The BeCue System - Carbon Composite Cue - Interview with the Cue Makers

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
WOW! Another positive and candid response in support of this cue.
JoeyA

I am holding up on my review while I work with the cue and tweak it a bit. The good things exceed the negative in my opinion.

I will say it does not have the same kind of feedback as a wooden cue. Please understand that this cue is something entirely different than what we are used to, so it is difficult to describe. It's a cue made up of completely synthetic materials laminated around a mold and finished to appear like a conventional wooden pool cue. There are no lathes, no wood, no sanding. It is hollow throughout, filled with foam to deaden the sound and the shaft is painted.

That being said, the cue is extremely consistent in off center hits. As far as feel, this is the lowest variation on feedback from shot to shot I've experienced. An English shot feels and sounds pretty much like a center ball shot. Follow feels and sounds like draw and vice versa. The cue penetrates the space of the cue ball better than any cue I've played with. There is zero feeling of glancing off the cue ball yet it does not seem tip heavy. All this may sounds odd - but it's very odd to me as well. The feel or feedback will come from the visual results of the shot because all shots tend to feel the same. That being said, there are no big surprises either. It is the most what-you-shoot-is-what-you-get cue I've ever played with.

I'm no pro but I have a respectable Fargorate of 622. I'm looking to increase that. I believe this cue could help eliminate errors that stem from cue inconsistencies and limitations. I can tell you already that there are some position shots I am comfortable with that I don't like to play with my current LD shaft.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your report was thorough and AWESOME.

Some of the people reading your report should know that you can play pool quite well. (That's always a plus)

Anyway, your report of the BeCue almost makes me want to go to the Super Billiard Expo just to see and test their cues and perhaps make a purchase of it.

Thanks again for the great report.

JoeyA

Thanks for the compliments, Joey A.

You won't be disappointed when you try it out. You'll just want to play with it more.
I look forward to hearing your thoughts as well.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am holding up on my review while I work with the cue and tweak it a bit. The good things exceed the negative in my opinion.

I will say it does not have the same kind of feedback as a wooden cue. Please understand that this cue is something entirely different than what we are used to, so it is difficult to describe. It's a cue made up of completely synthetic materials laminated around a mold and finished to appear like a conventional wooden pool cue. There are no lathes, no wood, no sanding. It is hollow throughout, filled with foam to deaden the sound and the shaft is painted.

That being said, the cue is extremely consistent in off center hits. As far as feel, this is the lowest variation on feedback from shot to shot I've experienced. An English shot feels and sounds pretty much like a center ball shot. Follow feels and sounds like draw and vice versa. The cue penetrates the space of the cue ball better than any cue I've played with. There is zero feeling of glancing off the cue ball yet it does not seem tip heavy. All this may sounds odd - but it's very odd to me as well. The feel or feedback will come from the visual results of the shot because all shots tend to feel the same. That being said, there are no big surprises either. It is the most what-you-shoot-is-what-you-get cue I've ever played with.

I'm no pro but I have a respectable Fargorate of 622. I'm looking to increase that. I believe this cue could help eliminate errors that stem from cue inconsistencies and limitations. I can tell you already that there are some position shots I am comfortable with that I don't like to play with my current LD shaft.

Tate, you did in a few paragraphs what I just couldn't do with over a thousand words.
Your description just hit the nail on the head and drove the golden spike home.

It's just hard to put into words and you did it.

Well done and I anticipate your more thorough review in the future.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Tate.

As I suspected there are aspects of this cue that are so outside the box as to defy explanation in traditional terms. I think you did a pretty good job though.

That consistency and lack of vibration is interesting.

Perhaps we can call it tranparency? It sounds like the cue does everything it can to stay out of attention. That leaves only the result to judge as you say.

I wanted to think "numb" but now I'll think "transparent".

I was late getting to your question, but I'm glad I did because, as you saw, Tate answered and wrote it better than I could.
His description of the hit is what I was trying to get at and I 100% concur with him.

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And this my friends is Europe finest engineering versus the Predator idiots that gave us a 13mm Revo LD synthetic shaft... :thumbup:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was late getting to your question, but I'm glad I did because, as you saw, Tate answered and wrote it better than I could.
His description of the hit is what I was trying to get at and I 100% concur with him.

Thank you. Good to know you two have a consensus on the matter.

Truly hard to understand anyway, it is so outside what we are used to.

So often we talk about how we love the "hit". Hard to imagine enjoying a great part of that being erased and being excited about it.

But obviously at least a couple people are excited. So...I have to keep an open mind and try to understand. At some point I am sure I will know for myself. But I am not yet a buyer.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you. Good to know you two have a consensus on the matter.

Truly hard to understand anyway, it is so outside what we are used to.

So often we talk about how we love the "hit". Hard to imagine enjoying a great part of that being erased and being excited about it.

But obviously at least a couple people are excited. So...I have to keep an open mind and try to understand. At some point I am sure I will know for myself. But I am not yet a buyer.

Absolutely understand about "love the hit" and I'll also add that is not erased here.
I have quite a few different brands of shafts and I've always found the tip has a lot to do with the type of hit.
The shafts would each have characteristics in regards to the noise (too hollow, too high pitched, solid, etc.)
The quality of hit can mean many things to many different folks in regards to the cue together, the butt construction, shaft, tip, etc.

Here you have a shaft that plays solid...So it feels/sounds/hits like a solid maple, but also has low deflection.

I played a Z2 a few years back into the point where I could feel the vibration had increased with age and hours put on the shaft. It was described by a cue maker to me that with smaller diameter LD shafts, the wood fibers will tend to weaken and separate after many hours of play, so it's been described as a "whippy" flex feel on hard extreme English shots.

Let's face it, wood shafts (especially at smaller diameters 12mm and below) have a shelf life. Look at Shane's main shaft and how it cracked at the derby this year mid tournament.

So what if a cue can be created that doesn't have a shelf life, doesn't change with years of play, hits the same....and all you have to worry about is the tip as the only intangible factor in the equation?

Are we there yet? I'm not sure but this cue is a great start. I'll be curious to see how it performs after 100 hours, then 300 hours.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you for a great review! Hopefully Becue cathches on and provides customisation options in the future. They are off to a good start it seeems :wink:

Yes, these guys are at the point where they are trying to get the product out. So they are going above and beyond and proving carbon composite can be adjusted to the player.

For me they made at 12.0mm shaft at 31" with a custom butt at 31", so I could now eliminate my 4" mid cue extension and now have one joint with correct balanced weight.

This shows they are working to try to cater to the player and your specifications.
When dealing with carbon composite, you have a cue that can't be modified in shape or size, and these guys know it and want you to be happy.

They feel the best results from their testing are with the standard 11.8mm 5.1 shaft, but they are willing to work with you and have great communication.
Toss them an email and see what they can do for you.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did I understand their marketing video on swerve correctly? It showed the BeCue "swerves" the same on different speed shots, while other cues do not. They specifically were talking about swerve, not squirt, and not the combined effects of squirt plus swerve.

If that was indeed their message, that is flat out incorrect. Swerve happens due to the spin on the ball, and happens after the CB has separated from the tip. The stick has no influence on the swerve.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just read almost every word on their website. I'm scratching my head, but its all marketing talk. There is no substance. Take this passage about the "Aurora" front end (cut and pasted below in blue). It doesn't actually say what it is! There is no real info. The rest of the site is much the same.

http://www.becueofficial.com/en/aurora-front-end.html

The dawn of a new era for billiards. Breathe, relax, forget, have fun: do what you really want to do.
Imagine being able to think only about the shot that you're making, imagine being able to clear your mind of any inkling of what will happen next. Imagine that each of your shots is the best shot. Imagine being able to stop having to constantly correct your shots to compensate for the displacement of your pool cue.
Now stop imagining: Aurora Front End Technology is a reality.
After years of research, studies, trials, and tests with the technical collaboration of international professionals in the game of billiards, we have produced a shaft with the most advanced technology available on the market.
Aurora Front End Technology completely redefines the concept of the billiard cue. We have brought the level of precision to the farthest reaches of the possible. And we have done this in order to give the player the best performance and the greatest comfort while playing the game.
The special Aurora patented system is a solution that revolutionizes the concept of displacement (deflection) of the pool cue. Finally, you can focus solely on the game. Your game. Each shot will be the exact result of your will and, clearly, of your ability. Stop trying to learn how to use your pool cue right now and concentrate your energies purely on improving your technique.

JoeyA

Silver Member
Good Lord! They used my signature blue fonts???

JoeyA

I just read almost every word on their website. I'm scratching my head, but its all marketing talk. There is no substance. Take this passage about the "Aurora" front end (cut and pasted below in blue). It doesn't actually say what it is! There is no real info. The rest of the site is much the same.

The dawn of a new era for billiards. Breathe, relax, forget, have fun: do what you really want to do.
Imagine being able to think only about the shot that you're making, imagine being able to clear your mind of any inkling of what will happen next. Imagine that each of your shots is the best shot. Imagine being able to stop having to constantly correct your shots to compensate for the displacement of your pool cue.
After years of research, studies, trials, and tests with the technical collaboration of international professionals in the game of billiards, we have produced a shaft with the most advanced technology available on the market.
Aurora Front End Technology completely redefines the concept of the billiard cue. We have brought the level of precision to the farthest reaches of the possible. And we have done this in order to give the player the best performance and the greatest comfort while playing the game.
The special Aurora patented system is a solution that revolutionizes the concept of displacement (deflection) of the pool cue. Finally, you can focus solely on the game. Your game. Each shot will be the exact result of your will and, clearly, of your ability. Stop trying to learn how to use your pool cue right now and concentrate your energies purely on improving your technique.

JoeyA

Silver Member
IusedToBeRich,

I'm not sure what you understood about their explanation on swerve but the snipped image below clearly shows that the combined amount of swerve and cue ball deflection is different on shots of slow, medium and fast shots.

It shows the that the path of the cue ball is different when using side spin at varying speeds of shot.

I suppose they could have gotten a little more technical and said "effective swerve" or "squerve". But they do say "low deflection" and "low swerve" which pretty much covers "the combined effects of squirt and swerve".

For more information on the definition of "squerve" just click here.

picture.php

But the clip/snip from the video clearly shows that the path of the cue ball varies with the speed of shot, when using side spin. They suggest that the amount of effective swerve is greater with traditional wooden shafts, which makes sense to me.

JoeyA

Did I understand their marketing video on swerve correctly? It showed the BeCue "swerves" the same on different speed shots, while other cues do not. They specifically were talking about swerve, not squirt, and not the combined effects of squirt plus swerve.

If that was indeed their message, that is flat out incorrect. Swerve happens due to the spin on the ball, and happens after the CB has separated from the tip. The stick has no influence on the swerve.

Last edited:

croscoe

Retired
Silver Member
"THE NEWLY DISCOVERED 5Th DIMENSION"

This coupled with CTE and there WILL BE NO NEED FOR LESSONS..

We will have a world full of PRO'S. All shooting on 12' tables with 2.8" pockets. :thumbup:

Last edited:

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
Huh???

This coupled with CTE and there WILL BE NO NEED FOR LESSONS..

We will have a world full of PRO'S. All shooting on 12" tables with 2.8" pockets. :thumbup:

How many 2.8 inch pockets can you fit on a 12 inch table??? J.K. I knew what you meant.

Jaden

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member

I'm just going to say this. That reads like a bunch of marketing BS by an ad agency, but my dealings with them have been nothing like that. They have been really upfront and honestly answered every question I asked and I asked a lot. Their customer service really is great. It's hard not to like these guys.

JoeyA

Silver Member
I'm just going to say this. That reads like a bunch of marketing BS by an ad agency, but my dealings with them have been nothing like that. They have been really upfront and honestly answered every question I asked and I asked a lot. Their customer service really is great. It's hard not to like these guys.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the marketing was done by a wannabee ad agency. I mean, someone has to translate their information so that potential customers' interest will be aroused.

They should have hired PJ to do the write up.

I SURE DO WISH THAT THERE WAS A THOROUGH TRANSLATION OF THE DIAGRAMS ON THEIR WEBSITE. (IM JUST CURIOUS)

JoeyA

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the marketing was done by a wannabee ad agency. I mean, someone has to translate their information so that potential customers' interest will be aroused.

They should have hired PJ to do the write up.

I SURE DO WISH THAT THERE WAS A THOROUGH TRANSLATION OF THE DIAGRAMS ON THEIR WEBSITE. (IM JUST CURIOUS)

JoeyA

They needed a slogan

How about: "Shoot your balls off in style. Be the Cue" :smile:

or maybe I should just stick to the travel business.

JoeyA

Silver Member
They needed a slogan

How about: "Shoot your balls off in style. Be the Cue" :smile:

or maybe I should just stick to the travel business.

Okay...maybe "BeDaCue". :boring2:
JoeyA

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For anyone who is interested or searching for BeCue material....
I dropped in an update on the main page before the interview with links to the various AZ user reviews that have been written surrounding the BeCue.

There will be some more equipment to hit the market in the near future.
I'm waiting to get confirmation on the BeCue booth at super billiards expo later this month for those that are interested in trying one out.