Illegal Subsitute - FORFEIT

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nope I mean drama.

I once was at a tournament and while waiting, I was gambling cheap with locals.

It was handicapped at our APA level, so the tournament was just like playing league matches.

Before the tournament they announced the players and their skill levels for the Calcutta.

I think I was rated a 3, and after seeing me play while gambling some chick started a big scene that I was much better than a 3.

So as expected since I wasn't local I was raised to a 5. Nice huh?

Drama.

Ken

It has bee years since I played in a handicapped tournament but my experience was the locals and people who frequented that pool hall got a break on their handicap and the best player usually outran his handicap and won the tournament.

The Calcutta would tell you who the best players were more than the handicaps.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I seen some weird things happen at the team MI BCA state tourney this past weekend.

And we were right in the thick of it. lol

Team match is played on 2 tables at the same time.

Table 1 ,,opponent has 8 ball only on table,,surrounded by stripes and has no good way to hit 8,,,,for a legal hit. But he is aiming up a 2 rail kick for a legal hit.

Our player ,on table 2, tells our player on table 1,, that he should call a ref to watch the hit.

Immediately,,opponent on table 2 says that is a foul. That he cannot tell him to get a ref.

Ref comes over and confirms,,it is now BIH to opponent on table 1. He won the game because of it.

lol

After this happened ,we realized that the guy who called this a foul,,,cannot say that this was a foul!!!! Since it wasn't his game!!! LMAO

We was all laughing about it. Too bad we didn't think of it a few minutes earlier. The poor Ref would have been confused!!!

And what a terrible rule.

It is something like this. When player does not have control of the table,,,your team mates CAN talk to him. But you cannot tell him to get a Ref!!! WTF???

There was more BS calls later too. This was the worst run state tourney I have ever seen!!!! They changed times on schedule to a earlier time and people forfeited their matches because of it!!!
And some were out of tournament because of it.

People running it ,,didn't care!!! They announced "some" players to their matches over PA. And others they did not announce!!!!

yeah, that's crazy. Anyone on the team should be able to call a ref. I prefer one if there is a possibility of a bad hit, that I will call one over so we don't have to argue if it was good or bad. The rules should be call a ref on shots that are gonna be close, thus, no arguments, not give bih for doing the right thing??

MiscueBlues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Saw quite a bit of nonsense this year at the State tourney. I really choose to ignore it all and just play. We never check players, substitutions, cloth on the table, team shirts etc...............none of those things will give any team the edge IMO! When they act like tools, I choose to ignore them even further. I give them none of my time at all. Typically as you progress through the ranks you see less and less of this activity.

The one that disturbed me this year, was during the juniors. The table next to my son had a 14 and under match going. The Mom of one of the players had a ref come over, because her Son's opponent did not have a collared shirt. Of course the player didn't know what was going on, nor did the Mom's son.

The Father of the boy with no collar started berating the Mother calling it a cheap way to get to a win etc...Then yelled at his Son for talking to the other boy.

Some random woman stepped up and gave the boy a shirt so he could play.

I see both sides of this situation. The Mom was right, and the Father who was upset was right. However, the kids are the kids, let them talk and be kids...................it all just became very awkward. People just need to read the rules!!

If it were me, I would have said "hey Dad, just FYI, your Son needs a collared shirt to play.....I'm not going to say anything, but want you to be informed if he progresses here and someone calls you on it!" I think this would have been a much better approach!

POOL DRAMA.........................HATE IT!

I like your mindset when it comes to these kinds of shenanigans... This kind of thinking doesn't come natural to most people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChicagoJoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I seen some weird things happen at the team MI BCA state tourney this past weekend.

And we were right in the thick of it. lol

Team match is played on 2 tables at the same time.

Table 1 ,,opponent has 8 ball only on table,,surrounded by stripes and has no good way to hit 8,,,,for a legal hit. But he is aiming up a 2 rail kick for a legal hit.

Our player ,on table 2, tells our player on table 1,, that he should call a ref to watch the hit.

Immediately,,opponent on table 2 says that is a foul. That he cannot tell him to get a ref.

Ref comes over and confirms,,it is now BIH to opponent on table 1. He won the game because of it.

lol

After this happened ,we realized that the guy who called this a foul,,,cannot say that this was a foul!!!! Since it wasn't his game!!! LMAO

We was all laughing about it. Too bad we didn't think of it a few minutes earlier. The poor Ref would have been confused!!!

And what a terrible rule.

It is something like this. When player does not have control of the table,,,your team mates CAN talk to him. But you cannot tell him to get a Ref!!! WTF???

There was more BS calls later too. This was the worst run state tourney I have ever seen!!!! They changed times on schedule to a earlier time and people forfeited their matches because of it!!!
And some were out of tournament because of it.

People running it ,,didn't care!!! They announced "some" players to their matches over PA. And others they did not announce!!!!

I've always thought that was bad form, unless you're the captain. I have a player that is notorious for things like that. Whenever he says something like get a ref, i'll just ignore him.

Inaction

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Regarding the dress code:

A well known young SD woman player was in Vegas (or Reno), and did not have the proper attire. The fix was to put on something that looked ragged after ripping on possibly a men's shirt to make it fit. It was much worse than the offending garment (halter top or too short of a skirt).

For the boy, was the requirement just that he be wearing a collared shirt? Regardless what the rest of the shirt looked like?

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was a ref at the VNEA State tournament.

The mixed team events when fine, and really never had any issues.

When the women's team events started, all hell broke lose. They cheated, *****ed, whined and generally made the ref suffer.:eek:

I only did it a couple of years and I had had enough.

YIKES:mad:

Ken

Reactions: KRJ

tksix

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Regarding the dress code:

A well known young SD woman player was in Vegas (or Reno), and did not have the proper attire. The fix was to put on something that looked ragged after ripping on possibly a men's shirt to make it fit. It was much worse than the offending garment (halter top or too short of a skirt).

For the boy, was the requirement just that he be wearing a collared shirt? Regardless what the rest of the shirt looked like?

The rule states collared shirt..............as well as no ripped jeans.

flash5153

none
Silver Member
I was a ref at the VNEA State tournament.

The mixed team events when fine, and really never had any issues.

When the women's team events started, all hell broke lose. They cheated, *****ed, whined and generally made the ref suffer.:eek:

I only did it a couple of years and I had had enough.

YIKES:mad:

Ken

This made me laugh because I have witnessed it myself!! It is comical. I have had refs tell me ,,never again!!!

As a spectator one time,,I watched a woman call a ref,,and asked him to make the people move ,,that were 20-30 feet behind the table, . Because they were in her sight line!!! LMAO!!!

I always wondered why(some of) these woman act so terrible in a pool match? Where in any other situation they probably would not be this way !!
Woman reading this might hate it,,,but it is undeniable!!

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
agreed.

Over the line, so he moved it back an inch? If it's over the line, it doesn't matter if it's a mm or an inch.

Cloth as to not scratch his cue? The several 10's of thousands of other players who don't do this with their cues are what? Shooting with junk cues? Not as valuable as your teammates cue?

Then this

"So, I tell him you put your sub in the wrong spot when you subbed him in, and that's your fault not mine. He stated, not nicely, I might add, that "you're going to hold us to that, that's bs" I never said I was going to hold them to it, just letting him know he made a mistake, and see how he reacts...well, he tried the vinegar approach, which I'm not personally fond of, and much prefer the honey method"

That's just a dick move, you know it. I never said I was going to hold them to it, just letting him know that he made a mistake and see how he reacts. You could avoided a lot if not all of this by acting in a much different manner, however leagues are riddled with instances like this.

Lmao, it's funny how the ones that complain the most always expect other teams to let their shit fly.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
agreed.

Cloth as to not scratch his cue? The several 10's of thousands of other players who don't do this with their cues are what? Shooting with junk cues? Not as valuable as your teammates cue?

Get a grip, did anyone suggest other cues are not important or not as valuable? Nope, but nice try. So, this one guy is particular about his cue, biggest fcking whoop. Nobody would call such a dbag move, and nobody has ever called it before. Who in their right mind would give two craps if the guy didn't want to scratch his cue?

xXGEARXx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Get a grip, did anyone suggest other cues are not important or not as valuable? Nope, but nice try. So, this one guy is particular about his cue, biggest fcking whoop. Nobody would call such a dbag move, and nobody has ever called it before. Who in their right mind would give two craps if the guy didn't want to scratch his cue?
If it is in the rules, then how is it a dbag move? Granted, is it a bit odd? Yep. I have never seen anyone use a piece of cloth on a valley (that includes amatures and professionals). Cheapest cue I shoot with is about a grand and I've never used anything. That's why God gave use hands and a big brain to get creative with our bridge hand! Do I think it is a big deal? No, not at all. Again, rules are rules. Right?

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
If it is in the rules, then how is it a dbag move? Granted, is it a bit odd? Yep. I have never seen anyone use a piece of cloth on a valley (that includes amatures and professionals). Cheapest cue I shoot with is about a grand and I've never used anything. That's why God gave use hands and a big brain to get creative with our bridge hand! Do I think it is a big deal? No, not at all. Again, rules are rules. Right?

For one, I've Not seen a rule that states u can't do it, second, I didn't complain when they called it. So, if they like pretend rules, they must have loved it when I called the illegal substitute, which is actually a rule someone actually heard of. And it knocked them the fug out of the tourney !

MiscueBlues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For one, I've Not seen a rule that states u can't do it, second, I didn't complain when they called it. So, if they like pretend rules, they must have loved it when I called the illegal substitute, which is actually a rule someone actually heard of. And it knocked them the fug out of the tourney !

Wouldn't you rather have just beaten them on the table anyway? With their illegal sub and all their complaining, wouldn't that make outplaying them all the more satisfying?

Banks

Banned
Wouldn't you rather have just beaten them on the table anyway? With their illegal sub and all their complaining, wouldn't that make outplaying them all the more satisfying?

Meh, at that point they're not even worth the effort. Let them eat their actions.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member

Nope, we were quite satisfied that we played the game on their terms, as they wanted to play the rules game. Just they know now, next time they wanna go head to head in a battle of the wits, bring at least 1 guy with an IQ over 85 ;)

Funny thing is they called 3 nit picky things on our best player, won back to back state titles in 8 balls (2013 and 2014). Could not play in the singles this year due to flu. Coincidence? Doubtful. If you're gonna mess with someone might as be one of the best guys in the tourney !!

MiscueBlues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nope, we were quite satisfied that we played the game on their terms, as they wanted to play the rules game. Just they know now, next time they wanna go head to head in a battle of the wits, bring at least 1 guy with an IQ over 85 ;)

Funny thing is they called 3 nit picky things on our best player, won back to back state titles in 8 balls (2013 and 2014). Could not play in the singles this year due to flu. Coincidence? Doubtful. If you're gonna mess with someone might as be one of the best guys in the tourney !!

I would not be satisfied playing the rules game. Doesn't matter what the other guys are trying to pull, I come to play pool.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would not be satisfied playing the rules game. Doesn't matter what the other guys are trying to pull, I come to play pool.

it can be pretty satisfying fading their b.s. and beating them on the table any way.

i don't think it teaches them a lesson though like throwing the rules right back at them.

i have used both methods ...which one i use at any given time depends on how pissed off they get me.:D

Reactions: KRJ

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member

And that we did. In the next match, while they were packing up to go home ;)