 8-Ball table as on a regular "American" 4½' x 9' pool table.

....snooker cloth with directional nap takes some getting used to....
...spinning with the nap resembles playing on worsted....
...against the nap holds a few surprises...
...shooting across the nap is hard on the head.

The only cure, IMO, is to play on nap cloth until you don't have to think about it anymore.
....your instincts take over.

we.mazza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am sorry your post was deleted but my opinion is worthless around here. My experience around here for me being an ex gold member but not being associated with a billiard related business has changed the way I see things on this site. To me the experience I have on here has changed from what it was when I first started to come to this site. Recently I only check in every few days when I started it was hard to get me off this site. Maybe it is that I have read so many of the same types of threads that I am losing interest in this site.

If I had a lot of knowledge about Chinese 8 Ball I would certainly try and share it in a thread but I would simply leave out any association to any pool related business. People reading it may ask a lot of questions and as long as you answer them correctly and in a very knowledgable way you will build up a reputation as being the one to ask. That is better than letting people know where you work simply to gain their trust. Build the trust based upon your knowledge and not where you work or what you do.

Thanks for your kind words!To be honest,it's my personal passion of Chinese 8-ball that makes me here to introduce this kind of sport.Your advice are sincere,I will continue to try my best to answer questions and share knowledge about Chinese 8-ball.:grin:

Kevin3824

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here are some questions about Chinese 8 Ball. Is there a governing body for the game? Are there international standardized rules? Do the rules specify equipment such as thickness of slate, Type thickness, or speed of cloth? Size of playing area? Diameter and weight of balls? Specific cue lengths/ weight range or even materials allowed for equipment manufacture?

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It looks like you missed my question in post #44. I'll ask it again. According to you the OP was advertising as well as contributing and because of the advertising he should have to buy a gold membership or be censored. Do you feel that Vivian Villareal should also have to buy a gold membership or be censored since she was advertising even more and contributing even less than the OP? Yes or no question. If no, please explain why you feel she should be treated differently.

While we are at it, like the OP you also contribute and advertise (by having a link to the cues you are selling in your signature). In fact, you advertise more than the OP did because you do it in every single post and not just some of them, and you do it far more blatantly that he ever did as well. Should you also have to buy a gold membership or be censored? If not, please explain why you feel you should be treated differently than the OP.

well I never mention my cues on here in threads for one thing. I do have a link to my facebook page, just as many others, and I don't sell cues there either. But, it just so happens I have been a gold member here the majority of my membership which is something like 8 years or so to date, it just happens to have expired, though I will in all likelyhood renew it at some point.

Back to the point of this thread though, can anyone recite one answer this guy has given yet about chinese 8 ball other than this guy is an employee of the company who makes the tables and he thinks everyone will like it if they try it. I haven't seen him answer anything yet beyond that. He was asked specific questions by me and others, and even to post the rules,,,,,,,,, none of which has he responded to directly.

Want a response? Buy a table. Maybe!

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
well I never mention my cues on here in threads for one thing. I do have a link to my facebook page, just as many others, and I don't sell cues there either. But, it just so happens I have been a gold member here the majority of my membership which is something like 8 years or so to date, it just happens to have expired, though I will in all likelyhood renew it at some point.

Back to the point of this thread though, can anyone recite one answer this guy has given yet about chinese 8 ball other than this guy is an employee of the company who makes the tables and he thinks everyone will like it if they try it. I haven't seen him answer anything yet beyond that. He was asked specific questions by me and others, and even to post the rules,,,,,,,,, none of which has he responded to directly.

Want a response? Buy a table. Maybe!

I think whether he was advertising is debatable and was pretty borderline at best. It certainly wasn't blatant. What isn't debatable though is that yourself and Vivian advertise far more blatantly, and that you still didn't answer the question. Should you and Vivian be forced to buy a gold membership or be censored since you are advertising even more blatantly, and if not then why should you be treated differently?

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here are some questions about Chinese 8 Ball. Is there a governing body for the game? Are there international standardized rules? Do the rules specify equipment such as thickness of slate, Type thickness, or speed of cloth? Size of playing area? Diameter and weight of balls? Specific cue lengths/ weight range or even materials allowed for equipment manufacture?

... Back to the point of this thread though, can anyone recite one answer this guy has given yet about chinese 8 ball other than this guy is an employee of the company who makes the tables and he thinks everyone will like it if they try it. I haven't seen him answer anything yet beyond that. He was asked specific questions by me and others, and even to post the rules,,,,,,,,, none of which has he responded to directly. ...

Posted by we.mazza a couple weeks ago:

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=454318

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=454319

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=454320

Kevin3824

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the links. That answered a lot but I am still left with questions about the tables used. The links specify the playing area to be 100 x 50 in. Which is the same as an American 9 x 4 1/2 ft table. It does not specify thickness of slate. For that matter it does not specify bed material at all. I have watched a video on home leisure direct that talks of the table being 9 x 5 which I believe is not accurate but it shows the table to have slate several inches thick. He speaks of the cushions not only being snooker style and shape but also backed by steel. He also mentioned that the tables in tournament were heated and double shaved number 10 nap cloth. He said the table weighed in at 1.2 tons and that table was not heated. Seems to me that a table that heavy would be a lot to get delivered and setup let alone imported.

When I look online here in America I do not see any Chinese eight ball tables like that made or distributed that are anything close to the specs he claimed are used in tournaments in China. Is this just another case of if you want a table you have to custom order it from a manufacturer and specify everything about the table individually? Are people expected to research it to a level of knowing what material they should be ordering the cushions to be made of? Honestly I am not sure I have seen any table manufacturers in the USA that offer slate more than two inches thick nor do I know if that would be noticeably different than one inch thick slate. Maybe as a player you can enlighten me more as to how thicker slate will play different or its advantage.

smashmouth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
partner the concept its a 9x4.5 snooker table with elevated rail heights, that's it

everything else is from the 4 inch slate to lack of diamonds is manufacturer preferance

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The rail heights aren't elevated, they are box rails and so just have a big vertical flat like english snooker and no points. There is no way they use slate several inches thick either.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
60 million viewers??? In 2015 China's population was 1.371 billion people and if my math is correct, that means LESS than 5% of the population cares about Chinese 8 ball....i thought it was big over there?

smashmouth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The rail heights aren't elevated, they are box rails and so just have a big vertical flat like english snooker and no points. There is no way they use slate several inches thick either.

you're wrong, they are elevated in comparison to a 9 ft snooker table using those same cushions

again, a chinese 8 ball table is a 9ft snooker table with higher rails to accomodate the larger pool balls

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you're wrong, they are elevated in comparison to a 9 ft snooker table using those same cushions

again, a chinese 8 ball table is a 9ft snooker table with higher rails to accomodate the larger pool balls

I don't know what you are calling elevated, and don't think you do either. European snooker tables do not have points on the cushions, but rather box cushions, which is a vertical flat section the cue ball contacts, that spans well above and below the contact point of the ball.

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
I don't know what you are calling elevated, and don't think you do either. European snooker tables do not have points on the cushions, but rather box cushions, which is a vertical flat section the cue ball contacts, that spans well above and below the contact point of the ball.

The center of the cushion is raised to match the center of the larger American pool balls. Duh.

Last edited:

we.mazza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the links. That answered a lot but I am still left with questions about the tables used. The links specify the playing area to be 100 x 50 in. Which is the same as an American 9 x 4 1/2 ft table. It does not specify thickness of slate. For that matter it does not specify bed material at all. I have watched a video on home leisure direct that talks of the table being 9 x 5 which I believe is not accurate but it shows the table to have slate several inches thick. He speaks of the cushions not only being snooker style and shape but also backed by steel. He also mentioned that the tables in tournament were heated and double shaved number 10 nap cloth. He said the table weighed in at 1.2 tons and that table was not heated. Seems to me that a table that heavy would be a lot to get delivered and setup let alone imported.

When I look online here in America I do not see any Chinese eight ball tables like that made or distributed that are anything close to the specs he claimed are used in tournaments in China. Is this just another case of if you want a table you have to custom order it from a manufacturer and specify everything about the table individually? Are people expected to research it to a level of knowing what material they should be ordering the cushions to be made of? Honestly I am not sure I have seen any table manufacturers in the USA that offer slate more than two inches thick nor do I know if that would be noticeably different than one inch thick slate. Maybe as a player you can enlighten me more as to how thicker slate will play different or its advantage.

OK,bro,thanks for your quesitons, i answer these two questions in one post.
The governing body is International Chinese Eight Ball Association (ICEA);
YES, I have posted the international rules ,the links below:
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=454318

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=454319

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=454320

The thickness of slate is 43mm;Sorry i don't know the type thickness and speed of cloth clearly,the cloth of Tournament tables takes NO.10 cloth in a company;
The size of table's internal frame:2540mm*1260mm;
Ball: tournment pool balls in a company diameter:57.15mm weight:156-170g.
Cue: no less than 1016mm
There is no specific require for materials or equipment manufacture.
The Cushion of Chinese 8-ball tables is “┓”steel cushion with Britain patent which is supported by steel structure,so the flexibility of cushion is almost same.The cloth of Chinese 8-ball Masters tournamnet tables is made of pure wool,which makes the balls fastest on cloth.
Chinese 8-ball tables are heavy,not same as American pool table,these tables are in forme of PART during the period of leaving the factory and transporting, and then install on site after having arrived at the destination.
I 'd better to avoid some quesitons concerning commercial promotion ,but i could say that there are some good plans for American market.About table production,by now there is no intention to search the manufacture partners in the USA.

we.mazza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
60 million viewers??? In 2015 China's population was 1.371 billion people and if my math is correct, that means LESS than 5% of the population cares about Chinese 8 ball....i thought it was big over there?

yes,the number is right ,you calculate also right ,60 million is the number of TV views ,there is a much larger amount of online audience.