WHY is the US Open on the 7 Foot tables now?

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't care what they call it. I'm ticked off that American pool is taking the cheap and easy way out, and I'm worried that it's going to do long-term damage to Americans' ability to play pool on an international stage.

Too late for that, no? Always makes me wonder what people mean when they say that the leagues are keeping pool alive. They are? The leagues are keeping the leagues alive. Americans don't tend to value activities like this anymore, and maybe we never really did. Too much thinking involved? Not enough action? No special effects? Pokemons not hiding in the pockets? People would just as soon make fun of it than try it. Same with bowling, chess, darts, board games etc...

Not saying we suck or anything like that, but I've been many other places where there's much greater apprecation for things like this, not because it makes money but because it's simply fun and it's ok not to bury your head your phone for a couple of hours here and there.

chevybob20

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let's just get one thing straight. Pro Cut refers to the dimension on the throat of the pocket. Diamond BB tables have shorter shelves and thus play easier. Go measure.

Regards

Nick B

Good idea Nick.

Would someone please get the measurements of a 7' Diamond and post them in the Table Difficulty Factor (TDF) for measuring table "toughness" thread?
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=324408

I measured one a long time ago and I remember the shelf was about the same depth as an Olhausen. But I do have a bad memory.

I prefer 9' table tournaments. But if it meant 7' tables or nothing then I'll take 7' tables.

Str8PoolPlayer

“1966 500 SuperFast”
Silver Member
I prefer 9' table tournaments. But if it meant 7' tables or nothing then I'll take 7' tables.

As long as WE are willing to "accept" playing Tournaments on 7ft. Tables,
the 9ft & 10ft Tables will rarely, if ever, be seen. It's ALL About the Money.

chevybob20

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As long as WE are willing to "accept" playing Tournaments on 7ft. Tables,
the 9ft & 10ft Tables will rarely, if ever, be seen. It's ALL About the Money.

It always will be about the money. It's a business. If a business can't make money it either makes changes or it folds (unless you're a bank doling cash out to elected officials. But let's leave that for NPR :thumbup: ). This game will turn around only if someone figures out how to make money from it.

I would be very disappointed if I couldn't watch pros play at all and all that was left was local pool.

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I asked before but noone gave an answer, if they are going to play on bar tables, why not just tighten the pockets to sizes like the chinese 8 ball table ones? Aren't those the same pocket sizes I keep seeing people playing in England and they play on bar tables.

Rico

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The money?

If its such a huge difference why couldn't all those pros beat Dave Matlock on the barbox.A tight bar table or 5in.pocketed 9ft. Pinehurst#2 was one of the shortest courses the PGA held a major even par was a good score.Hold a tourn. on the same day on 9ft. and barbox and 50,000 on the 9ft and 100,000 on 7 ft. see where they play.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your post is, first of all, contradictory. You are agreeing with someone saying it is "all about the money" but then discount the things that go into the money equation!

Second, and more importantly, as to the substance (a) Mark has previously explained why it is more expensive to use 9' tables - my recollection is that it is largely due to shipping costs (it is cheaper to ship 7' tables because you can get a lot more of them in a truck or container); and (b) Mark has explained that 7' events generate significantly more PPV buys - not amateur entrants into the pro events.

I have no reason to doubt Mark on either of these statements. And, as I and other have said, he's the promoter - he gets to make the choices. You (and others) are free to not watch his events, and even I suppose to complain about them, but neither is going to magically create more 9' events.

How many Bar Boxes are there in the amature events and how many are in the pro event
of corse it's more for 9s are more but how many do you need for these short field so called open events ,,
I highly doubt there's any real evidence that would suggest the viewership is more on Bar Boxes as opposed to 9fts based on table size alone
The fact is most people only have a problem because it's coined a U.S. Open , 20 yrs from now when people look back at players accomplishments a U.S. Open 9 ball 10 ball and 8 ball will all be looked at as the same thing when infact there no where near the same thing
It's not about creating more events it's about keeping the Term US Open sacred and not tainted

GaryB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have no interest in watching or playing bar box pool. If I had no access to 9' tables it might be different but I doubt it.

US Open on bar boxes is just a bastardization of the title.

JMO

arps

tirador (ng pansit)
Silver Member

so people can say the word "pack" more often.
"yeah, that kid played so well he ran a 5-pack! i bet he could run an 8-pack if he used the super magic chalk!":grin-square:

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I asked before but noone gave an answer, if they are going to play on bar tables, why not just tighten the pockets to sizes like the chinese 8 ball table ones? Aren't those the same pocket sizes I keep seeing people playing in England and they play on bar tables.

I don't think they'll be the same size as English pool balls are only 2 inches rather than 2.25.

That said I've been saying the same thing, I'd like to see 8-Ball globally try to merge into one discipline, played on Chinese style tables, 7 footers for bars/pubs and 9 footers for tournaments.

One option that is used (or at least was it may not be anymore) is in the EPA English Pool World Championships they use 7 footers up until the semi-finals, then 8 footers for the semi's and final.

justtapitin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll never watch or play pool on a 7' table unless Karen Corr is giving me a free lesson on one. Don't have anything against 7-footers other than I'm just plain not interested in them regardless of the level of play. No hate, just complete indifference. If my 9' Diamond Pro hadn't fit in my house I would not have bought a table.

But don't take any of that "girlie" table stuff. If you enjoy playing and watching on 7-footers, have at it. What do you care what the haters say? They're just trying to think of themselves as the "real" pool players.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

"yeah, that kid played so well he ran a 5-pack! i bet he could run an 8-pack if he used the super magic chalk!":grin-square:

And dont forget the shoes.....you cant forget the shoes........ :grin-square:

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

Alternating breaks at the US Open 10-ball and 8-ball, but keep on keeping on.

Freddie <~~~ pack

Baby Huey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't think for one minute that switching to the smaller 7' tables is the first time pool has downsized it's playing equipment. For at least 50 years pool was played on 5x10' tables. All pool rooms had 10 footers then for some reason (history only knows) we switched to 9 footers. My opinion is that pool is becoming more of a "bar" game vs a pool room game. The game is evolving whether we like it or not. Pool is space conscious now and that means less rent to pay to open a room. I think we are going to see rooms with the same number of bar tables and full sized tables as the norm vs the exception. Personally I think the bar game has its merits but then becomes very limited in terms of what games can be played to any degree of proficiency. There is a high degree of push back coming from the players and I'm sure the BCA is tired of hearing this question being raised over and over. Until some other promoters come forward and really make an effort to bring back the 9 foot games like 14.1 or one pocket we will continue to downsize the game such that the bar game will take over. I believe that the International Stars will not compete on bar boxes too much longer and will not travel here to play. Maybe the Mosconi Cup will become a bar table event in the USA and a regulation event when played in Europe.....lol.

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I'm coming off like I do not know anything, please let me know.

But where is this idea that bar tables are taking over is coming from? I've been back to playing pool after a 10 year hiatus last year and every pool room I go to have more 9 footers than 7 footers. One of my local places has 10 9 footers as their main tables and the four 7 footers tend to be in the back and they only rarely ever see anyone playing on them except some people looking for a fun time at the place.

The only times I ever see bar tables is at bars that feel like having a pool table but can only afford one and space is at a premium for them because they are not a pool hall first.

So again, where is this idea coming from that bar tables will be the norm or are currently taking over?

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The main pool room I go to has about 14 8ft, 2 9ft, and 2 valley 7ft. The 2 9ft's are always occupied. Tournaments played on the 8ft, and hardly anyone ever on the valleys.

arps

tirador (ng pansit)
Silver Member
kidding aside, i think 8-ball pool on a 7-footer is more difficult than on a 9 foot table.