Illegal Subsitute - FORFEIT

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Ok, played in IL ACS State Tourney. Played a team that did the following;

Match was to start at 9am. they were still hitting balls till 9:05am. Then come over and say, Ok, we're ready to start.

I tell the guy, hey, one of our guys is still in the restaurant paying his check. His exact reply, "that's not my problem".

Then, when a teammate is breaking, they call illegal, as the head of the cue ball was over the "line". My team mate gives a look like, who cares, and moves it back, literally one inch.

We are playing on Valley Tables, with the shiny metal around the edges. Guy on my team, puts down a piece of 4x4 inch piece of cloth over the metal rail part in the corner when he shoots from there so as not to scratch his cue. Being doing that for years. The other team, jumps up, and says "you can't do that", calls a ref over, they discuss for nearly 5 minutes, and the ref says you can't use the cloth. Ok, no biggie, he shoots without it.

Now, we are in the final round, close score, two very good teams. They turn in their roster for the final round, for the last 5 games to decide (we are in losers bracket, so loser goes home).

The first game is played, and second game is getting under way as the last game of the last round just got completed.

The captain says he needs to make a change to the line up. I looked up at him and said, "really" ? After all your complaints, now you want a favor from us?" He says, he can't play the guy who is shooting fourth, cause their guy and our guy had already played each other. You can't play same person more than once. Thus, why you need to be aware of your substitutes in team events. Once you turn in your roster you can't change it, because then you saw our roster moves as well.

So, I tell him you put your sub in the wrong spot when you subbed him in, and that's your fault not mine. He stated, not nicely, I might add, that "you're going to hold us to that, that's bs" I never said I was going to hold them to it, just letting him know he made a mistake, and see how he reacts...well, he tried the vinegar approach, which I'm not personally fond of, and much prefer the honey method :thumbup:.

Now, I'm kinda pissed, and said, god damn right I am, and went over and got a ref, who ruled it was an illegal sub, and the game is a forfeit, and pretty much giving us the match if we don't let them run out the last game. Amazing, if they had been the least bit respectful or good sports, we most likely would have given them a pass, and said, oh, honest mistake, but not they way they went about things.

Now, they are calling us "cheaters" for the final game, crying and moaning, what a bunch of cheaters we are... even threatening violence because of it. I still have to pot some balls in my last game to cinch it. He ran out to the 8 and missed. I think I only needed 4 balls, but ran out just for fun.

The one brave sole on their team, the captain was so courageous, 6 feet tall, and about 35, that he walked over to threaten me, the oldest guy on the team at 52, and limping from two recent knee surgeries for my left ACL, bypassing our very own 29 year old 6'5" 260 pound guy on the team. LOL. I laughed at him and said take your best shot cause I'm gonna own you afterwards, and hoped he had a nice house ;) He then sat down.

Then one of the guys followed us to our next match so he could tell the other team how much we cheated. Now, the other team is from the same pool room as us, and we are all friends.

So, I walk up like I don't know them, while the other guy is telling them what happened. So I agree that we cheated, and that we put some serious moves on them, and said it usually doesn't work against the smart teams, but the yokels from Southern Illinois fall for it all the time. He then walked away not knowing what to say or do. Ok, was not nice on my part, but I was a little tired and pissed he had the gall to follow us to our next match.

First and only time we ran into a problem in a state or national event. But I promise, my "cheating" days are behind me for good ;)

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you mean rules?

Kim

Nope I mean drama.

I once was at a tournament and while waiting, I was gambling cheap with locals.

It was handicapped at our APA level, so the tournament was just like playing league matches.

Before the tournament they announced the players and their skill levels for the Calcutta.

I think I was rated a 3, and after seeing me play while gambling some chick started a big scene that I was much better than a 3.

So as expected since I wasn't local I was raised to a 5. Nice huh?

Drama.

Ken

Dockter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lmao, it's funny how the ones that complain the most always expect other teams to let their shit fly.

MiscueBlues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you mean rules?

Kim

Too much distraction for sure...

When you wake up in the morning do you say 'today I'm gonna talk' or 'today I'm gonna shoot'

Pick your leagues, tournaments and matches carefully or you might not be playing the game you came to play.

branpureza

Ginacue
Silver Member
I enjoyed this. Nothing beats instant karma.

If you're so uptight about winning that you complain when someone covers a jagged edge of the pool table to prevent damage to their cue then you probably suck at life anyway.

Reactions: KRJ
My answer is you are a cry baby...........and possibly sounds like you think your'e tough or clever, but thats just an outside obv....

philly

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
That's why I don't play APA and such. Hear too many stories. So much drama. You can keep it!

DanO

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was also there. One match out of the $.

Another rule that is not understood is the 60% core player rule. You must have at least 3 players from you core team in the lineup at all times. Look at the team rosters you were given at your first match. If a team you are playing does not have 3 players per round with a C next to their name after a substitution, it is also a game forfeit.

ChicagoJoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Glad it worked out in your favor. I was there. While Illinois state is usually a great tournament, there's always some people like the team you played.

Bill S

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok, played in IL ACS State Tourney. Played a team that did the following;

Match was to start at 9am. they were still hitting balls till 9:05am. Then come over and say, Ok, we're ready to start.

I tell the guy, hey, one of our guys is still in the restaurant paying his check. His exact reply, "that's not my problem".

Then, when a teammate is breaking, they call illegal, as the head of the cue ball was over the "line". My team mate gives a look like, who cares, and moves it back, literally one inch.

We are playing on Valley Tables, with the shiny metal around the edges. Guy on my team, puts down a piece of 4x4 inch piece of cloth over the metal rail part in the corner when he shoots from there so as not to scratch his cue. Being doing that for years. The other team, jumps up, and says "you can't do that", calls a ref over, they discuss for nearly 5 minutes, and the ref says you can't use the cloth. Ok, no biggie, he shoots without it.

Now, we are in the final round, close score, two very good teams. They turn in their roster for the final round, for the last 5 games to decide (we are in losers bracket, so loser goes home).

The first game is played, and second game is getting under way as the last game of the last round just got completed.

The captain says he needs to make a change to the line up. I looked up at him and said, "really" ? After all your complaints, now you want a favor from us?" He says, he can't play the guy who is shooting fourth, cause their guy and our guy had already played each other. You can't play same person more than once. Thus, why you need to be aware of your substitutes in team events. Once you turn in your roster you can't change it, because then you saw our roster moves as well.

So, I tell him you put your sub in the wrong spot when you subbed him in, and that's your fault not mine. He stated, not nicely, I might add, that "you're going to hold us to that, that's bs" I never said I was going to hold them to it, just letting him know he made a mistake, and see how he reacts...well, he tried the vinegar approach, which I'm not personally fond of, and much prefer the honey method :thumbup:.

Now, I'm kinda pissed, and said, god damn right I am, and went over and got a ref, who ruled it was an illegal sub, and the game is a forfeit, and pretty much giving us the match if we don't let them run out the last game. Amazing, if they had been the least bit respectful or good sports, we most likely would have given them a pass, and said, oh, honest mistake, but not they way they went about things.

Now, they are calling us "cheaters" for the final game, crying and moaning, what a bunch of cheaters we are... even threatening violence because of it. I still have to pot some balls in my last game to cinch it. He ran out to the 8 and missed. I think I only needed 4 balls, but ran out just for fun.

The one brave sole on their team, the captain was so courageous, 6 feet tall, and about 35, that he walked over to threaten me, the oldest guy on the team at 52, and limping from two recent knee surgeries for my left ACL, bypassing our very own 29 year old 6'5" 260 pound guy on the team. LOL. I laughed at him and said take your best shot cause I'm gonna own you afterwards, and hoped he had a nice house ;) He then sat down.

Then one of the guys followed us to our next match so he could tell the other team how much we cheated. Now, the other team is from the same pool room as us, and we are all friends.

So, I walk up like I don't know them, while the other guy is telling them what happened. So I agree that we cheated, and that we put some serious moves on them, and said it usually doesn't work against the smart teams, but the yokels from Southern Illinois fall for it all the time. He then walked away not knowing what to say or do. Ok, was not nice on my part, but I was a little tired and pissed he had the gall to follow us to our next match.

First and only time we ran into a problem in a state or national event. But I promise, my "cheating" days are behind me for good ;)

same rule applies at BCAPL events. You did not cheat, just enforced the rules.

Bill S

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's certainly plenty of drama in gambling as well. If there wasn't, they wouldn't write books about it.

Well not much for me.

I was playing $5/game 9 ball for kicks until the 8 ball tournament started.

I am no big time gambler, usually $5 game 9 ball or $10/20 game one pocket.

Maybe because I gamble so cheap is the reason I haven't ran into the drama.

Ken

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
I'll always give the other team the benefit of the doubt, right up until they pull some kind crap like your guy did. Then to have the balls to ask for a favor from you, what nerve.
I once told another team that I wouldn't forget what they acted like when they were a whole "tool" box and several months later I let them know I hadn't forgot when the first player they played ensured they would exceed the 23 rule. So I let them break, called the foul, called our div rep and made them forfeit the trophy night match. Later our team agreed that was kind of a petty thing to do but no one was sorry and the rest of the division loved that we took full advantage of their mistake. Karma kills...

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
My answer is you are a cry baby...........and possibly sounds like you think your'e tough or clever, but thats just an outside obv....

Crybaby? Yet, I did not complain, whine or otherwise call them on any minor infractions, or be rude or threaten anyone with violence, not even once. So, not really sure how that comes off being tough? When I said I would "own you" that was meant strictly that I would be suing him till the cows came home. Rather than use or threaten violence, I used the available legal means at my disposal based on the choices he was about to make.

I called them one time on a serious rule violation, only after they whined for the first 60 minutes of the match. Now, if you want to call me a smart arse, that my friend, I can't even begin to mount a proper defense ;)

Last edited:

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I'll always give the other team the benefit of the doubt, right up until they pull some kind crap like your guy did. Then to have the balls to ask for a favor from you, what nerve.
I once told another team that I wouldn't forget what they acted like when they were a whole "tool" box and several months later I let them know I hadn't forgot when the first player they played ensured they would exceed the 23 rule. So I let them break, called the foul, called our div rep and made them forfeit the trophy night match. Later our team agreed that was kind of a petty thing to do but no one was sorry and the rest of the division loved that we took full advantage of their mistake. Karma kills...

Good One :)

I have to admit, one member of their team was a great guy. He shook our hands afterwards, and we even told him, hey we didn't want to do it, but getting called on ever little thing by your captain left us no choice. He said he understood completely. He also shot with a dynamite looking Diveney cue, and told him so.

xXGEARXx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's exactly what it is. I am certainly not saying what the other team did was OK, because if that is true (again, "The Internet"), that is some BS. I can certainly see this guy plucking away at the cords until someone has had enough. Then, of course, being true to form as I always thought this guy was, he then screams "law". LOL... Why am I not surprised.

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is the main reason I don't play leagues anymore.

Too much drama.

Ken

Same reason I quit years ago...I then watch a match between SVB and Scott Frost the other day. Scott wants to take a break, probably restroom, and Shane says, "no, you've already had a break"..in the last game Shane shoots a straight in obvious 8 ball, and Scott says you didn't call the 8, and even calls the ref over, I guess to get back at him for not letting him have his break...really? It's even getting hard to watch a match anymore!

Dockter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not nearly as fun as yours but we had a funny move tried to pull on us while at state this weekend and we actually lost one because of a broken rule.

The one the guy didn't know the rules made me laugh. He breaks and made one. One of my teammates didn't know he made one and I wasn't sure if I could say anything and I'm really sure he didn't know he made one. My teammate gets up and starts looking at the table. I'm pretty sure his team told him he made one while she is looking over the table. He doesn't say a word. She shoots and makes one, I figured he was going to call a fould. He didn't. He waited until she missed a shot then called a fould. I told him he was to late to call the foul, it had to be done after the first shot. He didn't like that idea and demanded a ref. The ref told him the same thing. He was pissed and admitted he was going to let her run off as much as she could of the table before he called it. I wish she would have ran it to the 8. I'm glad we beat them because I thought it was a super shitty move since we had been talking and joking with the team from the start and if I make one on the break and my opponent goes to shoot, I let them know I made one. It pretty much pissed me off the rest of the match.

The second one sucked. We were supposed to patch the 8 ball unless it was decided before the matches that we weren't patching. We only had one match before that where they wanted to patch instead of just call it. First break of the game my buddy scratches. He wasn't paying attention and she takes the ball and plays a ball in hand ( supposed to be a ball in hand in the kitchen) my buddy sees it right after she shoots and tells her he could call a foul but he will let it go but just be careful because some people will call a foul on her. Same match he forgets to patch the 8 and they take the first win. I hate the patching rule and if you are going to use it then do it on every shot but he broke the stupid rule so it was their win.